Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Minor OP nitpick: Link to the Past was the first game in the series to have a constant "helper" character to give you area-specific advice. It was Sahasrahla. It's just that accessing his advice was always something the player had to choose to do.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Rime posted:

Havok Physics is going to make this game amazing. :allears:

When I was a kid I fantasized about a Zelda game with a lot of environmental physics interactions to solve puzzles. The most creative thing that came to my mind was putting lava in a magic bottle to then melt boulders later. Now they're doing it and in way cooler ways, too! :dance:

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 15, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Zuzie posted:

This game appears to be pretty bare bones and plots you right in the game as soon as you start. I kinda liked that about Link Between Worlds, so this game doing it is pretty good.

Also echoing the statement that it really does feel like the first Zelda game. Which is also nice.

Having this game take a "less is more" approach to story for at least the first third or so would be really cool. I'm really not into the long intros we've been having lately.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I sure hope it does, because I think Zelda is a game that could really work well with plot being a discoverable commodity.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Jsor posted:

Yeah, my shameful secret is that I've never beat Zeldas 1 or 2. TLOZ I came drat close then real life got in the way. Zelda 2 I just can't, I always just end up grinding in the first field forever because I know from experience that if I go to the first temple without doing so I will die a horrible death and game over, and I don't think I've ever gotten past the second dungeon due to either grind burnout or sheer difficulty.

The secret is to jump and slash at enemy heads. That works on a huge number of enemies in the game, and it was the thing that made the game finally beatable for me.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

What happens if Link runs out of weapons entirely? Can he bust out some sick Muy Thai?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The guy who's directing the game didn't just direct Skyward Sword and the Minish Cap, he was also a part of the team that done did the Oracle games way back when.

I hope they include a random rear end witch you can just launch into and ruin her day.

Now that I think about it, didn't one of the GB games have a boxing segment?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I think that's probably what I'm remembering.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

romanowski posted:

this is exactly what happens in ocarina

Conversely, this makes it very likely to happen in a future Zelda game. The whole "three dungeons, major twist that creates new goal, rest of the game" structure has been a staple since LttP after all, right? :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What it's an all new timeline where, instead of "the hero is defeated", child OOT Link is like "this shits a trap" and decides to gently caress off with the stones and Ocarina and never opens the Sacred Realm?

I think this is the equivalent of what happens in the child timeline, except that Link would now have the stones too.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Triskelli posted:

Just stumbled across this guy independently, the Link's Awakening video is enlightening for pointing out how many "Zelda Traditions" started with Link's Awakening instead of Link to the Past.

I see Ocarina of Time as a combination of Link to the Past's overall plot structure with a lot of Link's Awakening's approach to the actual content.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

I got mod approval to post about this, so here it is.

Does anyone know much about the Alttp randomizer? It's a romhack of a link to the past where they randomize chest contents.

https://dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer

Differences from the normal game

Wait, so what if the hookshot appears in a dungeon you need the hookshot to access? I'm new to this randomizer stuff so I'm not sure what kind of expectation I'm supposed to have with regards to resultant games being possible.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

To be honest, I've been watching my wife play LttP for the first time lately and I was kind of surprised at how little block pushing and lantern lighting there is compared to what I remember from my childhood. Granted, she's only up to Blind at this point, but I think LttP leans way harder on combat and finding the right way to enter a room. When I look at the puzzles from the perspective of someone who doesn't already know the solutions (e.g. my wife), a lot of things that don't even register to me as a puzzle anymore suddenly seem very interesting. For example, watching someone figure out how to get the Book of Mudora off the top shelf and the smile that follows is pretty great. Same goes for someone figuring out the route to the piece of heart you have 15 seconds to reach. She did indeed wonder why the gently caress pushing a block opens a door in two of the Desert Palace rooms though.

If I had to guess why I still think of LttP as a block pushing and lantern lighting game, it's because some of the longest/hardest puzzles for me were probably moving a block across several rooms in Ice Palace or lighting all the torches while on a moving platform in Turtle Rock. They're the most classically Zelda puzzles I can think of outside of killing every enemy (which I think is unfair to consider a "puzzle" so much as a "challenge"), so they tend to stick in our minds more.

Edit: But yes I agree that Link Between Worlds's puzzles are definitely more complex and very fun. I think those dungeons are definitely created for an audience with a better baseline understanding of how video games work though.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 31, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

greatn posted:

Zelda 2 is a solid all around game. It's straightforward, has enough hints to tell you where to go, but is difficult. The only real problem with it is the massive difficulty curve upwards once you get the flute.

On Skyward Sword I think it's localization also kinda sucked. I wonder if other countries had a better time with it because some mechanics in the game were explained either poorly or flat out wrong.

Agreed, I think Zelda 2 deserves a bit more credit for being the stepping stone that it is between Legend of Zelda and Link to the Past. It had pretty solid hint-giving for the exploration stuff (though the later dungeons are pretty nuts and time consuming), and the resource spending decisions you had to make on a per-screen basis is something I enjoyed which kinda faded away as the series went on (LttP has hints of it but the combat being easier lets you avoid decisions like that most of the time).

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 1, 2017

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

MokBa posted:

Zelda 2 doesn't get good until you get the downstab.

Then that poo poo is majestic.

I hear a lot about the down stab and it certainly helped me kill Pos, but I ended up using the jump slash instead to kill most enemies until the end of the game. Maybe I wasn't doing it right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

I am a huge LTTP fanboy and I wouldn't say that BLW was a copy or not as good, its an incredibly well done distinct homage. LTTP aged incredibly well.

Agreed, I'm watching a person play through it now who has little experience with video games outside of Puyo Puyo), and I'm amazed at how well this game holds up and teaches the player in 2016. She's picking up almost everything very intuitively with a few exceptions (she didn't get the block pushing in Desert Palace).

As for LBW, I actually really like it because of how different it is from Link to the Past. I get two totally different experiences from them so it's hard for me to compare them. I think LBW actually gets better if you know what kind of game structure it's playing off of to surprise you.

I also think the term "has/hasn't aged well" is extremely vague. I feel like we need it specify what kind of experience we're seeking when we play old games, because many of us go in knowing that certain things we see now (e.g. tutorials and themes that subvert traditional concepts found in older games) may not appear in the old game, and many of us are playing games in a post-Internet world where the playground and Nintendo Power support system is something a lot of us actively avoid (remember, LttP even came with a sealed hint book if you needed help). We often take for granted how much outside information came into play back then.

That said, under the standard of "could be released today as an indie game" I firmly believe LttP holds up based on watching someone with no real gaming vocabulary learn it from scratch in very little time.

Note that this doesn't account for the many players who have grown up on Link to the Past clones without realizing it and will now just think "well, here we go again" playing LttP now. I think that's probably a common occurrence. I just don't think it's strictly about whether you played LttP in the 90s. It's also about what else you have or haven't played and your personal tastes.

Motto posted:

LttP's just never grabbed me much no matter how many times I've tried it, which is a shame since most people seem to agree that it's the best one. It's not just age either since I enjoyed Z1 just fine.

See, I appreciate this perspective. Sometimes a 2016 player just doesn't like a game and the "timelessness" of the game may not have a lot to do with it.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 2, 2017

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Harrow posted:

Weapons definitely have a clear attack stat in BotW and every weapon we've seen also has durability, so it definitely matters in one way or another. If the Master Sword was both a strong weapon and had infinite durability, you'd have little reason to use other weapons, which kills the whole weapon-scavenging thing. So they're going to have to limit it in some way, either by making it weak in most circumstances, only usable/worth using at the very end of the game, or giving it durability (that, I'd assume, can be repaired, unlike other weapons).

It looks like Link is carrying a very beaten up version of the sword in the trailer, so my guess is:

1) You rely purely on pick ups at the start and are always in danger of running out of items. Then,

2) You get the unpowered Master Sword which has infinite durability but is significantly weaker than many weapons you find, which means you can now use the sword on weak enemies and stockpile good weapons for hard areas, and then finally

3) Near the end of the game you get a fully powered infinite use master sword which the last quarter or third of the game is designed around.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

El Burbo posted:

Fallout always had full voice acting, what ruined it was giving the player character one as well. I don't think that will be a problem with Link

Fallout 1 had full acting for talking head characters and the intro and ending, but not for interactions with generic or minor characters. It also didn't have any voice acting for combat if I remember correctly.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was supposed to be "the calamity, Ganon."

The Japanese name seems to imply this too. Grammatically you would interpret it as Ganon who is a calamity. Kinda like that one game, I think it was called "That Dragon, Cancer"? Or like in Final Fantasy Tactics how you had stuff like "Magic City Gariland" or whatever. In Japanese it used the same adjective-describing-noun form that Calamity Ganon uses.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 15, 2017

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

that wasn't a japanese game, or possibly even a game

I meant it as an equivalent phrase in English, not an example of a Japanese game using it.

Looking back at that post, it does seem unclear. Sorry!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I guess you'd call something like that a Japanese cypher?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Man I loved the art in that game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Once the novelty of sword swings wear off fighting becomes a boring slog. Every enemy in the game I can recall off the top of my head is some form of bokoblin or stalfos and their only attack is "slowly walk up to link and hold sword up" and ehh. Just not enough variety.

Repeated visits to the same places I've been and a awful main villain just tank it for me. Only cool stuff in the entire game is the timestone things.

Besides this and the game constantly telling you where to go and what to do, I just didn't like how formulaic things felt for the first few dungeons (after which I quit). I hated earning the right to find the dungeon then finding pieces of a key to enter the dungeon then going through the dungeon itself; it just made the whole experience feel like I was collecting things nonstop.

It seems like it's designed to have a very tight and consistent loop of "find things, open gate, go to next challenge" which is certainly a big part of Zelda, but I kinda felt like I was on that track too often. And since I already know that the pieces of this key I'm collecting are just there to make it harder to get to the "real" challenge (the dungeon), it felt like the Zelda trappings worked against it here. It would be cooler if sometimes you had to get these three key pieces and then the dungeon wasn't a traditional Zelda dungeon at all; maybe it's just a boss or an item sitting in a chest. I think the problem was that the sense of discovery was gone from a formula that existed to feed a sense of discovery.

That's why I'm pretty happy that BotW is going for a bunch of smaller areas to explore; it means there's way less pressure for each one to conform to a pattern or to have a certain length requirement or whatever. It kinda looks more like a Mario 64 setup (lots of MacGuffins with varying amounts of effort required), which has me very intrigued.

Edit: Also I was really, really bad at bomb bowling and gently caress bomb bowling.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 21, 2017

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

I liked SS a lot. Thanks for listening.

I would hope all the negativity doesn't dissuade anyone like you from talking about why they like it a lot; I'd be interested to hear that! To be honest, I want to finally finish it before BotW comes out, and I really just need something to motivate me to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh they absolutely do. They have the best two storylines of any Zelda. Of the two however, Wind Waker's doesn't feel like it was concocted to give gameplay context. Instead, Wind Waker wanted to tell a story that culminated in "the conventions of this series need to go away". It was pretty rad.

That's how I read Wind Waker, too, and yeah it was indeed pretty rad.