Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This must be the final form of the Zelda cycle. It has become too powerful and will consume us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii U version's out on the same day as well.

Phew

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just do like me and play Zelda on Wii U and buy the Switch once it has games

Doesn't need to be so upsetting

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They've been doing it since ocarina yes, but in that, MM, and WW they were ciphers of Japanese. Starting in Twilight Princess they switched to an English substitution alphabet and have continued doing that since.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

How many Zelda games have you 100% beaten ("New Game Pluses" do not count: you can say 200% if you've beaten a game and its New Game Plus and collected everything each time)?

I've 100% beaten A Link Between Worlds. That's it.

I just beat Snowpeak Ruin (Wii) and realized I'll never 100% most Zelda games. I'm not collecting all these drat Poes or bugs.

As for every other Zelda I've played and beaten, I never, ever get all the heart pieces or upgrades. Except ALBW.

All of them, OP

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

Minish Cap's God awful statue collecting mechanic is way worse than the Kinstone fusion sidequest. But both suck.

The Oracle games have that insane ring collection spanning four (?) complete playthroughs.

You people... did these things???

Alright you got me... I didn't do the Oracle rings

Everything else yes I've done it once

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No one should subject themselves to that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's two awful parts to it. For one thing the majority of rings are random drops so you'd have to grind gasha nuts and Maple encounters to get them. The other part is that you get certain rings that are only available in linked games but are also exclusive to one game, which means you have to play through each game twice linking them in both orders. It's extremely stupid and totally not worth it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It seems apparent from the interviews they gave last year that the creators behind the series view the identities of Link and Zelda (gender, origin, status) as way more essential to the characters than many fans do. I don't think they'd ever gender swap them and it seems like if the ever made a game starring Zelda they'd want it to be something themed around what they see as her essential characteristics rather than just slotting her into Link's role.

I think it's pretty silly but that seems to be how they think about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Febreeze posted:

I like what this dude is trying to do but I wish he'd spend more time talking about the dungeons on their own merits instead of obviously just pinning for Zelda 1. Zelda 1 dungeons aren't going to happen again. BotW will have a Zelda 1 overworld but I doubt we'll ever get the mythical puzzle dungeon he's looking for again. He also seems way too in love with "water level/direction" as a dungeon mechanic.

While I don't think the lens by which he's analyzing the dungeons is very good, (though I also think the videos have gotten better since the awful Windwaker one) he is explicitly not pining for Zelda 1. Zelda 1's dungeons are so primitive that he didn't even bother doing a video on them. If he's pining for any one game in particular it would be LttP.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Feedbacker posted:

What makes the 3DS version of Majora's Mask non-definitive?

Unlike OoT 3D not all the changes they made for MM are objectively for the better. A lot are though so it's still a great version of the game to play.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm trying to figure out how this is any different from stuff like Poe souls or Agitha's bugs.

and thus, what the problem is supposed to be.

It's just that 900 is a lot

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well you said it was tedious, so how would you make it not tedious? In the 3DS version you literally just press a button to put the boots on and off and I don't see how that's tedious at all.

I feel like I'm getting messed with but

He was talking about the whole dungeon not just the boots

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

I guess WW Link was in PH and ST but I haven't played them yet.

Only PH actually. ST takes place 100 years later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Wii U gamepad has a mic, and I assume they do the same thing that emulators do where you can press a button to "close" the DS

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

don't tell me what to do :colbert:

I can't watch it now, so I was hoping for an explanation but I'll watch it (much) later when I can

The video is called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Mr Aonuma takes on a Guardian

its a joke

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is the natural consequence of people wanting Nintendo to adopt more modern practices.

You reap what you sow

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Dave posted:

Extra content seems like a pretty good consequence.

It's the "buy it all or nothing" that bothers me. I'm all for new content, but paying 20 dollars for two DLC packs, when only one of them interests me doesn't sound like a good deal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

At this point I'm totally baffled about what the complaints over Zelda DLC even ARE

It kinda sucks that you can't buy them separately since I'm only interested in the second pack.

I think that's a pretty reasonable complaint.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I definitely get this complaint but $20 for an expansion pack feels pretty worth it, and the rest is just side stuff. Like when I bought Witcher 3's DLC all together, I definitely didn't are about the stupid new outfits and never interacted with them, but I literally forget that they were part of what I paid for in comparison to what I got. If the new dungeons and map features and stuff are a wet fart, then we can say it's overpriced, but until then, it feels like an expansion pack that could be adequately price with a bunch of "But wait! You also get..." cosmetic poo poo that nobody cares about.

Yeah if the second pack is sufficiently meaty I'll probably have no problem paying $20 when it comes out and fooling around a bit with the other stuff as well. I just think it's silly to only sell 'em as a bundle and that is different than what they've done in the past.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yes you have to go back to Ravio's house and re rent the bow. It doesn't take that long, certainly not as long as redoing the dungeon over and over.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Get hype for exaggerated-size breasts

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

Sounds like it's just referring to this:

...which is honestly a tamer design than the N64 fairies.

I figured, I just thought it was funny

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

This is insane, 3D World was one of the best Mario games in years. Beating Champion's Road was one of the best Mario moments ever. I don't dislike the NSMB games but they kind of felt like they were phoning it in after a point.

Well I mean NSMBU is by far the best and least phoned in. It stands up with the older 2D Marios for sure.

3D world is still better

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Now would be a good time for people who wants to have a pure spoiler free experience TO GET THE gently caress OFF THE INTERNET because poo poo's gonna be hitting hard and fast pretty soon
Nine goddamn days

Shut it down. SHUT IT ALL DOWN

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

Holla if you're playing the Wii U version in a little over a week.

:hfive:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Conversely, Zelda 1 had challenging and engaging dungeons you actually explored, and the entire world feels like a fight against evil baddies.

source: I just beat it yesterday :smug:

Zelda 1 doesn't even have puzzles

Its dungeons are not good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hello thread I'd just like to share that the ending of the Kass quest line is the best thing in this loving amazing game and almost made me cry last night while tired from being up way too late.

It's also somewhat easy to miss if you're not looking for it so if you're at the end and haven't seen it please go track it down.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is his quest line to just do all the shrine quests he starts? Just to make sure I don't miss it

That's the first step yeah. The key missable part is that you need to go read his diary in the Ridgelands after you've done all the shrine quests. That's what triggers him to return to Rito village so you can see the ending. You may also need to do all the Rito village quests first.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Found a new type of Korok puzzle (for me, at least); if you see a shallow hole by a slope, chances are there is a boulder at the peak begging to be pushed down the hill into that hole.

The most obscure one I found is that any line of 3 trees you're supposed to remove fruit so that all 3 trees match. I'd been seeing them all game but only figured it out at the very end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

also i still havent another second great fairy besides the one in kakariko. are there any others on the east/north/south parts of the map because i have everything but the west explored

hint as to cardinal direction from plateau for another would be great

The northeastern region has one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To weigh in on the "what should I sell" issue, I'm almost at the end of the game and have never had a problem with money. Here's what I sold:

Ore: tons of amber and opals. They are ridiculously plentiful so just sell them in gigantic chunks. The others are all not that uncommon either. Sell them in smaller chunks but seriously don't be afraid to sell them if you need money. I am not upgrading absolutely everything but I've still needed a fair amount of the more precious ore and have never had a problem with selling them

Monster parts: these are so plentiful that you can make a lot of money and still have enough left over for upgrades and the other slightly secret use for them. Sell moblin fangs and lizalfos horns/talons in particular to make the most money out of plentiful things.

Those are the only two things I ever sold and I was able to easily make all the money I ever needed. You shouldn't need to grind for money at least.

Now the real pain is all the stuff it turns out you need for upgrades that shouldn't be rare but is hard to find. I'm having to track down 15 courser bee honey now and wish I hadn't used them for cooking.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

If you get the OOT armor you need a poo poo ton of amber to upgrade it, so like I said, it depends how you play the game :shrug:

Monster parts are good money early game, but then you want to trade them for Mon late game so you can get cool masks and the dark link set.

That's the secret use I was referencing, you get so many parts that it's no problem to sell tons for cash and still have tons left for all the Mon you need.

Maan I WISH I got the OOT armor though, I've tapped my Link amiibo every day and only got one piece of the twilight set which im not bothering upgrading cause what's the point without the whole outfit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Motto posted:

Is there any downside to mining deposits with bombs? Carried a hammer for a while but used it up in a shrine and never replaced it.

If you're on a mountain it can blow them off cliffs and make them impossible or annoying to collect. You don't have to use a hammer to mine though, any weapon will do. Big ones are better to break them in one hit obviously.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zoran posted:

This game must loving hate me, because any time I get near any of the three dragons (basically, when their musical cue would start), I instantly get a blood moon and they disappear.

This is completely reproducible—happens with all the dragons, wherever they spawn, at whatever time of day.

That is a really bizarre bug

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I've played this game for over 50 hours but only have like, 50 shrines. I have no idea how so many of you managed to 100% everything other than the Koroks already.

The ancient golf minigame is a greater abomination than Ganon.

I've played it for more than 50 hours :ninja:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macintosh HD posted:

If they don't make a Kass amiibo I'm going to be really sad.

I would buy that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So doing this Zora side-quest... did I just enable a pedophile?

Yeah it's messed up that she'd prey on a young guy like that

E: dammit Bruceski

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can disable the beast abilities at will. I have the two you mentioned turned off until I need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FiftySeven posted:

... I could have done with knowing this earlier.

It took me far too long to realize it too, would've been nice if the game told you