Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.
Trip Report:

This game dominated my game-playing time for the entire month and I have no regrets. Fun as hell. Possibly the best Zelda since Ocarina/Majora's one-two combo.

Weapon durability is such a non-issue here. I was drowning in melee weapons the entire playthrough, never even came close to running out except maybe in the first hour of play on the Plateau when I started with nothing. I usually had the opposite problem instead, and had to decide which awesome weapon to discard because of limited inventory space. Same issue with bows and shields (until I got the Hylian Shield - might as well throw away everything else at that point). A much more egregious concept was the laughably small stamina meter that Link starts the game with. I couldn't get the Master Sword for a stupidly long time because I always prioritized stamina upgrades over health - everything uses stamina in this game and it never felt like I had enough, even after I maxed out the meter. I don't want to slowly crawl up cliffsides, drat it, let me jump up them! I've got places to be and princesses to save!

Framerate was hilariously bad in places while in Switch Docked Mode, namely anywhere with lots of grass and trees. Portable Mode had no noticeable problems with framerate. The game would literally freeze for several seconds if I looked at a Moblin funny near Death Mountain, though. I hear the new patch fixes this? Haven't tested it yet.

When I needed them, my preferred way to farm rupees was to sell Gourmet Meat to the guy at the Outskirts Stable. He gives 100 rupees per meat and you can sell three of them every in-game day. Using the nearby cooking pot as a makeshift campfire to fast-forward time, I was able to make over a thousand rupees in less than five minutes. Of course, this only worked because I had a strange fascination with Hebra (I blame shield-surfing) and had built up this ridiculous Gourmet Meat stockpile - everything you hunt gives Gourmet Meat up there, even the skinny-rear end wolves. Just gotta be quick about snatching it off the ground before it freezes in the sub-zero temperatures, because of course the developers implemented that.

Fun fact: equipping a fire weapon raises your temperature in cold areas. The opposite also works with ice weapons in the desert. Temperature elixirs are for chumps.

Another fun fact: When you drop an Octo Balloon onto an object, that object gets lifted into the air. I used them to make a flying raft for five magical seconds. Luckily the angry Lizalfos I was ignoring at the time was polite enough to stand under the raft when it crash-landed.

I completed all the shrines before finishing the game. My fave was probably Evertide Island, even if it curbstomped my poor unprepared rear end the first time I stumbled on it. I later went back with thirteen hearts and kicked its rear end instead. It was a wonderful surprise to just randomly discover and I wish there were more unique shrines like that in the game. Least favorite shrines were probably the Major Tests of Strength due to repetition and general frustration, before I figured out all the tricks to killing those little fuckers. After I was able to beat them consistently my opinion of them improved a bit since they are a reliable source of good weapons.

Holy poo poo, Hyrule Castle. What a perfect endcap to the game, it contrasts all the other locations so well. I spent hours wondering what happened to my Zelda music before staggering slack-jawed into that place. Had to calculate what Spider-Man route I'd take around all the goopy poo poo in order to visit every location, and then did some Metal Gear Solid through the interior for a while before saying "gently caress it" and going on a righteous rampage. I wouldn't mind a couple more dungeons of that size and scope, rather than the short affairs that the advertising for this game claimed were its "dungeons". (Don't get me wrong, I had fun with the Divine Beasts too, I just wish they'd been longer.)

Christ in a supersonic bumper car made of cheese, which tone-deaf voice director cast Zelda's english VA for this game? She sounds like one of the Monty Python blokes doing a tryhard version of their fake female falsetto. She also has about as much emotion and inflection as a wet Bokoblin club. All the rest of the voice acting is at least decent, how did Nintendo gently caress up the biggest role so badly?

Now that I've finally beaten the game (only took 26 days!) I am now debating whether I am masochistic enough to find all the seeds - probably not, I already got the ultimate reward for that spoiled by a friend. I'll just wander around Hyrule and murder poo poo, try to kill Lynels while naked, that sort of thing.

BTW, Lynels will push your poo poo in at first since they actually have multiple attacks unlike everything else. I found this tutorial very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUPHWJuzC0

Finally, thanks to whichever person saved twenty hearts to this used Wolf Link amiibo I bought at Gamestop last year, you are the true MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress are you supposed to do against the Silver Lynel's spin attack? You can't run from it 90% of the time because the attack is so wide, parrying it is dumb luck because there's no real indication when to actually parry and shielding it is just going to destroy your shields. Are you just supposed to go into this with full Daruk's Protection and Urbosa's rage and cheese it to death?

edit: I got it, just stasis it as soon as you see it charging it and a couple hits during stasis cancels it. gently caress this guy. Where are the rest of the Silver Lynels for me to murder? They must die.

Hebra is lousy with those things, try riding around the snowfields for a while.

Also, I heartily recommend the Colosseum Ruins southwest of Hyrule Field if you are itching for a good fight.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I think we can all agree star fragments are the biggest pita ingredient. Getting dragon parts is a cake walk and I can basically stroll up and farm them at perfect spots as much as I want, but star fragments require 7-8 day skips on top of a giant rear end hike to get one.

Here's the secret to farming Star Fragments:

Teleport to a really tall location - I prefer the Shee Vaneer shrine on top of the Dueling Peaks. Drop a campfire on the spot and use it to wait until nightfall. As soon as the game loads, go to the system menu, save the game, and then fully exit the game by returning to the Home Menu and closing the application. Then start the game again and load your save. This resets the game's internal timer for spawning a new Star Fragment and makes it very likely that you will get one that night. (No 7-8 day skips required - I consistently got them to spawn during all moon phases this way.)

Stand at the tallest point of your current location, aim Link at the biggest flat and open area you can see from your vantage point, then set the controller down and wait. The fragment should fall within your field of view. Use the Shiekah Slate's zoom to mark where it fell, then check your map. If it's close to another shrine, teleport there. Otherwise, jump off your vantage point and glide to it. Repeat this until you have a satisfying hoard of fragments. I'm now rocking fully-upgraded Ocarina of Time amiibo armor thanks to this and am debating doing the same for the Twilight Princess set.

Also, the dog in Lurelin Village is the best dog. Try feeding it four or five times.

As for getting dragon parts, those dudes always spawn at dawn, so it's easy to encounter them by finding a good spot where they pass by and using a campfire to wait until morning. If you'd rather not deal with shooting them, their parts are in chests scattered around and inside Hyrule Castle.

andipossess posted:

As far as I know, the trailer music is absent from the game.

It plays during the credits. That weird-rear end skip in the middle of the song is in the game, too.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

RVWinkle posted:

I'm also bothered by the 100 year old kawaii scientist in a child's body. This game has all kinds of creepy sexual fetishes though if you also take into account the giant fairies.

What you seem to be forgetting is that literally anything can be a creepy sexual fetish. It is unavoidable. I admire Nintendo for throwing so much stupid, wacky, and goofy poo poo in the game over the protests of those fans that read too much into everything.

Notice how Link is not at all thrilled by Great Fairy shenanigans. If this were pandering to a fetish, he'd pop a boner or at least look somewhat pleased, not scream in terror and faint.

Harrow posted:

Twilight Princess update: Lakebed Temple was pretty cool. I wish the bosses posed more of a threat because there are some pretty neat ideas in their design and how you fight them. Morpheel was fun but there wasn't really any point at which I felt like it could actually damage me.

They all suffer from Zelda Formula Syndrome, whereby if you remember the big important weapon/tool you acquired in the dungeon then you have completed 50% of the work towards figuring out how to beat them. Breath of the Wild tried to fix this by making all of the bosses more generic and beatable using just the base set of tools it provides you at the beginning of the game, which I'm not sure is a better solution since it means each boss is less interesting and memorable.

My favorite Twilight Princess boss was probably in the Arbiter's Grounds. It was wild and exciting, like a roller coaster. There is nothing like it in BoTW, which is especially frustrating since the game could've easily had something similar with mine carts.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol. 1000 year old dragon in a 10 year old body. Its totally moral to bang.

Just once I want to see Japan try to pull the inverse and stick a 10-year-old mind inside of an old wrinkly grandma

a.k.a. dementia

GobiasIndustries posted:

Maybe just like, regions to check out to get things started, unless that is too spoilery? I don't want to get told what to do but places to look to start those quests would be nice, I feel like I'm running around aimlessly right now.

There's just one "quest" for those guys. Here's three hints for how to start it, in increasing levels of spoilery-ness:

Spoiler Hint #1: The quest starts when you climb a certain mountain.

Spoiler Hint #2: The mountain is in Necluda.

Spoiler Hint #3: Look for the tall, spiky mountain due east of Kakariko Village. It's called Mount Lanayru.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

GobiasIndustries posted:

My inability kill Guardians well caught up to me at the castle, where running away from a guardian just meant running into the crosshairs of at least two others.

Sounds rough. I bet you could use a vacation from all that stress - I hear northeastern Akkala is nice this time of year.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

veni veni veni posted:

I wish the master sword actually had a timer instead of disappearing until its ready.

Ever tried selecting it in your inventory menu while it's on cooldown? (Not the quick menu that you access with the D-Pad, the actual pause menu.)

My preferred method of fighting a Lynel ATM is dropping a heavy rock on their head a couple hundred times while wearing full metal plate and the Thunder Helm during a thunderstorm. Who needs weapons?

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Captain Invictus posted:

I have not done anything with the camera yet, anything insanely important it's for? Like I took a picture of a blupee for a quest but other than little stuff like that nothing.

The humble camera is probably one of the most useful tools in the game after you upgrade your Shiekah Sensor.

By default, the Shiekah Sensor looks for shrines. But once you upgrade it, it can also search for any item, animal, monster, weapon, or shield that you take a picture of and put in the Compendium. This is extremely handy for many reasons. It helps you find components for upgrading equipment, it lets you pinpoint high-value stuff like Rare Ore Deposits or Treasure Chests, it lets you find food if Link is low on health, it lets you track down common useful tools like Iron Sledgehammers/Lumber Axes/Torches/Korok Leaves when the situation requires it, it lets you locate specific enemies so you can avoid them (or charge at them, like I do), and after a prolonged archery battle it lets you find and collect all the arrows that were shot at you.

Harrow posted:

Here's a question for Twilight Princess: are the Twili supposed to be Gerudo? I'm guessing probably not, but, well, you only see one Gerudo in Twilight Princess (Ganondorf)...

Take a closer look at Telma next time you're in her bar.

parallelodad posted:

I can't get any star pieces! I just need one more for fully upgrading my diamond circlet. I've gone to dueling peaks and watched the sky, that worked three times. But ever since I go there every night and no star pieces drop. Phase of the moon doesn't matter. I've had them drop during every phase before and not drop at all during a full moon.

At the beginning of the night, save the game, close the game, reopen the game, load your save. That should reset the timer for spawning a star piece and force a new one to spawn that night. I did this 10+ times in a row when I needed to max out my amiibo armor set.

Also, go southeast to Lurelin Village and feed the dog there 5 pieces of food.

grilldos posted:

My dude you can pause in the middle of fighting Ganon to eat a chicken wing and drink a soda.

I AM HERE TO SLAY YOU GANON just let me slam this Dew first

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

The Lobster posted:

I got this the other day and I used it once, what makes it special? I think it was firing light arrows or something even though I had bomb arrows selected but other than that?

Fun Fact about the Twilight Bow:

According to the official guide, the best non-amiibo bow in the game has a range of 100 meters.

The Twilight Bow has a range of 8,000 meters.

The distance from the Tabantha Tower to Evertide Island is roughly ~7,000 meters, according to this insane japanese guy who glided the entire distance as part of a minigame (spoilers in there, obv). Meaning if enemies were persistent and didn't disappear with distance, you could literally snipe them from across the map with that thing.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Harrow posted:

That's the 100-meter one (actually I think the guide says 500 meters). That range is long enough that you basically don't have to account for arrow drop in any realistic scenario, especially not in the only fight you get to use it in. The Twilight Bow's range is comical.

For reference, the best range for a normal, general-use bow that you can get without amiibo is 40 meters--that's the Duplex Bow, Phrenic Bow, and all of the Rito bows. Most bows have a range of 20 meters. So 500 meters is already insane.

Whoops. Just double-checked and yeah, it's 500 meters. Also that video doesn't start at Tabantha Tower, it starts at another tower closer to Hyrule Field. Herpaderp.

Doesn't change the fact that the Twilight Bow is absolutely obscene and I hate that Nintendo charges you $12.99 for it, IF you can find the amiibo in the first place.

Argue posted:

I was really confused when I saw everyone talking about how big Hyrule Castle is because I went there and aside from the study outside all I found was the Sanctum. Then I tried one of the approaches one of the stable people said and infiltrated from much lower and boy, I saw what everyone meant. It must be at least as big as a region from Metroid Prime.

I hope the DLC dungeon is a pseudo-roguelike dungeon in that it's bigger than Hyrule Castle and goes deeper and deeper and progressively more difficult. And it should have darknuts and redeads. Also I hope you can just switch hard mode on instead of starting the game over.

I can't even imagine how obnoxious a Darknut fight would be with degradable weapons. It'd take half of my stick of choice's durability just to get its armor off before I could actually start damaging it. I could only see it working as a special end-of-area boss that gives you its armor afterwards as an equippable set.

gently caress Redeads too, getting frozen by Ice Keese/Chuchus in this game is annoying enough.

I hear a lot of people complain about enemy variety in this game but I honestly believe the developers made the best choices they could considering how they backed themselves into a corner with the durability system. Weapons break so frequently that if the devs put a lot of enemies in the game that don't carry weapons, it would actively hurt the player's experience. It's why we don't see Bari, Kargoroks, Peahats, Tektites, Skulltulas, or Leevers in this game. The few weaponless enemies that the developers did put in also wound up having low health because of this.

With this in mind, I dunno what other enemies they could put in and still maintain the game's balance. Maybe monsters that don't use weapons could have their body parts fall off like the Stalfos arms in this game. Bombchu tails as explosive flails, Skulltula legs as boomerangs...

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Captain Invictus posted:

Who is the best character in all of breath of the wild?

Answer: every single lizal. NYEH NYAH NYEH, NRRRAH!

That's a weird way to spell "dog".

Today I learned that when it rains, you travel much further and faster while shield-surfing on grass because everything is wet and slippery. This fact somehow escaped me during my entire playthrough and the multiple post-game hours I've spent hunting down everything that breathes.

I can't believe I'm still learning stuff. This loving game, man.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I want it to be something really bizarre and not just a repeat of poo poo we've already done. I hope it's not in Hyrule and on the outer areas we can't access.

Y'know what I'm hoping for? Exploring a place outside of Hyrule that has already been featured in a Zelda game, but after it has fallen into ruin like Hyrule has.

For example: Termina. It was shown off in a single game and never alluded to again in the series. I'd like to take a trip back there and see the sights in true HD. But just exploring Termina 10,000 years later would be boring. I want to explore Termina as it would be after the moon fell on it.

I want to navigate a huge-rear end crater in the middle of Termina Field and find fragments of Clock Town blown miles away from ground zero in the ruined mountains, swamp, ocean, and canyon. They could put the new dungeon inside of the shell of the moon, at the center of the crater. Furthermore, if they were so inclined, the devs could take this opportunity to do all sorts of poo poo with masks as equipment in the BoTW engine.

Or what about the Twilight Realm? We barely saw any of that place in Twilight Princess. I'd like to see what the devs would do to it in this engine. Wolf Link is already coded into the game, too, it'd be easy to implement him into the area.

Hell, throw in the Dark World while they're at it, and let us wander around a twisted version of the existing Hyrule map with a new dungeon in Not-Hyrule Castle.

But I doubt any of this will happen. At best they'll add Ordon as an explorable area to the west or north, across the vast canyon.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

The Lobster posted:

Anyway I just need a reason why I should do this boarding sequence for a dungeon I'm not going to like to fight a boss I'm going to find unpleasant tonight or whatever rather than to continue to put it off. Basically, what is in it for me if I do this unfun thing now rather than later?

Because it gives you an awesome ability.

Because it gives you (eventual) access to an awesome piece of equipment.

Because you won't be able to complete all the shrines/collect all the seeds until you do it.

Because it is a pain in the rear end to avoid a huge section of the desert under threat of getting zapped.

Because if you don't do it at all, you'll still have to fight the boss later anyway, and you won't get the true ending.

Because Riju is adorable and she is asking you very nicely to please help, and only a mean and probably ugly person would refuse her.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

The Lobster posted:

I definitely liked that memory, and I'm looking forward to that power which I think is super cool (only crappy power I think is the Goron one really) but I was just balking at the boarding the beast section specifically. I finally just sucked it up and did it after all you guys made me and it was pretty lovely but at least it's over and now I have a dungeon to solve. It's not as lovely a dungeon as I was thinking it would be but it's still not my favorite though. I can cheese it a bit with the Rito power I think.

Pro Tip: you can use metal weapons to bridge the gaps between power lines. Just place them carefully with Magnesis. This lets you skip a particularly annoying puzzle at one point.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are you able to feed the snowfield stables dog? He wants to eat like all the others but every time he starts eating the drat steak freezes

Try different food. Dogs in this game are omnivores, they'll eat anything.

Edit:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been pondering Breath of the Wild's hypothetical "Majora's Mask" follow up and I'm really in love with the idea of a spawling city of medieval fantasy towers. Something like if you built Stormwind on top of Ironforge and made them both much bigger. In this version you get around not via a glider, but a pair of clawshots. Nearly every surface can be latched onto, and they propel you with momentum equal to the distance you shoot a target from. While in the air, you go into the same bullet time as bows in BotW. You essentially get to spidermans around whatever Not-Hyrule setting works for the next game.

And to take the superhero connection a bit further, in a callback to LttP, you are branded an enemy of the state by Primary Antagonist after the tutorial, and will be fled from by townsfolk and chased by guards. Fortunately, however, Tingle knows the truth and makes you a disguise so you can go out in public unharassed. A Tingle disguise.

NOBODY WILL SUSPECT A THING

Roundabout Route fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 10, 2017

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Phantasium posted:

The only divine beast I went next to was Vah Naboris, do the others have obvious punishments to them?

I mean I know Vah Medoh (without the flying mine cart anyway) isn't actually able to be gotten to, but like, if you take Cryonis blocks near Vah Ruta before the boarding event do you get attacked?

I feel like it's weird that Naboris is the only one that tries to, otherwise.

The very first beast I tried to take on was Rutah. At the time I didn't know anything about the process for accessing a dungeon and I had already concluded that roads were for losers, so I was climbing up over the mountains surrounding Lanayru. For some mysterious reason it was raining a lot, but I just took this as a challenge to meet head-on, rather than the game sending me a clear message to try something else. I ignored the entire route to Zora's Domain and painstakingly crawled up Ruto Mountain while it was raining (it's possible, just VERY slow) so I could survey the land from the peak. I noticed a big mysterious thing in the middle of a lake spewing water into the air and concluded I could probably land on it if I glided down there.

It turned out I was correct. It also turned out that Rutah has a zero-tolerance policy for stupid newbie shenanigans. I don't think I died, but I came close.

After getting my rear end thrown out of there I decided to go activate the area's tower so I could have some idea of what I was doing, and found all the Zoras in the world waiting for me at Lanayru's road entrance, telling me exactly where to go to advance the plot. Derp.

I'm still curious to know whether the game would've broken into tiny pieces if I had gone straight to Zora's Domain instead of the tower, thus skipping the entire section leading up to it.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

seiferguy posted:

Guardian amiibos go for $50 on Amazon right now :saddowns:

Wow, that's downright cheap compared to what I expected.

I saw rare Amiibos that retailed for $12 sell on eBay for $100+. And those were tiny normal-sized Amiibos too, not monstrosities like the Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Calaveron posted:

Find 900 more of his little turds in 3 days OR

A giant Tingle sits his fat butt on Clock Town and ends the world