Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I've been playing this since Tuesday. I'm still not great with the motion control stuff, and I'm still getting used to dodging. I just spent the last three hours getting extremely lost after finishing Vah Ruta, and wound up getting caught in a thunderstorm and losing my metal equipment before I finally found the Ridgeland Tower and somehow managed to activate it.

It's fun, but the wide-openess is sort of hard to get used to (I've never really played open-world games before).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I beat Vah Medoh. I had to burn through my supply of elemental arrows during the boss fight because I wasted all my normal ones trying to hit the corruption eyeball near the gondola only to discover that I wasn’t hitting it because I was using a dinky Bokoblin bow.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I find myself torn between doing the Gerudo beast or the Goron beast. They're all that's left; what's the thread recommendation?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

maltesh posted:

I'm currently in the end game phase of my second playthrough, and I did the Divine beasts in descending order of how useful I considered the champion abilities this time. As such, I went.

Vah Medoh (Rito)
Vah Nabooris (Gerudo)
Vah Ruta (Zora)
Vah Rudania (Goron)

Might swap the last two on a third playthrough. Still likely to keep the Goron ability off most of the time.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite comprehending what you're telling me. Are you suggesting I save the Goron beast for last?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

The brothers in the Rock Roast shrine quest were really charming.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

On a scale of nightmarish to easy, how bad is the stealth section leading to Vah Rudania? Stealth in video games usually gives me trouble.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

There's a stealth section leading up to Vah Rudania? I guess it's been a while, but I don't remember that at all.

The guide I've been using says there's a segment where you have to lead Yunobo past Guardian Skywatchers.

e: Looks like it won't be that bad.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Kass, dude, you're awesome, but some of these shrine quests are horseshit.

What's the best way to trigger a Blood Moon?

e: Nevermind, one's happening right now

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 10, 2019

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I beat Ganon!

I wish there was more plot stuff between the final Beast and raiding Hyrule Castle; I basically freed Naboris and then went straight to the end.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I beat the game, decided to play something else to prevent burnout on this, and not even two hours into the other game I found myself turning it off and coming back to BotW.

Now that I have a general sense of where things are (as opposed to my first run) I’m having even more fun in the early game running around unlocking shrines and towers before heading to do the plot. My two goals are to find the photo memories in order and get the Master Sword at most two Beasts in.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

The real bad thing about this game is that I can’t name a horse Neighsayer or Equine Mom

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I think I've figured out a trick for those Korok puzzles where you have to throw a rock into a ring of stones in some water: if you make a Cyrosis pillar between you and the ring, you can toss the rock on it and it will slide off into the puzzle. I've done this for two seeds so far, I'll see if it works for more.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Does anyone have any tricks for how to aim things you're trying to launch with stasis? I'm trying to do the Mirro Shaz shrine's second puzzle. Every time I get the ball in the right starting position, I'll stasis it and start hitting, and the arrow will appear 45 degrees off center nearly every time. I only got it done in my first playthough by sheer single-minded stubborness. The reward isn't even that great! But I still want it.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hitting it to power level and then using an arrow to make more precision afterwards helps, but yeah that one is a total bitch.

How does the arrow help?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I've killed two white maned lynels in rapid succession this playthrough after avoiding them since my first run, and I've gotta say that fighting them is actually pretty thrilling provided you have good equipment/food/stasis+.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I beat the Champion's Ballad last night. It was fun, though the final fight was just a bit frustrating, and I really wish there was some sort of postgame to really play around with the motorcycle, because I got it and then went straight to fight Ganon.

Also, gently caress that Guardian Skywatcher in the final dungeon. I probably should have just ignored it instead of trying to take it down, but I decided to fight it and only beat it because I somehow blew up one of its propellers.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I spent about a solid 90 minutes trying to get a 4/4/5 horse, and finally caught one in the Taobab Grasslands. I rode it all the way past two Lynels, boarded it, and went straight into the menu and loaded my last save instead of actually saving.

Thankfully, the last save was right after I'd ridden Larch into the stable. God bless this game's autosaving.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I'm starting Master Mode for the first time. How should I approach the start, and about what point does it ease up?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Master Mode is actually kind of fun! Granted, I'm using Majora's Mask to walk right up to enemy camps and platforms to grab their treasure, but I think not using it would make the experience incredibly frustrating for me in particular.

I'm baffled as to why Guardians in non-Test shrines have all been buffed while the Test of Strength ones haven't (except for the regen, I guess). I had more trouble clearing out the Guardians in Kaam Ya'tak then I did with a Major Test of Strength.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

God do I loving DARE start a new Master Mode file

I mean, you'd have to put up with the frustrating early game. I'm having fun with it so far, though.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Whenever I play I always head to Medoh as my first beast, just to get Gale. It makes exploring so much easier.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I don't know if you are aware but cooking 5 durians together gives you an extra 20+ temporary hearts.

Adding to this, even though Big Hearty Radishes give more hearts per cooking the fact that there's a whole grove of durians literally right next to the Faron Tower (and a second one in the vicinity, and a third one on Mt. Satori) means that durians are the most efficient extra heart food. I am often swimming in stinky hearty fruit by the midgame.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I'm doing a Master Mode run and I'm about to do my usual conquering of the Ridgeland Tower via 2 Phrenic Bows and a shitton of bomb arrows. If I eat some triple attack food will that increase the damage, or do bomb arrows have their own set damage they do upon exploding?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, I genuinely don't know if I'm capable of beating the Toto Sah shrine. I seriously cannot for the life of me wrap my head around how to rotate this loving thing, and apparently the chest has a key I need to get.

Once again I must state I hope whoever designed the Apparatus shrines gets fired, out of a cannon, into the sun.

e: I found an "easy solution" video where the guy showed how to flip the controller to do it, but even with that it still took me five minutes or so. The Apparatus shrines are so bad.

Ze Kasho over in Akkala is an absolute nightmare and I'm amazed I've done it so quickly the last few times.

e: seriously, people gripe about Mirro Shaz's stasis antics, but the really hard part of that shrine is optional. You are required to do Ze Kasho's hell puzzle to progress.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

MokBa posted:

I had a ton of trouble with this my first time but when I did it last week it seriously took me 5 seconds to get the balls in place. Seems like a bit of a crapshoot.

Yeah, I've had a good string of luck with it in recent runs and I do not know why.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

You know is it just me or is it actually a lot easier to get money in Master Mode. SIlver and Gold enemies drop gemstones in addition to the usual monster bits, and with Master Mode's increased number of silver and addition of gold enemies I just am loaded with Sapphires, Topaz, and Rubies.

In standard mode, my go-to method of money hunting is to kill the same few Taluses over and over again. This Master Mode run, I basically had my sensor set to rare ore deposits the whole time and I'm swimming in rupees.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Can you take buffs into Eventide? I’m not sure I need to since I have Urbosa’s Fury, but I don’t particularly want to go to the trouble of doing the equipment cheat.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Phantasium posted:

more durian weapons

That stinks!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

surf rock posted:

Most Zelda games are lauded immediately upon their release, but I'm curious about the last few.

I've beaten the original, LTTP, Awakening, OOT, Wind Waker, and LBW, and I've played through significant chunks of the Oracle games, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. I've absolutely loved the games I've beaten, and I really liked the Oracle games, but I found Majora's concept anxiety-inducing and my TP save got corrupted two-thirds through and it put me off that game. I haven't played BOTW yet, and I played SS for a couple of hours but just didn't find it interesting.

What's the modern consensus on WW, TP, SS, and BOTW now that some time has passed? Personally, I feel like WW has only gotten better and better in hindsight; it's tied with LTTP for my favorite Zelda. I feel like TP is fine but pretty middle-of-the-road, and I'm not familiar enough with SS and BOTW to speak on those.

As far as I can tell for BOTW, the general consensus upon release was "Instant Classic."

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Sword and board Lynels are the easiest to fight without Stasis+ because they have more intuitive tells for you to Flurry Rush (I've never figured out the timing for most of the spear ones and I've only managed a few dodges for the clubs). The only attacks I can mostly reliably bullet time for all variations are the one when they run by you and swing their weapon and the one where they put their weapon away and just try to tackle you. Once you get the hang of it though Lynel hunting is actually pretty thrilling (but always bring some Hearty and triple defense foods, just to be safe). And once you kill one it'll usually drop its bow, which makes it easier to fight other Lynels because the multi-shot spread they all have makes hitting their faces to stun them more doable.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

If you want to spoil yourself on the location of absolutely everything, there's always the interactive map.

The Bloop posted:

I used this, but only after everything else when I wanted to find all the koroks

Try tagging everything but the Korok seed locations off and then zoom out all the way.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Final Blog Entry posted:

I'm replaying now, have all divine beasts, 70 or 80 shrines, lots of hearts and stamina, but haven't gone to do Eventide yet because I get anxiety just thinking about it. Maybe I'll finally go at it this weekend :sweatdrop:

Urbosa's Fury makes the whole thing much easier-- you can fry the Hinox with all three charges, and also take care of the mooks at the peak.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Final Blog Entry posted:

Good to know, I couldn't remember if champion skills were usable there or not

You can also consume Hearty and Defense buffs before initiating the trial. The last time I did it on Master Mode I maxed out my hearts and made a 30-minute triple defense elixir.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I really wish you could pull out the camera rune in slow-mo while you're airborne.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

I've found that parachuting onto them from above is usually the easiest method. The Taobab Grasslands (a bit south of the Great Plateau) have a good chance to spawn 4/4/5 horses as well as being the home of the giant horse, and it has a whole bunch of nearby high vantage points to drop in on your future steed.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Hopefully they'll make the Silent Realm trials less horseshit; I gave up on the game at the third one.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

The other easy option is to equip the full Sheikah set and swim without dashing. Jump in or near a mass of fish and pick them all up.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Smol posted:

Found the boss in the Shadow Temple. It seems a lot harder than any other boss so far.

I always had trouble with it (this is Bongo Bongo, right?). If the arena you were fighting on didn't shake as often as it does it would probably be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Amppelix posted:

if you wear hover boots the banging on the drum doesn't affect you!

My memory from my childhood is that the boots didn't help much because they didn't last long enough for me to aim properly.