Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is something I've always wondered of the Skull Kid bit, IIRC the first time you go through you only have sound to guide you, second time it's at night and you can see the light of SK's lantern as well as the music. Whose backwards decision was it to make the second time easier instead of more difficult?

I think the day-night cycle in the game has more to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Midna is featured in an amiibo. Fi is not. QED.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Judging from all these gameplay videos, I think it's safe to assume BotW will be the best Zelda. Yes, even better than Wind Waker.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Nothing.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
If there's one thing I miss in Skyward Sword, it is the quick travel options from Twilight Princess or ALBW. Where in SS you have to get to the drat statue, fly that bird and then jump to one spot, in TP you only had to call Midna to warp your androgynous hind to your destination.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I wish Nintendo releases a playthrough video of the game, I don't want to wait until I get to play it. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

TFRazorsaw posted:

wasn't a lot of her stuff inaccurate?

She was the primary source of the girl Link rumours.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Jesus, you guys just won't let go of girl Link.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Can't we just say that despite Link looking like a male, he she identifies herself as female?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Some interesting snippet from an interview.

quote:

Realistic Link came back four years after Wind Waker in Twilight Princess, which was released on GameCube and Wii. The pendulum returned again to the realistic direction, but what kind of circumstances resulted in it?

Takizawa: To tell you the truth, we had begun the initial steps towards creating Wind Waker 2 around that time. However, demand for a more Ocarina-like game was growing by the day. We did our very best with Wind Waker, and put everything we had into it…

Takizawa: However, Wind Waker 2 would have taken place in a more land-based setting, rather than on the sea, so that we could have Link could gallop across the land on a horse. But Link’s proportions in Wind Waker weren’t very well suited for riding on horseback, he was too short, and an adult version of Toon Link did not seem appropriate either. So, while we were stuck on those problems, we became aware of the greater demand for a more realistic, taller Link. High-budget live-action fantasy movies were also huge at the time, so with all things considered, we decided to have at it. I was on board with the project as art director, and started off by bringing [Yusuke] Nakano on to do the design for Link.

So the project began with Mr. Nakano’s Link as the basis?

Takizawa: He had joined after the graphics testing process, when we were trying to figure out the game’s “product-level visual identity”. I think that was the first time we had ever brought him on during that part of development.

Nakano: Yes. That was the first time for an internally developed Zelda game.

Ergo, Breath of the Wild is Twilight Princess 2.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
A point worth considering from Supermetaldave64 about that gameplay video with Bill Trinen and co that was shown last week. The reason why the framerate looked choppy on that video might have more to do with the actual youtube video recorded at 24 fps rather than the game stuttering under it's weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOi3UG6yNgI&t=520s

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Cleretic posted:

Not likely. The framerate's reliably better when the game is, obviously and logically, rendering less.

However, that doesn't mean much given the game's still being worked on. The recent video could easily have been just in a less optimized area (consider that many comparisons are being made to the E3 demo, which was probably a tightly-controlled area they sharpened the hell up), and that optimization is often going to be focused on parts of the game that you will not see. Volition have said, in videos on the original Saints Row, that it wasn't until very close to the code freeze that they got a framerate that wasn't rear end, because the work to make that happen is often very late in the development cycle.

Personally, I didn't even notice until people started bitching, and even then my interpretation can best be summed up as 'I guess?'.

Well, yeah. But if we're taking SMD64's account - and he has played the demo at E3 - then the talk about the game running mostly below 30 fps is based on a failure on Nintendo's part of not taking account of video framerate syncing or whatever you want to call it.

The bottom line though is that it'll probably run in 30 fps most of the time, save for some crowded moments. But we'll have to wait until 2017. Maybe.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Suspicious Dish posted:

It is pretty regular for games to run at 12fps until the last few months of the dev cycle during optimization.

Except the E3 demos didn't run at 12 fps.

Besides, aren't they currently doing localisation work at the moment?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

s.i.r.e. posted:

You mean the same YouTube video with the 60fps camera footage overlayed on top of the choppy footage?

I'm no video expert, but 60fps and 30fps video feeds tend to mix relatively well. 24fps not so much.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

s.i.r.e. posted:

24fps is 24fps no matter what, and mixing two different frame rates in the same video isn't going to effect one or the other. The game was just running poorly, rewatching the video of the game it actually looks less than 24fps as well.

Here's the thing though: While the actual Zelda gameplay video Nintendo uploaded is a 60 fps video, you can see in segments with Bill and his friend that it's shot in 24 fps. Hence the suspicion that they dumped the framerate of the recorded game footage that ran in 30 fps to 24 frames to make it gel with the filmed segments at the expense of making the game looking particularly "framey". So it's not a question of 24 fps shown in 60 fps, it's about 30 fps video shown in 24 fps.

To underline further: 24 fps is fine for shots with motion blur (ie. movies), it's not fine for video games that do not have motion blur naturally. Without motion blur, the "frameyness" would be pretty obvious, because there's nothing to blend the frames together. (As an example, see this video with motion blur used on a 20 fps video.)

To summarize: Nintendo needs better video editors. The game looked good, though.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I think the best they could do is not have music playing, just have the ambient sound of nature playing in the background.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Bloodly posted:

Crickets chirping at night.

Nature is often LOUD.

And that's the way I like it. :c00lbert:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Lord_Arse/status/816663060224024576

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'll be waiting for people's conjectures how this new Zelda fits in the timeline after that new trailer.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Box arts. Spot the differences.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/819773815823601667

This will be me when I'm playing the Zelda.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
You can already play as Zelda.

In Hyrule Warriors.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Eurogamer sat down and talked a bit about the new Zelda with Aonuma. Amongst the development talk is a comment that a playable Linkle might be a possibility in the future.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
It was reported that you can choose the language in the newest Zelda, but can you do it with Japanese audio and English subtitles? Nope. It's all or nothing.

Nintendo posted:

“In the case of Nintendo Switch, if you change the language of the system, you can change the game to Japanese, but that will change everything to Japanese. Unfortunately, it is not possible to play with English text, for example, and Japanese voices.”

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Dystify/status/822882992767070209

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/823924607686242305
Zelda sale for Europe!! Also includes DLC for Hyrule Warriors!!!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd0gq5EjDXM

New footage of the Breath of the Wild confirms that it runs at 60 fps, but only at 720p resolution.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/ZeldaOfficialJP/status/831311550853951488

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/831488352910209026

Expansion pass for... BoTW expansion packs?!?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I like how Nintendo is taking it for granted that people will eat up all that poo poo, like a difficulty mode behind a purchasable DLC.

Which is pretty likely.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Bill Trinen talked about why Zelda is getting DLC in some podcast.

quote:

“It was tough, because we actually had a lot of debate in terms of do we announce it, how do we announce it. I think one of the things that’s unique about the way Nintendo develops games is when we’re working on a game, and certainly just knowing the history of Nintendo games, you guys know that it’s essentially we use every last minute to make the game as good as we possibly can, and really what that means is that the dev team was working on the main game, finished the main game, and as they’re starting to get to the very end and wrap it up, really they said, ‘You know we’ve made this massive world of Hyrule, we’ve spent a long time building it. It would be a waste to just make one game and have that be it.’ We want people to be able to enjoy exploring this world, and so they started thinking about, ‘Well, if we were going to do DLC, what would we do, how would we do it?’ And you can see that in the fact that it’s not… the DLC is not launching the day after the game or the week after. It’s coming out several months later in the form of the first pack and then several months after that in the form of the second pack. And that’s because the content is in development.

And so I think from my perspective, obviously if we were able to share more details, that would have been easier, but I think if you look to the example of something like a Mario Kart-type of a DLC approach, really what the goal is is let’s give people the option to purchase it when they’re at the store buying the game and give them something to look forward to, and kind of let them know there’s more to come in this world. And if you’re a Zelda fan buying Nintendo Switch at launch and really you’re buying it for Zelda, I mean how happy are you to know that hey, I’m going to be able to play more Zelda in this world again later this year.”

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Suspicious Dish posted:

is the dlc coming to wii u btw

Yes.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

JustJeff88 posted:

What I can't bloody stand are people complaining about people complaining about people complaining. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfzLyPqko8w

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Hedrigall posted:

Same score they gave to Skyward Sword though...

Not to mention Ocarina of Time. It's that old of a magazine.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

a.lo posted:

That's old. Probably the oldest magazine even.

Famitsu is a decade older.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
You probably have to take in account the context of the time Skyward Sword was released. Compared to the games released back then, it was something truly revolutionary.

Maybe. I don't remember.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

"It's a Nintendo, right? It ought to work. :v:"

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Another review out, and it's from German gaming rag GamePro.

Some website posted:

The latest of the Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild reviews comes in from a German outlet, GamePro which awarded the game a whopping 94/100 which is amazing considering the same outlet gave The Witcher 3 a 92/100.

This Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review score makes it the 2nd highest rated game from GamePro with the #1 title being Grand Theft Auto IV.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
$60 for a game that lasts less than an hour?!? Dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Link is a cyborg from the future.