Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I played the hell out of those games when I was a kid. Those and a Berenstain Bears game on the CD-i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I guess I would have been 7. My dad owned/managed a store where he was trying to sell CD-i's as one of their products and bought an extra so he/we could try it out for testimonials, etc. Needless to say he lost a bit on that investment. I hadn't gotten a chance to play LttP at the time, though I had heard of it, so the "newer" Zelda games were practically a dream.

The CD-i came with multiple controllers. The first one was essentially a DVD remote for use in the CDs, but you could also use it for the games. The other one was pretty close to what you would see in a video game console. The final controller was a big bulky thing for kids that had two really big buttons and a giant ball you had to roll to input movement (like a trackball mouse). That is what I used when playing.

There isn't much to say about the Zelda games because I was awful at them (likely due to the controller, but still I was a kid). I wanted my dad to get us the third Zelda game for it but he never did, same with this.....Mario Hotel (?) game. By the time I was 9 or so my parents bought me an SNES with LttP, so I pretty much forgot about the CD-i games until I saw everyone dunking on them online.

The Berenstain Bears game was mostly just a "good kid" training game. You went around the village helping out people's problems and doing puzzles and crafts along the way. There was a quilting game in it I remember liking. This game was significantly easier to play with the kid controller.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

MM is great. MM3D is great. Play either. Or both.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Urbosa's Fury was more palatable to me once I realized I could press B when it was priming to cancel it on my spin attacks.

Really, all of the powers for me wound up annoying me more than being useful, other than Revali's Gale. Daruk's Protection messes with my timing on shield bash/reflections, and Mipha's Grace has a habit of activating between killing hits (either two Lynel attacks, etc. or falling down a cliff). I didn't realize until 3rd playthrough or so you could turn them off. Still, they do have their utility. Urbosa's Fury is great on the Moldugas, because you can bomb to take it down, then spin attack until it is about to get up, then release the spin and Fury, then repeat.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You'll know when you have all the fairies. E. actually it is possible that is only in the remaster. not sure. Regardless, yeah 15.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I can’t blame Smol for feeling like the dungeon item should be used to kill the boss, since that is most Zelda dungeons, but it’s a drat shame that the best boss fight in the game was made a little worse.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Seems great so far. Echoing the controls issue though. There were a lot of good options already, but switching to the other control scheme should be added to them. Using Cryonis and Bombs feels really natural and intuitive. I was thrown a curveball with the implications of the story in the opening cutscene, but I'm still excited to see where it goes.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Was the enemy showing the blue Sheikah rune on it at the time? It may be it only works then, like how the cryonic on works well when they are charging, etc.

I have thus far gotten the best results with Impa (most symbols) by button mashing. I can consistently get the symbol from the third combo (XXXY) when it appears (though it sometimes doesn't), but the other two I can't get on command for some reason. She is an absolute beast with 1-3 symbols though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Smol posted:

I beat the Stone Temple boss, so I suppose I’m almost at the endgame. Trying to finish unresolved quests right now. I made some progress in the Anju & Kafei quest by getting into Sakon’s hideout, but I suppose I wasn’t quick enough with the puzzles to save the mask. I’ll have to try that again tomorrow...

Oof, yeah I hate when that happens.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like both Mipha and Revali's playstyles so far. Haven't gotten to the other two. Neither compares with the absolute insanity that is Impa, of course. I'm wondering if the Master Sword will be as OP for Link as it was in HW. I got a two-handed so have to try it. Haven't gotten a spear yet. Looking forward to trying it out.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I had more trouble with the first than with the second two. The third was just annoying due to its length IMO. Though, making sure to grab all the ancient arrows helps with that tremendously, as does using an Attack+++ potion before.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The OoT one is the same way. He messes with his angle to warp to all the bosses.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah on my last master mode play through I did the glitch to get the Master Sword right after the plateau, then glitched through all three trials. It’s fun to have permanent sword beams to break ore deposits all game, and beating the trials on MM once was enough for me.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You do not have the capacity to get all the fairies. Jirard did a ton of stuff no one in their right mind would do, because the game has completion medals/achievements for everything. He's truly a beast, and I love his content, but I absolutely did not consider all that necessary to "complete" HWDE. I 100% A-ranked all the adventure mode maps and got all the skulltulas, weapons, heart pieces, and heart containers, and I consider it Completed. My game file says 285 hours (though, to be honest, there is a lot from the original and Legends that isn't counted there, and probably made this take a shorter amount of time since I knew all the movesets). Unless you are having fun with it, do not do *every challenge in challenge mode* with *every character* or stuff like that. The Adventure mode is a really fun thing to chip down and finishing all the main stuff in it feels rewarding.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The thing I don’t like about Eventide is that if you glide over, when you die you respawn at the cliff. It should have just let you start back when your stuff got taken away.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I know the world already has too many remakes and not enough new ideas, but I would kill for an Ocarina of Time remaster/reimagining along the same veins as the FF7 one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm getting into Breath of the Wild late on a whim and hey, this game manages to mix up Zelda enough with open world action adventure and actually manages to bring most of the best from both while avoiding the pitfalls.

Big Horse is best horse.

My first run I went that direction first and found that giant horse, but it bucked me off. Then I went forward a little and found a Lynel. That horsie also did not want to be ridden, and said so rather violently.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This is Paya erasure, and I won't have any of it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

A quick Google says you can’t use stasis on the Korok balloons in BOTW, but you can in AoC

You can on the acorn ones, if I am remembering correctly. Either it's those only or the balloons only.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

He'll only be in three locations before his final location, which is an area you will probably want to find for its own sake, and if you find that area before seeing him at the second or third locations, he'll just be there instead. But no to the camera or beacon thing.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Monster Maze posted a theory video on the Master Cycle Zero today, and it made me wonder if the DLC for Age of Calamity is gonna have it as a potential weapon for Link, like Epona was in Hyrule Warriors.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just wrapped up a pseudo "challenge" run:
  • Master Mode
  • No optional shrines
  • No equipment upgrades (actually only got equipment at all for environmental reasons, and not a complete set
  • No hearty foods (only used undura food once, and that was for climbing, I think)
  • All divine beasts and Champion's Ballad, then memories, then Ganon

Caveat on it being a real challenge run: I did a couple glitches to get the Master Sword and fully upgrade it with that low amount of health. I just love having it for its durability (especially for using the non-degrading sword beams), but it admittedly helped in fights as well.

It was pretty fun! Basically anything could kill me in one hit, and I couldn't use the slow time fast arrows very often because of low stamina. I did Naboris->Rudania->Medoh->Ruta. Thunderblight was tough because I couldn't do enough damage in the second round to prevent the Guardian beam, and one reflection wasn't enough, so I had to nail two in a row. Fireblight was easy as always. Windblight was okay, but I wound up going through all my bomb arrows (like 30). Waterblight was easy first round but pretty difficult the second round, since I could only get off one, maybe two shots and then have to swim (and maybe drown) in the small amount of time it was down. Their repeat fights during the Ballad weren't any more difficult, for the most part. Maz Koshia was fun as usual.

Ganon took me a couple tries. Wound up using all all the Champion's abilities save Revali's Gale to take him down.

Still might continue the save and complete it, but it was a nice change. This was the only one I haven't gotten all the shrines and most equipment and upgrades throughout the game (sometimes before doing any Divine Beasts).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

There have been some rumors about OoT rerelease on Switch soon, but I don't know how valid they are and I don't think MM is in the same boat regardless.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just finished (normal mode, first run) Skyward Sword 100%. We'll see if I feel like doing hero mode soon, though I got enough of every treasure so I can upgrade each item whenever I want if I do start a run. This game is really good. I was not entirely happy with SS originally, though I did like it. But all the changes they made just made it so much better. It already had a great story, but now the gameplay keeps up with it. The linearity is a bit much (there were many points I deliberately went a certain way to explore, only to find out that was the only way I could have gone anyway), but that's the style I guess.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

After looking to see what someone was referring to as Terrible Fate I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyUcwsjyd8Q

which claims that Link was robbed of his childhood and basically dies at the end and becomes a stalfos/Dark Link.

Bitter 9021 y/o boy.

Yeah, I love this video. It does a great job of explaining (to me) why I love OoT so much, beyond nostalgia.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah shields are probably the easiest to have excess of, so use the hell out of them. Parrying is great and doesn't deplete durability, but if you are unsure of your timing just take the hit on the shield.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ocarina has the best, most consistent dungeons imo. For the 3D games, anyway. LttP has good ones as well. Majora has Stone Tower, which is great. WW is lacking other than the final dungeon (much like BotW). TP has Snowpeak, which is one of the best, though not a lot of other high points. Skyward Sword was great in the Lanayru dungeons and meh otherwise.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah LttP is so good. Glad you're getting to experience it for the first time!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Metroid Prime was my first Metroid game, so I experienced the same thing when I finally played Super Metroid and heard the Lower Norfair theme.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oh man, I just noticed the gun is the Master Sword.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Not sure I can get on board with Link being a cop, considering he almost exclusively helps the people of Hyrule. I guess if you consider Lizalfos, Bokoblins, etc. people of Hyrule (or allegories for the oppressed) instead of just monsters, then maybe. But our dude Link can’t even walk 20 feet (especially in BotW) without being ambushed.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Necrothatcher posted:

Isn't that in the Oracle games?

And the Paper Mario/Mario RPG games!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

SS is more of an exemplar of modern 3D Zelda, but BotW is much closer to the original.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Cartoon Man posted:

I decided to finally give master mode a try. I like the part where I’m running from a god drat Lynel on the great plateau because HOLY gently caress THERE’S A GODDAMN LYNEL ON THE GREAT PLATEU AND ALL I GOT IS A FEW TREE BRANCHES, A BOKOBLIN ARM, AND MY SHEIKA SLATE BOMBS!!!!

It’s great. There is a speed run category or maybe just a challenge that just involve killing every enemy on the plateau in Master Mode (including that Lynel) before doing the tower or getting any runes. Definitely watch one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve been enjoying my Master mode play through. It’s a tad disappointing that the Divine Beasts aren’t harder or remixed. But I’m having fun with it, I can definitely recommend it for veterans of the game that want something different. But like the base game, you get overpowered at some point and it’s not too hard. Still fun though.

The DLC versions on MM are nice because of the lack of options.

quote:

I just got the Master Sword. Is the trial of the sword any different on Master Mode?

Different as in different challenges, or different as in leveling up the enemies like in the base game so that the lizalfos water floor is a slog through hell?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

She looks like she’s texting.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just played through Link to the Past again. What a loving masterpiece.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I absolutely got stuck on the kebob puzzle 10 years ago or whenever it came out. And yeah, Fi doesn't shut up anywhere else but has nothing for it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I would love a system similar to BotW where you get most of the tools at the start except they’re the masks from MM. Could even pick up a few other masks as the game progressed. Like the mole dudes from SS to go through mountains or something, and a new species to climb better.

As far as Age of Calamity, yeah the lack of adventure mode did it for me. I put in so many hours to the original Hyrule Warriors (for 3 systems) but there wasn’t much to do in AoC after beating it. Also I was in the minority that preferred the combat from the original, possibly just because of how much time I had put into it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

New bomb launch to the sun strat just dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Some garbage ratings in there but good/funny justifications.