Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For once I kinda dig the US box art for something more than the alternative. The blue-and-orange thing is way played out but I dunno, I'm into the whole stare-out-over-the-horizon deal.

Also the English logo for the game is way better than the Japanese one just because it includes the rusted-out Master Sword.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder how the Master Sword will work in this. I'd assume they're not just going to give you an infinite-durability sword with good attack power and undermine the whole weapon-scavenging system. My guess is that it'll be some combination of the following:

a) The Master Sword has durability but it can be repaired, or its durability regenerates over time.
b) It's not particularly remarkable against most enemies, but is very strong against (or the only way to hurt) enemies closely associated with Ganon.
c) It can't be used as an actual weapon until the very end of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rime posted:

Zelda weapons have never really been about DPS stats, so if they go that route it'd be kind of lovely TBQH.

Weapons definitely have a clear attack stat in BotW and every weapon we've seen also has durability, so it definitely matters in one way or another. If the Master Sword was both a strong weapon and had infinite durability, you'd have little reason to use other weapons, which kills the whole weapon-scavenging thing. So they're going to have to limit it in some way, either by making it weak in most circumstances, only usable/worth using at the very end of the game, or giving it durability (that, I'd assume, can be repaired, unlike other weapons).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are the chances that this runs over 20 fps on the Wii U? I'm probably not getting a Switch because my rationality is holding on at least for now but I really want Breath of the Wild to be a pleasant experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Looks like BotW is going to be my only Switch launch title. I had myself convinced that Mario would be a launch title as well, and I'm proper gutted that it's going to be 10+ months and pissed off at myself for getting my hopes up for no reason. I was 4th in a queue of about 12 people this morning when the GameStop conveniently located here in Bumfuck, Nowhere (postal code = who gives a gently caress) opened and I had no problem getting a grey Switch, I just wish there were more launch titles. Not that I don't have a ludicrous backlog everywhere else, of course.

I'm not interested in any of the special editions of Zelda and I'm just going to pre-order the regular Switch edition on Amazon for the 20% Prime discount, but I'm not going to slag off anyone who really had their heart set on some fun collectibles and got burned. I'm a huge fan of the Lunar RPG series, apart from the hideous abomination on the DS, and I paid nearly $200 last year for a pristine copy of Eternal Blue on the PSX with a copy of the hardcover strategy guide that was still in the plastic wrap.

I really wish I could justify getting a Switch. I really, really want one, even though I can't ignore just how boneheaded a lot of the hardware decisions are and the really unfortunate launch lineup. But I'm pretty determined to play BotW on the Switch and, well, I'm probably not getting one of those for a while, so :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm reasonably confident that I will be happy with my purchase in the long-term, but this could be a Wii situation. It took me ages to get a Wii and I never really cared for it after I got one, but the Wii sold like mad. Meanwhile, I adore the Wii U which was a commercial failure.

Now that I think of Zelda, though, I would like to get one of those nice hardcover strategy guides. I have one for just about every main Zelda game there is... even Spirit Tracks, which I don't own.

I actually made a Switch preorder this morning but canceled it a few hours ago in an attempt to be responsible in some vague, probably meaningless way, but man, BotW on the Switch is extremely tempting and it's tough to say no to it. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't be impossible to get a Switch in March or April when I have a better grasp on whether it's something I should get now or wait a year on.

I'm with you on the Wii and Wii U, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If it turns out to look better than it does in those comparison videos, I'll do that. I hope the release version on Wii U isn't that washed out and fuzzy. I try not to be too much of a graphics nerd but that was a pretty stark difference for a game with a really pretty aesthetic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really hope they've fixed the colors in the Wii U version since the E3 demo--they look so much nicer in the Switch version and washed out colors ruining a beautiful game is just the kind of thing to make me prematurely buy a Switch.

Augus posted:

I'm sensing a fair bit of Princess Mononoke influence there (and also with the overall aesthetic of the game)

I'm getting a big Mononoke meets Nausicaa vibe from the game in general and I love it. Everything about BotW's setting and aesthetics is perfect for me.

Also I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised I haven't seen any diehard Zelda uber-nerd angry that Link's default outfit isn't his classic green. I'm digging the new blue look (though I know I'll be replacing it with all sorts of cold weather gear and armor throughout the game).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I'm sure he will get into his classic garb at some point in the game, though. Nothing wrong with changing a few outfits on the way.

Though I'm still irrationally mad at him being right handed.

Yeah, not too sure why he's right-handed this time. I understand why they had to do that for Skyward Sword, but when you're controlling link with a normal controller, there's no reason he has to be right-handed. (I still don't really know why they had to mirror the Wii version of Twilight Princess--it's not like the sword swings were one-to-one there, you just flick the wiimote to swing, it's practically a replacement for a button press and didn't really require Link's sword arm to be on the same side of the player's body as the wiimote is. :shrug:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I guess they wanted it to match up because people thought it was 1:1. In order for Link to be right handed, they had to mirror all the dungeons to account for items being used from the other side.

Yeah, it makes sense they'd have to mirror the whole thing if they made Link right handed.

Mahoning posted:

I'm sure they wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of mirroring the entire game unless they tested it and it was weird for right handed people.

I guess that's true. I wouldn't really know without having a chance to try it unmirrored with the wiimote and that's not going to happen, so I guess I'll have to assume that it's really weird.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phimosissy posted:

The treehouse guys got one-hitted by a guardian at full (4) hearts. It certainly looks like some fights matter at any rate.

Also, I think no hearts, just meat/mushrooms and cooking?

There's also an armor stat, so I'm sure that damage can be reduced significantly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's to stop Link from binge-eating his hearts up in the pause menu every time he takes damage?

Probably inventory capacity limits, and I'd guess it'll be tough to find healing items while you're in a dungeon so using them all up would be bad. But also I don't expect the game to be super hard so maybe they're not treating it as that big of a deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if that just means that you can blitz the critical path and miss a lot of important stuff that's found in side quests and side dungeons, not just that you can waltz right in to fight Ganon from the word go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

The quote literally says you can go straight to the final boss.

It says "straight to the goal" which could just mean "stick to only doing the things that get you to the final boss," with the stuff you'd miss being the side quests and dungeons that reveal the rest of the story. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are multiple ways to read that, specifically because I don't want people to be disappointed and feel lied to if it does turn out you can't waltz right into the final dungeon immediately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Please reread the quote, especially this part:

Ah, missed that line. Sorry bout that!

I wonder if you can actually beat the final boss right from the start, or if you can just go there and get owned. I guess maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Master Sword was in some way required to win. Or maybe you can half-beat him and get a special ending.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MokBa posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nintendo-explains-differences-between-switch-wii-u-versions-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

The only information that seems new is about the sound. I wonder if the difference will actually be noticeable.

I hope this means that the difference in color saturation that you can see between the E3 Wii U demo and the much more recent Switch demo aren't there anymore. I mean, that E3 demo is from months ago so the comparison between that and the Switch one is already tough to make, but I'm guessing we're not going to see any more Wii U footage until the game's out. I can't imagine color saturation would be extra-taxing on the hardware (but I also don't know poo poo about graphics rendering so maybe it is?) so while I can see fewer objects on screen, shorter draw distances, and lower resolution being necessary for the Wii U, I'm not sure why "all the colors are washed out" would need to be the case, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well why not posted:

There's definitely been an evolution in art style, the colours look way more vivid in recent demos. I expect Wii U performance to be a bit behind Switch, but not hugely so. 720p v 900p is about what I'd expect.

Yeah, I hope the color saturation is an evolution of the art style over the past 7-ish months of development and not a difference between the Wii U and Switch versions. That's really my only concern when it comes to playing BotW on the Wii U instead of the Switch. I can live with 720p instead of 900p (not nearly as big of a difference as 720p vs. 1080p) and the decreased environment detail if it means I'm not dropping $300 on a console I'll only want one game on for like 6 months probably.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Eurogamer sat down and talked a bit about the new Zelda with Aonuma. Amongst the development talk is a comment that a playable Linkle might be a possibility in the future.

Just let us play as Zelda already. Why do you have to invent a whole new character in Linkle when you have Zelda, who has been able to do cool action things in multiple games by now? (Of course, rarely while actually going by the name Zelda, which is odd.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Would be cool if there was a hard mode that included a hunger meter, not in a green ranger need food badly survival game way, but in a you can't eat anymore to heal because Link's hunger meter is full, and he recovers his hearts slowly while the hunger meter is full

Metal Gear Hyrule: Snake Eater. I'm in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Cause Zelda is tied to royalty. (Not Terta #bestzelda) and the Zelda formula calls for a orphan/humble beginning building to great things.

How about this for a play-as-Zelda plot:

We've got a world where the Hyrulean royal family is defunct in one way or another, maybe Hyrule fell long ago and nobody can trace the royal bloodline anymore. Link is the prophesied hero and Ganon actually plays it smart this time, so he captures Link just before Link could get his sword and start on his hero's journey. Meanwhile, a young girl named Zelda--named for a legendary princess of Hyrule from long ago--picks up the sword her childhood friend Link didn't reach in time and sets out to rescue her pal. She discovers that she actually is Princess Zelda in the course of her quest, so we get the humble beginning to great things transition Tetra-style, only now she still has to be the adventurer because like Ganon absorbed Link's Triforce of Courage or something.

Since it's going to be a long, long time before we have another 3D Zelda after Breath of the Wild--it's always a long time between them--this could be a 2D Zelda on the Switch or something, follow up on how rad Link Between Worlds was.

mabels big day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTsgWepH3GY

Grumpy British gamer declares Twilight Princess "not so bad" but still "misses the old Zeldas"

I've been enjoying the Boss Keys series so I'm looking forward to watching this later. (It helps that I generally agree that the more nonlinear, branching dungeons are more satisfying than the Wind Waker-style, room-to-room dungeons, so I don't end up annoyed by his reasoning or conclusions.) I really can't wait for him to get to Link Between Worlds because I think he's going to love it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm down for a Zelda led game and that sounds sweet. I don't know why that precludes Linkle of the Linkle option from existing. There seem to be the cool spinoff Zelda's and then the OoT TP back to basic Zelda's and I wish you could play the back to basic Zelda as Linkle. Remember that this is the players 'link' to the character, the original silent protagonist.

What I would be especially down for, is the next OoT Twilight Princess, back to basics Zelda to have Link as swordman, Linkle as crossbowman, alternate play styles with boss's that have to be apporoached differently based on your core weapon. Items you get become more important, The bow is huge for Link and the Megaton Hammer huge for Linkle in rounding out their skillsets.

I guess I don't mean that Linkle shouldn't exist, I just don't really know why Nintendo seems much more interested in Linkle than in playable Zelda. I guess hypothetically to keep Zelda as always the princess, always the one who needs rescuing, regardless of whether her rescuer is male or female?

I dig the idea of a game with both Link and Linkle as characters. Maybe instead of just Link being born in this cycle, they're twins, a brother and sister. Hell, just go Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on us and have a system where you play as both together and switch on the fly, that would be cool as hell. Or have them sent off on separate quests and you play both before coming together for the finale or something.

Augus posted:

Twilight Princess is kinda a bad game

I finished the first dungeon in Twilight Princess and then just never kept going because I didn't want to do another Wolf Link section. I really hated those. What else made it bad? It's the Zelda I've played the least of (well, except Spirit Tracks, I guess, I've played none of that).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Ive watched his whole series and what Ive learned, is that outside of like 2 dungeons, the mythical Zelda Dungeon he loves DOES NOT EXIST. He wants, non-linear multiple paths with solutions you can think out yourself that are not brute force, try every path.

I think the Water Temple is basically the holy grail for him--it's complex, the whole thing is basically one big puzzle, and it rewards you for spatial awareness and paying attention. He's not necessarily asking for a dungeon where there are multiple solutions to the whole dungeon or multiple paths through, but rather a dungeon with a layout and design complex enough that even though there's only one real path through, the player gets to feel like they figured out that path instead of feeling like they're figuring out individual rooms but being led down the dungeon's actual path.

Bombadilillo posted:

So watching his series, I don't know what he actually wants out of a Zelda dungeon, but I do know it doesn't exist.

He wasn't mad that Wind Waker gave you new paths to backtrack, but that it cut out backtracking almost entirely. Wind Waker likes to give you the item and then dump you immediately back to where you need to use it. In the video for Minish Cap, he looks at a different way of doing that--basically opening an entire new path for backtracking--and likes it a lot, because it's not just "okay, you got the boomerang, let's just take you right back to where you first might have noticed that you needed it," but rather a new way to go now that you have the item that eventually leads you back to a previous location.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

It seems apparent from the interviews they gave last year that the creators behind the series view the identities of Link and Zelda (gender, origin, status) as way more essential to the characters than many fans do. I don't think they'd ever gender swap them and it seems like if the ever made a game starring Zelda they'd want it to be something themed around what they see as her essential characteristics rather than just slotting her into Link's role.

I think it's pretty silly but that seems to be how they think about it.

Yeah, they're really tied to a specific set of characteristics for Link and for Zelda and I think they'd see a female Link as fundamentally not Link (hence Linkle's existence) and a male or even an adventuring Zelda as fundamentally not Zelda. Maybe that's also why any time Zelda actually does any adventuring herself, it's either under an assumed identity where she uses her magic to masquerade as a man (Sheik) or because she doesn't know she's Zelda (Tetra).

I'd also be cool with a game where you play as Zelda doing Zelda things, rather than just making her play like Link. Have a heavier focus on ranged combat--her main weapon could be a bow instead of a sword, because it's not like she doesn't shoot a bow really often in Zelda games--and have her learn various magic spells instead of finding different tools and weapons. But I kind of doubt they'd ever make one of those.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

He dislikes all of them for various reasons, that the ones he like "do one or 2 things right" but still fall short of expectations.

I think part of it is that this is a series about research--he hasn't really reached a conclusion yet. He's intentionally picking apart what he thinks works and doesn't work in each individual dungeon and in each individual game's dungeon design. That approach can come across as more negative than it's intended to.

People in the comments were confused when, for example, he disliked the way Wind Waker made backtracking mindless (just open a door to dump you back to the room where you might've earlier noticed you need the item, or giving you the item right next to the room where you need it), but he liked the way Minish Cap gave you alternate, often shorter paths to make backtracking faster. The difference is that, in Minish Cap, they're paths, maybe a path you have to find, or a new path you can open with your new item and use your new item to traverse, while in Wind Waker (a game I otherwise love), it's significantly more immediate--get the item, get right to using the item to progress from the first place where you needed the item.

The goal is to have one big video about the series's dungeon design at the end and I think that's going to come across as a lot less critical, because he isn't going to be picking everything apart piece by piece but looking at the series as a whole.

He also names quite a few dungeons that hit what he's looking for. There are a few in Link's Awakening that he has very good things to say about (they're not perfect, and he mentions what makes them not perfect, but that doesn't mean he thinks they're bad); he adored the Water Temple; and he points out some "find the path" dungeons in Minish Cap that he really liked, too. Not to mention the occasional examples of linear dungeons that are still good, because not every dungeon needs to be the same (Hyrule Castle in Link to the Past, Temple of Time in Twilight Princess).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Sounds like you are overreacting to me criticizing his series a bit. I explained, he looked too far behind the curtain, and found everything more linear then he likes if you spend too much time analyzing it with graph paper. Which will kill any Zelda style dungeon, as proved by the series.

Isn't looking behind the curtain the whole point of a critical series on game design, though? The original goal was to take a look under the hood and see how the dungeons work. It's natural that the result is that the series is going to discuss and critique the patterns that emerge from that.

It's worth noting that just about every Zelda dungeon is truly linear--there's always only one path through. What he's doing is trying to figure out what separates the dungeons that he likes, the dungeons that let the player feel like they're figuring out the dungeon as a whole and exploring (even if the path is truly linear), from the dungeons he doesn't like as much, where it feels like you're figuring out individual rooms but the dungeon as a whole is just one obvious path.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

A major problem is that he's calling things flaws that are not inherently flawed or unintentional because he's missing the games are designed for large and varied crowds of all ages, and a lot of his criticism (including 'illusion of choice') are features, not bugs. Guiding the player is an important part of game design and having choice isn't always inherently a good thing. The fact that you're pointing at "Wind Waker instant drops you back at where you need to use the item" as a flaw or a problem with Wind Waker and not an intentional design decision to quickly emphasize to the player the use of their new tool is a big example of that.

He points out several times (especially in the Wind Waker and Minish Cap videos) that a lot of this is coming down to personal taste. He much prefers dungeons that let you feel like you're exploring, not like you're being guided; a lot of commenters on the videos disagree, because they don't like screwing around not knowing where to go and would rather get right to the puzzles and action.

But there's also no reason why the Wind Waker approach couldn't be interesting while also providing the player with additional guidance. What if, instead of, say, finding the bow in a room immediately adjacent to the room where you first need it, you find the bow, which opens up a short alternate path that you need to use the bow to traverse (which also serves as a little "how to use the bow" tutorial)? And at the end of that path, you're back in a room you recognize. You get to go, "Oh cool, I know where I am now! And I needed the bow a couple rooms from here," without having to backtrack through a ton of rooms you already did. And if you don't remember exactly where you needed the bow, you don't have to wander much to find it, either, because you're only a couple rooms away from it at most.

In the Minish Cap video, Mark Brown points out exactly that kind of thing: Minish Cap's dungeons tend to give you shortcuts after you find the dungeon's item, but what those shortcuts do is take you back to a room you've been to before and recognize, rather than taking you directly to the next room needed to progress. And he points that out as a very good thing, because it preserves some sense that the player is a pathfinder (you still have to remember where you saw a thing that you needed that item to get through) while also cutting out boring backtracking through rooms you already did (because the player is placed close to that room where they needed the item, if not directly in it). If the player noticed the thing they need the item for the first time through, they get to feel rewarded for remembering; if they didn't, then they don't have far to look.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because to some people that feels like a waste of time. Remember that tutorials/guideposts are not always a positive even if theoretically they should be. I personally think that is fine but there are people who have extremely negative responses to 'help rooms' for example. You have to figure out exactly who you're targeting and why you're targeting that while also maintaining the dungeon's pacing and feel. Obviously no Zelda is perfect but it also is that the games don't always have the same goal. Understand why they're making a decision is important.

But I'd wager a lot of those people would be even more annoyed by the situation Brown points out in the Forbidden Woods in Wind Waker, where you go through a room where it's obvious you're going to need the boomerang later, go far from that room to get the boomerang, and then it turns out you go through one door and you're back there. If you were observant enough to go, "Yep, I'm going to need to come back here with the boomerang, better remember that," and the game just goes, "Oh, don't worry about remembering things," isn't that just as disappointing as a couple of pseudo-tutorial rooms would be?

Plus, I'd much rather have a couple of rooms where you have to solve very simple boomerang-based puzzles to teach new players about what the boomerang does than several text boxes going, "You got the boomerang! You can use it to X!" and then you get to where you need to use it and your helper goes, "That looks like something you could hit with the boomerang! Give it a try!" Y'know? I mean you gotta teach new players how the item works somehow, and a couple of rooms that I'll find super easy because I already know how it works are going to annoy me a ton less than Helper NPC du Jour lecturing me about the item.

ImpAtom posted:

I think trying to discuss Zelda design with 'this is right/wrong' suffers because Zelda is too diverse a franchise to easily pidgeonhole. You can discuss, for example, Dark Souls design easier because Dark Souls is a much more focused game. Zelda is everything to everyone (or tries to be) and that leads to a lot more convoluted design decisions.

I guess I'm just not looking at the series's critiques through a "this is right, this is wrong" lens, but more of a, "Why do I like these dungeons better than these dungeons?" that sort of turns into, "Why do some dungeons let me feel like an explorer while others make me feel like I'm being led by a piece of string?", and eventually, "Okay, they're all linear, but why do some of them feel more interesting to explore?"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 19, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Agreed, the guys is after the feeling of "Oh I know where I can use this!" Which is cool, but theres

1.Backtracking through the dungeon same way you came - bad
2.Minish Cap new path backtracking - good
3.Wind Waker new path backtracking - bad

It seems like part of the design of Wind Waker does go against exploring, with the pots and sending you where you need go. But its still very subjective when you think "I need to get to that room with the vine flower." A new path takes you there and you think "Hell yeah, right where I wanted to go." he thinks "Aww you lead me right there. wtf" At most its a personal preference distinction.

Even backtracking the way you came can be good, at least in my opinion, as long as there's something new along the way when you go back. Like, if you go through a room you've been through before, but the path you took to get where you are is one-way--you couldn't go back. But the new item that you just got lets you go back, or reopen the path. That's cool by me--it gives me something new to do even though I've been to that room before. Basically, my criteria for good backtracking in a game like Zelda would be:

1. Reward the player for knowing how to get around the dungeon, but give them a way out if they don't. So, backtracking should take you to someplace you recognize, but not necessarily directly to the answer--you can reorient yourself, and if you don't immediately remember where you had to go, you don't have far to look.
2. Give the player something new to do on the way. Backtracking through the same rooms the same way is boring, I think most people agree on that. But a new path that serves as a shortcut, or a new way to get through the rooms you've already visited, makes backtracking significantly more interesting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the answer to what I, personally, want out of Zelda dungeon design is basically Link Between Worlds, really. Just looking at two Lorule dungeons, I think it does a great job of both less linear and more linear dungeons.

On the less linear end, you've got something like the Dark Palace. In the very first room, you're introduced to the dungeon's two main mechanics. First, you see a gap that you can't cross with a platform of a kind that you've seen move before, but it doesn't move. There's a switch you can hit, so you hit it, and it moves the platform immediately. But how do you make the platform move while you're on it? You set a bomb next to the switch, get on the platform before the bomb goes off, and then get ferried to the other side. So now you know there are times when you'll have to use a bomb to hit a switch after a delay. Then, you see two eyeball-shaped switches--one is open, with light shining on it from a window, and the other is closed, with a boarded up window above it. So you throw a bomb up to to destroy the boards, the light shines down and hits the eyeball, and the door opens leading you to the next room. Now you know that you need to shine light on the eyeball switches and you're going to need to blow things up to do it.

And that's it! That's everything you need to know in the dungeon, and from there you're free to explore and figure it out as one dungeon-sized puzzle. And you found out from a nice little tutorial room that doesn't hit you with text boxes, nor does it feel like it's wasting your time: you interact with the two main puzzle mechanics and, in doing so, understand how they work. For the rest of the dungeon, your job is to shine light down from the top floor to the bottom floor to hit six eyeball switches, and you do this by blowing up boards on windows, blowing holes in the floor, and going between different floors to access different sides of the top floor.

On the more linear end, there's the Thieves' Hideout. At first, there's not too much going on, other than it's a dungeon that makes some great use of switches to raise and lower platforms and requires you to merge into walls a whole lot. Eventually, you free the Thief Girl, but doing so blocks your previous path. Now you have to escort her out of the dungeon. You end up going through some of the rooms you've gone through before, but now you have to approach them differently, because you have two people who have to get through, and one of them can't turn into a moving painting on a wall. (As a side note, the boss of that dungeon is pretty fun, too, because you have to use your merge-into-walls power to merge into his shield and trick him into dropping his guard. And by the time that part of the fight gets predictable, he drops the shield and goes berserker on you, so you just have a straight-up fight to finish it off. I like how Link Between Worlds's bosses shift up their mechanics enough that they rarely make you feel like you have to repeat the same set of actions too many times.)

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm still confused over the why he dislikes WW for cutting out backtracking but likes Minish Cap for the same reason. The only real difference is that in MC you get the item halfway through the circle instead of at the end.

The difference is that in Wind Waker, it dumps you right to where you need the item (or gives you the item immediately after you first encounter something that might require you to use it), while in Minish Cap, it takes you to a room you recognize, but not directly to the room where you need to use the item. So:
  • In Wind Waker, an observant player might notice they needed the boomerang in Room A, but then they get guided straight to Room A after getting the boomerang, and it doesn't matter that they noticed earlier that they'd need it--they're never rewarded for being observant.
  • In Minish Cap, an observant player might notice they needed the boomerang in Room A, and after they get the boomerang, a shortcut takes them to Room B, which is another room they've been to before that's closer to Room A than where they got the boomerang. Now they can go, "Oh hey, I remember I needed the boomerang in Room A, I should head there" and feel a little bit like they figured something out for themselves. And if the player didn't notice or doesn't remember, they don't have far to look--they don't have to go combing through every room they've been to trying to find the next path. It's a good middle ground, basically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The more that I think about it, the more I think that Zelda dungeon design would be improved by just giving the player tools and items outside of the dungeons instead of inside of them. In Link Between Worlds, this leads to dungeons that get right to the stuff you actually want in the dungeon, right away: you want to use the dungeon's key item to solve puzzles, so boom, right from room one, let's do that, let's have a great time. It means that dungeons can be wide open from the start if they want to (like the Dark Palace) or immediately start building up from simple to more complex puzzles revolving around the central item(s).

I'm not saying every Zelda should have you rent or buy the items, either. A lot of the Zelda games have quests before you get into a dungeon, so just give you the item during that so you already have it when you get into the dungeon.

Electromax posted:

It's rare for games to make me feel clever for solving a puzzle. Occasionally stuff like Portal 2 and Silent Hill 3 gets there, but it's hard to design a good puzzle/dungeon to appeal to the lifelong adventurers that's still solvable for all skill levels.

I'm curious what Link Between Worlds would be like if it was someone's first Zelda game. As someone who's played a bunch of them, I think its puzzles hit a fantastic balance of being fun to solve without being frustrating to try to figure out, and most of the dungeons feel open enough that I feel rewarded for exploring without being big and directionless enough that I end up wandering around for an hour trying to figure out which path is the right one. But at the same time, I'm coming in basically knowing what every visual cue means right away.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 19, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know. I really like the feeling of getting a new item within a dungeon, it's like a gameplay reward for doing the level. You get a cool thing to play with both inside and outside of wherever you found it and it can open up a couple of possibilities for exploration. The dungeons in Link Between Worlds were really good and I loved that game but I did miss the feeling of completing a dungeon and then having something new to play with outside of it.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair. Really, both approaches could exist within the same game. Some dungeons could give you the item outside, and others inside, just depending on the dungeon, which would also be another tool to add diversity to dungeon layouts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Almost done with Link Between Worlds. I really love this game's dungeons. Well, Turtle Rock felt kind of like it was thrown together from a bunch of simple, disconnected mechanics and only basically had two nearly-identical rooms, but every other dungeon was good as hell. I haven't done the final one yet, so I hope it's just as fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well why not posted:

I think LBW has what amounts to Shrines in some caves, it's a really cool system. Rewards are usually rupees, which works in that game because it's so money-driven. BotW seems to have less focus on an economy, so I'm expecting rare foods and heart pieces being the main Shrine rewards.

there's been a lot of Monkey Paw discussion about Nintendo lately, and I realised the biggest one yet- windwaker. "It's a huge open ocean! Divided into a grid".

Yeah, LBW's little cave puzzles where you have to use your wall-merging to get around are awesome as hell.

Regarding Wind Waker's ocean, it's weird. Yeah, it's divided into a grid, but I never really feel that when I'm playing it, if only because the way things are laid out within each grid varies enough that I never feel too much like I'm just moving square-to-square. I think the only time I did feel that way was when I was tracking down every single map-drawing fish, but that's because I knew there was one per square and I literally was just going square-to-square.

I really do love Wind Waker so much. I know there was some consternation about the Boss Keys video that trashed Wind Waker's dungeon design, but I think people missed that a) Boss Keys is explicitly only about dungeon design, and b) he finishes up by saying that Wind Waker is still a good Zelda game, because Zelda games aren't only dungeons and Wind Waker has so much more going for it than that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The lack of dungeons actually makes me feel a little better about waiting a while before buying it instead of jumping on it right at launch. (Well, that, and the one-two punch of Nioh and Nier: Automata dropping within a couple weeks of each other, too.) I'm really curious to see what everyone's impression of the game is, how fun the open world is, if the dungeons are good and if the shrines are fun or repetitive, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Theres a BUNCH of other games launching near this, but Zelda gonna take precedence. Still skeptical about Nioh, I didn't like the demo as much as everyone else, but maybe I didn't find my right style or couldn't get the notsouls timing down. I have to be in the mood to jump into a soulslike, Im always in the mood for a Zelda.

Nier was loving fantastic though, that's a tough call...probably still Zelda

I'm prioritizing Nier and Nioh because I've already gotten to try them, basically, and I remain just a little bit skeptical about Breath of the Wild. I've played enough open world games where the open world is just time-wasting boredom that I want to wait and make sure that it's actually fun to explore before I dive right in. Plus, I want to see how the Wii U version looks compared to the Switch version on launch to see if I'll be able to stand playing with worse visuals and sound than I could if I waited to play until I get a Switch one day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Understandable, especially if you want to wait on the Switch until it has, you know, more then Zelda. I did demo both Nioh and Neir, Neir blew me away. Nioh, I couldn't get past the first group of 2 enemies.

I'm a huge Souls/Bloodborne fan and Nioh kicked my rear end a ton at first until I realized I had to treat it differently (basically, don't ever loving let an enemy see your back or you're going to get owned hard), then I started to have a lot of fun with it. I appreciate that it took some Souls elements but ended up making a game that plays very differently, rather than just mimicking almost everything (Lords of the Fallen).

And yeah, I definitely want to wait until the Switch has more than Zelda. Though if the Wii U version at least has decent colors and not the washed-out colors of the E3 demo (and doesn't have significantly worse framerate drops than the Switch version), I'll probably just get it on the Wii U so I don't end up waiting until like December or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Metro's preview makes it sound surprisingly simulationist and I'm kinda into that:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-hands-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/

quote:

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda. You also have a bow in Breath Of The Wild, but you have to account for how arrows arc through the air, rather than it just acting like a low-tech sniper rifle. Boomerangs have to be caught manually on their return and the best way to defeat the skeletons that appear at night is to chop of their head and punt it into a river, like a goalkeeper trying to make a clearance.

This is just the first five hours, and we still haven’t even mentioned the stealth (there’s an onscreen indicator to show how much sound you’re making) or the horse-riding where you have to catch horses yourself and tame them (by praising them when they do what you tell them). You can have five horses at a time that you keep in a stable, and each has their own unique stats and can be individually named.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well why not posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojsc6dg1sjE

here's gameplay from Polygon. He dies a bit, but doesn't seem to be actively lovely, just new at the game and loving around. Contains horse violence.

Did... did he use a boomerang as a melee weapon? That's pretty sweet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

So I need a list of horse names
So far I have
Freckles
Butterscotch
Cinnamon
Horseface
And uh that's it please advise

My friend who watched me play Skyrim back when it came out named the horse I was riding around on "Bucket" for some reason and she was very sad when Bucket got killed by a dragon, so now I name all my mounts Bucket in honor of that noble steed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At this point I'm just waiting for the Digital Foundry comparison between the Wii U and Switch versions. I'll be getting this ASAP if the Wii U version runs at a stable framerate and has better color saturation than it did at E3; otherwise, I'm enough of a graphics baby that I'll probably wait a few months until I get around to buying a Switch.

I'm not even sure which I'd rather be the case. Nier: Automata comes out a few days after Breath of the Wild and I'm gonna want to play that immediately, too. This is a ridiculous time full of good games, everyone.