Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I think there are already enough Zeldas with time travel but it's such a staple of the series, I wouldn't be surprised if it returned in this game.

I haven't seen all of the minute to minute demo content, how does Link get the Champion Shirt (the blue one from the original trailer)?

e: I loved the stamina gauge in SS and how it changed your thinking about approaching a fight, so glad it's back.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really hope BotW maintains the tradition of NPCs in Zelda games being weird as gently caress.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I can't say for sure yet if I'll want this game for Wii U or NX. I think it depends on if the NX version makes use of an interesting new controller type. I hope it's super weird and actually a donut, or that horseshoe from a patent a couple years ago. Along with breaking the traditions of their biggest franchises, I want Nintendo to keep messing with wacky hardware and interaction methods.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Has it been said what is stopping Link from just climbing down the side of the Great Plateau?

I do think it's kind of novel to create a zone boundary the way they have; it's not magic, it's not lock and key, it's not a real wall or an invisible code wall or a pit of spikes or a moat of poison... it's just the plain, matter of fact obstacle of being too high up on a landmass. Pretty neat.

My guess is the plateau height is too tall for the duration of your initial stamina level? I wonder how far down you could climb while also letting go for little drops in between.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

George Lazenby posted:

I think there's a big bottomles pit/moat thing surrounding the plateau, so if you try to climb or jump down you'll just fall into the void

Aw.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Dexie posted:

I'm pretty sure someone during the Treehouse streams said you can jump off as soon as you get the paraglider if you want.

Oh yeah, I caught that. I was just thinking about before you get the paraglider.

Related: paraglider is cool.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Mountain creature looks like some kind of leggy squareman, floating island thing shaped like a jumbo jet... I wonder if these are more examples of left behind Sheika technology.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I could easily see Nintendo creating a fourth timeline path with this game. If they're on board with how wacky it is to have three, I buy that they may keep pushing it.

Case in point: the timeline features alternate paths where characters directly change events, a la Terminator / Dragonball Z, but it also has just straight up parallel universes that exist without story evidence (OOT Link can succeed or fail). So it's already no holds barred.

e: I say this as someone who doesn't have a lot of vested interest in timeline coherence, just saying I think it's already pretty silly and will probably become even more silly.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 25, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah Child Link tattles on Ganondorf. I think I read somewhere that what follows is the flashback in TP: his sentencing by the sages and banishment to the Twilight Realm

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Interesting detail, someone noticed the BotW Koroks seem to be lifted straight from Wind Waker, at least in appearance.

We've seen four so far, and they match four from the original crew (mask design and body shape).

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Are you on Epona?

:laffo:

Willing to bet someone, somewhere, has succeeded on foot.

Backflip + bunny hood??

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I read that you can win with a different horse, but you're still rewarded with Epona.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I've been having fun looking at the older overworld map, from the 2014 Game Awards vid of Miyamoto and Aonuma investigating a beacon. Like someone else in the thread mentioned, the Great Plateau fits in nicely, and the boundaries of undiscovered zones match the older map's features. So if there was significant overhaul to the game, evidence suggests that the geography was kept relatively intact.

Spoilered but extremely vague talk about area locations, if some don't want to know:
There is a lot of telling detail so far, because of 1.) E3 footage of stuff in the distance, as well as players tossing out beacons and 2.) topographic info in the 2014 map. From the plateau you can actually see many of the major mountains spread around the outer edges of the full map.

I'm not saying all secrets are revealed. There are still areas hidden while viewing from the plateau (such as the southwest corner, land behind the split mountain, both coasts, and "skull" lake if it still exists). And obviously no up close detail is visible. I just think it's interesting that you begin the game with line of sight to a large proportion of the game world. Makes sense given how much Nintendo wants to encourage non-linear exploration. I wanna visit the tall red cliffs west of the plateau and see if that weird circular pit is still in the game. I can't stop imagining a cool hidden village or a boss fight like the gecko in Shadow of the Colossus.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I maintain SS should be held up because of how many ways it experimented with motion controls. But I totally would have given up if I hadn't already heard this forum's mantra for the game:

code:

KEEP
CALM
AND
RE-CENTER

I waggled conservatively but frequently had trouble registering the right motion. And I loved Da Bird but found precise, sharp turns were impossible. It was also really hard to tell how close you were to something in front of you. So for me, both of the above issues meant target training and the subsequent Levias battle were both slogs.

I also thought the Ghirahim fights were impenetrable. That's mainly because the attack "recipe" wasn't explained clearly at all. I had to Google it. Maybe in-game, the original Japanese text made it more comprehensible.

I will concede to keeping my living room in low light (ceiling lights are gross and destroy the nuances of certain spaces). Probably would have helped me to have the room evenly lit so the sensor bar and remote could talk easier.

But again, I appreciate that it seems the dev team wanted to push the limits of motion controls. One thing I think is really dissonant is a general internet consensus of "Nintendo needs to stop doing the same old thing... unless it's motion controls!" It's really shortsighted to think that the failures are permanent, or that 2 generations of motion experimentation haven't given the company SOME inspiration and knowledge to make better, more fun games, whether they're motion control or not.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 24, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I think it would be cool if the voice was from the past, like Link was hearing it just after starting to drift off. No fancy telepathy, just someone who failed to stir him in time, so he wakes up 100 years later.

He eventually has to spar with (Fallout 4 spoilers) Old Man, who turns out to be his son Shaun. Shaun was just a tiny baby when Link went to sleep, and now he's a misanthropic scientist wizard bent on coldly administering eugenics experiments on the dwindling populace of Hyrule. Regardless, Link's elf wife, who tried to save him from the cryo-jacuzzi, is long gone. At the height of a dramatic battle with Shaun, Link jumps from a ledge and tears his paraglider on a tree. Inspecting the damage, he sees the glider skin clearly for the first time. It's patched together with what looks like an old law degree...

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 24, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Confession time:

I've never beaten Zelda 1. My mom got an NES for Christmas when I was a little kid, and the first two Zeldas were her domain. I mostly just watched. I remember playing a bit myself and thought the LOZ graveyard was 2spooky.

Mom gave up on Zelda 2, and on all video games, when her save data went corrupt during the last palace. She lost all progress.

To this day she still giggles at the name "Rauru," though.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Where did the mention of four main dungeons come from? The Gamexplain vid is the first time I've heard about it.

Still excited as hell for this game.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Shrine count isn't a rumor, though, Nintendo people talked about it at E3. Not trying to be pedantic, just curious.

e: or did you mean there was a mini-dungeon rumor even before E3?

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

romanowski posted:

you should probably move your sensor bar out of sunlight because the only way you could possibly have any trouble with that section is if you're getting some kind of interference that's messing up the controls

This, but also check your strategy, op. You should primarily be focused on any pterodactyls. Kill them as they appear. Everything else is secondary. gently caress up the bokoblin riders if you're near them, but only enough to get away. Don't linger and try to take them all.

Sensor bar issues aside, you're not wrong if you think TP's Epona controls are kinda wonky.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I would enjoy a dwindling populace of weird hermits in caves. BUT I also want to see Zelda finally do a crazy bustling town, similar to and more fleshed out than TP Castle Town but not on rails. Like you fall down a hole after braving some abandoned, desolate part of wilderness and then BAM, underground metropolis.

Really curious about what direction character design will go in. Link is fairly reserved in style, if a little muppet-y. His face is definitely not Disney like SS Link and much plainer than TP.

The features of Old Man and the monks are definitely exaggerated and much more cartoony. So I wonder what the exact spectrum will look like.

I'm a little bummed that we might never see a style like WW again, outside of handheld games. The chibi designs were really nuanced in terms of anatomy and movement and seemed to have been influenced by African sculpture.

While I like the other Zelda styles, I still think WW is unparalleled in terms of cohesive art direction that really elevated the gameplay.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

s.i.r.e. posted:

Have we seen Link wearing anything else?

So far:

-sheikah shorts
-tan shirt/brown pants
-champion shirt (blue shirt from promotional material)
-quilted shirt (green shirt with undershirt)
-knight armor
-samurai outfit and top-knot hairdo
-jedi hood

Probably missing some.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm really hoping there's throw-back outfits for Link so we can look like Link from any other Zelda.

Triforce Heroes cheerleader outfit :colbert:

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 6, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Yo s.i.r.e. here's a blog post that shows the samurai outfit. It may be a little more interpretable in motion though. Video can be found in the link at the start of the article.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

pentyne posted:

Each region might have a distinct "culture" that is reflected in the way the armor and weapons look and their availability.

- Hyrule proper: classic Western knight, plate male, metal angular shields, longswords, short cut hair
- Gerudo: Arabian/Arabic styles, sabers, scimitars, smaller shields, more cloth and less metal armor, long hair and braids
- Snowpeak: Viking influence, Axes, maces, circular shields, mohawks & tattoos
- Coastal area: Asian/Japanese influence, katanas, daggers, top-knot style.

This would be rad.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Calaveron posted:

The dungeon also sucks because it's so small and it's the same five rooms and even with the time travelling mechanic it's repetitive as hell.

Yeah even the better SS dungeons had weird repetitive backtracking issues. I can't quite put my finger on it but the task flow was just off much of the time. Not that it should be linear instead, just that it was often real awkward. And rooms that didn't feel well proportioned to your character model; parts of Skyview felt so cramped in an annoying way, as if it didn't match your walk gait or your jump distance. However the blue lighting in there was so gorgeous so I forgive the place.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Stamina gauge mechanic yes, climb most wall surfaces mechanic no.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
My personal speculation is that Wind Waker characters are chibi + african sculpture, while TP borrows from Tim Burton. At least for supporting characters. Ugly on purpose, for sure.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Cool! For some reason I never expected them to make more besides the two Skyward Sword Links and the LBW Link. Guess they've made enough profit to do more. And probably has to do with the TP HD release. It would be cool if the trend continued and they tackled other games; I'd love a good Wind Waker Link (the "nendoroid" version is a little weird).

Surprised there's a Zelda this time around, too. I imagine the further you stray from a series' most iconic character, you end up dividing a niche market further and further and it stops being worth it to produce. I'll remain cautiously pessimistic about ever getting a Dampe toy.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah if Nintendo went the route of Lorule Link and Lorule Zelda, Yuga is likely just Lorule Ganondorf.

Who is Lorule Demise? I like to think he's some sort of T-Rex with sunglasses.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Actually, fanart of various Lorule Counterparts would be cool to see.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I could see that. "Spend 3 orbs now for X item, OR hold out until you have 5 orbs and get a different/stronger item."

That would be good if the tradeoffs were balanced, like sacrifice defense for more magic strength, etc.

Do you think it would be for non-breakable things? Might be weird if you invest time and effort to save up for a weapon or something that wears out like everything else.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wonder if that was ever the initial plan from the outset but they scrapped it.

This is how the upgrade system works, with the little shell duders.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Okay I'll be on board as long as Douglo has some weird eye or haircut and goes on strange tangents about his life outside work.

Solve the deku scrub infestation inside his hot air balloon and then you can get discounted prices on item repairs. Plus a lapel pin in the shape of his face.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
^^^
yeahhhh I'm gonna mainline that poo poo, it's pure Zelda

You got 5 minutes to paraglide some hot soup to his brother Muglo or else the spices lose flavor.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 3, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Oh oh yeah. That would be neat to see again. When it's the basis of a game like "learn the origin of Link's SWORD or his HAT" it kinda falls flat. I don't care why his clothing is green.

I'm not sure why, but it definitely works better as little self-contained story vignettes like "I'm a kid and I'm too sick to catch bugs, borrow my net for a bit so I can play outside vicariously."

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Rama of Ra posted:

Some ideas like allowing me to keep moving while aiming things like the boomerang or grappling hook are huge QOL improvements. I haven't played WW since it came out and it's really surprising me how much more refined movements feel compared to TP.

It was so bad I stopped using Epona.

The way they spoke about Epona in a BOTW demo a couple years ago, it seems like they've been thinking hard how to make her controls better.

e:
Guys I am starving for info. Super excited to Climb Everything in the new game. I wonder if there will be some sort of battle that makes use of it, like with the machine man on the volcano or something.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 12, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I get a little bored with Anime Link and would love to see a console Zelda return to the appearance of Wind Waker, or closer to it on the scale of cartoony-ness. But I think it won't happen.

There's still hope for handheld though. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that Triforce Heroes went back to WW's chibi style after LBW.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Now we got frog friend, giant red moblin/bokoblin...

...Between the new Zelda trailer, and snippets of footage in the Switch video, what other new stuff am I missing?

So excited for this game.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Here's the new big dude. Bokoblin ears but otherwise kinda Ganon-y. Moblins have had both pig and dog forms right? Ah maybe's it's a new creature all together. Ganon's older brother Craig.

e: spelling

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 21, 2016

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Regy Rusty posted:

Nah they have definitely been depicted more like bulldogs. OOT is one examble, but the older games like the Zelda 1, Zelda 2, and the Gameboy games they weren't pig-like at all. Link to the past is the first one they looked like pigs, and they've been more consistently pig-like since Windwaker.

E: Though to be honest I'm not sure how I'd characterize Skyward Sword's ones. They're just kinda... bulbous

Yeah SS's mooks are more Gob- than Mob- or Boko-.

Related, Nilbom spelled backwards is Nintendo Switch. We shoulda known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I just noticed the new weather trailer shows a beat up structure that looks like a ship's crows nest. Wind Waker timeline and Linebeck VI CONFIRMED. Old Man is Neko, who finally had a growth spurt after he hit age 150.