Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zelda: The Wettest Fart.

I hope I'm wrong. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Suspicious Dish posted:

now what incentive will the speedrunners choose for the botw charity marathon run

This game is going to require a whole loving week to itself just for a speed run.

I hope there's some awesome form of flight we get for this massive world, I have a feeling the horse is going to start feeling really, really god drat slow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think he means when it's just in the mossy forest mimicking LTTP's art.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, this kicks loving rear end, I got sprung when I saw that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glad to see people excited for Havok physics again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

The game does make use of the control scheme to emulate real motions in addition to doing attacks that follow the direction of your swipes. Doing a direct 1-for-1 swordplay would require something far more complex than we're able to do right now with anything.

But you never had to swing, just do a simple flick of the wrist and Link would full-on swing, which was the most efficient way of playing (without the motion+ misread what you were trying to do). 1:1 would of been possible back then and it surely it possible now (IK be damned) and we're seeing it in VR. Anyway, if Link is just going to use canned animations there was no reason to have the motion controls.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cTt_nxTWo

Basically, if it uses NVIDIA's brand newest chip it'll be pretty close to the Xbone/PS4 ballpark, if not, well.

Not quite; the X1 isn't all that powerful, it's more along the lines of PS3/Xbox360, now if they use the X2 then you have something to talk about... which is the astronomical price tag the NX would bring.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

If you're only peripherally aware of Metroid fandom you'd have known about it for years

Yeah, but it still didn't have much publicity until release. I didn't even know it was around for 10 or so years until a couple months back.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm curious, why does Nintendo act upon all this fan stuff when Valve never shuts down fan projects like this and you even see some of them released on Steam from time to time? Valve doesn't seem to care about things that use their IPs and they aren't losing their trademarks or anything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So shouldn't Nintendo be snatching up the really good projects like AM2R and distributing them to make a buck? I mean, why not grow their IPs with such things rather than just shut them down?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Well, for one, Nintendo likes having extremely strong control over their IPs. It's a major factor in why they remain a console developer instead of going third party and it is only recently they've been willing to branch out to mobile.

Another is that it's impossible to tell the quality or viability of a project like AM2R at first blush or indeed until it's almost finished. "This project looks good" devolving into a giant messy clusterfuck is common enough that you only need to look at Kickstarter to get a feel for it. AM2R was in development for 10 years and was the work of novice developers who had the advantage of no timelines or budgets to work on. Snatch it up early enough and you risk it exploding. Snatch it up late and you look at PR troubles for taking a 'free' thing and making it cost money.

Third is that "snatching up a project' can be messy when it involves a bunch of fans creating a work together without contracts or previous authorization. Imagine if one guy who did spritework or music or something started making a fuss over it. It's super-easy for fan projects made for fun to implode if they go commercial and it can become a huge headache.

Fourth is that it can legitimately devalue the brand. If Nintendo makes Metroid Dread, a 2D sidescrolling callback to the classic Metroids, you'll now have people going "Well, someone made Metroid 2 Remake FOR FREE, why should I pay $20 for it?" If Nintendo grabs it and releases it for $5 you'll hear the same thing. People won't care that it is a 10-year project using recycled assets, just that they got it for free. If Nintendo isn't associated with it then you'll still hear that but it'll at least be "a fan did it" instead of "Nintendo did it."

Seems like a waste of talent; maybe not even scoop up the project but the developers of said projects. Also, what would happen if someone's project was C&D'd, but they went back and replaced all of the art with original stuff so it wasn't just a Metroid game or something, would Nintendo have any grounds to stop the project now that it technically has nothing to do with Metroid?

greatn posted:

Look at how much Capcom has done with the Mega Man property after they published the Mega Man vs Street Fighter fangame! They released an nes ROM collection another company begged to let them make!

Yeah but no one cares about Megaman anyway, so all is good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BillmasterCozb posted:

i mean, everyone hated a certain upcoming metroid game after a 30 second trailer

That's no Metroid, god drat you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

He also is a Zelda aficionado, his favorite is Big Blue Ganon

Old school pig Ganon? That's what's up. I hope we get that in a 3D title one of these days.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm trying to think of all of the pig Ganon appearances and there's a bit, but only three games where he even has color (LOZ, LTTP, FSA); I guess maybe he looked up art for Ganon or something.

I wouldn't doubt if he stumbled upon the LTTP art with Ganon and Link facing off which is dope as all hell.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ometeotl posted:

Risk. All it takes is one "oops, the developer snuck a racist slur into the source code" kind of deal and suddenly Nintendo's responsible.

That's true, I don't think of any game company's Nintendo would want to gently caress around with PR nightmares like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I thought if anything Wario would be a Jewish stereotype...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zack Ater posted:

The linked Oracle games :colbert:

Was he blue there? I can't remember but I don't even know if I got to do that because of the whole link bullshit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Beetle sucked.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2248/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2235/

Obviously you'll need to play via flash cart or an emulator for these to work. It's not perfect and some obvious things you still need stylus controls for but it's a much more comfortable way to play the games, especially for weirdos like me that finds handwriting awkward as well.

Anyway to get these working on a modded 3DS?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Have we seen Link wearing anything else? I'm assuming the game is going to have armor pieces so you can clownsuit poo poo together and dress Link up however. I'm really hoping there's throw-back outfits for Link so we can look like Link from any other Zelda. The LTTP/LA/LBW is the best.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

coffeecup posted:

-knight armor
-samurai outfit and top-knot hairdo

Oh poo poo, any screens of this?

Patter Song posted:

They're different looks. LTTP Link had purple hair.

I was talking about the outfit drat you. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Trent posted:

I have this one

Dope.

romanowski posted:

surely by now you've seen the trailer they released back at e3

Probably did but I can't remember a single thing about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

coffeecup posted:

Yo s.i.r.e. here's a blog post that shows the samurai outfit. It may be a little more interpretable in motion though. Video can be found in the link at the start of the article.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Man, I'm really not digging the muddy as hell world textures when Link's using his Sheikan iPad telescope thing, I guess they didn't want to deal with pop-in but man it looks ugly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It technically is. Isn't all the gameplay shown so far from that initial starting zone?

Yeah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just beat Mad Max on PC, which is awesome, but I just realized the worst part about a game this big: getting 100% sucks. The new Zelda looks absolutely massive and I'm wondering how they're going to do collecting because on the one hand, if you don't have enough stuff to collect you have world that's big for no reason but if you put too much stuff to fill in that world then things can easily become tedious. Zelda's always been really good about having a lot to do but not too much where you have to sink in 80 hours to do it, I always like that I can pick up a Zelda title and see the whole thing in a day or even single sitting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Suspicious Dish posted:

The quality of Twilight Princess's dungeons are on par with OoT / MM.

I wouldn't say that, I can't even remember any outside of the Yeti mansion and bits and pieces of the others, I remember the overall themes but they're pretty weak.

Guy Goodbody posted:

That sucks. Do any of the other 3DS Zeldas have dress up options?

TP has different designs for the different tunics, but other than tunic colors in the Zelda titles (rings and poo poo too) I don't recall any having much dress up. There's the starter gear (TP) and pjs (WW) though but they get replaced.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IronicDongz posted:

TP's Yeti mansion and Arbiter's grounds are a couple of my favorite dungeons in any LoZ game.

Which one was Arbiter's Grounds? I don't recall that at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh, I only remember the boss and nothing about the dungeon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Goodsmile has their Twilight Princess Link and Zelda figmas up for preorder if you're into figures and poo poo like me, they look baller too:

http://special.goodsmile.info/figma_link_twilight_princess/en/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

coffeecup posted:

Cool! For some reason I never expected them to make more besides the two Skyward Sword Links and the LBW Link. Guess they've made enough profit to do more. And probably has to do with the TP HD release. It would be cool if the trend continued and they tackled other games; I'd love a good Wind Waker Link (the "nendoroid" version is a little weird).

Surprised there's a Zelda this time around, too. I imagine the further you stray from a series' most iconic character, you end up dividing a niche market further and further and it stops being worth it to produce. I'll remain cautiously pessimistic about ever getting a Dampe toy.

I'm really hoping for some sort of Ganondorf figure or even a huge-rear end Ganon, those seem highly unlikely. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Geostomp posted:

If they do that nonlinear dungeon design again, I want to see challenges for items instead of just some jerk in a shop. It's nowhere near as rewarding to the way ALbW did it.

Yeah, I think if the items were hidden in the overworld with little stories and characters tied to them would of been better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder if that was ever the initial plan from the outset but they scrapped it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

coffeecup posted:

This is how the upgrade system works, with the little shell duders.

But I meant more along the lines of Majora's Mask where most of the things you find on the Overworld were connected to some character and you helped them with some problem they had. I loved helping everyone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

coffeecup posted:

Oh oh yeah. That would be neat to see again. When it's the basis of a game like "learn the origin of Link's SWORD or his HAT" it kinda falls flat. I don't care why his clothing is green.

I'm not sure why, but it definitely works better as little self-contained story vignettes like "I'm a kid and I'm too sick to catch bugs, borrow my net for a bit so I can play outside vicariously."

It just gives the minor characters a little something more than "I'm just a guy that stands here all the time," which is why Majora's Mask is the best.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hedrigall posted:

This is a bit off-topic, but the new HBO show Westworld gives me a huge Majora's Mask vibe.

Basic premise, for those who don't know: It's a futuristic theme park with androids populating a wild-west town. They're basically artificially intelligent NPCs. Every few days the park's "narrative" resets (with killed androids coming back to life and so on), and depending on what the new wave of guests decide to do, the events the androids play out change. In the show they even refer to the looping events as "cycles".

It's also a really good show with a great cast and some really creepy mysteries set up in the first episode.

Thanks for the heads up, never heard of this but I'm liking the premise. I'll definitely check it out now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaksmndynT8

Huh, forest water insta-kills the plant boss in WW, who knew?

That's cool, how did anyone even figure that out?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Wait, seriously? The starter sword has worse damage than a literal stick?

The Deku stick's as strong as the Master Sword I believe, and the jump attack is double damage, so you can also look at it as the Deku Stick can be as strong as a swing from the Biggoron Sword. lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Suspicious Dish posted:

is barrier skip RTA practical yet

I don't think anyone's found a reliable way of doing it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I've never played any of the portable Zeldas before, or even known much about them, so imagine my surprise and pleasure after I think about Oracle of Seasons with a few hours into it, and realize it's set in the Hyrule of Zelda 1.

What? I haven't played it in years so I don't recall anything about it but what makes it set in Zelda 1s world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't remember that at all, but it's been at least 10 years. Time to replay them.