Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Maybe the comparisons to Skyrim are more accurate that we once thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sharrrk posted:

its really weird seeing ragdolling in a nintendo game

Metroid Prime had ragdolling and for some reason the concept of ragdolls in video games blew my mind in 2002 when I first played it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Trent posted:

They have nice water.

Water so nice I documented every Wii U game with water on Miiverse.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I agree, but if people consider linearity to be a good thing, why are they so hyped about this open-world game?

You can do both linearity and non-linearity very well and very horrendously. For every well-designed linear path that gives the sense of exploration and a strong feeling of progress, there's ten games consisting of straight hallways filled with cutscenes. For every open world with many unique locations to explore and stories to engage in, there's ten games with a needlessly pointless overworld that gives the player no sense of progression or direction.

It's not mutually exclude to like either.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Silver Falcon posted:

Skyward Sword's biggest sin is you can't name your bird.

You're supposed to have this really deep special bond with your bird and it doesn't even have a name. I called mine Kazooie.

Not only can you not name your bird.

It doesn't even have a name.

Oops. I can't read.

For all its flaws, I like Skyward Sword and its motion controls. Which, from what I've heard, IS its biggest flaw. So if you can like that, you have a great game, apparently. Is there anything else people didn't like about Skyward Sword? Besides Fi, of course.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I really like Twilight Princess. I don't think there's a single Legend of Zelda game I felt I didn't enjoy, but out of all of them I wouldn't say Twilight Princess is the worst. I had the most fun with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker out of any Zelda game, including over older 2D and N64 ones just because Twilight Princess, for all its whacky flaws like a weird story, bizarre character design, obviously rushed latter third, and very blatant attempts to make the series seem "dark," Twilight Princess just did a lot of things that feel good. Being able to flail your sword around, how fluidly Epona runs, and it actually felt somewhat more challenging in some moments, although that isn't saying much given the series.

Actually, what would you say is the most difficult Zelda game? Because I can't think of any that felt particularly difficult.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kfroog posted:

Did you play either of the NES ones?

I played both when I was a kid and I don't remember struggling. But then again I was a kid, so I could've been stuck in a wall for an hour and still think I was winning at the game.

I do hear people say Zelda II is super-tough so I might go back and revisit it again. All I remember is a lot of the puzzles in it, along with the first Zelda, don't tend to make a lot of sense.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
One of my favorite cut ideas from Wind Waker that we never get to see wasn't dungeons, it was Link aging from a child to a young adult over the course of the story. As in, just because the storyline simply took place over the course of years without using time travel nonsense a la Ocarina of Time. It would've been interesting watch characters also age and change with the story. The closest thing we got to that was the rich and poor family on Outset Isle swapped places, and even just that was really cool.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Waltzing Along posted:

How so? I have never played one. Don't you play the POTUS who also is a mafia leader battling aliens? Something like that?

In Saints Row 4 you walk up to people a push a button to romance them immediately.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
It took me a very long time to register that this is the first Zelda game with complete voice acting.

And before you say anything, the first Zelda game made by Nintendo with complete voice acting.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
After about 40 hours in I decided to ditch my first playthrough in favor of Master Mode, and it's been a ton of fun so far. The first bit of gameplay is mostly stealthing and running for my life but you get so many good weapons almost consistently with every chest. It reminds me a lot of a lot of Platinum/Clover games' hardest difficulty where enemies die in just a few hits but you do as well.

It makes combat a lot more fun, especially how enemies seem to stumble less. It helped me also realize that dodging is consistent regardless of camera direction; that is pushing back and jump always does a backflip which was screwing me up before because I thought it was relative. Also a weird change is that Guardians will randomly hold their fire so you can't reliably perfect parry their beams, which is fine because it felt like cheesing to just fearlessly run at them because I had a shield before. I haven't found much to complain about so far in Master Mode, but I have to say I'm not looking forward to the Master Sword challenge dungeon since Eventide was nail-bitingly horrifying.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

maltesh posted:

I haven't played Master Mode, but I believe it's normal; On the same profile, your regular-mode photos carry over to your Master Mode save, and vice-versa.

I don't have a single thing in Master Mode that transferred from normal. Master Mode is just a completely separate thing.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Master Mode doesn't translate very well in the Master Sword challenge dungeon. Which is weird because it's part of the same DLC.

The most offensive room in particular is floor 10 of the very first challenge, it's the hardest room of the entire challenge in my opinion. You start off immediately getting caught because of the extended view range of monsters when it isn't an issue on any other floor, and then there's so much water and so little land that the only enemies you fight (two silver Lizalfos and one blue one) will constantly flop into the water (or dodge into it), then regen all their health before they get back.

I had to cheese it pretty hard by using a dragon horn to make a 30 minute attack boosting potion, saving all my good stuff specifically for it, and mag dumping all my arrows into them. Even then I set up a barricade using the magnetic boxes so they'd stop falling in. It's all just because the design makes it impossible to stop them from falling in the water over and over and then they undo all your work via regen.

Every other room is fun, this one is just awful.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Eventide is nerve wracking in master mode and I somewhat disliked it because it turned into Benny Hill simulator where I'm desperately running around the island grabbing the balls and dropping them into the shrines as a horde of angry blue and black bokoblins chase me.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

What did this used to be? It's down now.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The Bloop posted:

I guess I just don't get walking on by in a Zelda game. Investigate things!!

I didn't learn about the triple tree puzzles until pretty late, but all the other stuff... How do you see a glowing pinwheel and not investigate?

Oh man, I was wondering why there were triple trees everywhere. I figured they were involved with Korroks but I had no idea how to solve them.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The Korok things where it produces a ring of glowing spheres at a long distance away with a timer clicking down always produces the same reaction from me: "gently caress that".

Those I'm fine with.

It's the ones that move even farther away when you get closer to them I'm not.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Chieves posted:

Finally beat all the sword trials!

They definitely got easier with each passing difficulty. Finding ancient arrows really trivialized those Lynel floors. I'm surprised the game considers the guardian stalkers to be the real "endgame enemy" during the trials. Their patterns are much more prone to abuse than the Lynels.

I actually didn't even know ancient arrows are just a delete button for enemies until the very last floor of the master trial. I just got to the final floor, panicked, and shot a lynel out of sheer desperation and then about a minute later asked "wait, where did he go?"

It uh, would've been nice to have known for that for the last few floors where I just took out the lynels the old fashioned way. With arrow headshots and stasis+ abuse.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Spergatory posted:

I headshot all animals with fire arrows because steaks are delicious, and the only reason I do not kill horses is because you can't eat them. :btroll:

I freeze horses with arrows so I don't have to bother chasing them, and I make sure to run over foxes because they sound like deflating balloons. I may not be a very good hero.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

bef posted:

How do you kill the 2 white lizalfos on beginner trial on the circular pier?? I smack them and they fall off and regen all their health - very annoying!! Arrows do naught

Stasis the blue one and snipe it with arrows before it sounds the alarm. Sneak attack one then chain it via standing in the opposite direction you did the sneak attack hit and hitting them as they turn around.

Otherwise, cancel the final hits of your combos with a dodge so they don't get knocked in the water. If they do, god help you and start spamming arrows so they don't regen because it's only going to be downhill from there.

If you get the chance, magnesis the steel crates and use cryosis to make a barricade around the water so they stop falling in.

Also try your best to save your arrows for that very room. Take every opportunity to save arrows. Get a dragon horn and make a x3 attack bonus food which lasts half an hour and eat it before you start the trial. It's hands-down the hardest room in all three of the trials on master mode, nothing even compares.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Momomo posted:

I found it weird they gave us four significant new characters in each region, but still used the spirits of the champions to control the mechs. Surely it would have made more narrative sense to use the new people for that.

On another note, did the Rito section seem underwhelming to anyone else? All the other areas had loads of character, and you got a good idea of how their societies lived, but the Rito section seemed really short. You just go to the chief, he guides you to Birdman (Whatever his name was), he gives you a stupidly easy test, and you just immediately go to fighting the boss.

The Rito area really feels like it's supposed to be the player's introduction to the main village quests. While the Zoras have people outright pointing you to the domain, even I was curious about the giant flying bird I saw all the way in the tutorial area. It's also not a dangerous trek, the guy's test is like a tutorial for the bow and arrow bullet time, and the Rito armor lets you resist the most common environmental hazard. It might be designed so that new players aren't overwhelmed with the sheer scale of the village, but it's still a little underwhelming versus the rest of the villages.

I don't think I would've liked the new characters piloting the mechs, though. While the idea's pretty novel, it's much more cathartic having the spirits complete the job they died doing. But it would've been nice if they contributed more after their village line was complete.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

ugh master mode trial of the sword, I definitely am not talented enough to take this on with 9 hearts.

If you're insistent on getting it before you find some shrines, respec your stamina into hearts, buff your vitality before going in, and make an attack+3 30:00 meal using a dragon horn right before going in, it'll carry you until the lizalfos water room.

The first challenge is by far the absolute hardest, the second and third don't compare.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Crawfish posted:

I can't shield parry anything for poo poo in this game, but I got the dodge timing for most of the non club lynel attacks down pretty well.

Whenever I need some Lynel ingredients, I just put on the Attack up Armor set, grab two or three two handed swords and dodge flurry the hell out of them.

Duders are actually really fun to fight when you can dodge most of their bullshit.

Compared to just dodging, a shield parry is a massive risk for very little reward. With dodging if you screw up you can still potentially evade the attack by just the fact that you moved away and flurry rush is really powerful. With a shield parry the timing is very tight and missing it is assuredly going to wind up in you either getting hit or your shield destroyed, all in exchange for at most a free hit if your enemy didn't stagger back.

It is pretty valuable to use shield parry for guardian beams and other projectiles, though. That is, if it's even worth reflecting since versus lynels the best you can hope for is reflecting either their fireballs or their arrows, both of which do piddly amounts of damage against themselves. Other than that, the best a shield is for against a lynel is insurance in case you miss an arrow headshot and your stasis against an attack you can't easily dodge.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ok, beat all shrines. Gonna try to get this Master Mode Trial of the Sword done. seems like it's best to make a long +3 attack elixer rather than go for defense? And if so...what's a good recipe, I have spare dragon parts to mix with

At a certain point in Master Mode, especially in the trials, the issue isn't getting hit (eventually you just stop), it's that enemies won't die fast enough. To get a 30-minute attack meal (dragon parts are cooked as food instead of potions for some reason), you just need a dragon horn and 3-4 attack buffing items like the attack fish, mighty bananas, and damage thistle thingy. Save immediately before you do the trial, then eat your attack buff and max your vitality (and stamina if you want) and all three bonuses will be carried with you into the challenge.

The first challenge is by far the hardest, but take it easy once you're past the lizalfos water room; pretty much the main purpose of the attack buff for the Master Trials 1 is so you survive that room and that room alone. Save your arrows almost exclusively for this room and don't be afraid to arrow dump if they fall in the water as well, you need them dead as soon as possible so they don't heal and while the next few rooms require arrows, you'll find them lying around.

RCarr posted:

Can't you just eat some food every 30 seconds or so?

You can't bring anything into the Master Trials but you can eat right before them.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Regy Rusty posted:

Playing in master mode will do the opposite of motivating you to keep playing

Not playing Master Mode did the opposite of motivating me to keep playing. The combat is fun and most every addition to it is for the better, but the Master Mode Master Sword challenge is not.

That being said Master Mode is definitely only for when you're very confident in your abilities. Don't start the game with next to no experience in Master Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

alf_pogs posted:

do you get anything for completing master mode, outside of PERSONAL GLORY?

Nope. Well I mean you get a fancy red loading screen. That's kind of cool.