Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Re: Difficulty

With the game being so open, my guess is that enemy strength will be the primary limiting factor in how fast you can progress through the game. That is to say, early on, a lone Guardian will be enough to make taking "that" path or going to "this" shrine difficult enough that most players won't have the skill/patience to defeat them and thus, move on to lower hanging fruit. Basically, it's a soft gear-check: you better be really good or have good enough gear to take on tougher enemies. It's like in the treehouse presentation: even Link on a horse with some (likely lower-level) gear was no match for a single mobile Guardian. Better players might be able to kill Guardians early but most won't.

The oft-quoted "you can go take on Calamity Ganon from the start" is technically true but practically impossible for 99% of players because the margin for error will be so slim. If Ganon can't one-shot you from the beginning of the game, what kind of end boss would he be?

Also, I think it would be both cool and good if Calamity Ganon was a false final boss. Something more akin to Magus in Chrono Trigger: the big bad for most of the game but once you defeat him you realize he's not the true threat and that the real end game begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Speaking of 100%

How many endings do you think BotW will have? Something like Bad, Good, Better, and "100%."? Of course, I sincerely hope they go the Chrono Trigger route and have like 30 of them depending on defeating Ganon at various points throughout the story.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

well why not posted:

OOT3D definitely feels quaint just because it's world is so small scale. There's only really one of everything. It's super weird that the village is like, 20 metres from the castle town. It's next door to the only other piece of Hylian civilisation.

The time mechanic in OOT and MM was genius, because it let them add variety to such a small world.

I think I was 15 or so when OOT came out and Hyrule Field felt huge. I know its hard to believe but when you first step out on it, it felt like what we're seeing in BotW when Link first leaves the cave. It's just that games have progressed so much in 20 years. Now we have come to expect huge landscapes but back then, it took a whole 10 minutes to go across the world and that's on a horse! We've come a long way.

This game will be out in a week. This is both cool and good.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even ten minutes is an overestimation. Pretty sure the Biggoron sword required you to go from Lake Hylia to the top of Death Mountain in three minutes.

Haha, you're right though (:spergin:) it's four minutes. I remember completing it in under that, though so your point is still well made. God, it felt bigger than that.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I'm trying to avoid spoilers but these early previews are exactly what I want to see. What's great is that there's still so much mystery surrounding the environment and what you're going to face. I'm going to have to avoid the internet for the next two weeks or so until I get my copy but everything I've seen so far is really impressive and I haven't seen almost any negativity yet.

It feels like those that have played it act like kids in a candy store: a kind of child-like joy and awe. I think I'm happier about recapturing that than almost anything else.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Zelda BotW: Saving Bitches and Selling Switches

Or

Zelda BotW: $360 is Reasonable Actually

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Is the big horned guy throwing the stalfos off the cliff because of monster hostilities (a la Doom) or because "hey, I'm bigger than you and you're expendable anyway :throws at Link:"?

Either one is really cool.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
My Amazon pre-order is still in limbo. Think I'll have better luck just walking into a store on Friday? (Wii U version)

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Perhaps my memory is short/foggy but has any system at launch been as dependent on a single game as Switch/BotW?

The other piece of this is the game's own hype. The E3 demo got people interested in it in a way that is rare these days. Perhaps it is simply scratching the right itch at the right time for the gaming industry.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Mario 64 definitely had to carry the N64 at launch (Pilot Wings was the only other game) but stuff like Wave Race and a few other cool titles (Blast Corps) weren't far behind. Halo carried the XBox but it launched with 20 or so odd titles.

So yeah, Nintendo is banking on BotW like they banked on Mario 64. Come to think of it, the reactions have been pretty similar between both games: people just kind of talk about how much of a joy it is to play them.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Reviews are all essentially saying the same thing, which is the number #1 fear that everyone had when people started seeing how big the map of BotW was: yeah it's big but is there anything to do in it?

The answer appears to be a resounding "yes," so much so that it re-invented the genre. One review, paraphrased, said that the world feels randomly generated at times (i.e. you always have a feeling of fresh exploration) but you know that each tree and rock is hand-placed and intentional. Most reviewers have 50-60 hours in and don't think they've done everything and had to quickly rush the story to get the review out on time. The lack of proper dungeons (spoiler I guess?) really doesn't bother me if the mechanics and spirit are still present, just out in the open world.

All that said, GOAT talk needs to be taken down a notch because it's going to set unrealistic expectations.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Do the set bonuses also improve at Lvl 3 and 4?

Also, the game seems to be scaling as I get more heart/stamina containers. I rarely run into any non-black or silver bokoblins anymore and every stalfos is a Moblin or Lizalfos wielding dragonbone or greater weapons. That's fine (it keeps things interesting and it replenishes my weapon stock) but unless I go back to the Plateau, I never see any low-level enemies anymore.

Going to add the chorus of praises about the game. I'm 3 Divine Beasts down, about 75 shrines and 100 or so Korok Seeds in. Still have a great fairy to get, a lot of armor to upgrade, and two memories (the one in the forest has very few distinguishing marks on it) but this is by far the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. I still haven't laid on eyes on about 1/3 of the map let alone set foot on it. GOTY by far and easily the best game I've played in 10+ years.

Oh. My kids were watching not long after I got off the Plateau and the whole world was still fresh and mysterious. I hadn't spoiled myself yet so I'm gliding across lake Hylia and there's Farosh flying in the sky. I didn't even know there were dragons in the game and there he was, 500 feet long and throwing lightning orbs all over. I tried getting across the lake with Cryosis and he went 10 feet over my head. My kids were going nuts and truth be told, so was I. We sat there silent, somewhat in awe and disbelief, for about 5 minutes as he did his circuit around the lake. Rarely does a game have "magic" like that for me anymore but this game has had dozens of moments already and I'm not even done yet. There are games with good stories and games with beautiful graphics but the games that are truly memorable are the ones that turn you back into a awestruck child, even if only for a moment. Kudos to the Devs for making me feel 8 again. :3:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
So what's the point of the Master Sword within the story?

In the final Ganon fight(s), there is literally no mention of it at all. Link doesn't get a final blow and the Master Sword doesn't have any more effect than any other weapon of equal strength. I get that if you don't have it then you simply make do with light arrows and whatnot but if you do have it, I guess I was expecting a tag team of Link with the Master Sword and Zelda with the binding power, per the legend. For a sword that seals the darkness, it doesn't do any sealing!

No one has tried doing a down thrust with the Master Sword on Ganon's final "eye" have they?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I really would have liked to have seen a cutscene of when Ganon emerged 10,000 years ago and was met with the combined might of a united Hyrule and legions of Guardians/Divine Beasts all just waiting for him to emerge. Ganon couldn't just "NOPE" out of there and instead got curbstomped. Apparently, the victory was so decisive that Ganon needed 10,000 years to recuperate when in other games it seems only a few centuries pass before he comes back.

Perhaps that's why we get that Zelda reference of him not saving his power to reincarnate. He got totally demolished last time and would rather swing for the fences now rather than have to wait multiple millennia.

Also re: Master Sword, even with non-linearity factored in, an added "Does Player have Master Sword: Yes" sequence is appropriate considering how built up it is in-game. Perhaps after firing the last light arrow at the giant eye, the Dark Beast Ganon falls down and you're given an opportunity to plunge the sword into his ugly mug. That's all it had to be. It needn't be vital to defeating the boss/game but a nod to the player that if you want the "good" ending, you need the weapon. I guess I just see a wasted opportunity.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Does anybody know the point of Makar Island? Spoilered just in case, though there isn't really any story stuff: It's an island beside the Lost Woods that the wind tries really hard to keep you from paragliding to. When you get there, it's just a dead tree, a rock, some barren landscape, a burnt out campfire, and... bones. Piles of bones. I lifted the rock expecting a Korok. Nothing. So on a whim, I decided to light the campfire and wait until night.

I was greeted with a loving Skeleton Orgy. Like two or three of every kind of Stal-enemy crawled out of the ground at the same time and tried to gang-bang me with dragonbone weapons and ice and bomb arrows. It was kind of insane. I figured something would happen if I killed them all, but... nothing. Is that all that Makar Island has to offer? Just a Skeleton Dance Party for anybody dumb enough to camp there?

Literally went there for the first time today. I didn't get it either. I was there during the day so nothing really happened besides a ton of Chuchus popping up. I'll have to revisit at night with the Radiant set and see what happens. Makar is a character in the wind waker but I don't get how a bone island is in reference to him.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
My kids like to watch me ride the horses and I keep telling them that, unfortunately, fast travel between shrines/towers is just way faster. At the beginning of the game, I get how having a horse can get you from A to B faster than running but the biggest strike against horses is they can't climb. Climbing is the lifeblood of this game and horses can't do it so...welp.

Once you fill in the map with Shrines, I don't find myself using horses almost at all but I will say the stable-system is pretty cool and there are enough of them (in decent locations) that if I wanted to travel by horse wherever, I could do so easily.

Perhaps Hard Mode will only have fast travel between unlocked towers and not shrines. Holy poo poo that would make the game more difficult.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I don't think I tried but is it possible to scale death mountain all the way to the top

Absolutely.

There's even a sign at the top that says: "Hyrule's Best Peaks #1: Death Mountain" or something to that effect.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Going up Death Mountain, there were a bunch of Moblins and every time I knocked one down (and it ragdolled down the mountain) there would be an abrupt freeze for 1-2 seconds. It only happens with Moblins so I knew that going in but it's jarring nonetheless.

I haven't played since the patch hit so I'll be curious if they did something about that.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I have terrible sense of scale, how big are the leviathan skeletons compared to a blue whale's?

They're probably 2-3x bigger though obviously based on whale skeletons (except for the Eldin one which has a really peculiar head). The heads are somewhere in the order of 50-60 feet long. Begs the question how whales ended up in those locations.

The Wind Waker happened

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

That's the 100-meter one (actually I think the guide says 500 meters). That range is long enough that you basically don't have to account for arrow drop in any realistic scenario, especially not in the only fight you get to use it in. The Twilight Bow's range is comical.

For reference, the best range for a normal, general-use bow that you can get without amiibo is 40 meters--that's the Duplex Bow, Phrenic Bow, and all of the Rito bows. Most bows have a range of 20 meters. So 500 meters is already insane.

The Ancient Bow has very little arrow drop-off as well. I can hit (even shoot past) the Hateno Tower from my house.Not a straight shot, mind you, but not a whole lot of elevation.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

The game really wants you to poke your nose in there early though. In addition to the memory, there's two quests that require you to go there. Plus numerous NPCs encourage you to seek treasure in there and give tips on different ways to approach it safely. Everything about it, including how sprawling and non-linear it is, supports the idea that the player is being deliberately tempted to brave its dangers multiple times throughout their journey to be aptly rewarded.

Likewise, if you know the last memory is there, you can swing by and get it on your way to Ganon. I, too, wanted the castle to be my endgame/last stop but the Docks and some of the other outer entrances beg to be explored earlier. I don't think you're supposed to tear down the front gates and storm the castle early (hell yeah I did at the end) but nothing stops you from braving it while you're weak.

What I did like about the Castle was how much it makes use of all the little tricks you learned throughout the game and how the boss fights and shrines teach you for what to look for in order to find some of the more ahem, secret, treasures.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Just to see if the Devs planned for it:

I rode The Lord of the Mountain all the way to the Horse Fairy. Alas, no interesting dialogue. Though if you try to do the horse race near that stable, the guy who gives the race says something fun. I did find that the Lord didn't immediately run off as soon as I dismounted. It actually stood there for quite a bit and even ate an apple.

I have yet to find a 5* speed horse. Come to think of it, I've never found a 1* anything.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

weird Asian candy posted:

I am learning I am not exploring this game nor talking to people nearly as much as I should. Just looked up a youtube video on it, now I gotta go do it!

For a game that is truly open world and lets you go anywhere anytime, you miss a ton if you don't travel the roads. Most of the random NPC interaction occurs on the road and a lot of quests start by going down them. I avoided roads for the most part to begin with ("don't tell me where to go, DAD!") but I've found the game assumes most players will use them.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
One plot point that irked me:

Why wasn't the Master Sword rusted/broken when you found it? All the trailers, even the drat boxart has a broken Master Sword and when you find it, its in pristine condition. I'm not saying they had to go to the lengths they did in the LttP/WW/SS to "restore" the Master Sword but it would have been cool have that progression. It also begs the question: who fixed it? Zelda didn't because at the end of her cutscene, it was still broken.

Also, it wasn't glowing in the scene where Link dies (facing possessed Guardians no less) so I wonder if Link was actually using it correctly. Perhaps that's why it was damaged?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
What would Cryonis+ even look like? :gasp: 5 blocks at a time!?

To all the rain-haters, Cryonis+ would be awesome if it could be used on merely "wet" surfaces rather than actual bodies of water. "Oh its raining! Time to climb!"

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Spergatory posted:

So I loving love the way Hinoxes are designed. They're very 'big dumb giants in a kid's adventure story' in all the different ways you can interact with them. Such as:
  • They're always asleep when you find them, making it easy to sneak past them if you don't feel like fighting them.
  • If you make a noise that disturbs them, they'll do a little -lurch- motion and freeze for a second. If you freeze as well, they'll go right back to sleep.
  • If you do happen to wake one up, it's fairly easy to get behind them before they actually see you (as long as there is no health bar onscreen, they haven't actually spotted you yet).
  • If you stay behind them long enough without being seen, they eventually get tired of looking for you, figure you're gone, and go back to sleep.
  • You can steal stuff from their necklaces while they sleep. You can't climb their stomachs though, so you either need to paraglide onto them from above, or...
  • You know how they sleep with one hand splayed out, occasionally reaching up to scratch their bellies? And said hand is just big enough for Link to stand on? Well, there's a reason for that; you can totally catch a ride on that hand. If you position yourself right, you'll get plopped right onto the giant's belly without them even realizing it. There's a slight risk of falling off if you get the positioning wrong, but as long as you freeze right after you land, they won't wake up. Doing this makes it crazy easy to get stuff from a Hinox without engaging them. I got the ball, the club, and the bow from the Eventide Island Hinox using this method without even waking him up and legitimately felt like the Cool Smart Hero of a children's fable for a second.
This game is amazing.

Not to mention if you do have to fight them, they do precisely what a "giant" would do:
  • Try to stomp on you
  • Try to swat you
  • Pick things up to throw at you
  • Use a tree as a club
  • Sit on you
  • Are slow to react and relatively easy to outmaneuver
  • Have a giant (ha) weakspot
  • Act like giant babies if hit in said weakspot
  • Wise up after awhile if you keep going after said weakspot

I hadn't put the whole "giant from a children's fable" together but you're absolutely right and its awesome.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

It really is. In a lot of games you'll see something and go "hmm wonder if I can do that??" and try it and nope, kind of trains you to be boring with games and give up trying new things. In this loving game it works and works a lot better than you expect. It's amazing how many times i'm like "no loving way that worked holy poo poo"

That's pretty much the magic of the game: having a physics engine, and attention to detail, that feels real. Rarely do other games have happy accidents but BotW was seemingly built on them.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Eriic posted:

Guys, I've been playing around with BotW Object Map all morning and I need to share that the pedestal at Washa's Bluff is called BM_Relief. :golfclap: :nexus:

I also found it interesting that dragon pieces you shoot off all fall in pre-determined locations. There's some variance but they all have markers.

Oh and Eventide is called "Naked Island"

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Lanayru Promenade is also non-existent in the early builds. Zora domain underwent some changes as to where to put the reservoirs.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Does anybody know what the game uses to up the enemies/weapons? Since we don't exactly level up I'm curious what the indicators are. My guess would be either the number of shrines or quests completed. I like that it's gradual and I didn't really notice this until I started seeing silver bokoblins around and then they started appearing in places they weren't before. I'm noticing I'm finding more weapons with boost features too.

Alternatively there isn't actually any changes and I'm imagining things.

No, it's real. I think it's highly tied to how many divine beasts you've completed. After 4 of them, silver enemies are in about every pack of enemies and all the lynel's are silver. I've fought precisely one red and blue lynel: everything else has been silver because I beat the DBs and still had 60+ shrines to go.

Since Silver enemies drop precious gems at a high % (perhaps guaranteed), I started rolling in these things and had no problem with higher level armor upgrades that required them.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Trial of the Sword does look like a really extended Eventide, which is really cool. Outside of revealing the name of the 2nd DLC pack, not a whole lot else was shown. I must assume you'll control the Champions or they'll fight alongside you.

The Gold Lynel may be representative of a new "gold" class of enemies in hard mode.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Also, unlike Eventide, it's a shrine so none of your Champion abilities are brought in either. Urbosa's Fury makes Eventide a joke, unfortunately.

45 rooms of killing and puzzles sounds like the closest thing to a pure dungeon experience we'll get. You know the final room is going to be like 3 gold Lynels at once, right.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Actually, I think the early game will be about the same. Assuming the blue enemies carry equivalent weapons (spiked boko clubs, etc.), you're going to get better weapons to fight the higher HP enemies. The only real difference is that you'll get one-shotted more often. In terms of killing speed, though, I don't think that will change a whole lot.

As for Gold enemies, I'm not sure what they could drop that would make them any more worthwhile to kill than silver. Also, Guardians don't have "tiers" so unless they just ramped up the HP, I'm not sure how they could get a lot harder. If you can shield parry, you've won.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The lynels were tougher than the story bosses

Also did they say how long the Trials of the Sword will be? I know it's 45 rooms and I know I'll probably give up when the devs make you fight 3 Gold Lynels at once at some point in it

Yeah, that's what I keep thinking the final room would look like. Or Gold Lynel, Gold Hinox, Guardian Mk. III and Molduga all in the same room. The trick is to get them to fight each other. :getin:

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Welp. Master Mode is actually hella difficult but not in a good way. Started a new game and after talking to the Old Man, you fight a blue Bokoblin. No sweat right? I can flurry rush every attack but all I have are tree branches. The health regen kicks in after about 2 seconds of not striking a target and I realized very quickly that I will run out of weapon durability before I kill the thing and it will all be for naught because it will regen all the damage I did to it.

Basically, to get off the plateau I'm going to have stealth it because even if I can dodge everything, I have no damage output. The game didn't scale the weapons up so trying to kill blue enemies with Boko Clubs and Bows is going to be an exercise in patience/futility. I'm curious if the previously blue bokoblins on the plateau will be black. Or if the Stone Talus will be a Lynel or something. There's hard but this feels tediously hard.

It's probably not wise to make a judgement call from the first 5 minutes of a new game but you're up against a wall from the moment you start.

tl;dr, ALL enemies regen health now after a few seconds of not being hit, perhaps around 1% HP/sec.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The difficulty curve got inverted, that's all. The beginning will be the hardest part of the game because once you get equipment and proper weapons, you won't have to run from everything.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Trial of the Sword is really good. Haven't tried the final trial yet but there's something really satisfying having nothing but your wits going in.

Middle trial had some nice set-pieces and as soon as you get the hang of one, you get thrown into another. I tended to hoard stuff more than I probably should have. I beat the middle trial with a whole armory full of weapons, shields, and arrows. I think I had something like 120 arrows by the end.

The final "shrine room" in the trial is awesome. The glyph panorama of Hyrule is really a nice touch. I like how you keep ascending stairs to get to the shrine room itself which looks to have like 7-8 monks in it. I'll have to pay attention to see if it has something to do with the Sages from previous games.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I think the only thing I would legit complain about has been mentioned before: as you progress, the game becomes more straightforward. While on the plateau, you could kill enemies with just about anything and you could be supremely creative. Once enemies become damage sponges, all of the wacky/creative stuff gets replaced with basic hack n' slash.

All the outside-the-box thinking and "holy poo poo, that actually worked" pretty much goes away by endgame.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

...that every tower has a puzzle deal to get you to a height where you can climb it with one stamina bar. A lot of them I had just cheesed with a bigger stamina pool and the paraglider the first time around and didn't even realize there were "intended" solutions for them.

Yeah, I noticed that early on but after getting more stamina, it meant less and less. Since it is theoretically possible for a fresh-off-the-Plateau player to stumble upon any given tower, there had to be allowance for climbing with base stamina. Damned if I didn't exploit having extra stamina though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Are you guys talking about the one where you just count how many of each type of constellation there are on the big mural?

Yeah, I stared at that one for a good couple minutes before I figured it out.

The one I'm most embarrassed to admit being terrible at was the Twin Peaks' Shrine(s) memory game. After a few failed attempts, I thought I was cheesing it by taking a picture with my phone. Of course, I hadn't gone to Hateno yet so I didn't know that the Sheikah Slate gets a camera function. Obviously, that makes the memory game a lot easier. :3: