Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

This game looks loving beautiful.

bloodychill pointed out in another thread that the performance is poo poo, and at first I didn't know what he was on about since the trailer looked fantastic.

But if you watch the nintendo treehouse right now, its running at like 5 frames per second. It looks AWFUL.

Hopefully that's just a problem with the stream or capture...

I imagine the framerate is really going to chug on Wii U, honestly. I can see why they're also promoting this as an NX launch title.

Incidentally, it might very well get me to buy an NX on launch, and I haven't bought a console on launch since like the PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really loving the idea of different runes for your slate giving you cool spells. I'm sure that's how you do that "freeze a block of water" thing from the trailer, too.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, storing up energy in something you froze to launch it when the stasis wears off 10/10

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like they just confirmed Diablo-style loot--you can find weapons and even if they have the same name and model they can have different little abilities on them. I wonder if they're random.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do people even care about this stuff?

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

To be fair, Nintendo does have an official timeline. It was fanwank for a while but it's canon now. I mean, the beginning of Wind Waker basically confirms it takes place in the same universe/timeline as Ocarina of Time, so it's not too much of a stretch, y'know?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's the official timeline for anyone curious, published in 2011:

My only real issue with it is that Skyward Sword taking place before Minish Cap is dumb and undermines Minish Cap's cute little "here's why all Links wear green floppy hats" origin story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm aware, I'm a big enough nerd I've read all about the split timelines and which game goes into which.

But it was really something that was kinda forced on Nintendo. Miyamoto never cared about having a cohesive timeline and it wasn't until fans came up with their own timeline and kept pestering him with questions about it that they finally came out and released an "official timeline", and its massively contrived because the games clearly weren't designed with it as a strict rule in mind.

Its better to forget that even exists. Just because Ocarina of time involved time travel you don't have to go creating all these split universes, sheesh.

I think it's fine that it exists--things sometimes show up as callbacks to other games in the same "timeline," especially in Wind Waker--but it's also important that it has never really mattered to the games themselves. It's not like you can't understand Wind Waker's story without playing Ocarina of Time, it's just a cool little detail. I dunno, maybe I haven't cared about Zelda recently enough to have gotten annoyed with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All of the games have tied together in some way. LttP was the prequel to Zelda 1 + 2, and OoT was the prequel to that. Obviously MM was the direct sequel to OoT. WW featured a lot of callbacks to OoT and was implicitly a sequel set way down the line.

I only played TP once wasn't the Hero's Shade supposed to be one of the Links?

Anyway yeah the games have been interconnected for a long time now.

The Hero's Shade is the OoT Link, I'm pretty sure, after growing up and dying of old age.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spear-fishing, bow-fishing, and bomb-fishing confirmed.

No fishing pole though, it looks like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm watching these videos and my hype is rapidly deflating as I see things like weapons breaking in a few hits, survival mechanics, limited inventory space for dropped items, having to gather materials to make things. These are all things that add tedium to games and I don't know why any of them needed to be in a Zelda game.

Digging the "sheikah technology from a now-lost civilisation" thing though

I think the weapon durability could work. It's worth noting that these are some lovely early game weapons made of wood or rusted iron that are breaking so easily. And I'm less worried about a weapon breaking mid fight if I can steal the enemy's weapon and keep fighting. And I'm pretty sure the crafting is just cooking.

Durability would annoy me if it was like Dark Souls, where you upgrade a small handful of weapons with rare resources, but in this it looks like you're a weapon scavenger and that's kind of cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lessail posted:

The shrines giving orbs means that to get some new things you'll need to get more orbs which could help with that as well as long as the orb cost doesn't get too high

I missed the part of the stream where they explain what orbs are. I saw how you get them--what do you use them for?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Interesting.

I think my fear with the orbs is that they'll be glorified experience points. I really hope that the way you get heart containers and stuff is entirely by exploring and finding those specific things, rather than amassing orbs and buying them. Fundamentally I'm sure it's basically the same--explore, do a mini-challenge, work towards an upgrade--but I find it more satisfying to go hunt down upgrades specifically rather than hunting down upgrade currency.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chico is a very powerful gamer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

lol more open world poo poo.

Just give me 6-8 dungeons and some cool items and stop wasting time on pants selection menus

Counterpoint: the actual gameplay is loving rad this time around and it looks like they programmed in a lot of cool interactions you can do. Also survival Zelda sounds kinda fun. I like that Link has to put on a jacket if he goes somewhere cold or he shivers and takes cold damage. And I'd argue this degree of openness and the focus on exploration over being funneled from dungeon to dungeon makes it truer to the original Zelda than any Zelda after it and that's kind of exciting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm as tired of thoughtless open worlds as the next jaded gamer, but I think the key is that this one seems like it might actually justify its own existence.

Which is more than I can say for my expectations for Watch_Dogs 2. Or even Horizon: Zero Dawn, a game that so far looks really fun but every piece of gameplay we've seen has been a carefully-crafted vertical slice so I'm skeptical of all of it right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's going to make a lot of money because it's Zelda.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

I like how you don't have to go through the lengthy chest opening animation that's been in place since Ocarina. I don't like how they still seem to be filling chests with arrows and junk. I'm not sure how I feel about the distinct lack of rupees.

We know there'll be towns, but they weren't in the E3 demo, so maybe that's why no rupees showed up (nothing to do with them yet).

I do hope they keep what you find in chests interesting, though. There's a danger of filling them with too much samey crap and arrows and dulling the excitement of finding one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

^^ Hopefully they'll do the thing where chest design increases in elaborateness as the contents' value increases, so as to temper your expectations accordingly

Yeah, that kind of thing definitely helps.

There were hints of an almost Diablo-like loot system, too, which is a little surprising. During one of the parts of the stream they found a bow with a +3 Power modifier on it and someone said that there are other versions of the same Traveler's Bow to find with other powers. I'm not clear on whether the loot was random or if it's all pre-generated, which makes some difference there, but that's a surprising move for a Zelda game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like they're all about hiding secrets this time; apparently you can beat the game without uncovering most of the story depending on how much you explore.

Holy poo poo this owns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Let's hope that 140 square miles is densely packed with content. A major problem of open world games claiming to have a huge open world is that there's usually gently caress all nothing to do in them.

I have to imagine that they wouldn't bother with such a huge world if there wasn't going to be plenty of stuff to explore and secrets to find. (In fact, according to Eiji Aonuma, a good portion of the story will only be found if you explore for it--if you just follow the critical path, you won't get the whole story.) But I also hope they don't just copy-paste points of interest around the map Ubisoft-style. That kind of thing just gets so fatiguing.

My own concern is that I want it to be fun to traverse. I want traveling through the open world to be a fun part of the game in and of itself, not just what I do between the fun parts. So far, the demo footage has me feeling pretty optimistic--it looks like the amount of potentially fun environmental interactions, different ways you can fight random enemies you come across, all that stuff, will keep exploration fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I have the feeling some people are going to go into this expecting Witcher 3-level quest density and come away thinking it's garbage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I doubt it, but it sounds like Nintendo is going to be giving players the option to tackle encounters way above their level early on. That makes a lot of sense for Nintendo, who like to give players the option to do hard challenges without requiring them. Although in general the Zelda series doesn't do that as much - Mario games are the best example of this.

Yeah, I love how Mario games handle their challenge. I'm always perfectly happy that the normal "just get through the level" part isn't that tough because there are always plenty of optional challenges.

They might go that route with Breath of the Wild, just because they're putting in so many ways to adjust Link's combat ability (equipment, food buffs, environmental tricks). I'd love it if there were some really tough combat challenges hidden out in the world so that players can screw around with all those things and feel rewarded for doing so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

greatn posted:

From Time magazine

I love this. It's like the young guns at Nintendo are really starting to have their voices heard and his like Aunoma are really listening.

That excerpt really explains a lot about why this one is turning out so different from the other 3D Zeldas. It's pretty exciting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

So was there anything displayed on the gamepad screen? I don't remember noticing anything or them pointing it out.

In other game demos, they've switched between the gamepad and the main screen during the stream, so it's possible that whole "use your tablet as a telescope/mark enemies and destinations" thing is on the gamepad screen.

But it also might not be. They certainly weren't using it for quick-swapping equipment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

I have a friend who loves zelda, he even introduced me to it with Majoras Mask many terrifying moons ago, but he thinks the new game looks boring. He and everyone who says that must just be objectively dumb right? Like you do realize how impressive it is that they can keep us engaged with new and amazing content for hours and hours WITHOUT even touching on the traditional zelda temple/story stuff right?? This isnt a lacking Zelda game, its a new zelda game + skyrim with link. Skyrim + Zelda, not Zelda without temples.

I think there are at least two contingents of people who are either a) really not sold on this concept or b) outright turned off by open world. Some people are just really open world fatigued, which I understand, and that makes them really skeptical of any game series that "goes open world." The other group are the people who already really loved the 3D Zeldas as they were and probably would've preferred another one like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Hey, in the trailer at around 2 min 15 sec:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE&t=135s

You can see Link do what looks like a parry against a chuchu. This wasn't something you could do in the demo or showed off in the TreeHouse right? That suggests Link will end up learning new moves a la TP.

I think they try the parry move in the Treehouse stream but whiff it and don't make any mention of it. They definitely swing the shield, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

greatn posted:

Perfect timing

I never thought I'd be legitimately excited for a Zelda game again, but, well, here we are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Quoting this cause I'm catching up on the thread.

Can we just put all these new programmers to work on a Metroid game after this? :allears:

If Nintendo can do for Metroid what it looks like they're doing for Zelda it'll be the best drat thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This was from yesterday, but I like this Aonuma quote from this article:

quote:

"I've always thought that when creating a 3D game where it's easy for users to get lost, it's really important to tell the users what they need to do," Aonuma said. "But then, after creating this larger world, I realized that getting lost isn't that bad. Having the option to do whatever you want and get lost is actually kind of fun."

I'm excited for this like crazy, though Dark Souls taught me there's a good portion of people who play games who'll read a quote like that and their heart just sinks. Couple that with the apparent likelihood that people are just going to outright miss big parts of the story if they just follow the critical path without exploring and I'm guessing this is going to end up a really controversial Zelda game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing about that shield parry is that deflecting projectiles is nothing new in the Zelda series, whether you do it with your sword or shield, but that just looks so goddamn meaty and satisfying there.

That, and the timing is really tight, it looks like. That's a really fast projectile.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a big fan of creepy smoke monster Ganon and I hope it stays a formless evil and never like coalesces onto Ganondorf or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Goons, are you going to get Breath of the Wild for Wii U or NX?

Hard to say without knowing what the NX really is. I'm leaning towards maybe getting an NX with it just for the better visuals, but I'm not sure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can definitely climb buildings.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Took me forever to find a video of someone successfully landing the shield-swing Dark Souls parry. Turns out it's a disarm, which is pretty neat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGe3PzXifJU&t=73s

"NOW LOADING" on the Sheikah Slate rune thing is hilarious, I love this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

One of the endless streams from the floor showed the bokoblins hunting a boar and one of them eating the meat that fell from it after Link hurt him. And it did give him back health.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0i9OL96-E&t=285s

That owns a whole lot. I always like it when enemy NPCs in games show signs of life beyond standing around waiting to be killed or just chasing the player, even if it's just little scripted interactions like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

I don't know, man. Mario went to capital-S Space for the Galaxy series and after the fact I kinda felt like they painted themselves into a corner with that move. But then they came out with 3D world and it turns out the answer to "where you go from space" is "back the way you came."

So, probably just a return to form, but better.

What's interesting is that this one is a return to form--just one that's a very long time coming. In a lot of ways, BotW probably represents what they wish they could've done with Zelda in the first place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Considering grabbing Link Between Worlds because I could use a Zelda hit and I haven't played it yet. Is it as good as I've heard, with a surprising amount of focus on exploration over super-guided funneling you to dungeon after dungeon?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only game I've enjoyed with the 3D on was Bravely Default, somehow it's the only one that didn't make my head feel weird, but I will definitely try it with Link Between Worlds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just got to Lorule in Link Between Worlds and did the Thieves' Den dungeon. So far, this is pretty drat fun. I feel like the dungeons are a little shorter than I expect every time, but they've been really, really clever so far, and maybe it's less that they're short and more that the puzzles are clever while still keeping the pace going and never really seem to grind things to a halt with too much block pushing. Really liking the game so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another thing I like about LBW: the Hyrule Field music changing to something even more triumphant once you get the Master Sword was pretty great. It makes coming back to Hyrule from Lorule feel like coming up for air or going outside after being inside for way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everything about Breath of the Wild is extremely my poo poo. I'm still wary of the possibility of a boring open world but aside from that I love everything I'm seeing.

I feel like the whole thing with Hyrule's glory days being long ago and the rusted Master Sword are meant to really hit those nostalgia buttons hard for Zelda old timers like me. Also I'm digging formless primal evil Sauron Ganon.