Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'd love for the hookshot to come back, but I'm really really really hoping for some kind of playable instrument.

e: like a trombone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Though it sucks knowing a super cool weapon you just nabbed will eventually break, I'm pretty sure weapon/shield durability are central to why this game works so well. The fact that a weapon won't make your character overpowered forever and break the game allowed the designers to grant tons of player agency. In other modern open world games this is limited by stats/leveling/xp, which are arbitrary, and after a while, you know you really didn't actually DO much yourself. In past Zeldas you just had to wait for weapons to be granted to you in a more-or-less linear fashion. In very few other games can you sneak somewhere you shouldn't and grab a way-out-of-your-league weapon and use it to defeat a way-out-of-your-league enemy. Cooking is integral to agency too, not to mention the rune abilities you're given from the outset. Progression in BotW is almost purely a matter of understanding how the game's mechanics work together and how to best wield them. It's super cool. :master:

Shields shouldn't take damage while surfing though. :colbert:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Henry Black posted:

Is buying ancient weapons from Robbie a waste? Do you get free replacements?

Is there anywhere to stock up on arrows reliably? Beedle only ever seems to carry one pack of 10 at a time.

If you just want normal arrows go bug some archer bokoblins on the plateau and run around like an idiot while they shoot at you. Kill any melee dudes first. I got like 30 this way.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I did the ol' Kakariko/Hateno/Zora thing that it seems the devs had in mind. Just got my first quest from the Zora king guy. Haven't really managed to beef myself up very much yet though. Any easy/conveniently located shrines in the starting areas (east) you folks could direct me to?

I also did a ton of other exploration. Found this sweet trippy area with all these majestic blue ghost animals to the west of the plateau, before the weird giant toadstool zone thing. Got a picture of the king of the mountain there, what/whoever that is. Also made it to the birdpeople village and climbed to the top of their tower with somehow with just my crappy bad stamina.

It's kind of cheaty but you can repeatedly let go while climbing most not-super-steep mountans and hold diagonal-up to walk back and forth in short spurts and regain stamina. I've scaled tons of super high cliffs with no extra help just by doing this.

Also, anyone else get their horse stuck on a mountain and wiggle it around to get it to slide down? I love the game but the horse implementation is the first thing wearing on me. I'm generally faster on my own. Maybe it gets better later.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Is there any more Korok to explore without being swallowed by the mist? It's such a relatively small area for being so cool looking, so I'm gonna be sad if that's all the whimsical woodsy stuff in the game. Also, it seems like a huge chunk of map is taken up by Lost Woods mist shenanigans. I feel a bit cheated. >: (

causticBeet posted:

Rain is the most hilariously unfun bullshit. Like it's a neat idea but you literally cannot climb in the rain and it's such a huge part of the traversal mechanics.

The frequency of rain sucks a giant butthole. A few things I've noticed that kind of help:

- rain is somewhat dynamic in that it won't just fall through scenery. I've frequently been able to climb like normal if there's a ledge/overhang/anything above me shielding the rain.
- mashing the jump button will get you farther than attempting to climb normal speed.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Autonomous Monster posted:

I loved Witcher 3 to death, but I'm definitely loving this more, and I'm struggling to figure out why. I think part of it is, W3 only really has three regions. BotW has a lot more, and a lot more distinct biomes to go with it. So the world seems a lot bigger, but at the same time, BotW seems to respect my time a lot more? It never takes that long to get anywhere- or if it does, it's because I got sidetracked by some other interesting thing. More than that, every little area has its own distinct feel. A lot of the space between places in W3 felt like filler; just somewhere to ride through. In BotW, I don't get that feeling. Hell, I'm not sure I could get lost in this game, even Generic Mountain Valley #17 has a unique identity.

What's bugging me is that I cannot work out exactly how they accomplished this. There's nothing obviously different here from any other open world roam-a-thron.

I think this is because of the game's systems and core mechanics. You can use any bit of terrain or any object in the world in conjunction with your abilities for some purpose. A boring ol' chunk of ugly mountain geography can actually be utilized, whether you're rolling something down it, climbing up it, flying off of it, etc. The same with grass, water, etc. The systems make everything at least somewhat meaningful and not just art assets to look at and pass by.

I also dig that animals/critters/food/materials that are only present in certain locales give the game a bit of a pokemon element. A dragonfly that gives heat resistance is found roughly where you'd expect, etc.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
If you're using Joy-Cons, putting them in the grip (or going portable) is 100% necessary if you're doing any motion stuff at all. Makes aiming nice too. When I had them out it was a nightmare to do anything motion-y.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Lemming posted:

I disagree with this, I play at least half the time with the joycons split and I use gyro for everything including aiming. It's only using the right joycon for gyro anyway, and I'm a rightie so it works out really well for me.

Oh crap, I wish I knew that. I was trying to hold them parallel to one another like an idiot.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a trick to getting higher level food and elixirs? I'm trying to get level 2 cold resistance foods and elixirs, and no matter how much of any particular ingredient I use I just get level 1s. How does cooking and potion crafting work?

I've had luck using just 5 of a single ingredient (the different variations of mushrooms I think?) to get mid-level.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I wouldn't mind Nintendo Majora's Masking BotW and pumping out a sequel with the same engine but a retooled plot/areas/characters/rune abilities. That or a Metroid game with the same engine.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Are there any playable instruments in the game? I know it's letting go of the usual conventions, but I want a goofy instrument to shred on even if it doesn't do anything else.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even "Majora's Masking" a BoTW sequel would be another 3-4 year wait. The reason the game is so big and full of poo poo to do is they've been working on it since 2012.

Of course. I'd still be up for it.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 10, 2017

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm somewhat disappointed at the way that Great Hyrule Forest/Korok/Lost Woods are handled in this game. Initially I thought that after I got through the lost woods, I'd be able to come and go and traverse it like any other area. Unfortunately, you're shuffled off to a relatively small virtual room. Climb up the highest branch at the top of the Deku tree and look out and the horizon is just flat with a few fake landmarks scattered about. I was looking forward to an entire whimsical/magical forest area to explore and instead got an incredibly small hub and a few mini-dungeon challenges. I'm sure it's due to engine limitations, since I can't imagine Korok existing as-is in the overworld without enormous performance issues, but still.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
My assumption is because of the sun/weather effects + all of the grass/foliage + rendering the full horizon. The framerate dips most frequently when those three things are present because of the fancy volumetric lighting and shader stuff going on with the sun on the grass. I'm pretty sure that's why you don't even properly see the sun there beyond a few baked-in light beams.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
It's not a new feature but I'd love more stamps so I can specify which material I found where. Critters, ore deposits, mushrooms, etc. I'm pretty excited about the second DLC coming around the Holiday which will "expand the story, add challenges and a new dungeon."

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Are there any villages/settlements outside of the main Rito and Gerudo towns in the western half of the map?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I hate that little jerk. I tried 5 times, left, came back again and did it successfully. Only I decided to go into the Shrine before speaking to him like an idiot. When I came out that dumb little jerk's position was reset and it was like I never followed him. Two more tries and I pulled off the "run ahead" thing and finally finished it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Zore posted:

People who want to throw that out are weird. Part of the integral Zelda experience is the echoes of continuity, the fact its a recurring cycle. Thats cool and has been present since the begining.

Of course there are callbacks. It's not contested that the devs pull from from a consistent bed of elements when they're making a new entry in the series. There are places/characters that will always return to qualify the thing as a legit Zelda game. That said, continuity has clearly not been a thing the designers have cared much about. Nintendo only shoehorned all the games into that dumb diagram to appease their weird internet fans.

This is the equivalent of mapping a shared universe for the 1960s/Tim Burton/Christopher Nolan/ Ben Affleck Batman shows/films because they all have Alfred, the Batmobile, Wayne Manor, and cool gadget things.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 15, 2017

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Vintersorg posted:

I feel a bit lost aside from just exploring everywhere - not that the older games gave you too much direction on where to go. And like any open world game - side quests out the wazoo.

After reaching Hateno and finding Zora's Domain (but before doing their quests) I started wandering around everywhere on the west side of the map. Started on the outskirts of Gerudo, then moved up to Tabintha (Which looked like a sweet Roger Dean album cover, though I wish I waited till later to find it., visited the Rito Village, and then died a few times in the northern snowy mountain zone I wasn't ready for. Most of it involved scaling rock faces using that cheaty stamina method, and other than discovering the sweet area with the blue light and the King of the Mountain, it wasn't a good time. After ~5 hours of this I started getting pretty down on the game, so I went back and did a few more main quest thingies and now it feels pretty rad again. Though you CAN go anywhere, it's pretty easy to soft-spoil areas/characters best saved for later and ruin any future sense of wonder for yourself.

I'd suggest getting all the rune upgrades from Hateno and maybe the Master Sword? first if you're feeling fatigued. Then you can just pick which dungeon to go after and do it without having to figure out how to circumvent super strong enemies or weather you're not ready for.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 15, 2017

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RCarr posted:

The assassin hideout? It's pitifully easy. Just throw down a banana, wait for them to prance over to it, and whack them in the back. There's nothing difficult about it unless you are super impatient.

Nah I think they were talking about stupid little Oaki.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Is it possible to parry the flying Guardians? I'm having one heck of a time getting Link to Z-Target the dadgummed things.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Runcible Cat posted:

This one's shrine's so hard to find (Maka Rah, by that lake in Hebra) I'm convinced the other monks looked at the plans, rolled their eyes, said oh well everyone's got to do one and we don't have time to redesign, just stick this shitweasel spike fetishist somewhere no-one'll ever find him.

I actually stumbled upon that randomly after doing the Rito archery test thing and deciding to see what was in the area. :angel:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
How do you start the Kakariko Kuckoo quest? I'm 60 hours in and still haven't found the NPC or whatever.

Also, are there different voices for US/UK? The faux-British in the US gets pretty horrendous sometimes.

Observations:

I enjoy the cycle of remembering where rare critters spawn/stealthily grabbing them up/harvesting monster bits/making elixirs/selling for money. The systems in the game are dynamic enough that it never feels like grinding. Discovering a new area where a bunch of useful bugs reside is even a bit of a rush sometimes. It's also relaxing in between more intense combat/puzzle bits.

I've had more difficulty with basic enemies than I've had with any major bosses. The Rito one wasn't hard but I found Zora's criminally easy. Maybe it's because I went in with 11 hearts? Are all of them this way? That said, still haven't been able to take down a Lynel.

I think the unabashed videogamey elements are an enormous advantage that BotW has against other open worlds. There's no serious attempt at explaining to players why 900 puzzles are scattered in the most dangerous and inaccessible parts of this world. It's purely because a bunch of forest spirits felt like it. It's nice to have gameplay emphasized without worrying about believable context.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Spergatory posted:

If there's one thing that I would ask of the next Zelda, it's that the dungeons... how do I put this... make sense?

I want Zelda to keep that feeling going forward. I want to explore and reclaim spaces that actually feel like they have a reason to exist. Hell, I wouldn't mind more temples, so long as they are more like Corrupted Places of Worship as opposed to Huge Obvious Deathtraps Designed by Crazy People.

I'm okay with the shrines/dungeons not being given a reason to exist beyond just being puzzles/challenges for you to figure out. Not that I disagree, but I enjoy the extreme they took this to as a subversion of the open world formula. I would've definitely appreciated more variation in shrine visuals/music (maybe tweaks depending on the region of the world they're in?) but overall I think it's refreshing that the game was okay to just be a videogame and not concern itself with convincing players that these things are just organically part of this world for whatever reason. I liked just seeing dumb korok blocks embedded in the side of a mountain just because a designer felt like it'd be fun to put there. That doesn't happen most of the time in modern AAA games because they're obsessed with being immersive, cinematic experiences and not games.

When players begin to master the mechanics, that facade sort of falls away anyway and the juxtaposition between the videogamey actions you're repeating and the ~serious believable world~ get pretty glaring. In NES games, the things are just things. You just accept them because it's a game. Again, I wouldn't mind more set dressing myself - but I think what they did was pretty intentional.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 20, 2017

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I think the weapon system is an important part of why progression in the game works so well, but it's definitely a bit of a drag at times. I'd have preferred finding fewer unique/special weapons and all of them having higher durability as a trade-off. Or an NPC who grants you a weapon fixin' in exchange for stuff/money, similar to the unique weapon smiths in Zora, Rito, etc. It doesn't bug me much anymore since I've re-calibrated my brain to think of weapons as consumables, but I think they could've given a bit more grace without ruining the balance.

Mordaedil posted:

I don't have a problem with the dungeons, because actually, how we define dungeons is all wrong. People probably go into Zora's domain and think "well, this is just part of the overworld, ho-hum, can't wait to get to the actual dungeon", never realizing that they've already stepped into it. All the way going from where you are forced to abandon your horse until you fight the boss *is* the dungeon. It's a dungeon designed around their decisions for how items and weapons work. It's a dungeon with no roof, which is why I think people are confused. The animal itself? That's just the final puzzle of the dungeon (and there's more after it too)

This is a good point. Many of the wilderness areas that aren't explicitly connected to one of the races/Divine Beasts are also designed in a very intentionally dungeon-y way imo.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've sort-of said this already but I think what makes this game stand out when compared to other open world games is the pure videogameyness of the whole thing. The worlds of the Fallouts and Skyrims and Witchers are very cinematic and lore-heavy and there seems to be a need to sell you on every game mechanic having some modicum of believability. There's always an in-universe explanation as to why you're doing repetitive videogame things. In BotW it seems the designers prioritized making the game world fun on a mechanical/systems level and left the lore/contextualization for later. There's a ~level design~ feeling to the overworld rather than a ~real lived-in place~ one and I really really dig it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm bad at stealth and I'm getting my rear end kicked at the Yiga clan hideout.

Since this is a fairly open game, are there any ways around this? I've even tried stasis freezing guys but, and this probably has a lot to do with my lack of patience, I keep getting caught.

I failed that about 3 times. Throwing bananas in a path to distract guards and climbing walls eventually helped me win it. I also used stasis right before rushing to the next room just in case. A friend said you can hide in barrells by simply picking them up and standing still, it apparently made it super easy in his opinion.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I went to the shrine without speaking to Oaki as well and had to redo it. It probably wasn't intentional, but the design comes off as a bit jerky. There's not enough of pattern to pick up on during a player's first go-around to succeed using pure logic/skill. Especially when he turns around immediately after the stump, and again with the wolf. He actually cries for help there. If you got through it on your first try you were fortunate.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
My favorite is Rito, followed by Hateno, followed by T-Town and Kakariko. I really like the instrumentation in Goron but don't find the composition that exciting. I like Lurelin's theme too and wish Zora's Domain was a bit more in that direction.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Say what you will about the soundtrack as a whole but i'll fight anybody who doesn't like the Lost Woods music :colbert:

Lost Woods is fantastic. Super Steve Reich/minimalist sounding imo.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Designers shouldn't assume a player's experience. It's possible to design a challenging stealth mission that isn't dependent on familiarity with genre tropes. If the rules of the Oaki mission applied to any other part of the game, I'd give it a pass. The Yiga mission did stealth right imo.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
All funky looking armor sets need interesting powers that aren't just night speed. Even if it's just fun stuff like growing a trail of flowers behind you. It was very frustrating for me to give that guy all my monster parts only to find that the Dark Link armor doesn't actually do anything unique.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also I went through my captures and found the first one I took. Gosh I was so full of wonder about what was going to be beyond the edge of the Great Plateau :kiddo:

I miss this. I've been playing it slowly over the last 9 months to make it last, but I think I'm going to stop and wait a few years so I hopefully forget stuff.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

jivjov posted:

You will, generally speaking, get more powerful over time because you'll start finding better weapons and armor and such; and if you max out your health you probably won't have to worry about dying too terribly often. But getting to that point is half the fun.

As far as "things you probably should do" I think you've already completed that. General advice is to follow the plot til you reach Kakariko and then just go off and do whatever looks interesting.

I'd extend that to the town after Kakariko too :0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Bleck posted:

My only problem with BotW 'dungeons' is that they all looked the same. I want BotW's dungeon/puzzle structure, but with like, Zora-themed architecture around watery places, big lava mine places made by Gorons, etc.

Yeah, this was my only beef too. At the very least, pepper the shrine interiors with modified tiles or small setpieces that reflect the part of the world they're in. Or do regional variations on the shrine music.