Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wind Waker's art style was, no joke, the most recent revolutionary change for the Zelda series and an improvement in every conceivable way

Not gonna lie, I'd prefer Breath of the Wild to be closer to TWW style, but it already looks MUCH better than SS or TP - the goblins actually have a very distinct charm again :haw:
Love this. Can't wait for first impressions of boss fights + towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really hope BotW maintains the tradition of NPCs in Zelda games being weird as gently caress.

I hope you continue to meet weirdos in the most remote parts of the wildernis who do their own thing, like the awesome telescope dudes in TWW, or the various NPCs from Windfall Island who had their day jobs all over the map and returned to Windfall for getting drunk at night.

Did they say how they're going to handle towns? Will those be separate areas, or are they part of the overall world map? Because if they're integrated into the overworld, by the gods, I will find a way to kite an ancient robot of mass destruction right into the middle of it

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably because it didn't have major publicity until it was actually done and out the door.

I'm glad that the miracle of torrents makes every shared file effectively immortal

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The dungeons in Majora's Mask were loving excellent, with lots of neat puzzles, cool architecture, fun minibosses, a loooooooot of rewards for exploration and great bosses, so I'm not worried at all about a low "main" dungeon count
Not to mention each of them basically being the size of three OoT dungeons.

I hope they go all-out crazy with the dungeon gimmicks this time, ESPECIALLY in the supposed main dungeons. Basically, make each main dungeon as unique as Stonetower Temple, and put even crazier stuff into the 100 minidungeons. This is gonna be GOOD.

Biggest mysteries for me, so far: how they're gonna handle classic Zelda bosses (not huge wandering enemies, but actual boss encounters - you took so much from Shadow of the Colossus already, let's see you do the logical thing next, please), and what towns are gonna be like. I could live with lots of desolate landscape with few NPCs, and one central sidequest hell town like Windfall Island.

We don't know anything about horses / fast-travel yet, do we?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So some weird Legend of Zelda news today. Nintendo is partnering with Scrap to do a LoZ Escape room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxHSGPIxy8

http://scrapzelda.com/

Of course it's not coming reasonably close to me but for those of you close to the 8 cities it is coming to go have some fun with up to 6 people.

I'll just keep the first small key I get instead of using it up and break the puzzles in half

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure why Nintendo never revisited the concept. Maybe it's the initial backlash? Whatever the reason, I'm not sure they could ever recreate that one-of-a-kind atmosphere.

Like, seriously. A rather dense overworld with NPC schedules, time travel and loving with those schedules through various ways. Crank that up to eleven and you might not even need dungeons to have an amazing game. (Please never stop having dungeons.) Hell, I could see an entire game playing out like this in nothing but a town! Where's my Manipulate NPC Timelines For My Nefarious Purposes Simulator?!

Hire me Nintendo

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I loving love the camera. Made me go on a big ol' stupid safari through the grass lands, sneaking up on critters and taking photos of them in their natural habitat, before occasionally murdering them for food.
I'm just slightly miffed there's no benefit to taking pictures of characters. I mean, another Minitendo gallery, only this time with 40+ slots? YES PLEASE

This game is insane. I've only begun to scratch the surface, and I can't believe the level of detail and attention put into such a giant world. There's something inherently compelling about exploring a vast unexplored area where you're most definitely not fully equipped to be yet, with guardian lasers and magical sky-stepping fire wizards everywhere. I mean, I just stumbled across an absolutely giant Volvagia-style dragon just floating around, with my lovely 15 attack swords and an even shittier loser horse. Hahaha. This is like the combination of Majora's Mask and Wind Waker that I always wanted. And I didn't even get close to a single main dungeon yet!

Oh my god, I want to get a non-crap horse so bad, I hate my stupid uncontrollable hoofbeast, as soon as I get a better one I'm gonna try to kill and eat it

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oh my god, I just found the Horse Fairy.

:stare:

...I kinda wanna find out what it does if you intentionally kill your horse...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Smash ice blocks with Cryonis -> arrow to the eye -> beat up with sword(s)

Nonono

1. Destroy left and right ice block with arrows
2. Use Stasis on middle ice block
3. Pummel the gently caress out of ice block
4. Send ice block smashing into boss' stupid face
5. Laugh and laugh and laugh

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hahahaha

I just got to the thunderstorm swamp or something, one of the places I hadn't even been close to yet. To my surprise, the entire area was for a shrine quest: get four different orbs onto a high plateau while a constant thunderstorm rages in the area. Naturally, the walls are too high to just throw the orbs up there, so I was searching for other ways. I launched one of them on the plateau with Stasis, but just as I wanted to do the same for the other, a couple Stalfos pop up. I drop the orb, climb up the plateau...

...and one Stalfos picks up the orb and chucks it at me on the plateau :stare:

Uuuuuh, thanks for the assist dude, clearly your throwing game is much more refined than mine

I love this game. I seriously hope they go all-out with DLC for this one, you could pretty much expand it to infinity. If I could make a wish list, top priority for an expansion would probably be more complex enemy types on the level of Stalker Guardians and Lynels (like Darknuts! Where are those guys?), more mini bosses and varied bosses than the Blights, and more of those ridiculously awesome configurable puzzle dungeons. I wouldn't say no to a giant classic Zelda dungeon either, in the vein of Majora's Mask. In any case, some more variance for dungeons would be nice, because 100+ shrines are starting to get same-y.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I thought the bosses were mostly okay, but not really good. Thunderblight is definitely a highlight, as is Master Kohga (for me, at least). All others are kinda... meh. Certainly nothing breaking the Top 10 Zelda bosses or anything, although some do look pretty rad. The boss concepts themselves aren't anything special, although I do like that, for once, they don't take place in the same boring circular arena (...not that they do anything interesting with that). I'm also very disappointed that all the Blight enemies look extremely similar; I much preferred the colorful, very distinct landmark bosses of Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. On the other hand, there are some absolutely amazing, well-planned enemies that are always a blast to fight, like Lynels and Stalker Guardians; I wish there were more types like those. Again, I kinda hope the DLC delivers on that front. If Hard mode doesn't already do that, I'm hoping for some kind of Pit of Challenge area where eating in a fight is forbidden, where they go REALLY all-out with nasty encounters.

I'm projecting too much on the DLC. :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Message in a Bottle sidequest is seriously weird :stare:

Didn't expect to enable a pedophile fishfucker

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

120 Shrines. :kingsley:

Didn't find all of them legitimately, unfortunately; I couldn't find that stupid purple-eyed statue for that one shrine quest near Hateno, and some of the shrines in Hebra gave me trouble (that Shieka Sensor REALLY needs a height indicator). Otherwise, pretty fun stuff. Those puzzles are some of the very best the series has to offer. I'm a bit bummed out about those silly placeholder shrines that just have treasure and nothing else, and I would've liked more variation for the Test of Strength shrines - there's SO MUCH they could've done with challenge encounters! Like, disable eating entirely once the arena has been entered, impose special conditions or weather on the arena, put common enemies in there... This game really deserves a 100 Pit of Trials style cavern.

At this point, I'm pretty much convinced that Nintendo has stumbled upon a near-perfect template for Zelda. I seriously hope they pull a Super Mario Galaxy, and make the sequel with all-new material but almost identical mechanics (plus some QoL improvements, like better menu navigation and map handling, streamlined cooking + recipe book...). There's still SO MUCH they can do with this style of game! The whole concept of the Divine Beast itself is rad as hell, I'd love more of those configurable puzzle rooms (except, maybe, with more actual enemies + fights). Just gimme more Divine Beasts, pull several puzzle shrines together into actual dungeons with distinct themes, then have the rest with 50 or so shrines. Great stuff. Some more variety for miniboss enemies would be great too; I'm kinda tired of running into nothing but Hinox, Talus and Lynel, as fun as they are...

I really hope they make a sequel like that. Can take 4-5 years again, for all I care. Maybe DLC would even deliver on that, but I'd like more runes as well for additional physics fuckery!

Also, seriously Nintendo, why are the photos in the album only labelled once you highlight them, I can't tell from my poo poo photos what's actually supposed to be on there, this is annoying as hell

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FooF posted:

Not to mention if you do have to fight them, they do precisely what a "giant" would do:
  • Try to stomp on you
  • Try to swat you
  • Pick things up to throw at you
  • Use a tree as a club
  • Sit on you
  • Are slow to react and relatively easy to outmaneuver
  • Have a giant (ha) weakspot
  • Act like giant babies if hit in said weakspot
  • Wise up after awhile if you keep going after said weakspot

I hadn't put the whole "giant from a children's fable" together but you're absolutely right and its awesome.

It's kinda amazing how great all the miniboss enemies in Breath of the Wild are. Talus are fun, especially since they are the only (?) climbable enemy in the game; Modulga are fun, and they have probably the best music track in the entire game (!); Hinox are just plain fun to mess around with; that, and the skeletal variant too, which might as well count as its own variety. Not to mention Stalker Guardians and Lynels, which are some really scary and complex enemies that change how you approach your environment. I would buy DLC that's nothing but more boss types on the same level replacing several existing minibosses on the world map.

Strange how the actual bosses are pretty lame in comparison. They look too similar, and you can't mess around with them nearly as much...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

lifts cats over head posted:

I've not bought a video game in maybe five years and something compelled me to buy this game and a switch. Unfortunately I fear my expectations on any other games from now on will be exceedingly high. Oh well, no regrets.

This game should come with a warning - playing it will make you hypersensitive to invisible walls. Except for some convenience functions (which might come with the next DLC?), I feel like Zelda has basically become the new gold standard for open world games out of nowhere. There's exactly four invisible walls in the game, plus a few death planes, PERIOD

I'm playing Nier Automata right after this one and I'm basically going mad from all those giant inpenetrable gaps in buildings

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

I definitely had my funniest botw moment last night.

One of the things I like doing most in-game is getting really nice photos of everything in the Compendium: shots where the lighting, positioning, background, etc are perfect. I noticed that my current photo for "apple" was kind of poo poo, so as I played the game I looked for apples that photographed well. I checked some trees, but those don't photograph that well because they're usually covered in leaf and shadow branch shadows. I tried dropping apples on the ground, but it was difficult to have them land in the perfect spot or not roll away.

Later, exploring by horseback, I stumbled onto one of those line of frog statues where you have to offer apples: the lighting was absolutely perfect and the apples looked amazing in the baskets. I jumped off the horse, lined up my shot, repositioned the camera, zoomed in, said "perfect!" out loud. Then, one nanosecond before I hit the shutter button, the horse's head entered the frame and he ate the apple, then proceeded to walk down the line of statues all by himself and eat the apples at each.

Haha, that's what I've been doing too - getting the PERFECT photo for the lovely album. Half to get a good photo, half to actually recognize what the hell an entry stands for.

It keeps reminding me that there is no Minitendo Gallery, though :( Man, what I'd give for a little museum full of creature figurines, each with a silly little bit of trivia. I might ALMOST not mind having to track down the random wanderers all over the world. Gotta get a picture of meat man

...my favorite wanderer is the random fisherman from Lurein Village, who keeps getting beat up by bokoblins and then defiantly states that he'll never go back

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

By the way, someone ITT had mentioned consternation earlier over breaking a bunch of their weapons for a shrine-opening puzzle involving four balls outdoors in a thunderstorm.

The way to do the puzzle without breaking several weapons in the process is to: Leave a metal weapon on the ground beside the ball, Stasis the ball before lightning strikes the metal weapon. Smack or shoot the ball once more to correct its trajectory if needed.

It feels like a janky as hell method compared to bringing a couple hammers, but I'm positive it's the "legit" way of solving the puzzle without using up durability.

The game spawned several skeletons at night, and when I left an orb behind to retreat onto the plateau, the skeletons started throwing things at me - like the orb, for instance

Worked for all others outside the plateau as well :smuggo:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...goddammit. Turns out it's impossible to play the DLC on the standard 8GB Wii-U, since all updates together go well above the ~4gig or so actually available in storage.

I don't really feel like getting a new HDD just for an old dead console, but I don't really know what else I could do... Maybe I'll just get one, keep it around for all DLC until I'm done with the game, move everything to a reformatted USB stick, then reformat the HDD to use for something else. Just so that I don't feel like I'm spending waaaaaaay too much for this. :( Anybody knows of a better way to play the DLC?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Breath of the Wild isn't perfect, but its core concepts alone are so ridiculously good they could carry the whole game. I absolutely think this game should get the Majora's Mask/Mario Galaxy 2 treatment: largely reused assets and mechanics, but all new content and lots of refinements. It's encouraging just how much sheer potential this game has for improvements, despite being so darn good already.

Mostly, I think it comes down to a refined approach to dungeon integration, and improved boss fights. I'm gonna echo what other posters here said: it would be rad if dungeons weren't just in heremetically sealed shrines, separate from the entire world, but fully accessible caves. I'm imagining something like a minidungeon located directly underneath a small town, and the entire gimmick of that place is that the dungeon directly affects the NPC's lives (think Minish Cap or something). Or just more places like the labyrinths or the forgotten temple, those were great. Hyrule Castle already demonstrated how places like that could work on a bigger scale. Empty shrines purely there for the reward are also a big No. You could still mark those dungeons as a special area somehow, so that certain abilities are disabled. The big robo animal dungeons were a phenomenal idea - honestly, I wouldn't want to change a lot about them: just make 'em bigger, and give me some proper and varied enemies in there. It was a little lame that all you got to fight were robots and floating skeleton heads.

Boss fights in general are another point. I think the game missed a chance here to embrace the same philosophy evident elsewhere in the game. Why not have giant, unique bosses roam the landscape? Not just a grand total of four different miniboss types repeated over and over, but actual bosses requiring a unique approach. Bosses that require interaction with the world to defeat. Steal more ideas from Shadow of the Colossus. I would also appreciate a wider range of enemies on the level of Lynels: fast, hard-hitting, varied attacks rewarding timing and foresight, duel situations. In short: more grand bosses involving the overworld/environment, SotC style, and more duel-type bosses requiring more focused combat. Oh, and... Maybe bosses with more character next time. Fighting sludge torso techno spider Ganon in five variants plus one big fire pig is a little same-y. Wind Waker remains king of visually distinct bosses with tons of character :colbert:

If they put in anywhere close to the same effort, a Breath of the Wild 2 could be the best next Zelda anybody could hope for. Seriously. I fuckin love it

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FireMrshlBill posted:

I think the dungeons were really about solving the puzzle to take them over rather than fighting off a monster infestation. But maybe even more complex puzzles would be great, or even if they want the main puzzle for a dungeon to be only a certain difficulty for younger players, have some great optional item in the dungeon that requires you to solve an even harder puzzle. I really like the puzzles and boss battles that you solve like puzzles rather than fighting enemies that you just shoot or slash until they die.

Ya, I definitely think having giant enemies roaming the land would be cool (ala SOTC or even Xenoblade Chronicles style), where you avoid them until much later in the game when you are strong enough. They kind of did that with the Lynels, but having to use more strategy rather than dodge/shield block/break 2-3 weapons on them would by cool, make it more of a puzzle to beat them.

This game is still GOTY to me. Horizon is great, but other than resolution, it doesn't hold a candle to Zelda. Mario Odyssey looks great, but Zelda's open world and ability to interact and change the environment will top it IMO. This has been a great year for gaming.

Oh yes, the dungeons were definitely puzzle material foremost. And I love them for it. As big as the robo beasties are, they seem kinda small for an entire dungeon - until you discover just how much is hidden in there. Nonetheless I would really like more varied enemies to break up the awesome exploration/puzzle-solving/giant dungeon reconfiguration. Enemies as part of the dungeon as environment would be nice: not just single instances where you see enemies, IT'S FIGHT TIME, and then you continue what you actually wanted to, but rather enemies that force you to proceed in a smart way, or which are outright part of a puzzle. The Souls series was always pretty good about that one.

Not that there isn't a case to be made for Lynel-type enemies. There's some real frantic fun to be found in running all over the loving place while a Lynel tries slapping you from every direction, always looking for counters/updrafts/that goddamn lightning arrow attack/etc. In general, I think it would be great if more challenging enemy types like that were around, and you usually engage them on your terms. I really hope the DLC gives us Darknuts or something, they would be perfect as another duel type enemy...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The beasts were too aesthetically similar. This I declare.

Agreed

I want more though. Make them bigger and waaaaay crazier. Gimme the divine chihuaha, press buttons to have it carried away and eaten by a seagull

The concept itself is extremely my poo poo. Reminds me of other great dungeons that you could centrally configure in some way, taken to its logical conclusion. Give me a giant roboman where you can configure each limb individually. Program an at first invincible robo boss to use its new behaviour to advance. Control the gravity in a divine anteater in low orbit. Make all walls solid, gaseous or semi-permeable in one direction, and I mean ALL walls, I dunno make it a ghostship, that's technically not an animal I guess, but I'm spitballin here. Drag around a giant electrified wrecking ball via map, it's your new friend. Pick one of various moments as a dungeon explodes and freeze that time. Gimme more puzzle dungeon control on a dungeon-wide scale, the concept is GREAT.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Triskelli posted:

My fav BOTW experience was loving up the Thunder Plateau shrine quest. You’re supposed to stasis the orb on a distant pillar and knock it onto the platform. I picked it up and spent a half-hour trying to find where I could toss the orb up onto the platform. Not willing to give up, I started looking for something, anything that could help. And that’s when I noticed the wind.

I tried tying some octorok balloons to the orb, and watched the orb slowly rise into the air! ...but it went straight up and fell back down. I guess the wind was just for show. :smith:

Undeterred, I tried again with the balloons and hit the orb with arrows, which gave it ~just~ enough momentum to float over the lip of the platform. Simply magical :allears:

I can top that.

I did the same thing, searching for some place where I could throw the drat thing onto the plateau or something. But suddenly, there's skeletons everywhere. I get hit, drop the orb, and I scramble up the plateau to get away from the skeletons.

One skeleton promptly picks up the orb and throws it at me, onto the plateau. Those things have one hell of a throwing arm.

Thanks, skeleton

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

I think it's nearly guaranteed that we get a Majora's Mask-type sequel—meaning, a sequel spun off 100x faster than it's predecessor that uses the same engine.

Breath of the Wild is another Super Mario Galaxy situation.

Like, Nintendo, just give me the exact same engine, reuse poo poo like crazy, I don't care. As long as it's all-new content, I will buy it and I will love it. And it gives them an excellent excuse to fiddle around with the formula some more. I'd love to see a greater variety in enemies and bosses. Less samey-looking shadow beasts, more themed dungeons and weird, distinct bosses. And I'd ESPECIALLY love a great deal more duel-type enemies, like the Lynels, which really force you to engage with the mechanics, those are crazy fun. Where's the Darknuts at

I would happily forsake a lot of the shrines for more coherent mini dungeons that are actually contained on the world map, too.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Thank you for reading my fan fiction, please do not steal by Gatos Y Vatos grade 8

Too late. It's mine now. Phoning Miyamoto IRL

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just gimme some rad fight episode with Ganon ala S2E7 in Castlevania and the whole thing cannot fail

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the ability to wolf down thousands of apples/buffs/spare ribs or whatever at a moment's notice; it makes the game's difficulty a joke when you engage in any preparation whatsoever. But that's okay, since this is not meant to be a super difficult game, and this is an easy challenge to impose on yourself: just don't eat food while enemies are fighting you or still on alert. I would've loved that restriction for master mode, along with much milder regeneration. I feel like the game truly shines when combining environmental damage with abilities and classic sword-fightin', so it kinda sucks when master mode effectively disables that strategy against tougher enemies. No use in dropping trees on silver bokoblins when you cannot hope to outdamage their regeneration that way.

When we (hopefully) get a Majora's Mask type of affair for the next Zelda, I really hope they just go crazy and up the enemy variety even more. Not just versatile all-terrain enemies to include in generic enemy camps, but also elite duel enemies like Lynels (hello, Darknuts?) and minibosses. I don't even need any new mechanics. Just gimme, like, one new rune or something, and otherwise only new content. Please, this is a Mario Galaxy situation, I just want THE SAME BUT MORE OF IT

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm not a huge fan of the additional DLC content; there's a lot of content that's just recycled assets and maps. That's kind of a problem with the game overall, really: there's a huge number of shrine dungeons, but they look quite similar to each other. With the sheer number of them, it's hard to overlook. As much as I like the master sword trials and the new divine beast + boss - if that's what would be in store for more DLC, I'd rather have a Breath of the Wild 2. :colbert:

Especially since then I can just buy it on Switch and put the Wii U back into the cellar

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Quicksilver6 posted:

I got this game as a Christmas gift and have been playing it obsessively but I have one burning question.

Is Nabooris a camel or dromedary, I can’t remember which one is which

It's a camel

You're welcome

Hoping for ostrich, whale, mole and snake in Breath of the Wild 2

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Fact is, the standards and expectations for the next "big" Zelda got raised into the sky by this game. Nintendo would be really, really stupid to not capitalize on the goodwill it got them and deliver another half-finished mess like Twilight Princess

... :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Holy fuuuuuccccck

Breath of the Wild 2 needs nastier enemy types and more challenge arenas, that engine supports awesome carnage even without fun environment stuff

You just need the right enemies, aaaaaaaaah where's the Darknuts Nintendo

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Give me Darknuts and give me the Hookshot

Actually, I could understand the developer's reasoning for not including the hookshot very well

It's a game about climbing... Just using the same hookshot we had all this time, but making it usable on any surface, seems too much. And seriously, BotW tore down so many limitations, why should a hookshot be limited to wood? The tool just seems to make the normal main mechanics almost obsolete, which would be a shame. It would be an incredible postgame item, though.

I would like more mobility options in a future entry in general. Just none that disrupt the basic idea of climbing all over nature. Something like a grappling hook that actually needs protrusions to latch onto. A one-time extra-large jump, which you can use if you're impatient or during especially tricky climbing sessions (The Legend of Zelda: Bouldering on the Wall). A high-speed dash similar to Metroid, needs a running start and is loud as hell, but useful for a first jump and travelling.

That, and more complex enemies like Lynels

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

And More posted:

I’d like to dive properly or to shrink like in Minish Cap.

Screw that, do what Minish Cap was too cowardly to do and go all-in on the shrinking mechanic

A Zelda game located in one town, and one town only. Minish Cap as gently caress, with ridiculous puzzles all over the place where you have to rearrange people's tea sets and battle their cats to have the platforms for walking through as tiny link, raiding tiny people's houses in the process. An entire town of nothing but intricate miniature puzzles. You're basically an obsessive god hovering over the actual game world, rearranging and harassing as you see fit. Like Hyrule Town from Minish Cap, only larger and even more intricate. An entire dungeon located in a wall clock, you fight a mechanical cuckoo inside. An old dog's matted fur becomes a dungeon. Spike a moustachio'd man's drink so that he snores on the bar, so that you can use his mustache to climb over. Make an entire dungeon an inventory item you can carry around, and throw it in water / set in on fire to change the entire inside. Find the Minisher Cap and shrink even more.

Minish Cap was incredibly good, is what I'm saying

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Smol posted:

Wait what’s there’s a fifth divine beast? :staredog:

Edit: And now I have a... bike? 🤔

You do indeed

Have fun travelling faster than the game can load new zones

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kaysette posted:

n64 games have not aged well. best to leave that nostalgia in my head and not try to replay them without remastering.

Depends on the game, if you ask me - it's very much a style thing

Honestly, OoT and MM look like garbage today, although MM has an edge since it's much weirder and stylish in general

But then there's games like Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie or Paper Mario, which look pretty great despite the janky mess of sharp-cornered textures that is any given N64 scene. Might just be because those are especially stylish/cartoony/wobbly

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I liked Ganon as a monstrous, spiteful force of nature, but I did not like fighting similar Ganon copies five times

I hope we get more amazing dungeons in the vein of Hyrule Castle, and just more stuff in general. More enemy types on the level of Lynels, for instance. Not sure how they'd do it, but I would also like an entirely different overworld, not a reused map. Just have Zelda fall into the earth and reappear in an upside-down continent where gravity works in reverse. Bam, instant Lorule.

Oh, and playing as Zelda would be rad, at least as an option or something

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Grappling hook seems way cooler than the hookshot. Give me those cool rope physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

FooF posted:

I know this isn't the Metroid thread but drat if Metroid of the Wild isn't the game I always needed but didn't know. An open world, 3rd-person Samus where you shoot, explore, use the morph ball to get into tight places, use your ship to warp around on the overworld (and have the Speed Booster to cover intermediate distances and Shinespark over big chasms)...God the possibilities.

Zelda pulled it off by offering a bunch of incredibly versatile tools, removing common movement limitations like being able to climb anywhere, and having a generally extremely open world design. All coupled with classic Zelda mechanics. Doing the equivalent thing for the Metroid series would be magical and perfect for a series based around isolated exploration of hostile environments and murder of local wildlife

What I'm saying is

Give me the ability to destroy almost any sort of terrain, with bedrock/lava/water/artificial structures as limit. Central tool is some sort of excavation beam that destroys terrain, but only stuns hostile creatures. World is mostly caves, creatures are designed to traverse almost any terrain / tunnel through, a lot in the world depends on opening up connections between caves: exposing places to sunlight, flooding places, herding super predators into hives of smaller enemies, gas expansions, and so on

Would be cool