Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

not the memories though, those are prerendered (but both link and zelda appear in them already so it doesn't matter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

does that mean minish cap is really bad or is this more of a "spirit tracks is good, actually"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i kinda agree, it has such a fun story and premise (and excellent music) that i really want to like it! but as of yet i've been unable to ever finish it

i think the main problem is that the rail travel is just so exhausting that every other little problem with the game becomes magnified tenfold when i'm already in a sour mood when i get to the destinations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DanielCross posted:

Counterpoint: The Spirit Tracks overworld theme is one of the best in the series, especially combined with the rhythmic chugging of the train's engine, and I could ride around for ages just listening to it.
but the game doesn't let you do that! instead the world is populated with instant game over trains that you'll be pulling your hair out avoiding, and then there's the missions where you have passengers and need to obey traffic laws on top of that (and if you fail those you don't even get to retry instantly, you have to go all the way back yourself! while still avoiding those drat trains!!)

i get why they did it like this, it could've been dreadfully boring if there was *nothing* to do during travel but the evil trains really just did not work out very well as a fix for the issue. it feels like a system that could live up to its fun potential with just a little bit of tweaking, honestly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's not a glitch, they even put it in the remake!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah same. the stealth in them is like super casual too, it's mostly about planning your route well and sprinting through instead of waiting for hours for patrol routes like some stealth minigames can degenerate to

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the "wow" moment in botw is the entire game actually

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sadly i think a large part of the reason botw 2 is taking so long is simply the pandemic which hit at what would've most likely been a very critical point in its development.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sounds like y'all have a problem of not automatically seeking out every possible piece of unique text in a video game to see what it says like me, a smart person

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's my absolute favourite

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

The only aspect of Link's Awakening Switch I didn't like was Dampe's dungeon garbage, building your own Zelda dungeon sounds like a cool concept but this isn't Mario Maker, it's extremely basic and very tedious.
it pretends to be a "dungeon designer" but it's actually more of a puzzle to design a level that meets the requirements set and to make it as easy as possible to complete for yourself at the same time. i kinda liked it for that. after you're done with the designed challenges the free designing mode is definitely completely pointless though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not even close.

The correct answer is Megaman Legends 2.
legends 2 isn't even better than 1!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I much preferred 2 myself, least of all because the controls are much better. Legit curous, what's not to like compared to MML1?
the world design and pacing is markedly worse. the loss of one interconnected explorable environment was not worth the addition of more varied places to visit. running around the island and the subgates, finding little stories with the people in town and little nooks and crannies underground is what makes legends so good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i honestly cannot believe preferring the original link's awakening over the remake.

the original is almost literally unplayable to me with how you need to open your menu 10 times per minute for item-swapping to do pretty much anything, and the constant repeated text boxes (wow! this looks incredibly heavy! you won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands!) slowing everything to a crawl even harder. they would've needed to screw up the remake incredibly hard to make it worse than that, and they thankfully didn't.

this is also why i'm waiting for remakes of the oracle games to happen like yesterday, please. i love them but i can't stand playing them anymore lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

treating them as definitive experiences is an act of cultural vandalism.
ok lmao

love to have the Intended Artistic Experience of stopping play for ten seconds because i brushed past a rock

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

You should love it, and if you can't that's a you problem. Why are video games the only art form where, if it makes you feel un-good for even a moment, it's an objective flaw?
i don't care if the flaw is objective, i care that i'm being annoyed in a game that i do not play to be annoyed by

in the first place, who are you to prescribe what the proper way to enjoy something is

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MokBa posted:

Is it truly the experience of playing Link’s Awakening if you aren’t constantly reading the same unskippable pop-up messages throughout the game? Surely the Switch version is blasphemy.
this is literally where this argument started lmao

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

The cultural vandalism is when the original art is memory-holed. Playing derivative works to the exclusion of the original is just depriving yourself - except insofar as Gameing culture makes the pursuit of "technical improvement" mainstream at the expense of source material.
luckily the world is full of people like you who never shut up about the originals whenever someone brings up the remake of anything, so this is not an issue

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Namnesor posted:

There's only one thing worth taking away from these last few pages and it's that Tal Tal Heights is one of the best songs in the entire Zelda franchise and the Switch remake of Link's Awakening gave us three versions which makes it the best version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqFBUxXmM4
:rock:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

My point indeed is that our current gamer culture and business models actively bury and erase works of art that do not maximize consumer satisfaction and corporate profit. Buggy games are "fixed" and games based on older technology are "improved" or replaced, often with no legal recourse for accessing the original works. This happens because gamer taste is so poor and hostile to discomfort that gamers demand remakes and remasters and patches for everything, which companies are happy to provide at a premium price.
no it doesn't. this happens because capitalism.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Discouraged? More like actively encouraged so your shields actually take durability damage from something instead of just the first six shields you pick up sitting in your inventory forever

Like seriously i never go through my shields at any reasonable pace, it's like the thing with your weapon inventory always being full after the midgame but ten time worse. The only thing that ever destroys them is failed guardian parries, and once you get hylian shield it can take like 40 of those before breaking so there goes that lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

You can eventually overpower Master Mode too. Trick is to avoid combat, progress by puzzles, keep the enemies from levelling up as long as possible.
i actually appreciate master mode for this because my normal impulse in a game like this is to kill every single living creature that crosses the camera's view, and having incentives to actually pick your battles is refreshing

though i would say it's much less the scaling (beating the divine beasts gives you like 200x more exp than anything else anyway) and more how most enemies do not carry weapons that are good enough to beat them and their two buddies too unlike in normal mode. you tend to leave encounters with less stuff instead of more if you just slaughter everything indiscriminately.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The announcement trailer having both of them exploring the cave together certainly gives me hope that this will be the case
the very next trailer showing zelda falling into a hole in the same cave and reaching for link does not fill me with confidence, however

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

as fast as the mario 64 and ocarina of time ones that have not been DMCA'd??

i wish people would have more to say when they see a cool fan project than "lmao lawyers are on their way"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm still grumpy the BOTW bunny hood has a useless climbing-related power when it OBVIOUSLY should have been a speed-up item.

(And why no flameproof helmet when you can get freezeproof and shockproof ones while I'm at it?)
no this is cool actually because it's not just a bunny hood, it's ravio's hood and the buff to sideways climbing speed references the wall-merging mechanic from LBW letting you scale walls sideways!

the buff should be a bit better though. lemme really zoom on those walls

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

sincerely hoping the amiibo still give the past games' outfits as well. Yes the parasail design is neat, but you know whats neater? Fierce Deity Armor.
what would be even cooler is if you can just get stuff in the game without paying for a figure or other NFC thingamajig first!!

i'm all for amiibo bonuses being super minor like this

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

Triforce heroes would have been great with voice chat.
no it would not have been lmao

i have no idea why everyone really wants the ability to be yelled at by 13-year olds online

the stickers communication system in triforce heroes is literally the perfect amount of interaction i want to have with strangers online. if you're playing with friends just get on a call

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sigher posted:

Do a lot of people play coop games with strangers? The only time that's acceptable is in an arcade on House of the Dead.
triforce heroes is literally built around that idea so sure as hell i played it with strangers, the whole way through. i wouldn't do it with something that is clearly expecting regular communication between players and communal strategies.

TFH actually wants your team to have only a tenuous mutual understanding of what you're trying to accomplish, it adds to the multiplayer chaos of it all and the levels are so constrained that it's never actually a problem if one player is slow on the uptake, there's generally only one thing you can do in front of you and the other players pantomiming and spamming the emotes to try to explain how to solve the puzzle was always a highlight lol. whenever the last player finally got it the entire team would explode in pom-pom emotes

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i'm pretty sure there are no shrines. none have been seen or even glimpsed in the trailers. i've gotten the impression that shrine-like puzzle challenges will mostly be found on the floating islands instead

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok, but why are you acting like exploring a weird spiral formation full of enemies and reaching its centre, or stumbling on a whole deserted island, is somehow made not exciting by there being a shrine at the end of it?

you might just as well say everything rewards you with heart pieces or money in the old zelda games, which it does, but nobody cares because the things you do to get them and the locations they're in are always different and new and cool. why is it suddenly bad in breath of the wild?

i really don't understand this "everything is shrines lol" thing people have

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this is another reason why emulator is so good for this game because you can easily just save edit to give yourself the items you want instead of going through the ridiculous amiibo grind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah that's the thing, they awakened together with link and none of them have done anything devastating yet but nobody wants to wait for that to happen