Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hi Zelda thread, i've heard about Randomizer and Hyrule Magic, but what other tools are there that would help me make A Link To The Past romhacks? Is there a Mario builder for 2d Zelda games yet? I know there was one for the NES Zelda but that one is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Where's the best deal on preordering one of them new Switches and is there a package deal with BOTW?

edit- i'm trying google and now i'm going bonkers, i know they made a Lite but I thought they were also releasing a newer model Switch with increased battery life?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 22, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

canyoneer posted:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/make-sure-you-dont-buy-the-wrong-switch-this-august/

Right, the stock is likely to be mixed for a while. If you're ordering around August-ish, you might get sent an older rev if the retailer you're buying from is burning through old stock. It's sort of the same model number

Perfect, thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Uh, happy gaming everyone? May you find your castles full of princesses.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hi thread is the new switch on presale yet i can't figure out which SKUs the ones on amazon have.

magicalblender posted:

I got every single Korok seed. It took about forty hours. Using the amazing power of computers, I made myself a map that indicated the path I should take to get to the next closest seed. Here's a sample:

Please post the whole thing. This is incredible.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

magicalblender posted:

I'd love to, but first I need to find an image hosting site that will upload a 5000x5000 pixel 22 MB image without shrinking or blurring it.

Until then, here's a blurry 50% scale reproduction. https://i.imgur.com/Oue3q5O.jpg. Maybe it's still useful as a guide if your eyesight is better than mine. The starting point is on Hebra North Summit. Yellow dots are flower puzzle locations, green dots are starting points for pressure plate races.

I imagine Google Drive or Dropbox would be able to handle it, iirc I think 25 MB is the upload attachment for Gmail.

But! I will probably be able to use this one just fine. Thanks mate, this is some drat impressive work.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

A KING AMONG GAMERS!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I wish the art style was less duplo blocks and more of the watercolor dream pallete used in the manual art. Still gonna play it.

The Bloop posted:

This almost certainly took more work than the original game did, and that isn't even counting the Zelda Builder or whatever that bonus content is.

a what? there's a what? they're releasing what? a builder for zelda, you say? an easy to use intuitively designed zelda level builder? is this what you're referring to? That seems like it could be a lot of fun. Also, thanks for reminding me that Zelda Classic is still online and has evaded DMCA destruction for like, what, a solid decade at this point?

Holy poo poo this project is 20 years old.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

karma_coma posted:

I bought this when I got my switch a year ago but never really played more than hour or so... i bought my switch for diablo III coop and did that for like 80hrs and burned out on it again (probably have 500hrs in diablo III throughout the years)

I made it to karkario (or whatever) village and this game is legit insane. I had no idea it was this big. It's amazing. I don't know what to do exactly but im going to find something I'm sure. I got a horse too.

What do the little yellow icons mean when riding your horse? Seems like they appear when you first get on.

one thing i will say is howevermuch sequence breaking they plan for, enemies get much more lethal very quickly and it really does behoove to search out for shrines as you go.

i am fuckin COMBING through these hills and vallies, fuckin packrat snuffling out truffles in the grass, pockets bulging full of flowers. LOVE THIS poo poo.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

karma_coma posted:

I'm kind of lost, there is a lot going on here. I got the second tower and a blood moon occured.... im on the quest to where I go to the other village to repair my heathstone card deck, been doing shrines as i see them. I picked this up to cover the gap between fire emblem ~ dq XI (I know) and it appears I've found something much more interesting .....

yeah, once you get quests telling you to go to Akkala things start to open up a lot more. I ended up going through and finishing the Zora's Divine Beast just to see what that was like, and I recommend it. You get a resurrection item that boosts your hearts, which means less Game Overs as you explore the rest of the map.

So, is there any advantage to shield surfing over just gliding down steep slopes? My #1 way of moving around the world is to just climb up tall things and fly off of them. I also rarely ride horses because I keep stopping to collect everything I see. this game scratches OCD itches I didn't know I had.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
real OGs copped the misprinted Majora's Mask CD from Nintendo Power which is like 2/3rds just the ocarina spell songs, one after the other.

edit- the realest OGs possible had their college girlfriends steal this and their magic cards and occasionally experience deep regret upon looking up the resale value of the items which were stolen

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
RPGs have so broken me into the concept of "saving" consumables that my entire weapons inventory is now nothing but elemental weapon drops from Big Big Enemies and i STILL HESITATE TO USE THEM.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I just want the Torchlight 2 team to make a Link to the Past clone that's procedurally generated and never ending. Use the BotW weapon system to compensate for the fact that there's only so many Treasure Items in LTTP, same with the heart/magic/stamina whatever system. also i'm playing this in multiplayer with Ryan and James and none of our parents got divorced and we're 9 again and no one has to move away so we can spend our teen years together like we didn't get to irl.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the official order is that my scrote hangs ABOVE my weiner

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
god gave me a built in bidet AMA

edit- i'm done nobody needs to probe me. im sorry. im sorry.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You think that's weird? Zelda 2 is the adventure of LINK, despite the fact that you play as Zelda.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Tuxedo Ted posted:

^^^zelda has been a goron before, he could turn into one with a mask in majora's mask

thats cultural appropriation. hes wearing the peeled off face of an oppressed ethnic minotiry. technically majoras mask is a parable about dutch occupied congo

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bongo Bill posted:

the face's owner's ghost said it was okay

okay but he was a native goron, goron-clocktownians (aka post-diaspora gorons) are more sensitive to things like this because of the struggle of preserving traditional cultures in a foreign home.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I tried playing it on the GC and found it extremely obtuse and unfun, are there any ways to make it enjoyable? Any noteworthy mods or romhacks or such, do I just GameGenie through it?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
There's a place in BoTW named "Koholit Rock" or "Koholit Point" on the Secret Mystery Puzzle Island.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
haha what kinda hosed up bo jankity pokemon is that. fuckin plant snail. get the gently caress out of here. crawl up on them roots as though they were tentacles.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
howwwww the FRICK am i supposed to defeat the lynel? i have basically all elemental weapons in my inventory because i feel bad using them on non-elemental foes.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Amppelix posted:

This is obvious, but: learn the dodge timings for their attacks. And learn their attacks in general. Most of them the lynels telegraph several seconds in advance so it's just about internalizing the counterplay.

i'm real bad at perfect deflections and dodges so i guess i'll just need to practice. and no not for the shock arrows (i had accumulated enough to not even need any at that point) i saw one in the Ruined Colliseum, which i assume is a shrine quest.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I don't know how anyone can have even a smidge of difficulty with guardians the instant you get ancient arrows. even the flying guardians aren't bad if you, like me, obsessively hop around the map buying up huge stockpiles of arrows.
peg em in the eyes during bullet time, no muss no fuss. it's simple to me, honestly.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Gruckles posted:

If I remember right, ancient arrows still get you drops from guardians. It's just regular enemies that are 100% obliterated by them.

yup, and from what I've counted I think cutting the legs off guardians nets you a smaller pile of parts once you finish them off.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The Master Sword basically makes guardian fights fairly trivial, huh? I am really shocked at how quickly that difficulty curve flattened out, esp with guardian arows. i deliberately haven't bought the armor set yet, because pausing the game to switch clothes is stupid, but also because it feels like it'd make them trivial.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I've cleared a little less than half the shrines on the map and they're really making me miss dungeons. :-/ the open world aspect is really cool and nuanced but i hope the sequel expands on the dungeons. I've only beat one guardian beast though so maybe there's more of that later.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Weapon durability is a great way to make sure i horde elemental weapons and have at most 2-3 slots left for the things i actually use.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Amppelix posted:

Maybe you should work out your issues

you scoundrel. you absolute braggart. i play videogames do do to the opposite of that. fiend. villain.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Argue posted:

Shrine puzzles can stay but they should be seamless with the overworld and actually share the aesthetic of the locale they're found in.

those are korok puzzles and everyone hates them, except for me, whompst is profoundly Broken

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Soricidus posted:

The korok puzzles are fine but there should be more than like 5 different kinds repeated endlessly. I liked the ones with the balloons.

i think a really funny and infuriating mechanic would be where a set amount of korrok seeds (50) are dispensed randomly when certain areas (houses, shrines, forests) are cleared of all destructable environments.

just imagine the gamefaqs forum trying to figure out the spawn conditions.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Vookatos posted:

Shrines were neat, but as with Koroks, they soon got really stale. Exploration got a bit less interesting when the best thing you could find were either a pretty useless seed or another puzzle with an orb. There were a few shrines with other rewards, of course, but I still felt a bit cheated when I did a cool thing and it just unlocked a shrine. The overworld itself was fantastic, but I wish it would have more secrets, or just cool places, like Mount Satoshi (or whatever it was).
I agree that they should either add classic dungeons or Hyrule Castle-like ones (preferrably both) with various rewards. I'm very optimistic about whatever they do, though. Nintendo is one of the best devs out there, and they're usually very good at making sequels.

Still, I'm almost certain that most of the discussed features will be added, because Zelda team seems to listen to fans. Sometimes too much, but still.

i think one of the advantages of weapon durability is it opens up a whole new type of reward (Cool Weapons) which helps keeps reward chests fairly random. The previous poster who said the chests got stale isn't wrong, especially if the weapon in the chest isn't any better than the stuff you're already carrying. If your weapon cache is full, you might decide not to bother looking for chests in an area.

There's a lot of compelling reasons to explore (collecting everything like a God damned maniac) but there are also some discompulsions as well, like the fairly strict starting limits for what you can carry, paucity of rewards, overall shallowness of interactibility in the open world.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Solving the elephant first makes dying less frusturating.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've never hooked up my Switch to a TV, I've always ever used it handheld. :v:

Which made the Marble Madness shrine more of an annoyance since it meant I had to tilt it in a way that made the screen hard to see. I'm also going to go ahead and guess that there's at least one more shrine with that gimmick (though I'll be pleasantly surprised if there isn't). Actually the worst part of that shrine was succeeding after five minutes, dying after getting the chest, and then having to do it all over again because it didn't save that I succeeded. That's my own fault though, I should've grabbed the spirit orb and then gone back in and not worried about the ball and just grabbed the chest.

did you try flipping the platform onto its blank, reverse side?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Amppelix posted:

You know trying that causes you to be completely unable to see the screen in handheld mode, right?

(while lying on my back amongst perfumed cushions) for a peasant, perhaps.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You can take out Skeleton Foes with two bombs (one to disassemble, one to damage the skull) and the horns they drop sell for 8 rupees apeice. They ususally drop 2-3 and at night the stalchilds or w/e they're called in game spawn in groups of 3, so that's like 44 rupees per encounter. for early game that's not bad.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah once I had some cash I just warped to the different stables and bought out all of Beedle's arrows and have rarely been below 100 arrows since.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Frostspears are good for one or two hits at a time if you're swarmed with foes or trying to run away. Whip it out, freeze some goons, drop a bomb and run away. Very minor damage to durability.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Twelve by Pies posted:

How the hell did that stupid Lynel keep seeing me from a thousand feet away while it's raining and I have a 3x Stealth Bonus? Anyway first Divine Beast down, that was a good dungeon. I don't much care for the map, it's a bit useless, but I guess a standard Zelda type map wouldn't really work and they had to fit in the gimmick too. And hey, now I finally have a fourth heart. Now I just need to find the forest for more equipment slots, and a second fairy fountain so I can get to work on more upgrades for my armor would also be nice.

IIRC you first find the maraccas dude outside Westside Stables, I think there's two encounters before you have to make it all the way to the forest.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is hyrule warriors available on teh swatch yet? i need this information for Reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
wtf cooking 5 peppers just gives 12 minutes of level 1 protection but cooking 1 pepper and 2-3 hot fish gives 11 minutes of level 2 protection? ugh i gotta actually put effort into cooking, i can't just spam 5 ingredients at once????????????? what the buttshit do you WANT from me game.