Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought Okami on PS3 because I heard (on these forums) that it was like a super-Japanese Zelda and I just couldn't get past the first sequence, total playtime seemed 45 minutes. The text speed seemed painful and the art style just immediately seemed soooooo dated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So the people in Link's awakening are alive and appear to be self aware. My question is, knowing this and knowing that they'll disappear if the Wind Fish wakes up, is it moral to wake up the Wind Fish?

But they aren't real people with real pasts. The wind fish is a being powerful enough that's its subconscious mind generates the life-like projections of the kinds of people who would worship it. Through this dreamstate, it was able to communicate with Link and help guide him through the trials necessary to wake itself from its slumber. These people feel and look real because otherwise Link would just be cast into a mysterious and vast expanse of wilderness flooded with monsters and dungeons and Link wouldn't have any sense of progression. I'm very interested to see how they handle that feeling in BotW.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well it's just that to my knowledge Nintendo is prrrrrrrretty good about release full, finished games with complete narratives, in tYooL 2017 more often than not Day 1 DLC is indicative of incomplete stories being finished in Paid DLC, which kinda killed Deus Ex, maybe forever, and it begs the question "what is the point of a post-game Zelda dungeon?" besides fun?

Now I'm dreaming it'll be the mythical "hard dungeon" where the game expects you to have every item and every puzzle involves combining all your gear in weird ways...

Also release dog hats for wolf link to wear and consume infinite money forever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
An important consideration is that this game has probably the consummate might of Nintendo behind it. I think you can expect a level of quality here that you might not get from, say, Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pegasus Boot the Rupies

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kirios posted:

Overwatch's loot boxes are a far, far grosser practice than DLC.

im not trying to derail, but what is wrong with loot boxes?

The base game is $40, it comes with every character and map for free and blizzard has promised to never paywall non-cosmetic game content.

You get loot boxes by leveling up, playing different game modes and winning OR just buying them outright with cash.

The contents are random, but almost always provide a small amount of game currency, which DOES let you buy the exact skin/tag/voice line/emote you want.

It is LITERALLY the least predatory, least intrusive microtransaction i have ever seen in a game. Like compare it to League of Legends, who have dope rare skins that cost $10-$20... A single skin for a single character... for $10-$20 and there is literally ZERO in-game method of acquiring it.(Gentleman Cho'Gath, i'l never regret buying you).

$20 for two DLC packs is... compared to what we've been getting across the industry right now... kinda super cheap?

Also a reminder that if the content weren't in the base game, and they had already delayed it a year, then the content you buy as DLC just wouldn't have ever existed in the first place, it would have just stayed cut and they would have never cleaned it up and released it for free later. Some companies, like SQUEnix, have lopped of parts of a full game into DLC, but that really doesn't seem like Nintendo's style.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Reading all this N64//OoT chat just reminded me that i was the only kid I knew in school who 100% OoT and i did it without ever owning an N64.

The mom & pop video rental store in my hometown had a Demo N64 where kids could play while their parents picked out movies. my mom owned the tailors in the same shopping plaza, and the team of college age stoners and goth chicks who worked at the video store thought I was a plucky little 8 year old scamp, and after wearing them down I was a semi-permanent fixture of this video store, pretty much every day after school, and eventually after a year they gave me a key to the demo-box (They all knew I wasn't gonna steal anything and my mom was on 1st name basis with the managers).

So when OoT dropped, I played it, standing up in the middle of a video store, in 2-4 hour chunks. This was basically pre-internet, but I found every heart piece & skull-CHOO-la and the Biggoron Sword and omg what a loving amazing game. It took me like a month and change (I also had to let anyone who asked have a turn, no matter what, as part of the agreement, so it meant passing the controller off like mid-boss fight sometimes and watching some little girl get loving smashed by the Fire Temple Dragon while I whispered "hit him with the hammer" over and over...)

In my early 20's a I bought an N64 for like $30 from a yard sale and beat it 100% again in like 10 hours... but playing it sitting down on my couch with an iPad for collectibles just basically felt like a vacation.

I basically did the same thing with Majora's Mask, but that was at my lovely rich friend's house. i'd go over for big sleepovers and his parents would buy us whatever we wanted, so i'd get my friend all sugared up and then he'd pass out real early and i'd stay up all night playing his nintendo, trading his duped D2 items over to my dudes, and stealing his pokemon cards (he had like 10 foil charizards, he wasn't gonna miss 1 or 2!).

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 20, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Doggir posted:

Plot twist you're the lovely friend..

Reinanigans posted:

What the gently caress

dublish posted:

If that's a lovely friend, what did your good friends let you do to them?

LOL Y'know I hadn't thought about that for like 15 years, and you're right, that sucks.

Back to BotW, does anyone else get kinda Samurai Jack vibes from the Art Style and the seemingly omni-present fog filter seen in almost every screen?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but how could you review video games professionally, play through the forced stealth in Skyward Sword, spend any time flying around the BIG BROWN SKY (this will bother me forever, why are the clouds so brooooown), and still say "Yeah this game is perfect, everything is great!"

Like if you'd said 8/10 I'd be optimistic, but SS getting a 'perfect' score screams "corporate shill" to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, looks like sadly my worries are valid, and this game has no big epic dungeons that get more difficult as you progress and feel like you're invading some evil place. All the puzzles are randomly strewn on the overworld instead, meaning you lose the sense of progression you get if you put in even a smidge of linearity into a game.

The big epic dungeons are what make a zelda game and without them, what's left is a stunningly beautiful, zelda-themed, sandbox overworld. And sandbox games bore me.

We've had multiple confirmations about dungeons and the impact they have on approaching the final castle...?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So how is the sword//weapon play in this game. is there a Zelda game that it's more similar too? I always felt like the swordplay in WW was the best, and I just want to gauge how LONK handles himself this time around.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve beaten all 4 dungeons and never played with the balloons because I never found a moment in the game where it seemed like that’s what I was supposed to do.

Also I have 2 complete stamina wheels and the first row of hearts done and I honestly have no idea how there could be so many more shrines in the game... my map already seems pretty full.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely love farming to upgrade my loot. I’m stuck trying to unlock the last fairy though. Is there a good source of endgame income besides farming food and potions?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What the fudge are you talking about?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

mastajake posted:

I wanna play the LA remake for sure, but it's ridiculous that it costs as much as a full new game, given that it is a remake of a Game Boy game that was probably $30 at launch 25 years ago.

yeah im typically ok shelling out for remakes of classics, but the game shouldn't cost twice as much 20 years later, I don't care how colorful it is.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It was 30$ in 93, or 53$ in today's money.
The Gameboy would cost 160$ today

This isn't as helpful because people typically make WAY WAY less than they did 20 years ago, it's not just as simple as "Math checks out, you're basically paying the same thing!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Can you not jump over them with the feather?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jim Sterling says that Link’s Awakening is the best looking game on the Switch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some people who play lots of modern PC games seem super susceptible to it but I’ve been a hardcore PC gamer whose built alltheir own rigs and I seriously couldn’t give a poo poo about some stuttering and slow down.

As long as it’s more Bloodborne levels and less Bloodstained levels.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Item Getter posted:

My "favorite" bug in the game is that since the game is running in a real 3D engine, and the walls are built at a diagonal angle to get the Zelda style forced perspective, sometimes when you break a pot against a wall the heart will drop sitting halfway up the wall and there is no way to grab it.
Things like that are more annoying than the much maligned framerate issues that I have never noticed outside the swamp area. But it's not really a big deal, it's still a very good game.

IIRC this happened in the gameboy game and you could Dash into the wall to knock it loose.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Majora’s Mask is one of the greatest games ever made and I’ve beaten it with 100% completion but I wouldve stopped playing after the first temple if kids in my Middle School hadn’t shown me “the song of slow time”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still don't much like the weapon endurance. I have a Frostspear in my inventory right now that's at least somewhat rare, I got it as a reward from a shrine. But I haven't used it because I don't want it to break and then I probably can't get another one for like, probably ages and it'd probably be difficult to get to as well. I know the Master Sword loses power but it recharges over time, I kind of wish other weapons were like that too, like at least the ones you get as shrine rewards.

Hyrule Castle is absolutely swamped with awesome rare weapons. Any time you feel like you could use some sweet new gear, go clear out a couple rooms in Hyrule Castle and you’ll have tons of spears and swords and all kinds of high level toys to play with.

Embrace the fragility of weapons, it just makes you play more and explore harder

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
and also in the game, and hardbaked into the quest system, and also the dungeons

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

Skyward sword and breath of the wild are opposites

Holy crap this is so accurate! It’s bizarre how every single choice in Skyward Sword leaves me totally cold but Breath of the Wild leaves me in such awe I feel like a kid again with a new game for Christmas.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The dusty brown non-overworld of the sky is garbage and ruins the entire game and then when you decide to force yourself through the lovely bullshit then you have an unskippable stealth challenge and holy poo poo Jesus Skyward Sword sucks so bad Jesus Christ

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wind Walker will age better than every other Zelda. It will literally always look good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

If you weren't busy blowing your gasket about lovely unskippable stealth sequences you might have noticed that those sequences are actually really fun and basically made to test your skills in navigating the environment quickly. They're clearly the best version of the content reuse Skyward Sword gets up to because there's actually a point to reusing the environment: you already know how it's laid out and don't have to waste time first learning the map and then clearing it successfully.

Also they last like three minutes for a successful run

No u waste time waiting for the sentinels to patrol, it’s stupid, it’s nonsensical, and comes out of nowhere. Compared to the stealth in Windwaker, which has a place and contextually makes sense in the game.

But I’m also arguing in bad faith because the game huffs dog rear end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We live in a Post-Baby Yoda society now, age is just a number

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly same. I have lots of different feelings about the other Zeldas but BotW literally reawakened what I loved about video games as a child

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Same but the Mountain Goat deity

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why are you starting a new account instead of a new save file?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zoran posted:

In a blind playthrough of BOTW I think you spend about six to eight hours feeling woefully under-equipped and scared of all the powerful enemies in your way. Then there's a vanishingly small period where you feel like you’re about on even footing and can go anywhere, but you start snowballing really fast with equipment upgrades and special powers, until you’re basically untouchable.

In retrospect, I long for the time when I felt like the game world was out to get me and I had to scramble to survive. I can’t get it back because I know too much about how the game works now.

It’s almost like you were the most powerful knight in the kingdom until you forgot, and you’ve slowly regained all your memories by exploring the world. Now where have I heard that before...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Help! I bought the BOTW Season Pass and got like 20 new quests and I have no idea what is good or bad or what I should attempt first.

I have beaten all 4 dungeons and am basically putting off Gabon indefinitely while I explore and upgrade my armor. I want the badass super master sword upgrade and the motorcycle

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I picked up the magic OHKO tree branch and flew to a spot and it just had some moblins and I got ganked by a swarm of Keese.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s really impossibly difficult for voice actors to come up with original accents that don’t sound like accents we have on Earth already, and I like Hylians having distinct accents, and I like Princess Zelda being a posh brat who has to grow up learn the meaning of sacrifice so I like her accent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want BotW but with all the items from Ocarina of Time and Windwaker and also all the masks from Majora’s Mask

and also I’m a werewolf again

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Zelda opens her mouth but it’s Janine Garafalo wryly condemning Link for showing you too soon and forcing her cigarette break short.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

Since there is no speed-granting equipment (man, if only) the best general-running-around setup is probably sheikah set and chugging speed elixirs.

Would having a set that grants speed up completely break the game in that nobody would ever wear anything else again? I kinda feel like it would. Maybe there could just be a single piece that grants speed +1 and has lovely defence, like a set of pegasus boots for the pants slot.

There are animals you can ride that are much faster than your little elf legs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

I don't see how that has anything to do with my question, but ok

I’m saying the game already has items that make you move faster than running speed and they don’t break anything. Personally I feel like I spent 90% of my time in this game climbing or snowboarding on my shield if there’s any kind of long open pathway where a run speed item would really benefit me I’m probably just gonna teleport to the nearest tower and float down to my location anyway

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would accept a Bunny Hood but only if it made monsters more aggressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If we went back to a “3 starter dungeons, then a big setpiece, then 7 big dungeons” format I’d be pretty disappointed.