Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

it's going to satisfy me as well, the person with 20 wii u games who's buying an nx day 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I'm pretty happy that both of the huge games from my childhood's latest installments start the same way.

Also I don't know how weird this is to ask, but in the year-ish before Skyward Sword came out there was a big Goon simuplay challenge of the whole series, and seeing as we have this coming up and between the 3ds and WiiU you can pretty much play every game in the series asides from 4 swords, I'm wondering if there'd be any interest in doing it again this year?

Last time I got up to OOT, broke a 3ds screen and couldn't finish and I've wanted an excuse to try again..

I did every game with a challenge back then, but I just started a timeline order run through the series. I'm 2 dungeons into Skyward Sword on hero mode with 6 hearts/no shield and no healing items. this game looks incredible on dolphin.

I think I'm just going to go down the hero fails timeline since I've played most of the other games in the timeline recently.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shoehead posted:

How do you have controls set up for SS on Dolphin? I have it on VWii but I play games at a desk and wiimotes and desks don't play well together.

real wiimotion plus with a dolphin bar, my PC is hooked up to a TV. I don't know if wiimotion plus can be emulated in dolphin yet.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

drunk asian neighbor posted:

How does LA reward you for never dying?

There's a secret at the end of the game if you never die.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My grandma maxed out the death counter in Zelda 1 at 255. It doesn't delete your save.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Off the top of my head the file select death counter is definitely in 1,2, LttP, LA, OoT and the Oracle games. Not sure about the rest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

13 hearts with the green tunic is basically 3 hearts. Ganon does so much damage and you have to spin attack to even hurt him with the l2 sword. It's awesome.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, I guess it was confirmation bias then.

No, you're right. Skyward Sword uses the sensor bar to calibrate wiimotion plus on the fly, so sunlight could definitely affect your calibration. The controls made a lot more sense to me once I realized that I should actually be using the sensor bar as a neutral point.

Of course, you can play without the sensor bar past initial calibration but you're going to eventually need to recalibrate. So it's best to point the controller at the sensor bar anyway.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

greatn posted:

Huh, i don't remember it costing $20 more. Was that in all regions?

Pretty sure I paid $60 for the Gold Wii Remote edition in the US. So $10 more than a normal wii game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Xad posted:

One of my favorite little things control-wise in SS was how using the bow felt.

You hold up the wiimote and nunchuk, hold C to aim and then pull back and fire and for some reason that always felt super awesome to me, especially since it was so easy to aim with the wiimote compared to aiming with the control stick in OoT and MM.

Sniping bigger enemies with the level 3 bow feels awesome every time. The bow controls are perfect and I'm going to miss them in BotW.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

That sucks. Do any of the other 3DS Zeldas have dress up options?

It's not horrible single player but not as great as multiplayer either. It's kind of interesting to figure out how to get through some of the levels alone at least. But if you aren't going to play online at all I wouldn't buy it.

I played through the whole thing with friends and did a few maps with randoms too. They can be dumb but it is fun to communicate with them using the 8 chat buttons that you get.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Wait, seriously? The starter sword has worse damage than a literal stick?

Yes, and the crouch stab's damage value is set to the value of your last attack. So you can jump slash with a deku stick then do all of the damage as a child.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I beat zelda 1 when I was 6 and the second quest when I was 10. thank you grandma for starting the map that I finished

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Nah, you can reset the aiming in those cases with the down arrow. It's gyroscopic.

Skyward Sword can be played without the sensor bar after the initial calibration but it does use the bar to recalibrate the motion plus on the fly.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The upgrade system isn't even all that bad in Skyward Sword. Unless it gets really bad later on, I've only done one resource run. I just beat the ancient cistern and upgraded everything I have to the best they can be. I needed some tumbleweeds because they are a real bitch to catch, and some ancient flowers. Though I do usually stop to pick up whatever I can find and I smash every pot after doing that in every other Zelda game. My only complaint so far is that it's tricky to gauge when to swing the net. So unless something gets really annoying in the next few dungeons, I don't have anything against it. I would much rather be able to treasure hunt my way into bigger bomb bags and whatever than have to play some dipshit shooting gallery minigame with terrible controls.

Goons get angry because they're too slow to catch tumbleweeds to upgrade their bow.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been going on a Zelda 1 spree because my Breath of the Wild hype levels are off the charts after that trailer. First I just beat the game, then I beat it in under an hour (barely) and now I'm up to level 5 of a swordless run which is really hard.

After this run I'm going to start a Zelda marathon and play through an entire timeline starting with SS and going down the defeated hero timeline. I think BotW will fit into that branch and it has all of my favorite Zeldas anyway. Probably going to do a challenge run for every game too since I'll be continuing the 6 heart hero mode run of SS that I started last year. The last official timeline came out with Skyward Sword, but is there a consensus on where Link Between Worlds fits in? It's after LttP of course but when exactly.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Guess it would be after Oracles then.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh right, Oracles are before LA. I always get that backwards.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The intro to the Oracle games has Link teleporting to Labyrnna/Holodrum by touching the Triforce and he gets on a boat at the end of those two games. I guess that's the reasoning.

I do wonder what happened to that Link after Koholint Island disappeared.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

He had the flippers dude.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

If I recall correctly Evil Eagle has gotten every fish at every fishing spot in MM

Props. Fishing counts for 100%. If nothing else it's one of the most challenging things in the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some hacker found evidence that they were originally planning to let you fish as Sheik, Ganondorf and Impa and I'm so sad they didn't include that feature in the final release.

In OoT or MM?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

There's fishing in MM?

In the 3DS version, yes. There are 2 fishing holes and 25 total fish types to catch.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That's really weird but I'd love to fish as Ganon.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Here it is folks. The best dungeon in the whole series.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I hope there's a way to actually upgrade Link and friends' physical attributes. Make him climb faster, give him better stamina, improve your horses' running speed, stuff like that.

EDIT: Gliders that glide better, bombs and magnesis with more power/range, so on and so forth.

The game awards footage had a second stamina wheel around the first one. Link is definitely getting upgraded somehow.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Keiya posted:

So where are you guys going to set out for first? I'm thinking of heading south - I've had enough of cold and snow, between Skyrim and it being January in Wisconsin right now.

I'm going through the Twin Peaks ASAP.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been playing this the last few days.

https://sites.google.com/site/zeldarandomizer/

It's a Zelda 1 randomizer with a ton of options. My favorite preset so far is Chaos mode. Zelda 1 with randomized dungeon layouts is the game of my dreams and I might just play random seeds of this until Breath of the Wild releases.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Augus posted:

Does the randomizer regularly spit out unwinnable garbage or is it coded like Spelunky not to do that or what

Both Chaos mode seeds I used were completable. There's a list of guarantees on the page that show how they try and ensure that each seed can be beaten.

E: https://sites.google.com/site/zeldarandomizer/guarantees

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 25, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Megasabin posted:

As in the shortcuts open up after you die? Cause she's making it to the boss each time, which makes me assume she's probably going through the whole dungeon and discovering any shortcuts that are there?

Also she isn't concerned with the renting cost. She doesn't want to have to run all the way back to town to rent it again every single time she dies. That's the main reason she's turning the DS off everytime.

Does she have the bell? If so she can quick travel between every save point on the overworld. I'm not sure how early you get it but I don't think it's missable.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Megasabin posted:

She's dying to the 1st boss. Yagu. I'm not sure she has a bell. I'm gonna tell her to go back and save after finishing the puzzles.

What about her concern that if she died and the shopkeeper took her bow, that she would have to run all the way back to town. Is that what would happen if she hit continue?

If she dies in a dungeon she will have the option to spawn back in the dungeon or the rental area. So she would just have to run back or fast travel to the dungeon from there.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Is there a Zelda game besides LoZ (maybe LoZ II as well?) that doesn't let you save at any point? Granted some games require you to go to an actual object to save, but they all let you complete a dungeon, go save, prepare and then come back for the boss.

You can save at any point in Zelda 1 and 2 by pressing a button combo on controller 2 while it's paused. You have to use save points in Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds, and Majora's Mask has a weird save system.

E: missed your point about save points. So yeah I think Majora's Mask is the only one.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 17, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

I must have missed a key somewhere, boys is behind a locked door in level 4.

I'll beat you before botw, Zelda 1!

You can use any key from any dungeon for the locked doors in Zelda 1. I usually end the game with like 10 extra keys.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Art and Artifacts is severely lacking in Link's Awakening content. No enemy art at all, and I don't think there's even Wind Fish art. No sprite art either. Very disappointing. I was hoping to find more art of my username.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

hey zelda thread, should try to finish skyward sword by friday? i've had it for years and only recently ripped the disc (late last year) started playing through it on dolphin with a real wiimote. i am up to the desert mines area which i believe, going by zelda tradition, is like super early and just before i get the master sword? or this is another wind waker situation where there's only like 2 dungeons left?

thing is i keep getting really annoyed by the constant hand holding that really brings the games pace to a crawl. and how annoying it is to fight correctly.

should i persist? yay/nay

you have like 5 dungeons left at least

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If I missed a picture of a boss is it possible to get that slot filled in the compendium? If not I'll save obsessively documenting all of hyrule's enemies and items for another playthrough

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So I think I broke Satori Mountain. Anyone know if you can actually catch the weird rainbow horse that's there?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also, the Talus really feel like poo poo that was developed in the prototyping phase and they just didn't cut them out. Not only do they look like poo poo they're terrible to fight because their awkward body shapes makes climbing them janky. I get what they tried to do but it just isn't fun.

It's fun as hell to kill a Talus in a single heavy weapon spin attack actually.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I guess blood moons just aren't going to happen any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Forced item removal is a real pet peeve of mine

It's a 30 minute section at most. You have at least 26 hearts just do it