Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, but this was decided like four years ago. For all intents and purposes there aren't any real timelines, but fans kept thinking there were and making a ton of arguments about it and making things more complicated than they should be, so Nintendo figured that for Skyward Sword they'd make extra bank if they billed it as The Start of the Timeline (even though a GBA game kinda already did that) and sell a $35 artbook that included a timeline they got an intern to think up for an afternoon. Still neat, imo.

I think you've forgotten the Zelda series' sheer love of prequels. Skyward Sword was no less than the 4th game heralded in marketing as showing us how everything began. ALTTP, OOT, Minish Cap, SS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes, with that something being a lady who got such a boner for Link that she split into two people and then started wrecking poo poo to get to him. I forget Cia's exact plan.

I can only remember the Hurl Warriors version of the story at this point. I think the actual one is something like, Cia watches Link through time and space and has a crush on him, but knows that in the end he'd never choose her over Zelda. Ganon makes her a devil's bargain which splits her evil and good halves. The evil half goes insane and invades all the timelines because that will help for some poorly thought out reason, while the good half works to stop her. I'm not entirely sure they ever really articulated how she expected this to get her a Link boyfriend.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 13, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So was Hyrule created after all the needles were pulled in Mother 3? When does Animal Crossing happen?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cleretic posted:

How did he feel about the OoT Water Temple? Because that's non-linear, and so terrible that the game designer has officially apologized.

He loved it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Phimosissy posted:

I hope it officially takes place in a sixth, making nerds lose their drat minds about the undescribed fifth.

It's the one where Link married Ruto

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Did they fix being able to chain stun Lynels with arrows? Because when I played (at release) once you got the pattern down they were kind of a joke. Shoot with spreadshot bow in face, get several hits, shoot in face, repeat. Poor idiots can't get an attack off.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Spergatory posted:

Anyone else unwilling to use certain weapons or armor sets because they're ugly as sin? I know the Savage Lynel Bows are powerful and amazing and I have six in my inventory and should really start cycling through them, but they're ugly and they clip really bad when Link runs. And the Ancient Helmet looks stupid. :argh:

I'd pay money for DLC that added the 'Cosmetic Gear' option from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Basically, it let you actually wear one set of items to get the stats and bonuses while looking like you were wearing another. I just want to save Hyrule looking cool. :c00lbert:

That's part of why I didn't wear the Barbarian Armor set as much as was practical in my first playthrough. It looks... fine I guess, but I liked a lot of other sets more. I mostly would just suck it up and equip armor instead of cooking or brewing potions if I needed resistances and was going to be in an area a very long time, though. (I also almost never used the Champion Tunic because it's a solo armor piece and not part of a set)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the Blessing shrines are fine, they're a way to give you a shrine reward when they want the actual challenge to be outside the shrine itself. The only problem is they're really inconsistent with it, sometimes you just find a shrine and it's a blessing, and sometimes you do some big challenge or solve a really cryptic riddle or puzzle and they still want you to do a 10 minute puzzle after that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Chieves posted:

You can remake any weapon in the respective region, I'm 98% sure.

You can. However, my champion weapons went straight on my house's wall for display until I went to Hyrule Castle (at which point they were all irrelevantly weak but IT FELT RIGHT OKAY?)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Also, a tip for climbing: stamina restore potions are useless compared to ones that give you extra wheels, because anything that gives you an extra wheel, no matter how small, is ALSO a full stamina restore. (Unless they patched that)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of wonder, with the regen mechanics in Master is it still viable to beat guardians by chain parrying their laser with your shield? It was never very efficient on the flying ones, but the stalkers only took 2-3 parries and I found it a better way to dispatch them than going ham once you got the timing down.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mindblast posted:

On my first run through the game, I just finished the dlc master sword trial(holy gently caress that last floor of the last trial). Super stoked with my fancy max roid sword I decided to explore the world again! :buddy:

My first exploration choice? The island in the bottomright of the map.

:shepface:

AKA the best shrine

Really my only issue with it is that if you die during that challenge it sends you aaaaaaall the way back to where you glided over from. Which is the right choice from a "don't make the player get stuck here forever if they're not having fun with this challenge" standpoint, but is an annoying amount of uneventful travelling between attempts if you're determined to win.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the shooting stars are guaranteed on full moon nights, but by no means limited to them. This was at release though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does the ability to permastun from well timed face arrows still work? Because it was kind of disappointing but also good for farming.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty sure the other is for shield surfing.

Shield Surf is already on there, the second one.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just checked, it's Jump Slash.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Ciaphas posted:

Is there anything I quote enquote need from Kakariko or Hateno before I gently caress off on an early game sojourn into Hyrule? Only thing I can think of is the camera.

I’m not cut out for exploration games :saddowns:

Get the shiekah slate upgrades and optionally the memory breadcrumbs. The former will enable tracking which is useful and the latter is just generally more fun to do while you're exploring than mop up after you're 90% done with everything. I filled in all the towers and like 50% of the shrines before I really even touched those places on my first runthrough and I really wished I did it earlier.

After religiously avoiding doing any story progression until the "end", I'm of the opinion that you may as well do main story stuff as it pops up, not avoid it. The game flows better when you're not actively avoiding Doing The Thing, killing Ganon perhaps excluded.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

RatHat posted:

Wow (boss spoiler)Waterblight Ganon was a total pushover. I guess because he's the first boss most players will fight?

Nah... they're, uh, they're all kinda like that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I tried a couple times to sneak but I'm bad at it so he always caught me. I just ended up fighting him. Took a couple tries but got him and taught me a lot about how to deal with them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I never used my Champion weapons, I just put them in my house. I grabbed them when going into Hyrule to fight Ganon, because it felt appropriate, even if they were wake. Kind of shame they're just fragile, relatively mediocre weapons. Not much to do but display them, but that takes up like half the slots so a basement would definitely be nice.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I do kind of wish you could get a second home in/outside Tarry Town with a warp stone upgrade from a Shiekah lab quest or something.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I almost wonder if the plan was to have you Shadow of Colossus Beast Ganon (which would've fit really neatly with the game's mechanics) but had to cut it because they needed to get it out the door or because of unforseen technical limitations with climbing dynamic entities or something. All the elements are there to do it like several SOTC bosses: a horse, a bow, and a giant thing you could climb and stab in weak spots.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yo, I'm playing the second DLC and they really dropped the ball not calling the One-Hit Obliterator the Triumph Fork.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Kin posted:

I just picked this up and the game is amazing. Like in a refreshing, put down the OCD collectathon and chip away at things in your own way at your own pace kind of amazing.

I'm still getting used to it and learning the ropes (i just got to Kakariko village after following the directions via the stables), but does the game naturally get easier as i make my way through it?

I'm coming across a lot of situations that i feel totally overwhelmed by (like those grey bobokins), but to be fair, i've only just discovered the cooking side of things because i must have skipped/missed something that explained the way to make food.

That being said, i'm finding that a bit overwhelming at the minute too because i've no idea what i should and shouldn't mix for the best effects.

Basically, is this like other Zelda games where i'll naturally grow into a walking killing machine or is it more tactical from beginning to end?

Also, what should i be doing as a general 'top of the list of things to do' in order to get more powerful?

Getting new armor and upgrading to level 2 it is a big one*. Most village shops have at least one set of armor. Naturally these vary from defense oriented to weaker but special effect oriented. Upgrading them will involve finding certain beings, you may be able to get a hint about your first one in Kakariko village.

Learning cooking is the second big secret to being stronger. Fortunately it's not that difficult, the simple truth is that each recipe can only have one type of buff, so mixing buffs is pointless. Other than that it's pretty straightforward "higher quality = more hearts, more special effect ingredients = stronger/longer buff". There are a few special recipes you can find in books, and a couple secrets beyond that, but over all that's the whole system.

In general, just try a thing and it will probably work, having a big arsenal of absurd things you can do in combat helps a lot in this game. Have you tried shooting the bow in midair? What about hitting a pepper with a fire weapon to create wind? There's a lot of little tricks like that, this game has an absurd number of things that work that you would never expect them to have programmed in.

Note that once you get good enough, you can totally choose armor for fashion and beat things in all sorts of absurd ways without ever cooking, but just starting out those will help a lot.

* Not all armors get special effects at level 2, but most do.

Kin posted:

Awesome.

I take it the health maxing route is tied to those shines/orbs instead of bosses this time around?

That first statue at the temple of time offered me hearts or stamina. Is this a game that makes me choose one over the other or will i eventually max out both?

4 orbs lets you choose health or stamina at any statue like the one you found on the plateau. You'll have enough orbs to be down either 2 pieces of a stamina wheel, or two hearts (three if you don't have the DLC). It's... slightly obnoxious, but there you go. That's if you bother to do every shrine.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 11, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Re: old posts

Wrist Watch posted:

I held off on getting this for Wii U because I foolishly assumed it would be the inferior version (and the way I handle games I’m interested in is to go in full information blackout mode so I had no way of knowing that version was perfectly fine), but I picked up a switch and this + splatoon 2 just after new years.

Holy hell, this is easily one of the best games I’ve ever played. According to my switch profile I’m over a hundred hours in and at literally no point have I felt uninspired or bored, there’s just so much stuff to do. I wound up doing the gerudo beast first after discovering the area wandering into the mountains east of there looking for ores, and afterwards just kept exploring. I only started tackling the rest of them after checking my profile and discovering I already had 65 hours of game time. I can’t think of any other game that’s pulled me in like this one, it’s nuts.

Anyway, I know this isn’t anything special at this point but I wanted to post the moment this game clicked for me and I really fell in love with it:
https://twitter.com/cythrin/status/974445382770900992?s=21

Change your ways:

https://twitter.com/MJoyArt/status/974890829394280449

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Argue posted:

Someone who reads the language better than me should give a second opinion, but as far as I can tell there are no first-person pronouns in those Japanese screenshots. In Japanese, you can omit the subject and the sentence will still make sense if you have context, so they can get away with some ambiguity, but English can't do the same without it sounding unnatural.

I'm not exactly an expert either, but the article itself mentions this, in at least one screenie it uses 自分 which is "myself" or "I". AFAIK 自分 can mean "you", but only in the Kansai dialect and while Nintendo is based in Kyoto asserting it's the Kansai "you" in that context is a stretch.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 2, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

khy posted:

Okay, saw the 'Lord of the Mountain' today. I think I mistook him for a blupee before. I was able to mount him, but he didn't seem exceptional in any way. I couldn't register him at the stable. Is he for some quest or something?

Nah, just a cool friendo dude

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I assume this is compression, it's very similar to how Iwata compressed Earthbound and Pokemon GS. Saves a lot on space and makes loading areas really easy, at the cost of it making it really easy to sequence break and wrong warp if you can OOB in any way.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I would dig a game that's basically What if Tarry Town Was The Main Quest. I really dig town rebuilding or keep building pieces in games (usually RPGs). They're fulfilling, but always kind of severely kneecapped by being side content. I'd love a whole game that really focuses around rebuilding and expanding, but doesn't go full Dragon Quest Builders on it. BotW style would be kind of perfect for it. You need to adventure to find new rare things, claim territory, drive off a Lynel, whatever, and get rewarded with a bunch of personal sidequests with the residents and seeing the whole community evolve and spring to life.

I think Xenoblade X did something soooorta like this with itself but I didn't play that because... um... the font size was too small.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember looking it up and jotting it down and IIRC I don't think you need more than like 20-ish of each for everything, Zora trident rebuilding aside.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I did so I could put them up on my wall. Or more specifically the Trident since it was the only one I used because it was the only one on pace with my power at the time I got it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
One thing I did notice is that the structure above Ganondorf with the arm coming down looked exactly like the Shiekah Slate things that give you maps/runes, the ones that make the little drip. Which is neat.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Meallan posted:

It did worry me though that Zelda seemed to fall, while Link got grabbed by ghost arm.

The last thing I want is trapped Zelda again. Playable Zelda would be a dream come true, but at the very least dont have trapped Zelda again.

The weird thing is there's also a blink and you'll miss it shot of Zelda letting go of Link's hand while falling... in reverse.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Zelda is gonna be playable and the game is gonna be a dating sim.

... Not as in romance, as in Zelda is such a giant nerd she uses Shiekah technology to determine the age and historical significance of all the relics and skeletons under Hyrule.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Runcible Cat posted:

Ice arrows are the easiest cheat for catching horses.

Monster

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the sweet spot for me would be dungeons integrated into the environment, Hyrule Castle style. I suppose that's similar to a metroidvania then, but I do like the freedom BOTW gives by just handing you runes up front. Perhaps optional items that are needed to solve the dungeon but only give optional goodies elsewhere? A hybrid of ALBW and the traditional system, basically. I guess that's sort of like the champion powers in BOTW, but give them before the dungeon rather than after and have the dungeon make use of it (maybe with alternate solutions if you have the correct other power). I know people generally dislike one and done items like that, but I think a compromise has to be made there to keep BOTW as open as it is.

Honestly BOTW has some of that structure already, for instance needing some way to protect against thunderstorms or craft certain resistance food. BOTW stuff is still gated by progression, it's just all the locks are fuzzy locks, not hard locks like a Metroid game or traditional dungeons.

E: But then I have Very Wrong Opinions and Skyward Sword is my second favorite after BOTW.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Chronojam posted:

Untitled Groose Game

Zelda Megathread: Untitled Groose Game

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Clearly BOTW 2 is about making friends with the Subrosians in their sprawling subterranian city.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

BoTW should bring the back the Majora's Mask mechanics

Link in a Gerudo Mask, hello

Link as Ganondorf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't mainline that quest, I started it, did a step a couple hours later, and then I think waaaay after I bet the rest of the divine beasts and maybe even Ganon I finished it, so I uh... I didn't really know what was going on and was very confused. Apparently this is what was going on. Yikes.