Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I knew I screwed up by buying Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword a week into playing this.

Perhaps it's just me but I feel like SS would be incredibly frustrating after playing a ton of BotW. SS to me is the most linear of the 3D Zeldas. It had a large enough world that was filled with a ton of goodies but at no point did I ever have any FOMO by straying outside of the objectives place in front of me.

Now with BotW in front of me I feel like this is the original dream of Zelda fully realized. The game's pace is entirely up to you, but the game will quickly & violently remind you when you're not ready to move ahead. At the same time, just because you can't progress towards Ganon quickly doesn't mean you're unable to do anything productive. It's so good to have that much flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

I was walking from Kakariko to Hateno village, and I think I went the "wrong" way. I ended up walking by a giant minotaur and killed him, but it took literally every weapon strength that I had and I only had his sword and shield afterwards. Then I had to constantly eat all the food i had saved, which was mostly uncooked cuz the free armor the king gave didn't protect me enough after my torch went out. Then I found a giant dragon that I had to shoot eyes off of. Is he story relevant later? I don't really understand why, but I did it and got that shrine, and then eventually floated down and finally got to Hateno village.

I had a weird feeling when it was time for me to go to Hateno. I walked through that giant wall, saw some enemies, and felt ill-equipped mentally and in-game to try some fighting. So I hosed off to some nearby mountains. Just trying to mine materials for later buffing. I ended up passing near a sleeping Hinox and, minutes later, stumbled upon Hateno by accident. I can't even imagine what the poo poo route you took that got you to a dragon -AND- a Lynel. Feels like I dodged several bullets.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It really does! I've rarely ever had to go hunting for a specific material or food because I am constantly going off in every which way and hoarding everything I come across.

Half the time it's a pleasant surprise that I already have all the materials I need for upgrades and recipes without even thinking about it!

I played Wind Waker this way and only found out months after I had beaten the game (so, 2004-ish?) that people thought the Triforce Chart Quest was a pain in the rear end. I walked up to Tingle like :20bux::cawg::20bux::cawg::20bux: and got like 4-6 of the charts read off right off the bat.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

I mean, they could just make what amounts to Windwaker 2 in the BotW engine. Return to the great sea, ramp up the black outlines and set sail for adventure.

Beating WW2 and starting a new quest should let you sail towards what will eventually become a 3D version of Link's Awakening.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Guys, don't step on the goddamn flowers.

I didn't see the woman when I rolled up on that Shrine. Then she piped up and I was like "OH THIS BITCH"

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

Honestly my main enemy on the Wii U version is enemy pop-in. Like I will be looking at what is very clearly an encampment where enemies should be, all the furniture and props totally loaded, but no enemies in sight, until I get close enough to actually get spotted. Then, presto! Enemies appear like magic. It's really jarring. Is it that bad on the Switch?

I've covered enough ground to activate about half the Sheikah towers and have yet to experience what you're experiencing. The only time I get taken by surprise is if I have my camera misaligned as I'm moving and that enemy spawn spot isn't in sight.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

My favorite "oh, right, cryonis" moment was using arrows on the ice cubes during the lead up to entering the elephant, going to sleep as soon as I entered it, realizing while trying to sleep that I could probably have used cryonis and saved a TON of arrows, then going back to the previous save the next day just to replay that section using cryonis. It's my favorite because this has hit so many people.

Finding this out is making me very salty. I am forever paranoid about arrow supply so I ended up swatting the Cubes with a Korok Leaf. But then the spiked mines should have clued me in when I found that Ice Arrows stopped them.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

links awakening but in breath of the wild

IMHO Wind Waker HD should have had washing up on Kohilint Island as a reward for beating the game. Even as DLC.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

No you just download like 540 byte .bin files and upload/swap them to a little reusable plastic disc called a power tag.

Seems like I could just snag almost any rewritable NFC tag and use it, right? I'm not finding Power Tags online but there sure are a lot of Samsung TecTiles for sale.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Most likely, but I'm not sure if the PowerSaves writer would work for it. You can find the device via GameStop (use the store locator to see if any local stores have it, I never see it available online) or CodeJunkies site.

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't think anything but their powertags are compatible with their hardware. You can buy more Tags from their website or their EBay fronts. But if you have an android phone I think you can just download a program called Tagmo and permanently write a stack of NFC tags.

Amazon's got 'em right here: http://a.co/eZHgvKA

I'm going to try some regular NFC tags to start. They're cheap enough. But there is already allegedly a Power Tag inside the box, so I'll make the most of it if the extra tags don't work. $32 for a PowerSave + NFC tags is a hell of a lot nicer than zipping all over town for any loose Amiibo or $400 internet prices.

People have even got Fierce Deity gear in BotW already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhBD3octAo

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 11, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

You're my hero!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

This is the next generation of Pogs tbh

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Disgusting display of ip theft.

Be more sanctimonious about it. That'll win 'em over.

Anyway, I may possibly be in the minority here, but ever since roughly Majora's Mask I've read all Gorons as variants of The Macho Man Randy Savage and I've yet to find any errors.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've made some progress in grasping the game mechanics a lot the past few days. More than hearts, more than stamina, more than gear. Being able to work within the limits of what you have is a skill unto itself. I've only acquired Vah Ruta's power so far. I have 7 hearts and 3 stamina upgrades.

In a single 3 hour session after building up a ton of loot I was able to kill a Lynel, 2 Hynox, a Stone Talus, and a fully functional Guardian. Then the loot pickups from those fights kind of started this cascading effect. The next day I was able to easily do the 3 Hinox Shrine Quest. The session the day after that it was 2 Hinoxes and 2 Guardians without suffering a single scratch.

I now have the weapons and supplies to feel like I can take on almost anything, or I can go back and start slowly farming the really great swords & shields. I can buy all the bomb arrows and armor upgrades I want without flinching. Since I can easily take out guardians, I'm up to my eyeballs in Ancient parts so I can sell those for a handy sum.

I guess everyone reaches a particular threshold where you kind of blow the doors open and can start establishing a rhythm? The only part that gave me pause yesterday was the game having a sense of humor by placing a Guardian next to a Hynox just east of the Ranch Ruins.

I feel like that was a character-building moment for players and they should stumble upon it by themselves so they can learn some lessons.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

I've yet to see this in the game, but it seems awesome...

https://gfycat.com/RequiredAstonishingAmurminnow

I was looking at as many angles as possible so that exactly this could happen.

Basically I love how in this game you can do things the developer-intended way, or use the tools at hand to brute-force your way through it. You can always build a sufficient safety net for yourself for almost any situation.

Also this is the worst error message in the history of error messages

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 12, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I think my tipping point was when using my shield finally clicked. Not having to be terrified of the guardians was a huge help. Then learning to dodge attacks on a semi-consistent basis.

Yes. Especially this. There was a Guardian on the way up to the top of the Dueling Peaks and I just set aside my anxiety so I could parry the poo poo out of it. It was dead about a minute later and I was thrilled.

Also helps that the sweetspot for a headshot on Guardians is actually huge so you can still do a lot with arrows too.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is my game broken? I'm probably 20-30 hours in, completed about 30 shrines and a DB while having my Slate fully upgraded, and I've only had 1 Yiga encounter. It was early on in the game too, when I was tasked to head to Kakariko Village for the 1st time. It spawned at the bridge near Dueling Stables.

Is there some sort of eventual trigger where random Yiga spawns happen to an annoying degree?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Have you gone through the Gerudo area? Yiga show up randomly as travelers before then. After you do some story stuff, then Yiga appear out of nowhere to attack you.

No Gerudo stuff yet. I activated its tower did that one shrine quest with the Gorons in the desert but that's the extent of my exploration in the desert.

Also I do tend to ignore travelers. So that's probably why.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Only started this today, quick question: do I have to worry about a lot of points of no return? I finished the first four shrines and I just want to explore a while.

BotW is literally "I Just Want to Explore a While: The Game"

The only points of no return are probably after defeating the Divine Beasts and even then the game prompts you that there will be a point of no return so you can double-check things at that moment if you want.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 14, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Oh, and are you supposed to get one of those Blood Moon things the next night after you hear about them but it goes away really fast? Or is that just what they do, bring back the monsters and then gently caress off?

Blood Moons are a clever memory-saving development trick to reset the game after you've modified enough things (mainly monster kills, but a few other things too). You can definitely influence the frequency of blood moons by just going on a total rampage.

jokes posted:

We need to put that blushing pose that Link made when you get presented with the Gerudo set into the OP.

nominating this

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 14, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Maple Leaf posted:

What can I do to trigger a Blood Moon?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Okay so I'm not crazy. I did exactly that and I felt like Spider-Man and/or a crazy sequence breaker.

Then again, that feeling is probably the point of the game.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Forward Toward posted:

Hey did you know you can light your arrows on fire with blue flame before you fire them? Instead of trying to constantly save and reload when the torch you threw through a hole misses...

I am dumb. But I am loving these tiny bits of consistency across the world

Someone just finished Vah Rudania...

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So I finally saw my first Silver Bokoblin.

I still think there's some magical formula involving Shrine Completions, Korok Seeds, and DB's defeated that determines it. Maybe not so much having the Master Sword. I typically always do my upgrades at the Temple of Time (yes I know about the other statues) so I had a consistent frame of reference.

I finally cleared enough Shrines to get my heart containers up to get to the Master Sword. I typically always do my upgrades at the Temple of Time out of general habit. For hearts 10-11-12-13 I didn't see a Silver Bokoblin as I glided to the ToT. This time, on my way to my 14th heart, that bastard showed up. Then I finally got one more heart, and snagged the Master Sword.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nexous posted:

So I just killed my third DB (camel, elephant, bird) and was loving around at Hyrule castle. Got to Ganon and decided to see what the fight was like and ended up killing him super easy. A little disappointed with how easy it was but still looking forward to doing 60 more shrines and 800 more koroks.

I'm seeing the camel as DB #1 a lot from you guys. How is that even possible? After making the trek through the Gerudo area (after completing elephant and about 35-39 shrines) I feel like I'd have died a hundred times on the way over there!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So I stopped being a giant baby and I made my first run through Hyrule Castle. Ran in through the back and came up through the East Passage. I basically wormed my way through a small section of the castle, popping out at the front observation deck.

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS COOL!

I was expecting a ton of Silver monsters in there and whatnot, but it was still balanced. And MY GOD the loot in there was fantastic. The Talus dropped crazy amounts of gems too. I kind of wish the main storyline had 3-4 dungeons like it as well. I may only have spent 20 minutes in there but getting up the guff to pop into Hyrule Castle for a bit was fantastic.

And then I proceeded to go have a blast on Vah Medoh. Windblight Gannon was almost insultingly easy, unfortunately.

Lakbay posted:

Is there an upgrade that lets you use a shield with the 2-handers later? I'm really bad at dodging and I'm thinking about just picking up 1 handed weapons

I've learned to live life without shields. Those 2-handed weapons are the keys to dishing out serious damage in a short amount of time. Due to the nature of the game you never want battles to go on longer than they have to.

You're going to feel pretty restrained for the first portion of the game. Probably until you get 2-3 stamina upgrades and 6-8 hearts. After that, you'll find yourself gaining momentum.

It wasn't very long ago I was spending a few minutes preparing myself for Lynels with a touch of anxiety. Now I run at 'em while whistling.

Phantasium posted:

Hookshot should just let you use anything like a sand seal.

Lash together 2 Sand Seals with a double clawshot. Sand Seal Pod Racer.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 24, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure it's been brought ad nauseam but is killing enemies and the game freezing for a second just part of the game now?

Wii U player here. Only ever noticed this issue when killing Moblins. I've fought all other enemy types and haven't induced game freezes.

Worst scenario for the game engine is hitting a Moblin that's standing on a slope with the Thunderblade. Guaranteed 3-4 seconds of still frame!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a lot to learn here in how the game subverts the Zelda formula so much, while still feeling like Zelda.

I just finished my final Divine Beast. Thunderblight Gannon was annoying as poo poo. I'm at about 55-60 shrines with 16 hearts and 1.8 stamina wheels.

I'm torn between "gently caress it. storm the castle" and "go out and buff yourself like there's no tomorrow".

I can easily defeat Lynels & Guardians now. It almost feels like I can just go on a big farmfest to grind out all of the parts that Great Fairies need. Something seems fun about it, but also somehow not?

I think I remember reading somewhere else about a 70 Shrine requirement for something? I can't remember required it, though.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

yamdankee posted:

You seem to be approaching the game from a linear mindset. The game is designed much less to farm things, but just have fun exploring the amazing world and come by all these things naturally during your adventure. If you view it like that it's a bit less stressful than the "ok i need x amount of this to get this" approach. Happy hunting! :cheers:

And I didn't want it to feel this linear. I don't feel like I rushed into any part of the Divine Beasts or anything. I scoured the world to open up towers, including getting very lost and dying/nearly dying many times while trying to scout for towers that weren't immediately visible. I've seen a ton of stuff and I do have a lot of side quests unfinished too.

maybe i'll just dig into those sidequests because i know there are a lot of landmarks and venues that i haven't even visited yet. Mostly the Northwest but I can't shake that there are parts of Faron that have eluded me too.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 25, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

If you've recovered all the memories you get an extra post-credits scene, so it's worth doing those at least before heading on up to Ganon.

Ironically, I forgot about the memories. It did feel very important to complete them. It feels like half the narrative of the game comes from the memories, at that.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

I'm trying to get into this mindset but it's really hard for me. I caved in and looked up where Hestu goes because I badly wanted to turn in my seeds but I'm doing my damndest now not to look at any guides and just explore and let things happen naturally.

The world feels a little too big and I think they coulda shrunk it down a tiny bit so there's less running around big empty grassy fields

Sometimes those 2-3 minutes of running through a field mean seeing something off in the distance, or out of the corner of your eye, that becomes interesting. And then you get sucked down a rabbit hole of amazing poo poo.

Early on in my playthrough, I did just enough for the game to tell me to go to Hateno after Kakariko. So I got to Fort Hateno and saw some poo poo that looked too scary & arduous. So I decided to take a long way via some seemingly random nearby mountains with my 1 measly stamina wheel. Accidentally stumbled across a Hynox (which I later learned was next to a Lynel in a direction I wasn't looking) and then ended up next to Hateno by total dumb luck, as I hadn't hit the Hateno tower until after exploring the village.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's a cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDok_X-d1QE

If you're a fan of Lynels getting owned, or just want to prepare yourself for possible encounters, this guy mapped out all 22 of them that are hangin' out around Hyrule. He goes through them in what seems to be a strange order, but is detailed at showing where they're hiding.

That being said, after encountering a few Lynels in the game already I've basically been trained to become paranoid every time I'm presented with an open plain.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 25, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"Daruk's Protection is ready to roll!" wouldn't sound out of place in a fantasy RTS

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Yet it has Windwaker Koroks and other stuff from other timelines. The timelines collapsed and BotW is after all of them

Spend enough time ripping apart the space-time continuum in these games and eventually you get [Rick & Morty Episode of Nerdy poo poo] that fuses it all together. Simple!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So I was feeling kind of despondent after finishing the 4th DB and it just felt like the only thing I wanted to do was go beat Gannon and get poo poo overwith.

Then I decided to hunt down some Memories. And it's like I'm back to square 1 of being a kid in a candy store with the world map. I also had found that I had under-explored the Faron region. I found 2 shrines when I was really only on the hunt for 1. I found the region's Hinox and Lynel. I picked up some loot and got encouraged again. Lynel fights have actually become fun for me now. I crank up a L3 Attack booster and run at it while whistling. With a Royal Claymore I can knock one down in only 2-4 minutes now.

From what I've seen so far, you kind of wonder how much of a badass Link was 100 years ago. It seems like he had help from Zelda, but the memory that's just a bit east of the Woodland tower made me :stonk::stonk::stonk:

Then I went from there to the memory that's just outside of Hyrule Castle, stumbled upon a shrine, and had to fight SO MANY loving GUARDIANS. The worst was when a god damned Yiga decided to show up right when I was 6ft away from a Guardian and blasting it in the eye. Fucker.

Oh, and this happened...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't underestimate how awesome 3 wheels is

new thread title

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

I'm gonna respec now thanks to the empty quotes (also it seems way easier to make max heart buff food)

The Durian farm next to the Faron tower is almost a cheat code tbh

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

That feeling is gonna stick for dozens of hours. I envy you :)

I'm at nearly 3 decades of playing video games. The euphoria dropoffs on games will always be different. But BotW somehow manages to refresh itself on a weekly, if not daily basis.

"Oh I'm gonna play this linear like a Zelda game. Kakariko, Divine Beasts. Get powers. Get weapons. Collect some things while I'm traveling between those venues."

And then every drat time, just when you think you're going to fire up the game to just accomplish X-Y-Z. Then you'll encounter an NPC, or stumble upon a miniboss, or a previously unfinished Shrine, so maybe you do X-1-F-Q-"-ñ-Z instead. But you never feel any less productive. You've only become stronger and mastered the nuances of the game more than you ever thought.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

What happens at the end of a dungeon if you already have max hearts? Does it give you a stamina container?

With 120 shrines, and 4 spirit orbs per upgrade, that's 30 upgrades of either hearts or stamina and then on top of that 4 hearts from db's

You can use a maximum 27 of those 30 upgrades on hearts, which basically coerces you into upgrading your stamina wheel (to 1.6 wheels) or just leaving the orbs dormant.

Even if you were to ignore the DB's, and do all shrines first for some reason (without doing a stamina upgrade, because you're crazy) you could theoretically end up with 30 hearts and only 1.6 stamina wheels before doing the DB's at all. No telling what the DB's would do for you in that case.

Chaltab posted:

Can someone give me a general hint as to where to find the beverage wanted by the thirsty Gerudo lying on the guidance stone?

Go back into Gerudo Town and head to the right side of the town after the entrance. (Behind the wall you see in the main courtyard) You'll find a place of business. Start talking to people.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

You can hide in barrels?

Straight up Wind Waker style. There's a barrel near the Old Man's Hut you can use to sneak up on the nearby Bokoblin encampment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

My favorite korok moment involved a golden one placed in a precarious spot in hyrule castle that said- "Buh-bye" to me, and as soon as I cleared that miscreant's dialogue box I was promptly blasted by a laser.

My 1st trip through Hyrule Castle (went in the back and out the front) and I realized the sheer balls on these Koroks. They gave no fucks at all about the decaying world outside of the forest.

I cleared some blight and revealed the observation deck and that smug little poo poo was just hanging out there waiting to poop in my hand.