Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

seiferguy posted:

Farosh farming - go to the Faron stables, sleep / wait till morning, and go east over the bridge and Farosh will fly under it for an easy shot. Use a gerudo bow if possible.

Actually, there's a slightly better spot for this, just north of Riola Spring. THere's a small cave with several electric keese in it. You can kill them, then build your fire just inside the cave so you don't have to deal with rain. Light it with a flame weapon (so you don't have to fumble with flint and steel), and wait until morning.

Relight fire, jump and ride the current of the spawning Farosh into the air. Pick your shot with the Gerudo Golden bow, and let fly. Let your prize hit the ground, land next to your fire...and repeat.

If the parts have hit the ground, they won't despawn until you leave the area. Continue until you're stocked up enough horns, teeth. claws, or whatever for your needs, and go collect them all at once.

A Dragon Horn is a /massive/ duration enhancer when cooking. Four Mighty Bananas and a Horn Shard = 30 Minute Murder Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

canoshiz posted:

First dragon I saw was Dinraal. I took a picture when I first saw it and read the flavor text in the compendium that said it bears no ill will towards humans, so I went into the Naydra scene with a "wow this is cool and I need to help this thing out" mentality. I didn't really organically stumble upon Naydra, though (having looked up the locations of where to find the dragons to get their scales, but not much more than that), so the experience was a bit diminished in that sense.

I stumbled across Farosh first, on my first trip back to the plateau after managing to make it to Karakiko village. I was heading towards the east side of the plateau during the morning, and saw it flying over Lake Hylia. One of many "What the hell is that?" *SAVE GAME* moments, but it didn't seem to notice me. I didn't try to shoot it until after I'd made my Hateno village run, when it swooped down nearby after my first failed attempt at puzzling through the Ya Naga shrine. I carried the scale I shot off for a /long/ time until I stumbled into where I needed to use it.

Naydra was the /last/ Dragon I saw, because I didn't really start exploring the mountain until I had bought and level-2 upgraded the full set of snow gear. My first attempt, I ran out of arrows, so I went and found some horse archers and exploited them until I had 300 (the original exploit still worked back then) and picked up the Golden Bow, and a bunch of Stamina food, and headed back, and discovered that I only had to score one more hit.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ventana posted:

The real question is why is there only a limit of 3 wheels

I want 5 wheels

There's a meal for that.

But yeah, three wheels is awesome. My standard Hinox-Killing method now is to just sneak up between the legs of a sleeping Hinox, pull out a Royal Claymore, and spin up. By the time the Hinox is on his feet, he's dead, and if the Royal Claymore happened to break, oh well, there's probably a new one on the ground now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

I went to a full row of hearts before getting stamina upgrade #2. :smith:

I didn't really find enough upgrade fairies and was constantly getting 1-2 shot by bad dudes, and the climbing gear is a pretty big crutch to get you by most of the stamina checks.

Knowing what I know now though, stamina all the way.

The thing about the climbing gear; It doesn't increase how high you can climb. Until Upgrade 2 with the full set, it only makes you climb /faster/. Climbing the same path with or without the climbing gear will use the same amount of stamina. The stamina reduction for level 2 is only for jumping, which, by itself, won't take you as high as regular climbing would.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

There are only about four weapons that you can never acquire again once you miss your chance or break/lose all the ones that exist in chests or are given to you.

The weapon connoisseur quest doesn't require any of them.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Zore posted:

I don't think there are any weapons that don't respawn or can't be repaired.

Blood Moons even respawn the random poo poo buried half in the ground.

The Forest Dweller's sword only appears in Chests, or as a Quest Item. Once you exhaust all those, you can't get it back, except in the Quest Area, where you don't get to keep it afterwards.

Also, the Mighty Lynel Sword, Bow, and Shield are only dropped by Blue Lynels outside of Hyrule Castle. Once those stop appearing (Because they've been promoted to higher-level Lynels with Savage gear), you can't get them again.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I used the second code.

I really need to practice more on Lynels. I didn't kill my first one until after I'd beaten the game the first time. Part of it was just because I'd gotten so badly trounced the first few times I tried the Red Lynel, and part of it was because I had a hard time keeping one-handed weapons in stock early on, so learning how to use my shield (and, to be fair, dodging attacks) took a major back seat to toughing things out.

Even after all these years, I still kind of default to Link-to-the-Past mode when fighting enemies.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I finally went to Eventide Island. I feel like I kind of cheated by making and eating the Thirty Minute Murder Meal beforehand, and having more than 20 hearts at the time (But for the Grace I still would have Game overed, though. I am not good at Shirtless Fighting.)

My biggest regret was running around like a frantic idiot instead of carefully exploring; Watching videos after the fact showed me so much helpful stuff on the island I missed entirely.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

crayon85 posted:

Master sword takes 10 minutes. If you check your inventory and select it you can see how long remains, same goes for db abilities.

Farming guardians is a pretty good way to get ancient gears, either in shrines or out in the world. If you're struggling then shooting a guardian in the eye with an ancient arrow works. If you don't like stalkers there are a lot of decayed guardians in the temple at the end of Tabantha canyon.

If you want to max your minor guardian parts, though, stun the Guardian Walkers with with Stasis+ or a (normal) arrow to the Eye, then run up and hack their legs off with the Master Sword. Each leg chop stuns the Guardian again, does overall damage, and provides its own smattering of Ancient Gears, Shafts, and Screws, and you still get the regular Guardian kill drops you'd get from Beam Tennis or Ancient Arrows. when it finally dies. Leg hacking is still worth it even if the Guardian has started its destruction animation.

Also, if a legless Dead Guardian is sitting in a pool of water, you can flip it with a well-placed Cryonis block to have it divulge more of the minor parts than a regular Search action would. And if it's currently raining in the region you're in, there will be more pools of water under the Dead Guardians than normal.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 7, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't mind the Master Sword recharging since there's always another weapon to use that's probably stronger anyway but that poo poo drove me up a wall with Revali's Gale. Many times I wanted to get up a mountain fast or glide over areas but only had one use of Revali's Gale because I used the other two up a half hour ago. Good thing those other two uses didn't recharge.

I would have rather liked a system where the rechargable abilites immediately began their cooldown after the last time you used them, and using it again restarted the clock.

So use a Revali's Gale, and you have two left, six minute cooldown begins. Use a second one five minutes later, and you're down to one, and the recharge clock goes back to six minutes. Wait those six minutes, and you're back up to the full three.

Even with a significantly longer recharge time than the current system, I'd prefer the above, as the current situation effectively incentivizes the player to burn his champion ghost powers unneccesarily if he's pretty sure he's not going to be using them for half an hour.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I wonder if it was a leftover from an earlier test version, where the Master Sword did not recharge in your hand when broken, and instead you had to go back to get it, similar to the way the other Champion weapons work.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Once you have 5 fairies, they stop spawning. Lose some fairies and they will come back.

Or, the next time you go to the fountain, choose to hold five of the fairies you have in your inventory. Once the number of fairies in your actual inventory drops below the threshold (because they're in your hands now), more will appear at the fountain, as long as it's been a Blood Moon since the last time you grabbed or chased off fairies from that fountain.

You can then put the ones in your hands away, and go catch the new fairies.

If I recall correctly, the maximum number of fairies you can have in your inventory by doing this is 11.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ducks really aren't all that difficult when you're wearing the full stealth suit. There have been times when I've been collecting fish and I'll bump ducks while swimming before they realize I'm there.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

So wait am I seriously supposed to beat up this Lynel for his shock arrows, he has 2000 health :stare:

I mean I know there's a bunch of arrows on the peak but there doesn't seem to be that many?

Personally, I snuck around as much as I could, stole arrows, and warped out if he came for me. I think I then bought the rest that I needed, but it's been awhile, so I don't recall.

It's certainly possible to murder him though, and if you want to get the Blue and White-Maned lynel gear, you will eventually have to learn to kill them before the game advances them to Silver.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Nevermind turns out some attack up food, some parries and some bowsmanship (omg you can mount them) is enough to do the deed after all. :woop:

The other thing is that you can literally swap weapons and armor at any time, and sneakstrikes, flurries, and mounted attacks do not wear down your weapons.

So if you have a weapon that does a lot of damage, and a set of armor that /increases/ that damage, and perhaps a Four Minute Murder Meal that stacks upon that damage, you can really ruin a Lynel's day fairly quickly, and you can swap back when you get thrown (or possibly pull off a few bowshots to the back of the Lynel's head while still in the air to stun him again.)

I'm still not /good/ at killing Lynels, but it makes things go quick. I regret waiting until after I'd completed the game before I seriously tried to kill my first one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Well, shoot. I stand corrected. Shows how rarely I successfully pull off a Flurry Rush that I never noticed that.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

What I want to do is find that inventory-expanding jackass again, now that I feel more confident about wandering around the world and not getting pimp slapped by Lynels or Guardians. Can anyone say as generally as possible what direction his home is in so I have a rough guess where to wander first?

The first location you can find him at before he reaches home is Northwestish of his original location. If you find him there, he'll stick around and give you a few more upgrades before moving on to a second location, where he'll stick around and give you more if you find him there.

Or if you head directly to his Home, he'll be there when you get there, regardless of whether you spotted him at the two previous locations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'm a huge nerd and I've been wondering: just how big is Hyrule? Has anyone used the flight challenge to calculate a good estimate using the map, since it gives you your exact distance in meters? I haven't been able to find anything specific like that on Google, and I don't have the patience for tedium it would take to do it myself.

The general estimates I've seen have been about 9 km east-to-west, and just under 7 km north-south.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/5amsmj/analyzing_botw_map_size_cad_approach_google_earth/

Size comparison map from the post, comparing Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and Ocarina of Time.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 19, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Something that took me way too long (and watching a video) to realize:

If you've got a decent bow and a steady hand, you can shoot down /any/ cliffside ingredient. Running along the base of a cliff and shooting down Swift Violets and Rushrooms and collecting them after they fall is /much/ quicker than climbing up the cliff to get them. And even if you miss, you'll probably still be able to collect the arrows.

Also, ancient arrows that miss can be re-collected, just like ordinary arrows. So you can get a decent picture of an Ancient Arrow (though without the Glowy knife blade) by shooting one into a wall and taking a picture while it's on the ground ,producing a less-cluttered picture than using the selfie capability.

I also kind of wonder what would happen if Link got hit with an Ancient Arrow somehow.

Edit: Another thing I didn't realize until last week: The game will let you start a fire /anywhere/ that you can drop firewood, as long as it's out of the rain/water and you can ignite it. This includes inside buildings, and atop the elevator pads of shrines (which are conveniently sheltered from ambient weather)

maltesh fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 22, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Dictator. posted:

the farm though

the korok "puzzle" types i found:

More Korok Puzzle types

Offering matching: A set of N statues has N-1 ingredients as offerings in its bowls/altars. Add the same ingredient to the missinng bowl to summon the Korok, then take all the ingredients back because hey, free ingredients.

Diving Target: A small circle of plants in a body of water. Generally intended that you dive from a nearby outcropping (Or otherwise fall about a half dozen meters) into the center of it.

Fruit Picking: Find three fruit-bearing plants in a very close line (they'll appear to be touching on the map at the highest magnification) where two have one fruit, and the third has many. Pick or shoot the fruit off the third to match.

Follow the Flower: A yellow flowering plant. Touch it, and it teleports to a new location. Generally, this needs to happen four times before the Korok shows up.

Boulder Bowling: A boulder-sized depression in the ground, and one or more pushable boulders at a higher location. Move a boulder into the depression, win a Korok.

Secret Archery Target: If there are a few arrows sticking near an object that looks like it could be a target, try shooting one into it yourself.

But yeah, Koroks are pretty much at almost every interesting location in the game. Summit of a peak? Probably a Korok Puzzle there. Unusual basin or pit? Korok. Lone Tree off somewhere interesting? Probably a Korok. Weird looking structure or ruins? Head of a river? Stasisable rock of slab blocking something?The list goes on and on.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just to be sure, some of the Shrine quests and one of the Main Quests are supposed to be from ????, right?

Yep. That just means that the Shrine Quest Giver is effectively the nameless monk corpse in the shrine. Usually happens when the shrine quest is triggered by Link's arrival at a particular location.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I had three full stamina wheels by the time I got there, so I climbed the upper walls.

The one video I saw where someone decided to fight their way through the Yiga Hideout, they brought a Blizzard Rod, and iced the Blademasters en masse.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

I've played the game for like 100 hours and beat Ganon and have been all over the map and done most of the side quests and shrines and all that poo poo but I've only found 100 Koroks

blows my mind that there are 800 more out there that I'll never find

Finally got my 120th shrine yesterday (and found the plaque I was supposed to read to tick off my 42nd Shine Quest today), and I'm still at am only 281 Korok seeds.

Oh well. At least I've got my weapon slots maxed. Though they're full of one-handed and two-handed Lynel weapons.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Since I was the third in a row with the same answer, I'll edit this to say I've got 108 shrines but only 4 shrine quests left. Got a bit of hunting to do yet apparently. I haven't counted how many of the quests I've unlocked, but I have to think with all the wandering I've done the rest must be quests. I'll be very surprised if the slate sensor picks up a shrine again.

With 108 shrines and four quests left, the majority of the remaining are not going to be questing shrines. Nearly all shrine quests only point to one shrine, and the one that can think of that does point to more than one shrine, each shrine that is pointed to also has its own separate shrine quest, in addition.

So I'd say /most/ of your remaining shrines are probably non-obvious ordinary shrines that you wandered past because the Shiekah sensor was tracking something else at the time, or because another shrine became obvious when the hidden shrine was hidden.

Of my last four shrines completed, three had no quest atached, Two were just hidden in out-of-the way places I hadn't spent much time exploring, one was the main Zora Domain shrine, whose puzzle I got frustrated with and had eventually quit attempting a month ago, and the last one was a shrine quest with a reputation for extreme frustration that made me a lot more reluctant to try it than I should have been.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

housefly posted:

You need them to upgrade some of the armor.

Assuming you ignore jewelry/circlets and amibo armer, and try to get everything to level 4, you're eventually going to need...

45 pieces of Amber, 129 Luminous Stones, 45 opals, 15 Rubies, 15 Sapphires, and 30 topazes (along with various other ingredients) to upgrade all the armor in the game.

This (admittedly slightly unintuitive) tool works to calculate what you need for upgrades based on what you have. http://www.volv.org/zelda/

That said, unless you are on a serious upgrade kick, it's definitely not worth attempting to hoard the luminous stones, (though you should probably keep about 10-20 of them to trade for diamonds if you are routinely using Champion weaponry.)

Other gems probably only worth keeping about 10-20 at any one time as well.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Spergatory posted:

I can't tell you how surprised and happy I was when I visited Hyrule Castle for the first time and heard nothing of the traditional LttP theme.

Link to the Past, no. But the Hyrule Castle music has that distinctive Ganon's Tower riff from Ocarina of Time that's also been in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

Is the guardian armor worth getting . That's a lot of mats.

At level 2 it gives you ancient proficiency, a significant damage boost to Ancient Weaponry that stacks with Attack Bonuses from Food. It's also as good as the Soldier Armor on Defense when maxed out, which beats all but the Champion's Tunic.

Yeah, it's worth it, especially if you want to stock up on ancient materials.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Hang out near the Eldin Great Skeleton in the morning. Typically he shows up around 7-9am.

Alternatively, wait for night at Tabantha Bridge Stable, then get to the other end of the bridge. He'll pass under the bridge soon afyer, I think about 9-10 pm?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

No climbing, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6ub-Z7snI

maltesh
May 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yowza, gonna have to get my hands on that thing.

Right now all I've got left outside of Koroks is farming Star Fragments for armor upgrades; is there a better way to farm them other than waiting for full moons and watching from the top of the dueling peaks?

Yes. Ignore the moon phase. Full moons have /nothing/ to do with Star Fragment frequency, A Star Fragment will fall almost every night.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm virtually certain the saving and quitting is not necessary. Since I'm the only one using my Switch, and I don't really have other games to play on it at this time, I quit the game very rarely (maybe once every two to three weeks) and let the Switch go into Sleep Mode when I'm not using it.

But when I want Star Fragments,I just head to the top of Dueling Peaks, build the fire, face a direction with a good sky view, and wait until night, and then watch the sky until a Star Fragment falls or it's 3AM. One almost always does.

If one does, I recover it, and if I need more, I just return to Dueling Peaks, drop another campfire, and wait for the following Night, and repeat the process.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

well why not posted:

weird, one of the first quests I found was about getting some books from the library. think it triggered from a stable i found a couple hours in

Yes, there are three side quests that I can think of offhand that require information or items that are found in Hyrule Castle. Two of them are received at stables.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

El Gar posted:

You can shield parry these too.

I shall have to try that the next time a Stalmoblin throws a Pebblit at me.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

I did this with the first dungeon puzzle of Skyward Sword (the eye ball one). I did it right the first time, I just didn't spin the eye enough to make it dizzy and open the door. I had to look up the solution online. :negative:

Yeah, I did that too. Though I guess it's not that big a sin with Skyward Sword; the game hast that Gossip Stone sitting on Skyloft that will walk you through pretty much any puzzle.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

A couple Korok seeds, if I recall correctly. Some Ore depoits of decent quality, but nothing to write home about.

Other than being next to one of the legacy Skyward Sword locations (and you probably found the Shrine nearby), it's not that remarkable. It's probably a decent place to practice your Flying Guardian Killing Technique.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

gently caress this blood moon shrine. I'm on 119/120 and I'm having to stand around waiting for a random goddamn event to trigger.

Don't stand around.

Go out and kill things. Sufficient enemy death (or other memory overflow issues) is what triggers a Blood Moon, and you only have to get there before the Blood Moon Cinematic actually triggers.

Just run around and murder stuff, then either check with the guy at Dueling Peak stables, or watch the moon as it rises, then make your way back to the pedestal.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

So I just got this game. (Yes, I know I'm a tad late, but the entire province of Alberta has been a loving ghost town as far as Switches are concerned.) Anything I need to know-hot tips,strats, etc? And on the Amiibo front,anything that's a must-have? Besides the one that gives you Epona,I've already ordered that one.

Wait at least until you've left the Great Plateau and have found at least one Stable before you use the Epona Amiibo. If you can't get her to a stable and registered, and you allow the game to despawn her, it will likely be quite some time before the Amiibo will spawn her again.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Pierson posted:

I assume there's no way to skip the tutorial plateau?

That's pretty much correct. If you do manage to get off the plateau without having the paraglider, the game will reset you to the ledge outside the Shrine of Resurrection once you get a short distance from the Plateau's base.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

No, it's a head slot.

Regarding Master Mode I don't have any desire to play it currently because I only just finished the game myself a few days ago and I have no desire to go through it all again anytime soon. Maybe in a year or so I'll give it a try.

I'm certain to give it a shot, but I never made it through Twilight Princess's Cave of Ordeals (though I did make it through Wind Waker's). I get the feeling I will not be sufficiently skilled to work my way through these Sword Trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

How does that work, every time i've done that im stuck holding a rock and by the time i put it down the lizard is long gone. theres plenty of lizards there anyway you just have to sneak up to them

As mentioned, Just instantly tap A the moment you pick up /any/ rock, before you even know what's under it, while the lifting animation is still going on.

There is basically nothing in the game that you would find under rocks that can harm you, and Link's hands do not need to be free to grab what's under there.