Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game is neat. Just started it and got the camera feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All of my horses are named randy

All of my horses are named Roach.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I wandered north from the research center and ended up in the Zorah kingdom with a quest to go fight a Lynel. Having run into one near the East Gate earlier, I decided gently caress that noise and decided to go back to the plateau and check out the south east from there. Crossed the river and saw A MOTHERFUCKING LIGHTNING DRAGON flying over it. Now I've found a new stable and a new Roach, and am wandering the hills down there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I need to get ancient cores to make this happen. Any good spots? I'm guessing I have to find actually active guardians.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zore posted:

Just caps at 2 rows. This means food that gives bonus hearts is useless after a point.

Or is it hearts after a certain point are useless? :crossarms:

I found a mesa down near Faron tower that was chock full of Hearty Durians. After some experimenting, I found out you can get 20 extra hearts if you cook 5 of them. I have like 5 meals that can do this, plus fully heal. Totally gonna go back and get more whenever they grow back.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 15, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zarlog posted:

You can also get lots of bananas in that area.

Bananas are good? I hadn't tried the damage buffs yet.

All in all I'm having a lot of fun, but a lot of enemies just poo poo damage all over you and kill you so quickly it's hard to fathom where the "breaking point" is at which suddenly they're more manageable. Every moblin I run into I basically have to cheese with kiting and bombs because even with 24 hearts and climbing hat + pants + hero tunic all upgraded once they still can kill me in like 3 hits of melee. I've been going through bows and arrows like mad because 90% of the time I will just shoot them instead of meleeing... the lightning enemies all exploding you if you have even a trace of metal on you when you hit them doesn't help, especially when some weapon descriptions and/or models are unclear on whether they count as metal... the Lizalfos weapons are guilty of this, there's one of their bows that specifically says it's made from bent wood, but it looks like it has a metal grip and lo and behold, you get blown the gently caress up if you're carrying it.

A lot of enemies just seem to really, really outrange you in terms of melee reach, and it's not so much frustrating as just annoying, since you have so many other ways to deal with them. Still, it's kinda tiresome to be like "Oh, it's one of those guys again and I am down to only like 20 arrows. gently caress it, time to light grass on fire to fly around and cheese this dude with bombs!" and I would hope at some point the game starts to swing back the other way where I'm not hemorrhaging resources constantly and having to spend a lot of time tediously restocking my stores before picking a new direction to set out in.... it's fun initially and a great style of play, but eventually it gets really tiresome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ROJO posted:

Get some soldiers armor and upgrade it a couple times; it will make life infinitely easier. Also champion's tunic as mentioned before, but it takes dragon parts to upgrade so it can be a bit more of a pain, but it ultimately has (I believe) the highest armor rating of any chest piece. The way armor works in the game is pretty broken once you get a significant armor rating built up - prioritize upgrading a set. I have way less hearts than you (still on the first row) and basically don't give a poo poo about damage unless it's a silver lynel or something along those lines.

Also, cook some defense food if you are really getting poo poo on - it can be a good stop gap until you get some upgrades (I'm assuming based on your shrine count you have found all the places to upgrade armor).

That's 24 hearts using a Hearty Durian mean which gives 20 hearts. I have 4.

I have no idea where to find this Soldier set. So far I've only got some of the Stealth armor (goddamn it's hard to get money in this game), and the Zora armor other than the Champion shirt and climbing hat and pants.

I guess I should reiterate that I'm not using guides or watching videos or whatever too learn all the speed hack or secret poo poo because I NEVER do that with games, particularly Zelda games. This game seems to have a really high barrier for entry, though the hearty durian meals have really made me care less about upgrading heart containers and focus more on stamina. So far I have 4 hearts total and am 1 more upgrade away from a second full stamina gauge... I think about 20 shrines down, so far.

Tonight I wandered SW of the plateau after almost getting mulched in Hylian field trying to shield parry guardian lasers. Managed to get to the tower and unlock it, then bug the gently caress out, though. I scaled the cliffs and found that tower in the tar pool, which was entertaining to figure out how to get up... Eventually I just stacked a bunch of metal boxes to make a bridge to one of the big stone slabs, then climb up and glide my way to it. From there I headed NW and ran into my first Talus in what looked like a quarry. Flew across the ravine to escape and ended up climbing that entire mountain all the way to the top... No idea what it's called, haven't unlocked that part of the map yet and haven't seen the relevant tower, though I saw a few shrines and towers crazy far north, so I marked them.

From the summit, after dodging the ice wizzrobe who started making GBS threads freezing meteors everywhere and then the skeleton lizalfos gang that chased me around in the snow, I ended up going south toward the entrance of the desert because I saw 3 shrines pretty easily. Landed on a mesa to survey and ran into my second Talus, so I jumped off the side and found the stable and did that shrine (which was a neat one) before calling it a night.

I think tomorrow I'll try and find the tower for the region just north, so I can find out the name of that drat mountain I spent 35 minutes climbing.

Edit: To clarify, I found the fairy fountain by Kakariko and have upgraded every piece of armor I can by one level. Haven't seen a way to upgrade them further, she keeps repeating the whole spiel about finding a complete set, though I haven't managed that because I haven't found enough money to get the Shiekah one yet.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 15, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

The game kind of naturally leads you to that Village too if I remember. It’s east of where you bought your stealth set.

Yeah they do, I think I just missed the shop. I'm down to under 50 arrows after that quick dip at the desert, so I'll probably have to go back to that Hateno area to find some Bokoblins to shoot a billion arrows at me. I also need a few more shields since my attempts to reflect the Guardian lasers in the field went badly and they ended up melting literally all of my shields to the point where I only have a half broken soldier shield left.

Edit: While I'm back on the plains I will probably also try to tame a new Roach, as well. Need a solid horse!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 15, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I am really bad at perfect blocking guardian lasers. :smithicide:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It was hinted at at one point that the Impa we see in the games is actually the same woman, throughout the ages. This is why she's only ever young in OoT, and gets progressively older until she's essentially a mobile fossil in the original LoZ.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I fired it up for the first time in a bit and noticed that there was a lot of the Gerudo Highlands that I never really explored. Up in those snowy areas I found a few skull bases I never saw before (I had forgotten the little thrill of the skull treasure chests lighting up after you clear the enemies) and found a ton of treasure chests scattered around. Also a Ice Talos and a Lionel I hadn't run into before. Afterwards I started gliding down to the woodland areas and found a lake I hadn't been to as well that had an Ice Wizrobe dancing around. Man I love this game. Around 270 hours in and there are still lots of places that I haven't thoroughly gone through yet. I really, really hope the next Zelda uses the same engine and has a similar feel.

Edit: My biggest surprise up in the highlands: I ran into Bokos riding loving BEARS as mounts :stare:

You can tame and ride a bear, too. :ssh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yo, I just started playing for the first time and I’m at the part where I have to get stuff out of the three shrines for the old man so he’ll give me the paraglider. Where do I go to get some peppers? I already got the ones by that tree fort near the bridge to the cold mountain area, and it looks like I need some more so I can build up my cold tolerance, but the ones by the tree fort haven’t grown back yet and I don’t know where else to find them at.

Make sure you run around the mountain and get up to the summit, even before you hit the shrine. You'll thank me later.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I found Pondo's hut and whelp. There go all my money problems. Not hard to get at least 50, and I've found a decent spot (the right side, middle of the first "trough") where you can get a strike like 90% of the time.

Profit!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Buddy, you need to be more open to experimentation.

Yeah, this.

I'll go out on a limb and say that, based on your post history in this thread, you may end up nor liking this game. Like, at all.
It's not linear, it doesn't tell you where to go or how to do things, it 100% relies on the fact that you will make creative use of its systems to get by and survive/excel, and it isn't easy, especially with dissecting the cooking system and learning how to actually be effective in combat vs the harder stuff.

You're gonna either have to adapt and unlearn your millenial gamer routine of getting tutorials for some thing, then applying said thing to the next problem, and instead just figure it out by trial and error and playing around. Otherwise you're in for a long, painful ride (for all of us, since you'll be posting in here with every drat question until you give up and quit or finally beat it) so just work at it and dick around for a bit. Forget it's a Zelda game and approach it more like an open world survival game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I will say, getting enough sunset fireflies to upgrade my armor seems like it'll be tedious... drat them for being so jittery and forcing me to sneak up on them!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://youtu.be/dXk5fY8ub_w

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Game is designed specifically to let people play however they want.

Guy gets game, decides he wants to play it by asking questions and looking stuff up.

Goons tell guy he's playing it the wrong way.

:allears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Goons are in pain because they would slam their genitals in a closet door for the ability to forget it all and experience it again blind and homie has no interest in the one thing this game truly excels at

It's like the guy in front of you in line gets the last Dippin Dots you really wanted and then you watch him repeatedly drop them on the ground and waste them because he doesn't really care about them at all! :mad:

That's his prerogative to do, though. Just don't enable it by handing him more dots if you take umbrage with it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wow, Revali is a dick.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Found the Ganon armor. Bone attack up just means more damage from lovely bone weapons? What does Disguise mean, because this Moblin I bumped into gave no shits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://youtu.be/EdpbhzjNpFo

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I thought it was Mount Lanayru.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

I don't think you could put saves or anything on the SD card; I think that slot exists solely for Wii Mode compatibility

Look at it as an opportunity to get a Switch and replay it on that while you take shits and ride the bus.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

Extended Eventide. Hell, I’d be happy if I could just replay Eventide without having to start a new game.

I just did that island after seeing it from that shrine on the cliff. Was drat fun, though I was ill prepared for the Hinox that was chilling there and ended up cheesing it pretty heavily with cycled bombs from the cliff above.

On my end I wandered the land, finding all the towers and something like 54ish shrines... enough to get 2 full wheels of stamina and 12 hearts. I scoured the swamp for DLC armor and completed all of the Lost Woods, though I couldn't pull the sword out without dying. I found 3 of the fairies and lightly explored the desert and snuck my way into the Gerudo city. I became a bowling ace who would make Woody Harrelson in Kingpin happy. I completed a bunch of sets, though the one set I truly want, the Climbing gear, I couldn't find the chest for.

I decided to finally get back on task and of the three Champion machines, I decided to go for Vah Ruta since I had most of the Zora set (and quickly completed it after making this decision) and had a bunch of shock arrows stocked up, plus the approach to it and general region were much more manageable than the desert or Tabantha, and I assume the final machine is in Death Mountain but I haven't figured out how to survive there yet.

Vah Ruta was really cool, I really liked the map manipulation mechanic though ultimately it wasn't that hard and still didn't really feel like a "dungeon" persay, but it was still really cool. Beat the boss in one try, digging Mipha's Grace which had basically obviated.my whole routine of piles of cooked durian to give me shitloads of extra hearts.

After the dungeon, went back to the woods thinking maybe defeating one of the Divine Beasts would toggle the ability on or off, had 13 hearts at this point and ended up pulling for a lot longer than I usually do before giving up on account of I was banking on Mipha's Grace to pick me back up after I dropped dead but to my surprise I pulled it out just at the last second, which sounds super dirty out of context.

Armed up, I decided to try that Major Test of Strength shrine on the island in the Southeast on the way to Eventide, ended up finding the armor that was eluding me which prompted me to go explore the wasteland north of the woods because the terrain looked rough and I figured the extra climbing would help. Ended up in the Typhlo ruins and managed to stumble my way through to the end, only to find another Hinox who I didn't think I could cheese safely in the dark, so I used my stealth suit to steal the orb without waking him up. He woke up anyway after the cutscene, but by then I'd found the ledge the shrine is on, so I just dodged and weaved while sniping his eye and took him out, my first legit kill of one of those.

That's my story.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Also part of the "Did Eventide early club"

I think I had four to five hearts and no beasts done. I ran the gently caress away from the Hinox like a chump. One of the balls was in a camp with some blue/black Bokoblins and Moblins which I snuck around. At one point I stood on a mountain cliff that was out of their aggro range but close enough I could lure them over with dropped bombs exploding and then hit them with another bomb. I did that for like 20 min since the previous time I tried I died here and was in super cautious mode.

Got there first via gliding from a combat trial on a cliff overlooking the island and stamina food. Then I boated there. After my third try I tried saving as close to the border as possible.

I had the two stamina wheels but only 6 or so hearts at that point, and foolishly hadn't eaten beforehand.

I dunno if this is super old news, but you can bomb cycle really easy to almost flinch lock a lot of tougher enemies. Toss the round, blow it, swap to cube, toss it immediately, swap back, repeat. The big enemy was slowly walking up the slope and around to the south to get up on that ridge the camp is on, where I was, so I was just hucking bombs at him the entire way and managed to get the last sliver just as basically his entire torso was above the plane of the ridge, he got that close. :feelsgood:

I'm starting to feel pretty tough, now. I've got a few pieces of armor at level 3, my top armor range I can hit is 24 with a mix of Hylian, Soldier, or Zora armor. I've found two really good and easy to reach weapons I can always farm, one of which is flame. They're both 2 handed, which kinda sucks, but it's not a huge deal. I've totally started whoring the Ancient Horse Armor on Roach, but that's because a lot of the terrain is super finicky and honestly I rarely ride her anyway, instead mostly going on foot and just climbing over stuff.

I think my next goal is to try to get 2 horns from Farosh to upgrade my Hero tunic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Who is Buzz? :haw:

I decided to clean up some side quests, so I started with that Misko one. Found the cave, looted the crap out of it, ran into a Stalnox down below, ran like a bitch and spotted a pond on my map up the mountainside. Checked it out, found a Korok in a hot spring, then noticed there was more weird stuff over the mountain. Climbed up there, found another big boy sleeping in the middle of a gang of bokos. Ended up fighting him straight up with my Royal Claymore, shooting him in the eye and going to town on his grundle while dodging lightning arrows. At one point one of them missed me by inches while he got caught in it since we were in the water. :hellyeah:

He had an orb on him and a chest with 300 rupees under him. Still not sure where the orb goes but I found his buddy down the hillside, chilling on his own. I'm currently chilling out on the bone above him... :hehe:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 12, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So the divine trident thing I got from the Zora I assumed would remain in inventory when it broke, like how the Master Sword works. Did I gently caress up by letting it break and is it now gone for good?

Also it's kinda lame how the MS can only fire off like 6 energy beams before losing charge. What is this bargain bin poo poo?! No wonder Link got his rear end beat at Hateno Fortress, which I've been looking for but still haven't managed to find...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ah okay. I don't care that much except for later on when I'm decorating my house I wanna hang them all up on the wall, if they look cool.

I still don't get why there are so many bow mounts.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zelda: Death of the Wild

This time it's Termina, which is slowly getting torn apart by the 4 guardians, who have gone rogue.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jamesmcnee.com.botwfoodhelper

This one is pretty good for android.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I need to figure out how to survive on Death Mountain, because Gerudo clothes + food + ice sword isn't cutting it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zoran posted:

There are helpful things on the roads and at the stables.

It would probably help if I stuck to the roads more...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MokBa posted:

The Middle Trials are extremely difficult with 4 hearts. I eventually gave up. :( Maybe 7 will do the trick.

Just eat some fried durian beforehand. You keep yellow hearts.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Master Mode seems like such dogshit. If you want to make it harder, make it like Monster Hunter or something where it's more than just HP sponge enemies.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MokBa posted:

You can treat this as the megathread for all intents and purposes.

Yo, you should all play Minish Cap. Finally played it a few months ago and goddamn, what a wonderful Zelda game. :allears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Why use weapons to break metal crates at all when you can just Magnesis them, lift them up super high, and drop them a couple times? Save the durability.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

But did she climb YOUR tree? :quagmire:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

the best tip for people new to BotW is that there's no wrong way to play it.

Yes there is, and that's following a walkthrough or guide to the letter instead of just wandering around on your own.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

You can also just light the pepper on fire by other means. As long as it burns, it creates a small updraft, where normally you need a big brush fire to have one.

It's the same force at work in your butthole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kass is a poor man's Rooster from Disney's Robin Hood.

Yeah I said it.