Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't have it on Wii U but DS VC games let you choose between almost any viewing combination on the TV that you can think of.

Yeah, I actually just finished playing through PH for the first time, and I think that the fact that the gamepad screen is so much larger than the DS helped a ton. I very rarely had the severe control disasters that people mention here all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

You know you don't have to play the video game if you don't like it, right?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Honestly, the part that has aged the worst about older Zeldas (OOT is really guilty of this) is the amount of block pushing.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I lament that I will never master A Link Between Worlds for reasons.

What are the better Zelda clones out there?

I really liked Okami back in the day in spite of the low difficulty, unskippable cutscenes, dreadful sidekick, and three Orochi fights. The game felt like an evolution of the Zelda formula: instead of one hub town there's multiple towns giving the world a sense of scope. You don't just have the one weapon, you can customise and switch it out or use it's alternate form. You kill the apparent final boss and the game just keeps going, and you travel to a whole new land. The plot doesn't rely on the same old Mcguffin Collectathon and even has legitimate twists, where every non-Majora Zelda game would just be predictable. Also you spend the entire game as a wolf that learns new tricks while Twilight Princess struggled to explain why the Wolf-form even belongs in the game.

The thing is, the plot twists aren't really twists if you knew anything about classic Japanese mythology. :v: However, it is still a really great game and everybody ought to play it if they haven't already. The HD versions are stunning.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My dream "New Game Plus" style feature would have been if in Wind Waker they totally rearranged the grid so all the islands were in different spots.

Although I guess some major plot ones would stay locked in place, but still.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Norns posted:

Can this loving meme just die?

Memes are often harder on the woman than the man.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Not to change the subject (well, kind of), I climbed Akkala Tower just now and I feel like I didn't do it the "intended" way and cheesed it hard, but I'm not sure what else I should've done. Did other people get stuck here as well?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I just solved the maze in Akkala and felt strong for doing it! :)

I then took the floor opening and promptly died. :stonk:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I really recommend following the main quest until you get the final rune.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I did all the shrines but had to buy the rubber helmet in tarry town. Is it in a hidden chest that I missed somewhere?

Side quest at the Jungle Stable (Faron?)

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Is there a guide/ wiki out there that does Hint/ Bigger Hint/ Solution as a formula? That would be perfect for all the puzzles in this game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I wish the two optional areas I've been combing through (Hebra and Gerudo Highlands) didn't have so many combat trials for shrines. :smith:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have the 7 Scimitar, but I'm afraid of it breaking. I know that I can have Daruk's weapon rebuilt if it breaks (I found out unfortunately) but is there any way to get the scimitar or trident back if they break?

You can remake any weapon in the respective region, I'm 98% sure.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Finally beat all the sword trials!

They definitely got easier with each passing difficulty. Finding ancient arrows really trivialized those Lynel floors. I'm surprised the game considers the guardian stalkers to be the real "endgame enemy" during the trials. Their patterns are much more prone to abuse than the Lynels.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I like the ones near the Yiga hideout where you just give them ALL the bananas.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I was kind of bummed out that the Zora Tunic that lets you climb waterfalls was the only "new" ability you get through the story. I would have liked to see more equipment that adds extra movement options, like the Pegasus Boots mentioned above.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Also, don't be afraid to abuse bullet time. You should have plenty of arrows by the time you hit the Lizalfos room to cheese at least 2 of the enemies.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I am slowly resigning myself to the fact that I will be asking more questions in this thread than I initially expected. Like, a lot more.

So in the Ceremonial Song shrine quest, what bridge did the Zora drop the fake trident off of? He didn’t specify when I talked to him.

Also which divine beast is best to head to after Vah Ruta? The one near the Ritos, right? In the northwest?

EDIT: gently caress it, might as well ask this too as long as I’m in here pissing everyone off. Is there a great fairy in Lanayru Province?

In response to your first question, remember that the trident is made of metal.

And please, stop asking things and go explore. You can warp from shrine to shrine so backtracking takes 5 minutes at the most.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Wank posted:

Finally have 115 shrines done. I can’t believe after who knows how many hours I never went anywhere near the Tingle islands. The last 5 shrines are shrine quests I have not done and.. I have no idea where they are. Oh well, time to revisit every town and stable. I might try finishing all the side quests.

They're honestly pretty well spread out. Check out an area that looks like it should have one.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Going through Central Hyrule on horseback and dodging lasers left and right with way too few hearts was one of the more thrilling gaming experiences I've ever had.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

I decided at one point to find all the chests in the Gerudo Highlands just as something to do and my inventory got so full I gave up on opening them all and just started marking the map so I could come back for them later. If you need a golden bow there are about 40 of them up there lol.

e:
I'm finally doing the sword trials, first one wasn't too bad since I'd already done it once on another playthrough and knew how to get through all the floors but this is my first look at the middle trial. I've alternated between dying because of a dumb panic mistake and feeling like a badass like when I killed the Hinox in the dark while taking no damage :black101:

If you keep getting stuck on the trials (though if you did #1 it really should be smooth sailing), remember to set your sensor to treasure chests, throw rusty weapons into Octoroks, and eat every drat tree.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It... is? What's so special?

Because the critical path requires zero stealth because those moblin/ barrel hallways actually suck poo poo

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Skulk Hogan posted:

How many shrines do you get to before hunting them down is a pain? Im up to 80

Honestly, you'll get VERY close if you just identify any blank spots on the map. They seem to be spread out fairly evenly. I somehow got 119/120 just by doing that.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I didn't have too many problems from what I remember, and I had to make do with the WiiMotion Plus dongle. I think smaller movements helped.

That said, I am glad that the motion sensing era has died down in favor of mostly gyro controls. As great as, say, the Metroid Prime trilogy was with pointer controls, I'm sure that era just totally disenfranchised a number of disabled Nintendo fans, which sucks!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Golux posted:

I'm not saying this is canon or intended, but I realized that there's a more logical way to split the timeline by considering that Zelda doesn't send Link back to his last appearance in the past; she instead sends him back to before he first met her. In that light, the three timelines are:

1: The timeline Link came to as an adult and defeated Ganon, but then was sent away from by Zelda

2: The timeline Link was sent back to by Zelda, where Ganondorf was stopped before he could take power, and then Link went off looking for Navi

and 3: The timeline Link originally came from, where he had gone to the future and dipped back into a few times, but did not return after completing the dungeon Under the Well and one side of the Spirit Temple, because after he defeated Ganon in the future, Zelda sent him back to 2 instead. In this timeline, Ganondorf was already in the sacred realm messing stuff up, so presumably he would come out and have nothing to oppose him. The only flaw this timeline has compared to the official hero's defeat timeline is that Ganondorf didn't become Ganon, but I feel like that's at least as easy to excuse as some of the other variances.

If it helps, this has always been my :okpos: theory as well. You aren't alone!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, I feel like an HD/ 1080P/ 60FPS FZero is enough of a sell to pursue it. Shame that nobody really cares about the franchise though.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Dave posted:

drat y'all are cranky today. I think it looks pretty impressive for one person recreating the game (from scratch?). This guy has posted a lot of stuff in the past but going paywall seems like an odd way to get it killed fast.

The only thing that gets me is the camera seems really janky. That's also not a trailer it's a tech demo of the lighting so yeah it's boring.

It's a cool tech demo, but the fact that the trailers don't show anything remotely interactive beyond just slowly walking around 2 locations raises SO many red flags in addition to the Patreon wall.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TP has the best 3D dungeoning, Wind Waker has the best field exploration. 2 very different flavors of Zelda and I go back and forth on which one I prefer.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

Counterpoint: WW's ReDeads are scarier by far than OoT's.

Eh, only because you can't cheese them with the Sun Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

MokBa posted:

OoT was my first Zelda game and really my first puzzle oriented action/adventure game at all. I had to have a friend tell me to jump onto the spider web in the Great Deku Tree because I couldn’t figure that out despite the game spelling it out. I ended up buying a strategy guide that I mostly avoided using, but somehow I was missing a page related to the Water Temple, specifically the part where there’s that platform that raises and you get a key underneath it. So I was extremely stuck on the Water Temple for a long time. Poor child me just was not good at this game.

My Deku Tree solution was to just hold a lit stick and crouch. It burned the web just the same! I had a Versus Books guide eventually which I remember just being a delight to read on top of being very thorough.

(I am glad we've moved away from torch and sliding block puzzles in the more recent Zeldas)