Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

How many of you had your minds blown when gasp Koholint Island was revealed as a dream that will vanish once you woke the Wind Fish

As the first Zelda game I ever beat, I was equating Little Nemo logic to it.

"Well duh, I'll be AWAKE. You can't be awake in dream land :rolleyes: It will still be here for sleeping :pseudo:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

somnambulist posted:

I get that the game is challenging and forces you to explore but i'm not able to do anything and I'd love some general pointers.

I have 5 hearts and an upgraded Hylian set from the great fairie (hood, tunic, trousers)

I have about 1200 rupees, should I get something else?

I'm dying a LOT, and while i know it's supposed to be hard, there's no way it should be THIS often. Maybe I'm bad at combat? Trying to figure this out. Any tips from someone that may have sucked before they had some kind of epiphany? :p

Emphasizing the "Remember to eat" stuff already said. When stuff is not outright flattening you in one hit, a big thing to remember in this game compared to every other Zelda game is that enemies never drop hearts anymore. So you have to stop and eat to make up for any hits taken.

Even the default three hearts goes a lot longer, when every other enemy or piece of scenery will drop hearts to refill them. When you have to stop and snack for even a fraction of a heart, 6 hearts can feel like nothing.

I value stamina mushrooms more than my own life from how much I love climbing things that are not quite practical to climb for me currently. "Well time to see this plot NPC-Wait, hold up" *crawls under house to collect mushrooms*

Pretty please tell me there is an item that exist that makes it so you can climb in the rain with no issue.

Calaveron posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like a lot of shrines can be solved by cheating? I mean the obvious one is the marble maze shrine, but some others make you feel like you're pulling one over the game mechanics and it feels good
That depends, does shooting a fire arrow at an explosive barrel in the water only for it to not explode. and deciding "gently caress it, time to throw bombs from an ice pillar" count as cheating? I think that was the only explicit "Not using the set props" for me so far. But I'm only 5 heart containers +2 spheres in shrine wise :downs: (More marked, but ooh distraction! oh wait I'm on the opposite side of a mountain now)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On that note about rafting, while I found That Island and decided I'd go back later when I learned you have to do it all in one go :shepface:, pro tip for leaf powered sailing i wish I realized sooner.

Spam normal swings once you are in the water. Since charged swings seemed to be more useful for getting it off land, I just did charge swings the whole way to that shrine along the way :downsgun:

EDIT: Horse tamingtip for if you don't have enough stamina bar to manage. Just pause and shove stamina food into your face.

I love my regular wild horse's top speed of 4, even though he just has 3 stamina and 1 strength. But as often as I find him being somewhat disagreeable at 100 bond, I don't think I could give up a 4 speed for a tame horse's ease of use.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Akkala Citadel Tower

"Okay, it's been raining for four segments straight no matter where in Hyrule I go. I've been doing other stuff to pass the time, I got 7 hearts, the rain is ending in three... two... one... GOGOGOGO!"

"There, I made it up here past the helicopter robots! I... What's that all over the tower-A loving Lightning storm out of nowhere? Really? Well, at least I'm not wearing anything made of metal-" Lightning strike to the skull through pure random chance nearly sends me back off the mountain.

Hyrule hates me :saddowns: Show me a sign it doesn't.

Overhang protected cooking fire. Chest with 5 bomb arrows.

:swoon:

But seriously though. I wish the weather forecast bar would not decide to wildly change it's mind as I travel. No wizrobes involved

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

So a bunch of shields mention weight and make it sound like there's some downside to heavier shields, but they all seem exactly the same? Is there any difference between shields other than their durability anyways? A shield always seems to block 100% of the damage, they just break faster the lower their guard rating.

I get the feeling some of the item descriptions while valid (Such as some bow going into first person extreme zoom) don't line up with the end product.

For example, those guardian shields say they can deflect the lasers no problem. But a small guardian shield pops immediately just like if I had used a slightly weaker normal shield to straight block it. While deflects can be done with a pot lid if you get the timing down.

Generally though, if an item says it has low durability, you can count on that being pretty accurate.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 10, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gruckles posted:

The guardian shields deflect the small burst fire lasers used by Guardian Scouts, but not the giant ones that they use as a desperation attack and are spammed by the other types of guardians.

Oh :downs: I know there are bigger ones, but I figured they'd deflect the big beams to make up for the fact they seem to be poo poo shields for normal usage. What with the general tendency for guardian items to have lower durability, and how the average lizardman comes with superior defense and offense technology.

Sheikah, take notes. More points = better.

Unrelated. Realizing you are starting to really stack up on the lizard parts, but have all of two moblin guts and wondering where the gently caress you consistently find Moblins instead of recolored short guys.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Taking photos of wildlife in general would be so much easier if activating your camera didn't disable sneaking.

That and it being a bitch about if it counts as a clear shot or not. Okay I can take a photo of a keese bat a mile away, but being right on top of a dragonfly or bird doesn't count because gently caress you I guess.

Just telling people to save up for sneaky pants doesn't really change the fact switching to your camera disables sneaking. But at least using the plain old scope doesn't.

Your Computer posted:

I mean, I'm sure there are people complaining about this stuff ("but you have never been able to open chests other than from the front, this ruins my immersion :qq:") but I think these little things say a lot about the design of BotW. They were very focused on making things possible instead of focusing on convention :3:
I love it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

You don't make noise if you're still, so sneak close then take the picture and don't move

Thank you for this helpful dose of "Obvious in hindsight" :downs:

Obligatory Toast posted:

That said, this doesn't apply across the board to all ingredients, because 5x silent princesses is crap.

Give this game, I have no idea if it's deliberate or not that Zelda's favorite flower is bad at applying it's power.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Don't forget that you can zoom in on the camera with the D-pad. That makes it actually possible to shoot fireflies.

Oh, I make tons of use out of the zoom feature. But it seems super picky about what counts as a "Clean shot" for smaller wildlife vs enemies. On that note, I'm glad it is so forgiving about taking pictures of enemies.

"Oh, I haven't seen one of those before." *takes picture, adds compendium entry of half an ear peeking out over a hillside for Black Moblin* "Well, glad that still counts."

"Okay, time to take a picture of this dragonfly." *EXTREME CLOSE UP while standing 15 feet away!... Nope doesn't count. Why? Who knows maybe that single blade of grass just hates you*

So I'm optimistic about the tip to sneak up right on top of them first, THEN take photo. Rather than stop just outside of small wildlife aggro range, pull out my camera, zoom in, have it seizure between ??? and a name, and then flee as I start stepping closer.

...Not that sneaking up will help when I want to take pictures of birds in flight when I'm on the top of some mountain in the middle of nowhere. But it's not letting me, even though I can take named pictures of as yet before unseen yellow chu's a mile on the ground past it. But hey, progress.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 11, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Like Likes seem harmless at first.

Then you realize. They erased the dyes on your clothing inventory.

Not all of it. Just some of it. Just to make sure it doesn't match.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Just something about birds.

The advice of "Sneak up, THEN Photos!" has gotten me a lot more pictures of squirrels and free floating bugs and such.

But birds? Particularly smaller ones that the camera hates counting as me looking at them even when zoomed in at max? welp.

I can sneak up on those glowing blue critters, to smack them around with my sword for free money, wearing whatever I want. But taking photos of some tiny bluebirds continues to elude me for now :saddowns:

So while I do intend to eventually get the Shiekah clothes (Oooh, a Jewlery shop! take all my valuables!), the concept of "Just use the Stealth clothes" so I can photograph birds, feels even more silly given I can sneak up on legendary whimsical creatures that poo poo money wearing basically anything.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Man, my luck with drops seems more terrible than usual. Why can't I get any Lizalfols tails no matter how many of these guys I kill?..."

*Checks photo based compendium* "Oh, regular plain green ones don't drop tails because reasons :shepface:"

Then Link went to the desert and came out ahead 10+ tails, and a bunch of shiny new knight claymores and maximum spikes lizard gear. Yay for happy endings.

DalaranJ posted:

Where do I get ancient cores? I got two from shrines, but then I triple parried a stalker and got giant ancient cores. Talk about a letdown.
Murphy's law based RNG, really. Murdering proper guardians has a chance, but it's still just a chance. So I think I killed... six? seven? A good amount of proper guardians before seeing a single core (my other two were also from shrine chests). As a heads up, the stationary ones that don't have working legs can not drop cores of any kind.

Catch 22. You want Ancient parts so you can fight guardians better. But you need to be good at fighting guardians to get ancient parts.

Oh right, speaking of Guardian stuff. Does anybody know offhand what the difference is (if any) between the Gerudo Diamond Jewlery's bonus vs Guardians, and the Ancient Set's bonus vs guardians? (Is it set bonus based? one piece at a time stacking? both)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I've been basically behaving myself and only ever using the Master Sword™ when it's lone Guardians, where it lights up and let's me know it's A-Okay to fight Evil. Because that way it won't break from abusing it's power :downs:

Turns out, it will still break even if you do nothing but fight evil robots that make it glow and rate 60 damage instead of 30. At the very least, my wild paranoia meant it was still circumstances incredibly one sided in my favor. Along with keeping a 60 damage guardian weapon in my inventory, just in case.

"Hey, that hole wasn't there before"
"Wow, that sure is a lot of guardians. Let's just put on that Champions Tunic for a second-Oh hello health bars."

If the Sword that Seals Evil can't keep up the pace, is it any wonder my first instinct is to fight dirty before my enemy does?

Dizz posted:

How the gently caress did Beetle pass on it's lineage but Tingle didn't?

A steady job, manners (Thank yooooou!), knows how to stay out of prison.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh right, before I forget.

What's the timing for parrying when guardians are firing practically point blank? You know, when they rush you, and will just keep following you at perfect close distance of within 10 feet even if you backwards walk.

The whole "Parry when the eye flashes" trick works wonders most of the time. But inevitably sooner or later I end up fighting a guardian that lives long enough to start crowding me, and once they reach a certain distance my parries are just no longer actually working right.

Throw in my luck with Z targeting deciding to just make me do anything but actually lock onto them when they are up close, and there is a reason I've only gone robot hunting when I had guardian weapons on me, or after I got the master sword. So I have something to fall back on when they cross that distance threshold of "Well, I'll just parry him to death no problem then" into "Oh my god, why can't I parry these anymore?" and it's so in your face that trying to stave them off with an arrow is awkward to do at the last second.

EDIT: It's also why I don't chop off all their legs at once, and take them off a bit at a time so I can get more windows of them flopping around uselessly in reaction to a lost leg. Once all the legs are gone, but they are still alive? That just means it's full time turret mode when you were already in melee range. But carve em up one leg at a time, and you can kill them much safer so long as your weapons don't suddenly kaput on you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 15, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I never even tried that because of the puzzles where attempting to use magnet while I'm standing on something just breaks the magnet link. Let's hear it for loopholes!

Cojawfee posted:

What do I do with the one the story one then?

Internet Kraken posted:

Dye it a different color for fashion.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

While true, the necessity of cold/warm armor sets instead of "real" armor definitely made me less inclined to investigate those areas until I really had to.

Well, they have the same decent defense as most armors that are not the Soldier or Ancient set. Excluding the Champion's tunic for torso, or Diamonds for the head.

Throw in the constant temptations of the climbing gear, and that's basically your standard for defense all game. Excluding putting on your slightly tougher stuff when it's time to straight up fight a thing, but even that's got it's quirks if the fight is happening during environmental conditions (and you want to save your snack buff for combat buffs). "gently caress yeah! Full climbing set-oh I'm passing a temperature threshold... gently caress yeah, 2/3 climbing set-oh, it's another temperature threshold.... 1/3 climbing set..."

I can understand wanting way more defense then you got though, when wearing a full racial set at tier 3 is "only" 12 defense per part. So while it's now enough defense to not take too much damage from certain things, Black enemies with proper weapons will still carve a good chunk of hearts from you, and a white mane Lynel will still take 10-12 hearts off you in a single hit and you ragdoll past some guy wistfully sighing that the game pauses when they have to cycle through five menu tabs to reach their food.

I do wish you could merge the Snow/Sand boots effects into the Rito and Voe sets though. Like, come on.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I would gladly take armor pieces with 1 defense if it meant climbing gear that had permacombo +2 fire resist, +2 cold resist, and snowshoes.
Xtreme Sports armor DLC when?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I have a growing problem.

I know a lone Hearty Durian is a full heal plus extra hearts. But I keep waiting until I can make a nice pie or something, when it comes to nicer ingredients I know of, I keep wanting to make proper snacks with them. A Hearty Fruit Pie is only one more extra heart than a lone Durian, and needs three store bought ingredients... But it's just so delicious.

I'll just slam drumsticks together like a slob for quick meals, but my strong ingredients I don't take nearly as much advantage of :negative:

"Hmm, yes. I could stack these mighty bananas together no problem. I need at least four of them for the max sized buff... But I can only fit three bananas when making fried bananas!" And then I stuff a bunch of dry mighty thistles in my face like a crazed hermit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

snoremac posted:

Do the major tests of strength gradually change depending on how many you've done or are they all locked to specific shrines? Because the last 3 or 4 or I did had water on the ground when I can't recall this once beforehand.

Water btw is much easier than no water with the free cryonis pillars to break that spin attack.

It's shrine specific. I found my first Major test of weapon durability before ever seeing any Minor ones :v:

Let me tell yah, running across several Minor tests later is real refreshing after breaking nearly every single one of your early game weapon and shields in your inventory on a robot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Okay Link, I've hosed up again because I guess there's one guy in a blind spot I never check, and now I've got two huge assholes after me. I can beat one of them fair and square, but two of them is probably going to end me. What to do..."

On realization of 70+ bomb arrows I refuse to use and a dust collecting Tri-bow pulled out later...

"Ah yes. the Ryu Hayabusa school of ninjitsu."

Pretty bullshit that they didn't drop their cool looking swords though. Fortunately that run, I was experimenting with if arrow headshots can be used for stealth kills (They can't :v:), and the one in the first room dropped it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tumble posted:

I realized how much fun I've been having just playing the game in my own way because I had a friend over, and after I went to the bathroom I came back to see him just slaughtering the foxes and the rams willy-nilly and I got a little bit sad, because they are just lil critters who don't hurt nothing :(

I leave Foxes and Rams alone, but I admit it's as much because I'm too busy taking out my innocent wildlife aggression on birds and squirrels.

Not only do Foxes and Rams not bother me, but they only drop the least delicious meat anyways :v: Meanwhile, bombing a pack of squirrels gets me more nuts than chopping down over fifty trees in preparation for tarry town did.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone else not like two handed weapons? They are nice if the one hit you can get in will kill whatever you're fighting. If it takes more than 1-2 hits, you're going to get hit back. They are just too slow to do anything. Unless I cheese stasis or ice or something, I can't hit a lizalfos with a two handed weapon. By the time Link starts swinging, the lizalfos has already jumped away. A moblin is going to hit me by the time I can get a second swing in. Even with stasis, the weapons swing so slowly I can only get a couple hits in because whatever monster it is gets punted across the field/room. I much prefer the spears and one handed swords.
I have a love/Hate relationship with two handed weapons. Anything with a tendency to constantly do sick dodges (or will interrupt your rear end due to never staggering) you might as well throw it in the garbage without relying on stuff that lets you get free hits in. But if not, they loving rule.

Most notabbly, if it's an enemy that will let you go nuts on them with the spin to win. Sneaking up on a sleeping Hinox and snacking on your favorite offense buff will let you kill Blue Hionx with a reasonable weapon like a knight claymore so fast, the music only starts to kick in while they are exploding. Or leave a Black Hinox just shy of death anyway. Im sure ones with double metal leg armor could put a cramp in this plan, but still.

But a lot of the time, their just plain slow attack speed leaves me wishing for a one hander. They are great if you have some gimmicks that let you get their full potential out, like enemies who won't dodge away from you knocking their shields aside. Or will get sent sprawling on the second hit without dodging at the last second (loving lizard people :argh:). But if it's something that will tank the hits well, and won't let you safely spin to win spam them? Might as well switch to a one hander even if it's a bit weaker, just for swing speed. (When it comes to normal, non flurry/non QTE attack spam).

Your Computer posted:

The best weapons in this game are spears though, they're criminally underrated :colbert: Everyone just looks at the damage stat and goes "my sword does more damage :geno:" but what they don't take into account is the crazy reach you get and the attack speed (which is the fastest of all weapons). With a good spear you're untouchable, it's like playing easy mode.

The reason I hardly ever have a spear on me, is because any time I get my hands on the average spear it's used nonstop until there is no more spear :v: I am convinced the reason "Enhanced" Lizalfos spears have such low damage and durability compared to their other high end gear, is they know what will happen if I got my hands on one. I'm already taking every chance I get to kill lizard people by throwing their own boomerang blades at them as it is.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are there any indestructible items or weapons? I imagine the Master Sword is, but anything else?
On this subject, how come I hear people constantly talking about the Zora and Rito repairable gear, but I never hear any mention of the versions from the Gerudo. The materials are even slightly more convenient.

I can understand why I don't hear it brought up when it comes to shields. Because it's hard being second best. But I like the other thing I just got, and my windfall of three royal broadswords in rapid succession a while back has depleted itself.

Wishlisting, it would be nice if we could cash in diamonds or something to turn normal weapons into the "Durable" prefix. I miss my hard working Durable Soldier's bow sticking around as I blew through golden sniper bows and more fancy pants quick shot knights bows, etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 18, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

Did anyone actually bother to upgrade their shield or bow capacity before maxing out weapons? I never did and I never felt like I didn't have enough shields or bows.

Edit: Come to think of it I used shields so seldomly I only ever broke one once when trying out parrying guardian beams.

I'm hardly at max weapons, but I did kind of stagger my supply so I wasn't so cramped. Four shields is basically nothing, so I made sure I had 5 shields after my first couple weapon upgrades. Then I splurged on six Shields/Bows once I had filled in my weapon slots a few times at Hestu's second location. Once I got a nice rounded out 15 weapon slots, and more would cost like 25 seeds or something, I took a break to bump up my bows and shields again to eight and eight. Which seems like a nice comfortable number to last me ages as I begin to wonder how I'm ever going to find enough seeds for my 17th weapon slot without a wiki.

The desire for more shields goes up when you are not mister perfect "Oh, I NEVER botch a parry :smug:" and start taking the fight to Guardians more often, but also want a couple wood shields on hand for thunderstorms. I suppose not having the Hylean shield yet also skews my opinions :v: So yes, my shield supply often goes from "I've got four pristine knight shields! Everything will be fine!" to blowing through half my shields in quick succession and being glad I had the spares.

Once specialty bows started ending up more common, I wanted more space to keep my fancy sniper zoom bows handy alongside the normal bows, and tipple shot bow for special "Oh gently caress :stonk:" occasions.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

Oh dear, I've been living and breathing this game since it came out and it has absolutely destroyed my ability to play other games :v:

I booted up Dark Souls 3 to see if I had any saves that would be good for the DLC that's coming out for it, and I couldn't remember how to play at all even though I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into DS. My mind is just in BotW mode.

Cons: Can't climb anything but ladders.
Pros: Easier for me to dodge consistently in Darksouls than Zelda, apparently :shepface:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Augus posted:

I like how the Yiga seemed kinda intimidating at first but then you realize that they're just a bunch of banana-loving dorks

Surprisingly polite most of the time they have any dialogue. I'm sure I'll start to get mad at them once the random spawn they start cropping up more often while I'm looking for stuff, but so far it's only been "Oh my god, this walk from Gerudo town to the bazar has a Yiga archer for every lizal on the road". Maybe they just don't like zora land and Rito puzzles?

Also the intimidation factor is much higher when a 15 damage sickle is still a big deal, such as it was when I saw my first disguised one. Admittedly, when black bokoblins and lizard men can end up hitting you for more damage than a boss does, it leaves you with a skewed sense of threat assessment.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So turns out the worst part about equipment theft island, is triple thunderstorm in a row weather right as you finally swipe some metal weapons off a horde of enemies.

Fine. I've been behaving myself, been beating Major tests of strength and divine beast bosses without spamming it. But gently caress it time to finally give Stasis+ a workout if that's how you're going to be :mad:

Now... how to move this rock... I started moving it with cliff assisted plunging attacks after stasis with bombs and statis with weapon swings didn't budge it. But, you know, kind of hard to climb poo poo it a thunderstorm no matter how many times people say climb jump climb jump works. EDIT: Oh front flip swings from a standing position work better than jumping off a cliff did, video game physics is confusing.

Oh there's even a cooking pot here I can't use anymore to rub salt in the wounds :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 19, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
What a terrible night to have a curse :shepface:

If I make it through this, I don't think the shrine reward will feel quite up to par.

alf_pogs posted:

really hope they add in more storage. deciding on only 3 weapons to mount feels like an impossible choice
Vanity seems as good a basis as any. It's why one of those big Yiga swords is on my wall. But yes I'd love to put even more things on display.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've found myself relying on fire arrows/flame lit arrows to set fires almost exclusively after how often alternate means don't do anything except cause a patch of fire effect and then not actually burn an object.

Hmm, maybe I'm supposed to burn these. There are like five goddamned spare torches in the room. Three lit torches thrown at banners later. it's not burning. I guess it doesn't burn then... Oh look, fire arrows burn it and it was hiding the required path...

An obvious Korok hiding spot surrounded by thorns? Well I've got this handy flame spear! Stab stab stab, there, a nice patch of fire inside the thorns and surrounding grass... That just goes out accomplishing nothing. Maybe these thorns don't burn?... Oh look, fire arrows burnt them.

And so on. At least throwing my torch to light another torch worked in the blue flame related puzzle though. But usually anything but direct torch swings or burning arrows just decides it doesn't actually want to burn stuff for me (I'm sure if I wasn't using up all my fire/meteor rods in combat for giggles ASAP, those would work).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 20, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure it's been asked a dozen times but is Eventide a massive heap of bullshit unfair assholery? Died twice far into it so far and am GETTING PRETTY PISSED OVER HERE

If you are not already later in the game, save it for later in the game when you have more hearts to play with and more super powers that don't get taken away from you.

Then pray there isn't several thunderstorms extinguishing all the cooking pots in a row followed by a blood moon while walking past where the Hinox used to be while carrying a sphere :v:

All that said, if you want a Tips and Tricks method for a leg up I've read that Items you hurl onto the island via magnets or hand before getting close enough to trigger your equipment theft, will remain there for you to pick right back up. But it will also erase those items once you beat the place and it returns your stuff

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

I'm still way early all things considered, just can't figure out the Hinox or how to remove the metal plate on the platform on the hill. Any tips?
The platform's physics seem super wonky. Bombing it normally or bombing it during stasis did jack poo poo for me. Plunging attacks off the nearby hill hardly moved it with or without stasis (then I had thunderstorms start up).

But a single standing jump attack with a two handed club during stasis? Oh yeah, that sent it flying a mile away no problem :v:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I swear to god cryonis is that one ability I never use, and then get stumped when a puzzle comes up involving it. I just stand there like an idiot wondering why I can't solve something simple.
The one thing I keep forgetting Cryo does, is lifting up gates that have water under them :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just upgraded all my climbing gear armor to level 2. I'm not going to farm the resources to upgrade all the armor, and felt due to all the climbing I might as well upgrade that set.

Three upgrades seems pretty obtainable for the most part, compared to four. Along with giving a reasonable amount of defense even on the more "Normal" stuff (Climbing set is one of the more collectothon heavy sets in the game, too) .

It's rank 4 upgrades that start to twist the knife. "Okay, you spent the 10,000 rupies to turn on the last Great Fairy. And you already had 9 Giant cores sitting around collecting dust. Now,... Go get us 9 fallen stars on top if you want to upgrade that Ancient Armor."

Ninja suit is asking for a snail you've never even heard of, or just happened to only find one of by accident all game. The humble Hylian set is asking for 45 bokobolin guts, and 90 amber (Which you probably sold most of :v:) etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Augus posted:

sounds like you never found a certain NPC. get back to exploring!

Those guys are going to be so jealous of me now. "What? Buy a knight shield? That's okay, I've got a Pit Bull Hylian shield"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Echophonic posted:

Man, baked apple lady in the Rito Village isn't loving around. She just gave me 250 rupees for 30 baked apples. I mean, that was maybe a minute of work in the Goron Village and something I had a hundred of.
Huh, that's $50 shy of potential straight apples value, but I'd say it's worth it in convenience when dealing in mass apple sales.

If you properly cook a pile of apples, 5 apples = 50. (1 = 10, but middle numbers skew less). But, that involves cooking lots of batches of apples, and selling them all individually.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

The only frustration I get from cooking is due to how hungry it makes me. I wish cooking was that easy in real life :(

The biggest letdown in cooking is that actually bothering with fancy ingredients often get you worse results, or occasionally same to one heart difference.

"There, I made an apple pie!... Which heals roughly one or two hearts more than just chucking apples in a pile."
"Okay, I'll use some salt and rice to make a rice bowl/rice ball version!... Oh that's also less than just a stack of the main ingredients."
"Banana cake/fried bananas!...Oh right, you can't fit four bananas that way, hello weaker buff stacks."

I mostly just make some proper food every so often on the principle of the matter, so Link's diet isn't just sad sack single Hearty Druains, or five unseasoned drumsticks, etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 21, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So after finding all the memories legit except #12 ("Nothing but trees with no definable landmarks! And the painter will only talk about how you already found a different one!"), in hindsight I would like to say #5 is a jerk.

I would have probably found it much faster had I realized time based differences, but Shrines existing in other photos kind of made that notion fly over my head (Particularly when rickety wooden platforms are apparently a fixture 100+ years old :v:)

That said, when it came to the pair of "normal sized trees in grass with a scenic landmark in the distance" photos, it felt more like a lot of running around praying the memory glowy would show up. "Hey I'm back at a spot I've run past a dozen times before just during travel... zig zag zig zag zig zag aaand there it is."

Most of them were pretty nice though, even if I discovered half or more of the memories by pure "I was traveling through this spot anyways and oh look, memory", those ones were of the sort distinct enough to have found legit no problem.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Beedle is a fuckin liar

I had a similar reaction when I finally went back to replace my Gerudo weapon and their claims of needing nothing but a diamond, have changed to wanting a base weapon and flint on top like everything else.

I mean yeah, one respawns right by the entrance making it still probably the most convenient one to replace. But come on. Also stop giving me poo poo about the other thing not being broken every time I swing by. It looks good on my wall

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

parallelodad posted:

The one you need for the Rito bow spawns literally right next to the guy who builds it on his table. If you take it he yells at you and then says "whatever, just take it, I suck at shooting bows"

Oh, that's nice to hear. Last time I peeked in there the bow had a different name than the one they said I'd need. Maybe the spawn hadn't adjusted yet for me, or maybe they will just take whatever rito bow then?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

grilldos posted:

Where are the toilets?????

Duke Nukem holds the patent on functional toilets in video games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Picture obsession aids.

Just do whatever is most convenient to get it counted for your compendium first. Whether it's buying it at the lab, or taking advantage of the fact it's very generous about what rates as an enemy picture over tiny wildlife.

Now your combat selfies have much less riding on them, and if you get it the way you like it can replace "Corner of an ice wizrobe's hat peeking out from behind a rock"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

To be honest it's not nearly as bad with the "climb 5, jump, then slip" method of dealing with it, but the fact that you have to resort to that sort of trickery instead of implementing it as "you climb slower/jump less far" or "climbing/jumping uses more stamina in the rain" was a horrible decision, agreed

There is also the fact the climb jump slip method doesn't get you any relevant distance unless you already have a swole as hell stamina bar, and even then it's quite the drastically reduced distance.

Everybody saying "Just take a few steps and jump!" are clearly saying it from a point of controlled comfort. Rather than paragliding across a canyon, and landing smack in the middle of a steep mountainside as your weather grid flips from all sunny to "So we've decided it's now two rains in a row" and 10 stamina wheels wouldn't make the distance with steps jump slip repeat.

Now that my stamina is getting up there, I can brute force my way up some things I couldn't before without even needing snacks. But for the most part, rain will still just trash my climbing plans when it matters most. Even if the map opening up means more time spent in areas where it never rains in the first place for a pleasant change of pace.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 22, 2017