Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is the jump something I can spam any time? It's important to me to be able to jump freely in video games and I feel my jumping right had been under attack for many years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hate that ugly thing but i cant not wear that, I live to climb.

Climbing bandana? Do items give/change abilities? This is the longest two weeks if my lifer until I can play this. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Question for the Wii U folks. I'm wondering about digital v disc versions and how noisy the console is with the disc. Some games make a ton of noise when the disc reads and make me go mad. Id rather give my money to the local mom and pop game store but if the disc makes a bunch of read noises I'm getting it digitally. Does the disc make a bunch of noise while playing? Thanks!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

I've only heard it really rev up once so far, in 3-4 hours of play.

Oh baby oh baby.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
These octodudes that shoot rocks at you are ruining every expedition to a water's edge. Is there a trick to kill 'em? Arrows and reflecting their rocks don't work.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This game is so incredible because I want to come here and say, "holy poo poo have you seen x y and Z?!" But then I stop myself because it'll be so much better to find this poo poo without expecting it. I love feeling clever and I love all the weird poo poo that happens across my path that I don't know how to explain.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
is there a way to switch lock on targets without breaking lock on? Also I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but can lock on be set to toggle?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's there an in game list of recipes I've learned?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This marble madness shrine in Hatano is the worst shrine. I hate this. I can't even do it with the gamepad upside down. gently caress this shrine.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

This marble madness shrine in Hatano is the worst shrine. I hate this. I can't even do it with the gamepad upside down. gently caress this shrine.

Of course I got it the first try after losing my cool.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

acumen posted:

My contribution to how great this game is is contour lines. As someone who used to read maps for a living it's wonderful seeing them used and useful in a video game. Makes it so much better plotting routes.

My wife and I make maps/are geologists. We both dig the contours hard. I've also noticed varied geology in the game too! In one zone the bedding appeared to be vertical and there were springs coming out of the mountain side. In another area there were holes in the ground surface and while floating over head I mused quietly, "sinkholes!"

To keep going for a moment on open world details, in GTA V there were monitoring well covers at gas stations for both ground water wells and soil vapor monitoring.

When I say Marble Madness I'm referencing the NES game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My favorite shrine so far was in the southeast portion of the map, I don't know what zone it is I never found the tower while I was lost and exploring. I'm going to hide it all behind spoilers because it was so loving good. I was exploring and it started to rain and eventually turned into a roaring thunderstorm. Over the sounds of the storm I heard faint accordion music playing. I explored and explored and eventually found a bird-man at the base of a tree playing his accordion. I talked to him and he hinted that a nearby landform was hiding something and that it could only be accessed during a thunderstorm. I figured I'd have to draw lightning to it so I found the landform and stood on top of it. I got hit with lightning and died but the landform exploded too. Upon reloading the landform was still intact. So I farted around on top of it, looking for something metal nearby to bring over with my magnet magic and then I started to spark again. "I wonder if I can drop a metal weapon to attract the lightning?" I dropped the spear I was holding and it kept sparking so I got the hell out of the way. Lightning hit the weapon exploded the landform and uncovered a shrine. Inside was no puzzle, a chest was containing rubber pants and the shrine bearer was like, "hey you've earned this orb just cause you found this place." And that's my favorite shrine.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there an in game recipe list?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ShaneB posted:

OK so there is no main Wii U thread, so I'll just ask here. If I want a system to play some fun easy-ish games with my wife, is $200 for a 32gb, screen controller, pro controller, Mario U, and Zelda Wind Waker worth it? I was thinking about grabbing Breath of the Wild for Wii U as well, of course.

I never finished Wind Waker way back when I had a Gamecube, so it would all be new content for me.

I bought my Wii u when Mario Kart 8 launched and my wife and I still play it often. Other games we've played and enjoyed: New Super Mario U, Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, and Pushmo. It's a great console for video game times with ones wife. Mario Kart 8 though man, you need it as much as BotW. MK8 has given us so many fun nights, especially with friends over. Four racers around the big TV is a supreme experience.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

This game still isn't quite attaching, and I've gotten all the way to Kakariko. I think I just don't get into games that ask me to explore, anymore. :(

That's a shame. :(

I've been sick of open world games for years now, but I haven't enjoyed a game like this since Dark Souls. It feels like an adventure and I'm getting something from exploring instead of just another tick mark towards collecting every kind of something.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to that nerd in the first lab. What does scanning my pictures with their sheikah thing do? Does it find items in my pictures and add them to the compendium? I've just been getting close enough so the thing's name shows up when taking pictures.

I too would like an answer to this. I was paying attention and I still don't know what that quest was about. I collected three sunshrooms and then he talked about something, I put my tablet on their water drop machine, and then the girl scientist was kinda angry that they weren't charging me a fee. Idfk what the point of any of that was.

I was like, "later nerds," and then ran outside to jump off the mountains and float away.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish there was an option to hold a button while aiming to activate gyro controls. If I'm just looking through my camera or binocs, the view is shaky even if I'm not moving the controller. But I need the gyro to aim my bow with a drat. Even a sensitivity setting for gyro might work nice. This is with the Wii U gamepad btw.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just approached the castle for the first time and I honestly think this game just became my favorite video game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Am I horribly broken? I'm a few hours in, out of the Great Plateau...and I'm not really feeling this game.

I love Zelda games. My favorites are the Oracle games, Minish Cap, and Link Between Worlds, but I think I've played them all but Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks. This doesn't feel anywhere NEAR as fun as Link Between Worlds did.

In my opinion what makes a traditional Zelda game has been diluted in this game. So of you thrive on finding items to open paths and small keys to open doors this game doesn't offer much of that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I hope Nintendo makes another Zelda like this but with dungeons and caves to explore. It would be perfect. I didn't think I'd ever feel the same sense of excitement to explore a videogame world as I did with Dark Souls but u feel it even harder with BOTW. Gimme some caves to dive into and I'll never play another game again.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There hardest part of the loving hole in one golf shrine is knowing how to position Link to get the trajectory you want. It's impossible for me to tell if the ball is going to travel straight or to the side despite appearing to position Link consistently between shots. I burned through the sledge and two of my weapons and didn't get the ball in so I suicides to redo the shrine. Turns out the progress through the shrine is undone, as I was expecting, but my items were still destroyed and the treasure chests were empty. gently caress that shrine I don't know if I'll be back to get the second shot.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The hardest thing about guardians is locking onto them. I'd say my game has a fifty fiftychance of locking onto a guardian. I have never locked onto a flying guardian. I'm getting sick of being blasted into oblivion without being able to parry these beams.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This weekend is the first chance I've haxd to play without worrying about real life responsibilities and I just played for six or seven hours and I only got up twice. Holy poo poo it's 2am I don't know the last time I stayed up late like this to play a video game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Going forward with Zelda I would welcome another fun open world to explore that is filled with dungeons and mini dungeons. I want to bomb open obscure poo poo and open a mouth of a cave. I want to find a temple deep in some woods. Ditch the random contents of chests and have something significant to find in each dungeon that makes future exploration easier.

I love how this games handles the exploration. Nothing is really off limits, instead areas become easier to explore. I didn't have cold clothing being the warm tunic from the beginning of the game so when I ventured into snowy mountains I had to wear it and drink an elixir. When the elixir buff went away I had to carry around a flame weapon and be careful not to engage enemies. It was an excellent experience.

This is a long winded way to say I really enjoy finding items that makes exploration easier, not finding items that make exploration possible. I want more of that, a world with proper dungeons to explore, and a different set of powers to use.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This talk of dungeons that make sense is great. I think I loved exploring the dark souls games so much because I was exploring a world that existed for reasons. If an area was puzzling it was probably due to some crazy dude making a puzzle palace. I hesitate to cite Minecraft as an example, but when that game came along I loved to dive into caves, lighting my way and having no idea how long I was going to be underground. So I think it'd love to see big, spooky caves and temples (or their equivalent) that make sense within the game world.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

man, I assume there are other faerie pools other than the one by Kakariko but gently caress if I know where they could even be. I really REALLY don't want to look it up as I've avoided FAQs for everything except like one bizarre map location I forgot.

I'm in the same boat. I only have one more tower to activate and I think I've been thorough in my exploration. I need to make some serious money so guess l just have to go wondering through the land scale murdering monsters, picking flowers, collecting rocks, and catching critters, all while looking for great fairies. Good thing this game made aimless wondering awesome!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I only used a few arrows on the waterblight because I used BOMB arrows. He didn't like those very much. I didn't think about using ice magic. Does ice magic work for the bit where you ride your Zora bro? I had a heck of a time knocking ice blocks out of the air until I switched to arrows. Never thought to break them with magic.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Spergatory posted:

My life changed so much when I discovered the 'drop a bomb and run' trick. I always cringe now when I see people using valuable weapon swings to deal with Night Trash like Keese and Stalfos. No. No. Stop that. You have infinite bombs and they have 1 HP. Just blow them up!

I love throwing a bomb into a swarm of keese.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does the master sword recharge?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I do not understand the timing to dodge Lynel attacks. I fought one a few minutes ago and it went perfectly and now I'm fighting the Lynel in the N Tabantha Snowfield and I've reloaded at least ten times.

I dodge and he hits me and I don't know if I should be dodging when he first swings or dodge right before it connects with me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
For major strength challenges your damage output is important. I usually go in with 40+ dmg weapons and eat a dmg buff meal. You can dodge the lasers fired at you by running perpendicular to how they're fired at you. Once they're all blasted off, hit the thing with stasis and unload. That final phase is all about burst damage. Now that I think you can probably also parry the lasers.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've spent the past two hours on a mission into Hyrule Castle just because. I'm at 64 hours in this game and still need to clear two beasts and I've heard stuff about labyrinths and I have half the shrines left to find too. This game is incredible. Exploring this castle has been a blast and I've only found one of the three items I came to find. I accidently walked into the final boss room earlier and got frustrated with one if the first phases.

I never thought a game would take the throne Dark Souls has been sitting on for nearly six years.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been on three trips into Hyrule Castle and I still have one more beast to deal with. I think the castle is great and the only thing I'd change is making it bigger and badder.

First trip in I was way under powered and it was scary and tense and I avoided combat when possible. Second trip in I was a bit more confident but still cautious. Third trip in I was prepared and confident and explored a bunch. Still haven't found everything there is to be found and I'm excited fort my next expedition in.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm been hunting a shrine in the north west corner of the map. I find the Hia Miu Shrine (a major test of strength) but this other one is eluding me. I'm in the extended edge of the map hunting it catching updrafts to no end. It's like the shrine is inside the mountain. Can anyone give me a hint?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's not on the edge, per se, look on the southside of the mountain range.

Find it. Another set of double doors. I know how to open this!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

My game is paused right at those very doors :( I broke all of my snowballs trying to get them to go over the cyro pillars rather than catching on the edges and falling down

Once I figured it the cryo pillars the first snow ball I rolled hit the doors. This was easier than the other snow ball door I had to open.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should I sell my excess rubies, etc to any vendor or is there a specific vendor that pays more? I thought I saw discussion weeks ago about that but there only vendor I've found who pays higher prices is a Gerudo woman in Goron City but she seems to only want a big stack of diamonds.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should I sell luminous stones or do they turn into something more valuable?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can anyone give me a hint how to at least take a step into Thyphlo Ruina without falling into muck? Oh there is a bridge over to it that I just found...

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

i think the real mystery to this game is what the neighboring kingdoms are and why hyrule has a giant moat!

That moat keeps out the illegals.