Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't really mind the motion controls in the wrong version of Twilight Princess and I think they're perfectly fine in Skyward Sword.

But I would like to use this opportunity to complain, for the first time of my life, about the Wii motion controls. It's not Zelda specific though.

Okay, so I'm a modern person who watches tv through the internet. Cable tv is for old people, right?
My old Wii, which actually has gone mostly unused for the last two years or so, was the only reason I still hadn't put my old CRT TV with the trash yet. Yes, a CRT.

But the TV was dying and I wanted to get rid of it, so I found a solution: you can buy a 3rd party 'made in china' Wii2Hdmi converter thing, you plug it in the Wii's AV port and you plug in a HDMI cable on the other side et voila. That way I can use my computer screen when I want to use my Wii again.

Except it didn't work. I kept getting a black screen with an "Out of Range" error, while audio came through fine. Some googling taught me that this error had to do with having the wrong screen setting on the Wii. Okay, alright, I hook the Wii back up to the old CRT, went into the Wii options menu, went to the screen settings page, and there were three options: 50Hz, 60Hz and HDTV. HDTV was greyed out but internet told me that switching between 50 and 60Hz should work. It didn't. I was quite sure that the HDTV option would work, so I looked up how to enable it. "The Wii can detect the type of cable you plug in. The option will be enabled only when you plug in a HD cable". gently caress.

So, what I ended up having to do was memorize the options screen, plug in the HDMI convertor, point the Wiimote at a black screen, and blindly navigate it, my only help being the slight buzzes the Wiimote gives whenever you touch a button. I had to navigate the screen blindly with my Wiimote, count the buzzes, and somehow manage to press HDTV followed by OK. And it worked!

But at times like these, it would've been really incredibly convenient if the Wii options menu could understand the d-pad. Holy crap, I hate blind motion controls.

--------

Feel free to laugh at me.

CRTs don't go into the trash, you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I still have my red, Target-branded GBA with the Afterburner installed :cool:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

pentyne posted:

Nintendo really, really needs the Switch to be a runaway success and if sales look weak 1 year in the internet will be full of bloggers proclaiming the death of the Nintendo console for all time.

Man, that would rule. Imagine being able to play Nintendo games without having to buy Nintendo's overpriced, garbage-tier hardware. Maybe someday soon.......

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, their portables are pretty good.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You dorks have been arguing about DLC for like four pages. Go outside.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Um are you all forgetting the superslide???

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

So did anyone figure out what Rat Lean is?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

Is there much info on how the Switch and WiiU versions compare? Don't have money for a Switch so I'll be getting the WiiU version assuming it isn't a god awful port.

The game was built for the Wii U and ported to the Switch later in development. It'll be fine.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Things you could do that are more worth your time than watching a Digital Foundry video about performance numbers:

° Clean the kitchen
° Read a book
° Learn to program
° Learn a new recipe
° Go outside
° Draw a picture
° Play a video game
° Smoke weed
° Cut off your dick

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Holy gently caress

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lord Ephraim posted:

I don't think there's a single person that did it the way it was meant to. Instead using the maze as a bat or the underside to roll the ball onto the platform. Nintendo we've gone through this, no one likes forced gyro mini games.

The fact that the Switch supports motion controls is the largest reason I decided not to buy a Switch. If they're there, devs will use them. And motion controls suuuuuuuuck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

havenwaters posted:

Jokes on you, a few of the shrines require gyro controls and make you pick up the gamepad if you're playing on wii u

Yeah, and they suck.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

There was one, but it didn't remove a majority of it. I found a YouTube video, you have to climb a really small piece of debris and you can jump to the tower and over the goopy part.

How much more Stamina do you get for a Stamina Upgrade? I've been getting Heart Containers exclusively because I want more health to survive this brutal rear end world but I think I need more stamina at this point.

The game is so unforgiving it's hilarious. I was shooting arrows at a horseman guy, knocked him off his horse, and then accidentally shot the horse as it was running away. Sorry, horsey. Fight the dude for a few seconds, then HORSE OUT OF NOWHERE one-shots me. Ahahaha. Okay.

I need more hearts.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Holy shiiiiiit am I glad I didn't buy a Switch. The god awful motion controls puzzles in BOTW totally confirm that we're in for yet another generation of Nintendo games with gimped gameplay.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Harrow posted:

The game was originally developed for the Wii U, though, so those motion puzzles were going to be there with or without the Switch.

Yes. The main reason I didn't buy a Switch is because it has motion controls, and BOTW confirms Nintendo hasn't gotten over their boner for terrible control schemes, validating my decision.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm totally going to rub it in when the new Mario retains waggle to spin jump.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Press the L1 button.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You don't have to do any of them, I think.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sigher posted:

I believe there was a trophy for Richard in Melee, or one of the Smash games that explained this so I had no clue until years later. Ever since though I was interested in the game, is it good? I never got around to playing it but this post makes me thing I should get on that now.

If you can put up with a little bit of Old Game Jank, it's very good. Definitely give it a play-through, it's super cool to see a non-Zelda game made by the Link's Awakening crew.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

superjew posted:

LttP is not that good.

Seconded.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I tried the Oracle games once ages ago. I couldn't make it through the slowwwwwww text boxes. Seemed like it had way more talky than Link's Awakening. I'd like to give them another try.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

thechosenone posted:

This. The one thing I will not broker is the idea that 'gamers' as a group are somehow with major agency here. The common man/woman is no more ignorant than they were 30 years ago (and if anything is slightly more aware of some subjects, however narrow or shallow such understanding may be).

This is entirely the fault of the cancer that is corporare intellectual property and it's progenitor known as Capital.

Actually I think you will find that the truth is that I am extremely smart and everyone other than Me is a blind idiot. Thank you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Just beat the Water Temple and yeah, that dungeon still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Electromax posted:

I like hookshotting up the waterfall.

I will admit that is pretty cool.