Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Tri-Force Heroes have a singleplayer mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That sucks. Do any of the other 3DS Zeldas have dress up options?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

She's a boat, not a robot

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just played Ocarina of Time for the first time, and the ending confused me. Why did Zelda send Link back to the past? Was Ganondorf still in the past? I guess getting sealed in an alternate dimension by 7 sages, at least two of whom have time powers, are we to assume that erased Ganondorf entirely? But you see everybody celebrating, so are there now two timelines, the post Ganandorf timeline without Link and the no Ganondorf timeline that's 7 years behind and has a Link?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

That's correct! There are two timelines.

Well, actually, that's incorrect. There are three timelines. In the third, you never beat the game. That is the explanation for the NES and SNES games.

Zelda sent Link back because she thought it was sad he didn't have a childhood.

Zelda, Motherfucker, ask about that poo poo before you do it!

In the non-Ganondorf timeline, does Link still get engaged to the fish woman? It annoyed me that that story didn't get resolved.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, basically. Think Dragon Ball Z, remember how Trunks went to the past to stop the Androids even though it wouldn't fix his future? Now Zelda sends Link to the past so Ganondorf never gets to take over Hyrule, it doesn't change that he already did and ruined everything for several years in this timeline, but now the past Link went to will never suffer the same fate.

Now add a timeline where Link just failed entirely and that's the timeline of the series.

Do the games that came after OoT all fit onto those timelines? Do the timelines splinter further as the series goes on?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What timeline is Hyrule Warriors on?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If the timelines are three adjacent subway tunnels, Hyrule Warriors takes place inside the maintenance rooms that connect them.

Like Warriors Orochi, something gathered them all together from across timelines?

Ocarina of Time is the first Zelda I've played, I was genuinely not expecting multiple timelines from this game series

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver Falcon posted:

Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda too. I played the original N64 one, though. You're lucky you got to start with the superior version!

Now, go play Majora's Mask.

Link Between Worlds was on sale at Target, so I already bought that one

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

youcallthatatwist posted:

btw what'd you think of ocarina? I'm curious to see if it holds up well now, eighteen years later.

I liked it. Really solid gameplay, nice progression of difficulty and exploration. Plenty of babes. I liked that there was a bunch of stuff I could do but didn't have to.

I only have a couple complaints, the big one being that there were times I had no idea what I was supposed to do next. Normally I'd be willing to chalk that up to me being bad at video games, but in this game they had Navi, Saria, and that weird glowing rock thing. The existence of three separate in-game hint systems implies to me that I am not alone in my occasional confusion. Beyond that, the Navi targeting system could be spotty at times, that could be annoying. And the idea that Link is the chosen hero seemed like total bullshit. In order to be the Hero of Time you have to be able to lift the Master Sword. Fine. But the Master Sword is hidden behind a fake wall, and the only way to get at it is to borrow three magical stones from three different races, and learn a song for the ocarina. Right away, you're limiting the pool of potential Heroes of Time to people who own a loving ocarina.

Overall, a good game that I enjoyed. It sold me on the Zelda series, and I look forward to playing the other 3DS Zelda games in the future.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cleretic posted:

And while Ganondorf's not really out of play in the ending where Link gets sent back, Link is at that point an experienced adventurer with combat experience against a far stronger version of Ganondorf. He can probably do a decent job fending him off, if not as well as he could as Adult Link. And that's without giving Link the edge of going off and taking part in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber of evil-fighting that is Majora's Mask. Ganondorf was going off in completely the other direction in search for something totally different when Link opened the Door of Time, so reasonably he's got time to prepare.

...Although that does kind of raise a question now that I think about it. Link opened the pathway to the Sacred Realm when he took out the Master Sword, and Ganondorf exploited that opening while Link was off growing in his sleep. So was the Triforce just, like... there for the taking for anyone who cared to look?

I'm sure, reasonably, there was probably more to it and I just forgot some lines of dialog around somewhere. But I honestly kind of like the mental image that there was a couple months there when literally anybody could've taken the Triforce, but we were saved by nobody actually going to the Temple of Time to see it. Its grounds don't look like a place that gets a lot of public attention and care, after all.

I think it's pretty clear that the Temple of Time's security system is terrible. I mean, why even have the Tri-Force be in accessible place? The crazy complicated system to get to the Master Sword pretty clearly indicates that they aren't really in the market for a Hero of Time who can use the Tri-Force to create paradise. Just close up that wall permanently, none of that trouble happens.

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 14, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Runcible Cat posted:

Rauru becomes really creepy really quickly when you start worrying about who's been styling teen Link.

Just an elderly man who keeps an unconscious teen in his house and does stuff to him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

swamp waste posted:

It does have a problem with that. There's several times when you have a goal, but no clear way to pursue it, and the answer turns out to be that there's a minigame or side area that seems unrelated but actually unlocks the next thing. I remember being annoyed by that

Is that a consistent problem through the series including recent releases, or is it just in the older ones?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gamerofthegame posted:

I understand what you mean but saying "I'm tired of anime let's go cartoon" is pretty weird

He's tired of sexy anime, and wants some kawaii anime

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would be fine with letting the player choose link's gender. As long as the only distinction between the male and female Link character models was a very slight change in the waist-to-hip ratio

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope BotW establishes that the Zelda games and the Monster Hunter games take place on the same world, just different continents.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Amazon knows the month but not the specific day they just say the last day of the month.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't like the Thunderbolt Ganon fight

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I leave the castle halfway through will the game remember what enemies I killed? Because I wish I had more food but gently caress fighting those muscle bound lion centaurs again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
nevermind, the last fight wasn't too hard

Did I miss an explanation as to why the princess didn't age?