Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention their rationale for Link being right-handed again is "the attack button is on the right side of the gamepad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They keep talking up the importance of surveying the landscape from on high but I haven't seen or heard anything about Tingle's inclusion in this game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Same but instead of this game it was the last like 10 games Nintendo's released for Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Infinitum posted:

Boring rear end Mario Tennis?

Okay, the last 10 or so games I bought. I'm not dumb enough to pin my hopes and dreams on a Mario sports game, thank christ.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wank posted:

Wait, what? Is 3DS the better version? That's the better option for me but it looks silly to me on the small screen.

It has more content (as if it needed more content) but it's only worth getting if you have a New 3DS, it runs like poo poo on regular 3DS. It's also missing multiplayer and the low res is obviously an issue.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Davoren posted:

Lots of people are saying they are buying the collectors edition to get wolf link, which is making me slightly paranoid that the amiibo itself which I just bought off ebay won't be the right thing for some reason.

The amiibo will be fine but the amiibo functionality in the new game uses data from TPHD to buff the wolf, so if you don't also use the amiibo with TPHD then your wolf will be capped at three hearts.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sam Faust posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking about Monolith Soft? Monolith is actually a different game company (did Shadow of Mordor).

Didn't Monolith Soft help with a different Nintendo game earlier that looked really good? Maybe Mario Kart 8?

They've worked on a bunch of Nintendo games over the last several years - Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, etc, basically anything with tons of assets.

Mario Kart 8 was co-developed by Namco-Bandai, as was Smash and Wii Sports Club.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FirstAidKite posted:

What did the wii u tablet do for the E3 demo? Was it just for inventory management or did it do something else?

I don't think it even did inventory management, it basically just displayed some of the map and a list of controls or something.

Aonuma made some comments about how it's annoying to have to look down at the gamepad but it was fine in the HD ports so I'm guessing they probably removed most of the Wii U-specific functionality for the sake of the NX version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
300 people isn't poo poo in modern AAA terms, not that anyone's honest about the resources these big games require to begin with.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I thought watch underscore dogs, which was one of Ubi's biggest games, had a reported 250 people on it?

Ubi's open-world games routinely and easily exceed that number, even if you ignore the eighty thousand global subsidiaries they credit for every game, and they put out multiple large-scale games a year, so they're pretty much running at full production all of the time, unlike a project like Zelda or other longer-burn projects like GTA (which had something like 1000 people working on it by the end) which spend more time in pre-production.

300 peoople is nothing to sneeze at but it's more impressive that they've achieved something of such scope and quality with a comparatively small team, I think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think the tablet was probably just supposed to resemble the Wii U gamepad. There are a lot of little elements that feel like they were designed with gamepad-specific functionality in mind but were then pared back, presumably for the sake of the NX version.

One thing I did see pointed out (maybe in this thread but gently caress research) is that the quick-select menus looks as if they're designed to work with clickable scroll-wheel shoulder buttons a la this recent Nintendo patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2015/0261321.html

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
gently caress flying mounts, just let people do this:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Calling it now, Link's an android.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That'll depend on whatever the NX is, surely.

You'd have to assume the inevitable mobile game will play like the DS games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The most "who gives a gently caress" timeline thing is Triforce Heroes, which is said to be a direct followup to ALBW with the same Link who somehow became a toon between games because reasons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mabels big day posted:

They need to fire the intern who said that and hire me instead.

They need to fire Aonuma and promote the intern.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

I'm watching Four Swords Adventures on Summer Games Done Quick right now, and man this game is insane. If it had online co-op, it would probably be one of the best regarded multiplayer games of all time.

It bugs me that they never made a followup (Triforce Heroes doesn't count), especially once they released a console with a second-screen controller as a core feature.. Even just a port of the game for Wii using Wii/DS connectivity back when both were ubiquitous would have been fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, what do people expect from the inevitable smartphone Zelda game? It seems safe to presume it'll control similarly to the DS games but how are they going change the format to fit the platform? Are people really going to get excited for a piecemeal, service-style Zelda game that's all dungeons or whatever?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cleretic posted:

It probably would have been, yes. From what I know they're working with the base ROM, which limits what they can add in pretty hard. Making the original Pokemon use wifi as a link cable is something for the emulator, which is far easier to rewrite.

It's the same reason Capcom couldn't backport stuff like swapping weapons ith shoulder buttons into the Megaman Legacy Collection.

Ages/Seasons already let you trade passwords via link cable.

Emulating link cable functions over wifi is actually pretty tough, so it's a shame that Nintendo went to all that effort for Pokemon but didn't bother updating their older VC releases with that functionality.

(Adding real-time weapon switching to the NES games would be substantially easier; I think the Legacy Collection games simply didn't want to alter the games.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Miyamoto said he envisioned child Link as 9 and the older Link as 16 but I don't know if that's accurate to what's said in the game.

EDIT: thanks Zelda wiki

quote:

In the "Iwata Asks" feature for Ocarina of Time 3D, Shigeru Miyamoto stated that in Ocarina of Time Link is 9 as a child and 16 as an adult.[62] This directly conflicted the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Official Nintendo Player's Guide, which stated that Link was 10 as a child.[63] In the same feature, Miyamoto stated that Link is about 12 in The Legend of Zelda and about 16 in The Adventure of Link.[64] According to Hyrule Historia, Link is 10 in The Legend of Zelda and 16 in The Adventure of Link.[52] According to The Official Nintendo Player's Guide, Link is 16 in The Adventure of Link.[65]

At the start of The Wind Waker, Link is given the Hero's Clothes to wear on his birthday, which are to be worn by the boys of Outset Island upon reaching the same age as the Hero of Time was when he set out on his journey.[66] Taking into account the age of the Hero of Time revealed in the "Iwata Asks" interview, the Hero of Winds would be 9 years old when he set out on his journey; however, the Toon Link trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl,[4] the Nintendo Power guide for The Wind Waker,[67] Zelda Box,[68] and the description for the Toon Link amiibo on the official Nintendo website all state he is 12 years old.[69] The difference in ages can be attributed in-universe to the corruption of information pertaining to the Hero of Time in the hundreds of years that passed between the events of Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker.

Shortly after the release of Twilight Princess, in an interview with Nintendo Dream Aonuma stated that Link is 16 years old in the game.[70] According to Hyrule Historia, Link from Skyward Sword is seventeen and a half years old.[71]

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 15, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Almost every Zelda game ever made is officially available on Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rama of Ra posted:

Except MM and LA... :eng99:

MM's available in PAL-land, I guess it hasn't made its way to NA yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bicyclops posted:

Does that include Phantom Hourglass, A Link Between Worlds, or the new weird multiplayer one? Those are the only three I haven't played yet.

The 3DS games (ALBW, Triforce Heroes) are the only ones you straight-up can't play on Wii U.

You can't buy the Game Boy games (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages & Seasons) or Four Swords Adventures for Wii U but they are playable via homebrew.

EDIT: oh and the Tingle game isn't available, ain't that some bullshit

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Did the Tingle game ever make it to the West?

The first one made it to Europe, the second one is Japan-only.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tecmo-Koei updated their Japanese page with this month's Hyrule Warriors DLC: Ravio, Yuga, Lorule adventure map, new costumes/recolours, 15 new fairies, etc: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/zelda-3ds/update_dlc4.htm

Bicyclops posted:

In my defense, while the fault is definitely mostly with me for being an insane person, it is really pointless for games to include things which are really tedious to get, even if they are not important for completing the game, and many of the rings in the Oracle games are tedious to get or involve abusing the RNG. Some of that is also true of Minish Cap, and it's why I hope Capcom doesn't work on Zelda games anymore.

Many of the people who made those games were hired by Capcom and are part of Nintendo's current Zelda team. The guy who directed those games directed Skyward Sword and is directing the new game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It was an assumption. Noone knows if or how the two versions will differ.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The core idea of an x-day cycle with NPC schedules came from Yoshiaki Koizumi - basically, he was working on pre-production for an original game with a similar concept when Aonuma requested he help out on Zelda, so he agreed with the proviso that they reuse the ideas from his original game and integrate them into the new Zelda.

Aonuma and Koizumi divvied up a lot of the work on geographical lines, apparently - "everything past x line is y's job", that sort of thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's worth mentioning that the PAL version of Minish Cap is bugged and won't let you get 100% kinstone fusion.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heavy Metal posted:

I think handheld Zelda games should go for a Landstalker-esque isometric kinda view to spice things up, or a Dragon Quest IV DS slight angle with camera rotation. I've seen enough of the top of Links head, more of a sidescroller fan than top down fan. And if you're doing top down, isometric is best.

(Controversial view on views)

The DS games don't use a straight overhead view like ALBW, they're tilted a bit.

I'm sure the inevitable mobile versions will follow suit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii U version's out on the same day as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's also this:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Now that the Joycons are confirmed to work like Wiimotes, I guess Skyward Sword HD is an inevitability.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

a cartoon duck posted:

Has there been any more word on the rumours that the Wii U and/or European version of the game won't come out on March 3rd? I'd hate to get excited for that release date only to learn I get to wait another month or three.

Nintendo US and UK both reconfirmed a March 3 release on Wii U. Maybe they'll patch in the additional languages later or something but as far as I know the full version will be out all over Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Remember, Triforce Heroes Link (but only your Link, not those other fakes!) is the same Link from ALBW.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

s.i.r.e. posted:

What did that require? I played the Oracle games in high school but only through emulation so I could never do the linked game stuff.

You can do 99% of that stuff through passwords if you really want to.

Some of the rings are in fixed locations, some are random drops from gacha seeds, some are specific to either game and/or the linked quest from either game, one can only be obtained by playing on a GBA. If you regularly plant and check your gacha seeds over the course of both games you'll get most of them without much hassle but it's still tedious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some hacker found evidence that they were originally planning to let you fish as Sheik, Ganondorf and Impa and I'm so sad they didn't include that feature in the final release.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Eagle posted:

In OoT or MM?

MM.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the DLC coming to WiiU or is it Switch-exclusive?

Yes, it's coming to Wii U.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Current hype aside I don't know how many people are actually going to give a poo poo to boot the game up in like 4-5 months just to play through a vague "hard" mode and a mini dungeon when there's like, what, 100 or so already in the game or whatever? It sounds kind of slim and I have serious doubts that "holy poo poo one whole mini dungeon" is going to be worth anything, let alone if most people will even still be playing it by the years end just to see a few hour long side story about Zelda or whatever it's going to be.

They said dungeon, not mini-dungeon.

The "mini-dungeons" are shrines, distinct from actual dungeons.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Amiibo nerds, Walmart has OOT Link and 8-bit Link for ~half off:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/8-Bit-Link-Zelda-Series-amiibo-Wii-U/54611189

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-from-Ocarina-of-Time-Zelda-Series-amiibo-Wii-U/54611195

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Do the smash bros zelda amiibos do anything?

The Link (Archer)
- meat and fish
- bows and arrows

Link (Rider)
- horse-related tools
- weapons
- mushrooms

Zelda
- plants that you can combine with other items
- shields

Bokoblin
- meat