Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

WHAT UP SLUTS!

Very excited about this game. Tentatively hoping for some Shadows of the Colossus style boss battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

So I got a Wii U recently and decided to pick up Skyward Sword. I've never played it, I think I'd already sold my Wii by the time it came out.

I just beat the first temple and I'm trying to return to Skyloft but every time I get to the point where I'm on the bird I'm unable to make him pitch upwards to fly towards my destination. What's going on here? Am I sitting too close to the sensor bar? I'm directly in front of it but only like two feet away. Its set up like this because I have a studio apartment. Do I need to move the sensor bar further back and/or sit further away from it?

This poo poo is very obnoxious. The bird just careens downward into the clouds and I'm unable to make him go upwards and I just turn the game off in frustration.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

DanielCross posted:

Don't you need to waggle the Wiimote up and down to make the Loftwing flap to gain height? You can't just tilt the Wiimote upwards.

Bongo Bill posted:

The sensor bar is not used in Skyward Sword.

When flying, you can only angle downward, not upward. Flick the remote downward to make the bird flap, gaining altitude, then tilt downward to dive, gaining speed, and level out to coast.

Edit: while I'm at it, remember that you steer using roll, not yaw.

:downs:

I wasn't flapping, I thought you just moved the controller around in 3D space the way you wanted the bird to go.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

King of Foolians posted:

How the hell did you beat the Loftwing race-to-get-your-Link-clothes without knowing how to flap?

When I did this challenge I "won" on my very first attempt so my bird flying practice time was nominal. I got to the second temple and put it down for awhile at the save point right before the boss. I work a lot, six days a week, so I don't get much play time, probably an hour at most a week.