Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

I ordered the special addition... for the Wii U. But Aside from Amazon saying that it was for the Wii U, I have seen no confirmation that the Wii U is getting a special addition. I'm confused. Not worried about getting the game now (saw a video of the two games side by side and the graphically upgrade isn't worth $400 to me) but I would be bummed if I can't get a dope carrying case for my future switch current 3ds plus the soundtrack...

wait, there's video of the wii u version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

aw.

here's some very minor spoilery impressions from my first three or four hours with the game. I've tried to focus on the negatives, as they definitely do exist, even if this appears to be game of the decade.

- Shrines are cool so far, bigger than I thought they would be but somewhat limited. It's surprising to to into a huge room that has literally one puzzle to solve before getting to the goal. Also not sure if they have specific locations or if there is a set progression - you need to teleport into them so they could easily have a set order that you go through regardless of which temple you've found. I'm assuming they're in set locations though as they've already had to find a way to make the overworld vary in difficulty so why not apply the same principles to shrines. set progression would remove a lot of the discovery-feeling while not actually changing much in effect though.

- Main complaint with shrines is the lack of environmental variety. If we're losing dungeons it's a real shame to have their replacement have the same aesthetic through the whole game. I was reeaaaally worried at first they all had the same city in the sky ripoff music but that doesn't seem to be the case, there's at least 3 or so songs that they can feature

- You can get off the plateau before getting the glider, in fact it's pretty easy to do if you're taking a long way around to get to a shrine.

- in terms of the opening plateau, it's very large and very dense. however, much of what's there is guided by the story. I was hyped to climb to the top of the temple of time right off the bat only to find a sick bow, and was disappointed to find that it's a mandatory location by the end of the intro

- game is hard. we've all heard it but it's pretty true. learn to cook right away as it'll really lessen the early game's annoyances.

- game is huge. you're looking at 10 minutes just to run across the plateau. probably 10-15 minutes to get from the plateau to the next location (kakariko village) to the east, and that's not even at the extreme boundary of the east map. just a guess but I'd estimate 40 minutes nonstop running to go from edge to edge

- speaking of running, the time to deplete stamina is very very low, making running around an annoying minigame of letting go of A every two and a half seconds. Not sure if there's going to be a way to upgrade this - haven't seen a skills menu or whatever that would indicate this is possible. There are stamina boosting foods but that will never be a permanent solution.

- controls are great. little complex honestly, I would frankly prefer a 1-1 implementation from dark souls. but the weapon movesets are fun, there's a lot of freedom, and a lot of room for skill based gameplay. only annoyance is that there's no dodge when not locked on, and when locked on it's really not something that gives you a lot of mobility, moving you only a bit to the side or back.

- it's very stupid the lack of use of the wii u gamepad. it's literally not used. this is silly when you have a pad shaped inventory system - can only guess that this was just never implemented when they decided to go multiplat. Would be so handy to be able to switch weapons and especially powers on the fly. you already can do this with dpad menus but it would be much easier on a touchscreen

- the music! oh man the music. every single piece either directly references or evokes a past composition, which might seem a bit on the nose usually but because the tunes are used so sparingly (no overworld music), when you hear a snippet of a tune you know coming from a shack over the hill, it's like stumbling on or uncovering a distant piece of the past, which is really what this whole game seems to be about in theme.

- murdering dudes with the iron hammer is great fun

- koroks own

- I still frankly am not sure what the composition of the game looks to be. Really hoping there's more to it besides the main quest directing you to specific shrines and then the guardians. First sidequest i got after the plateau was a treasure hunting one with a verbal riddle/clue, so there's going to be that kind of thing at least.

- so zelda has been holding down hyrule castle for the last 100 years, are we getting granny zelda? and how is impa gonna be alive? questions questions

That's all I've got for now but if anyone has any questions about the early game I'd be happy to answer.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 2, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

Don't you get a choice to upgrade your health or stamina after each shrine you complete? That, along with the stamina boosting foods, should make this a non issue fairly quickly, no?

oh right, yes, I forgot, it was getting late by the time I stopped playing.

spoiler for health/stamina increases

every 4 shrine bits you get you can trade in for more hearts or stamina.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the pro controller is really one of the best controllers ever, it just feels so solid

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
treasure your iron hammers

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

No Mods No Masters posted:

Well yeah I mean it would have been a lie also, just a vaguely more plausible one. That said I wouldn't write off any weird performance poo poo out of hand in a game where attacking an enemy sometimes causes a literal 1 second long hitch

thats intentional, man. though I do miss the accompanying musical notes

gonna grab a 5 hour energy on the way home and really sink my teeth into this poo poo tonight. cannot WAIT.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ya like the map is a literal wii u tablet with a map on it, they just show it on the screen instead of on the thing you are holding in your hand. its dumb as heck.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also as much as "dark souls of" is overused this is literally zelda dark souls. they did it. get hype.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hm that would make my constant jumping instead of attacking on the pro controller a little easier to manage, good call

Shoehead posted:

I've been getting a team Ico vibe from it. It might be the muted colours and the sounds of the wind.

Either way this seems dope as gently caress.

aesthetically and even maybe thematically sure, very much so. but in terms of gameplay - both the actual minute to minute game play as well as the overall design philosophy - its dark souls.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen that in 4 hours of gameplay, maybe it's later areas or their game is unpatched or or or. I've noticed the pause on kills but it is about a quarter second, similar to WW.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

poo poo, you can jump and climb and swim and glide and ride horses and bend physics and pause the game during combat in Dark souls?

ya you can, that's what I meant

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
early shrine quest question hateno fort

the dude in there gives you a clue about piercing a statue's gaze, but I can't find the statue to shoot with an arrow. assuming its something obvious I'm missing? Also while I'm asking questions has anyone found the treasure from the quest in the stable south of kakariko? I'm assuming it's in the mountains above that waterfall right there but I couldn't spot the cave after looking around a bunch

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh look another door in the middle of a field on top of a rock I wonder what could oh great 890 of these left

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

There's a creepy graveyard thing full of statues a little bit further east -- kind of in a path going into a valley off the main one you're on. To the north of the main path you're following towards the next town.

oh cool thanks, I ended up taking the southern path to hateno through that bobokin camp across the river from what I think you're talking about. this game is so huge it boggles the mind.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

1. The towns are the best. Every town is loving gorgeous at night during rainstorms, with all the inviting warm lights shining through the squall and downpour. It's like.. my happy place

ya. getting the clothes shop guy to give me a tour in the rain, which he reacted to and commented on, was the best.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this may be my goat

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
are any of the shines in the game plot essential?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo, if you find the treasure the guys in the stable near kakariko give you the clue to find, make sure you don't leave before you have everything. maybe check some walls.

its a 24 dmg glowing sword FORGED IN DEATH MOUNTAIN:chanpop:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can you vaguely tell me why?

someone in hateno wants them

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 3, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
protip as it is probably pretty easy to miss the shine that tells you this

basic mechanics spoiler, not even an item you can do this already
this game has a parry system and perfect dodge system, both of which let you get in 'flurry' critical hits after executing the move

edit:
also this flaming sword is unbelievably dope. it fully flames doesn't just glow

is there a way to repair weapons?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, just found a very large boss in the fields. I don't know if beating it actually did anything but I beat it, an hour of one shot deaths later

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is this shrine north of lanyru peak with the rotating cube with torches on it as much of a oval office as I think it is or am I missing something obvious

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone found that shine with the rotating cube over water where you need to light all the torches? I'm still stuck on it, keep coming back but I can't even work out how the mechanism to move it works exactly, I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
by the way loving l m a o at

(necuda lower right of map miniboss spoiler)

taking an hour and many deaths to take down the hinox that's there only to find that he's part of a quest where you need to kill him.... and his two brothers

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Cleared the first dungeon. Holy gently caress bring food.

I love that we're all experiencing our own poo poo with this game. most people probably follow a similar path up to hateno but then all bets are off.

by the way the whole scene where you get into the elephant shrine was really good

also what was that weird glowing thing I saw in the mountains north of hateno?? I bailed because the moon was all red; I just came over a crest in the mountain range and the moon was blood red and there was some glowing dragon thing and had the biggest wtf moment I've probably ever had in a game

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how can there be an elephant shrine if theres no elephants in hyrule??

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
there might actually be an elephant somewhere in this game though I guess it is a distinct possibility.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

One of the ancient guardian gundams is an elephant

oh sorry i meant guardian not shrine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised I haven't heard more talk about the fire sword forged in death mountain considering you get it from such an early quest (treasure hunters in dualing peaks stable). taking swings and burning the grass in the field around you is the coolest thing

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure you do another lap around zoras domain and I'm assuming the other areas after freeing the guardian, lots of new quests.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well after 30 hours I finally decided to adopt a horse. I rescued him from the moblins that were probably treating him terrible, but in doing so I accidentally shot him when he was charging at me mounted by a moblin. he was so pretty and brown I had to pay him back by making him mine. Within the 30 second ride to the stable I already had him at max bond and he's got 2 in every stat besides 3 stamina and a gentle nature. Good boy.

I named him Rudolph btw

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i think its really funny how i and probably everyone else when we saw the skull lake on the map pre-release pictured kind of a pond, not too big, shaped like a skull. the scale of this game is so nuts if there wasn't a map it would be nearly impossible to actually tell it's a skull shape

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait the TOWN you can BUILD??? dont tell me anymore cause that probably should have been spoiled but holy gently caress

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the perspective shift from the water and the red thing sticking up makes link look really funny when you're swimming with the soldier helmet on

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Lobster posted:

I just wandered into the heat endurance one by mistake. I don't even remember what I was doing. But suddenly Gorons were like, "BROTHER!" So today my friend Silver Falcon was doing a stream to cheer me up because I have this wicked cold and laryngitis AT THE SAME TIME and she does the Goron one where you climb the wall. I kept trying to indicate to her that there was a second Goron one that she could do, but since I could only rasp feebly and she can't read chat at the same time she streams it didn't work out. NEXT TIME!

the way you keep talking about this girl is really cute/sad, you should ask her out or whatever

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so is there an actual full Zelda dungeon in this game now? How do you access it? Are we talking like, OOT forest temple or OOT jabu jabu in length?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I would honestly be ok with a mechanic where you need to find a rune stone or whatever in each dungeon to activate a power or ability (some of which could just mimic equipment like the spinner), that would only work in the confines of that specific dungeon. Have a lot of really versatile stuff in the game like BotW, but for dungeons have really specific and dramatic gameplay changing powers and get weird with it without being hampered by needing to make them more versatile.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
pretty lame tbh. no dungeons, no hookshot, no nothin. it looks like a botw expansion pack so far.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheLoneStar posted:

We literally have a minute of gameplay and almost no more information. They know they have to top Breath of the Wild, so no way they won't dial things up.

For sure. All I can go on is what we have seen though and that implies the big new addition is the sky islands, not full dungeons as I think most people were probably hoping. If it's just shrines again tbh I probably won't play at release but that's just a strong personal preference I have.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Loucks posted:

I hated every single game that used the wii motion control. Those remotes were awkward, vague garbage. At least for MarioKart you could turn off the motion control and run the wiimote like a poorly-designed normal controller.

This guy never played Excite Truck. That game needs a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what's going on with the rewind under the hood based on what's in the patent; It's just documenting the position and rotation of an object over a span of time, and when you hit rewind it just interpolates the object back along those points like a path (ie; it's telling the object to return to the most recent saved position, then the one before than, then the previous one, etc, etc). You can force a momentum value on-collision, or just treat it as a moving object at whatever speed it travels between those points, and you've got your reversed wrecking ball smashing its way back up a hill.

Linx The Time Sweeper