Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I hope Zelda teams up with Link and we get to beat up monsters together.

I hope we can finally experience this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's Skyward Sword 2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Performance tuning is usually one of the last things that's done in a game development cycle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In anticipation of Breath of the Wild, I kicked off a replay of Skyward Sword, which I hadn't touched in a couple years. It's good. I'm going into it intending to pay close attention to environment design, inventory management, and NPC interactions.

I find myself wishing that Wii games on Wii U supported Miiverse. I'm not even to the start of the tutorials and there are already easter eggs that would merit a "Huh, neat." Like how the chalkboard in the academy has a doodle of an arrow shooting a heart, representing how you can shoot hearts with arrows and stick them to the wall.

The 480p resolution is also regrettable. I could emulate, and I know it would look spectacular if I bumped it up to 1440p or whatever, but I'd have to figure out hooking up a Wii remote to it and everything. It's a lot of setup, when just running it on a console is just ready to go. Way I see it is: this will just make Breath of the Wild look that much more impressive by comparison.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

N64 Zeldas look better on the official emulators than on the console because they originally ran at 240p, I'm pretty sure. The N64 emulator on Wii and WIi U actually does run its games at higher resolution. Same reason Gamecube and Wii games look better on Dolphin. Also the reason there are so few N64 Virtual Console games. Gotta test it thoroughly.

I gotta say, the pointillist filter they apply to distant objects in Skyward Sword still looks really good, even though you know it's there to cover up the low-LOD models. The draw distance in this game is impressive considering the hardware; it's definite the resolution that hurts it most. At 480p, anything that detailed rendered that small is gonna look like a blotchy mess, so a shader that makes it look like an artistic blotchy mess is a good way to handle it. Breath of the Wild seems to have managed to make the effect look a bit more like brush strokes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Good luck on your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad quest, Jonas Albrecht.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The sensor bar is not used in Skyward Sword.

When flying, you can only angle downward, not upward. Flick the remote downward to make the bird flap, gaining altitude, then tilt downward to dive, gaining speed, and level out to coast.

Edit: while I'm at it, remember that you steer using roll, not yaw.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The controls generally work great, but are explained poorly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

Wrong. Whenever you need to aim (bow, beetle, ect) it uses the sensor bar. Everything else he is correct though.

Nah, you can reset the aiming in those cases with the down arrow. It's gyroscopic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking as someone who figured out the timeline independently before they announced it, please don't care about the timeline. Some other games happened, before or after, and the version of them you were told previously may or may not have focused on the part that is relevant to the one you're playing now.

Breath of the Wild seems to slot in somewhere near or at the end. Which end? Doesn't matter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

See, like, I sort of feel like this is too harsh. It's okay to wonder and speculate about it. It's not some horrible cancer that will ruin your gameplay experience, unless you're some sort of obsessive person who stays up bleary eyed and argues with people while editing one of the wikis to support your latest theory or whatever.

Well, I was addressing goons.

I'm actually really impressed at the approach they've taken to continuity, by creating a diegetic (if mystical) reason for the games to be so structurally similar while maintaining the desired grandeur, and using storytelling techniques that minimize or completely ignore inconvenient details of related stories, while bringing in allusions to them when it would enhance their current project.

Rather than trying to tell a unified, authoritative story-of-stories as some do, they adopt a tone of presenting liberal dramatizations of speculative interpretations of parts of an oral tradition inspired by canon. "Legend" and such.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Apparently in BotW, Link will be playing banjo. It's about time.

Good. Banjos own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxavhjb_7JU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being able to hold the controller halves apart from each other was the best.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm waggle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skyward Sword has a small number of chronic annoyances. If they bother you, you'll hate it; if you can overlook them, you'll love it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The first Darksiders is the best Fake Zelda game, I think.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Link Between Worlds had a similar upgrade system to Skyward Sword, it just wasn't based on collectibles. But Breath of the Wild has collectibles. It's also got crafting. So, I think we've got nothing to worry about.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When I was younger, my attempts at playing Link to the Past ended in failure before I managed to get through Zelda 1 (which, in turn, I couldn't do until I gave myself permission to just follow a map with the exact locations of everything). Something about its loose guidance did not click for me at first. Only after seeing how it evolved from its predecessor did I realize that I needed to respect enemies and make intermediate stops to gather resources based on my own discretion. Once I did that, I was like, "Oh yeah, of course this is great." But I had been conditioned to expect the game to tell me more about what it wanted from me.

The games following Link to the Past were a bit firmer in how they directed the player. For the most part, from Link's Awakening onward, if the player goes from waypoint to waypoint, they'll generally arrive at each challenge pretty well-equipped to deal with it. If you try to do that your first time through Link to the Past, by opening up the world map and saying "Ah, the next number is that one, so I'd better go immediately there," you'll have a hard time. It is balanced so that it's virtually required that you explore the world in order to be strong enough to handle it, but it never invites you to explore it, never gives you trails of breadcrumbs that lead to the most important optional upgrades. You almost feel lucky that the bombable walls are even marked most of the time.

Compared to it, A Link Between Worlds is more structured. The rules that govern the way the game is designed are more consistent and telegraphed more strongly. You can see all the items up front and you know that all of them have upgrades and you learn very quickly what things they can interact with. More of the important upgrades to player power are placed along or near the critical path. You still have to respect enemies, but the biggest combat challenge usually comes from accessing the dungeon, while the interior is more puzzle-focused. It introduces you to more NPCs earlier and more of them foreshadow what sidequest they'll be involved in later. You can put markers on the map and get hints.

Breath of the Wild is looking like it combines A Link Between Worlds, in that it's very open and you're expected to set your own priorities, with Skyward Sword, in that it focuses on very rich interactions with the environment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Video games were at their best when you were twelve.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm relying on this thread to keep me informed of why Amazon's claiming a ship date of the 13th for the special edition.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Nintendo was right to resist voice acting all these years. Yeesh.

that's what I've been saying all along

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He was a man, but then he became a monster who was no longer a man, and after that he became the end of the world.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Hylian is an actual language?

It's an alphabet. Substitution cipher for English. Think it started in Wind Waker.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Just got an email from Amazon stating that the Special edition date moved from the 13th to the 3rd.

Verily, as did I.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've only ever hundred-percented the original, Link to the Past, and Majora's Mask. Majora's Mask I forced my way through because I adore it, and the other two are fairly lean experiences. All the others just have a huge amount of poo poo to solve, including at least one minigame that I stop caring about.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most of the games in the series are direct sequels or prequels to exactly one other game in the series, and this is a good thing about them. Sometimes different ones are sequels to the same game, and they contradict each other. So they said, "Eh, we've got time travel in this series already, let's just say that's why they both exist."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

I did it, everyone. I beat the Water Temple.

I'm proud of you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm in Skull Lake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll buy it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want someone to force you to buy it, I'll volunteer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I'd pay upwards of a thousand dollars for this game.

You'd have your work cut out for you to convince me to go above nine ninety-seven, but I admit it's possible.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

glassyalabolas posted:

Amazon has the Deluxe Edition of the guide landing page.

By god, it's beautiful.

That is an attractive book.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

I don't see how something that has no effect on the product can be predatory.

It does have an effect on the product. It does not have an effect on the fairness of the outcomes of play, but that is a reductive view of the game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Legend of Zelda is a video game about being courageous.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Link just doesn't want to cause a panic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm tempted to use the nice-looking book as a decoration.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

God I hope they programmed it so that the master sword in its sheath doesn't
Doesn't uh
Oh my god I forgot the name of the specific type of graphical glitch that happens when one polygonal entity goes through another without affecting it and it looks all bad and wrong
Well I hope they programmed it so that the master sword in its sheath doesn't do that glitch with Link's hat like it's done with all modern Zeldas starting with Wind Waker I think

clip

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ocarina has the best 3D dungeons of Zelda once you're Adult Link

A lot of them boil down to navigating to the spot where you can shoot the hookshot target or the arrow switch, but this should not be taken as a complaint. Link has a nice simple kit in that game, and the extremely vertical design of all the dungeons makes excellent use of it.

I think I have to give the edge in dungeon design to Skyward Sword, however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Individual Zelda games, even ones not written by Yoshiaki Koizumi, tend to have good writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Revali is part of a proud tradition of Nintendo cameos.