Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Technology in Zelda-- whether it's divine, Twili, Sheikah, or whatever--- has had that Tron look to it since Wind Waker. They've really made it part of the series' visual identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Depends on how close the two version are to parity, and whether the NX has enough other stuff going for it to make a worthwhile immediate investment.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the fact that the old man didn't take damage or aggro Link makes it pretty clear that you can't kill him.

Haven't there been NPCs in past Zelda games that would react if you got in their face in certain ways?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

*Link constantly holds his sword the same way the player holds the remote*
Player: I guess I should swing my sword the way he would, too.
Skyward Sword fans: ACTUALLY, you idiot. you loving moron

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My point is that SS' control scheme tries to have it both ways. Instead of being strictly literal or being strictly abstract, it's in an inconsistent middle space that isn't communicated clearly, and that's why people find it awkward instead of intuitive. It's also probably why they're not bringing it back.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm willing to believe the NX is a portable system that docks for TV play, but I have my doubts that it acts like a Transformers toy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The whole reason SS is just a digital release of the Wii version is most certainly because a remaster would have to be designed for different controls. So yeah, definitely no dice on using anything but a Wiimote.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A BotW preview at the Game Awards? Have I entered a time warp into the year 2014?

If so, I need to warn all you guys about 2016 because hoo boy that year gets real fuckin bad.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm reading a lot opinions that the framerate issue may have been a streaming issue.

The "streaming issue" goes away as soon as they enter the much less intensive menu screen so I don't really buy it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wouldn't it regardless?

The menu screen features a full model of Link who animates at a respectable FPS. Back into the overworld, FPS drops back down. It's not a streaming issue.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Breath of the Wild will be yet another direct sequel to Ocarina of Time and it will contradict the other three.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It doesn't really matter if the Any% speedrun route skips most of the game; if some speedrunners feel dissatisfied that too much is getting left out, they'll invent other categories that cover more of the game. The 100% category will probably be insanely long.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Augus posted:

I thought that was pretty obvious, the trailer pretty strongly suggested she would be the center of character development in this game

Samus was the center of character development in Other M, and it still managed to be a pretty insulting and sexist portrayal, soooo...

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My heart goes out to the geeks and gamers obsessed enough with Japanese to want to hear it, but not enough to know how to read it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If there's 900 seed puzzles, then I'm thinking they're maybe along the lines of a panel in The Witness.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The filmstrip icon makes it pretty clear that "memories" is cutesy wording for a cutscene gallery.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's just a blue (MAYBE teal) tunic under yellowish lighting.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Both versions have the same colour palette.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

V important for Link to meet four girls

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Get hype for exaggerated-size breasts

Sounds like it's just referring to this:

...which is honestly a tamer design than the N64 fairies.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Vanrushal posted:

I feel kinda lame for asking this, but is there a set of giant doors in a mountain other than the one that leads to To Quomo Shrine? I could have sworn I found one set in a snowy mountain, but being an idiot I forgot to mark it on my map. I don't think I saw the one in the spoiler because by my memory I was just kind of scouting out the Hebra region without going too far in roughly around the time I remember seeing the doors, and the ones in the spoiler seem to be too deep for it to have been one of the earlier landmarks I remember seeing. Of course my memory could just be failing me spectacularly on this because it insists the doors are somewhere else but I'm not having any luck finding them in Hebra, Lanayru, or Gerudo Highlands (I remember them being set in grey mountains but I ran around the Highlands just in case). Can anyone help me out here?

There's at least two sets of doors like that in the mountains (I don't know if there's more but I've found two). One set is near the northwest corner of the map and leads to To Quomo Shrine. The other set is close to Hebra Tower and leads to Gee Ha'rah Shrine.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MokBa posted:

What was everyone's favorite "holy gently caress this game!" moment? Mine was probably climbing Mt. Lanayru and freeing Naydra. The sheer expanse that you have to cover as you chase it on your glider floored me.

I see questions of this nature a lot, and I gotta be honest, the moment that has resonated the most with me is by far the banana chest.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think people are still working on routing the all-dungeons run. Routing 100% will happen, but it's a gargantuan project.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

No spoilers, but for the A Fragmented Monument shrine quest, can you figure out the solution with just what's around the area? Or are you expected to come back later after another quest or something?

There's no way to shortcut that one, and it doesn't have any prerequisites elsewhere in the world. You just gotta do the quest and look for the stuff, right then and there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Oh, I've got the pieces, but the hint is really vague. I was wondering if whatever it wants me to find is nearby.

It tells you to kneel on the thing, go kneel on the thing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

I am trying to tie up some loose ends before I finish the game, and one that's been bothering me is that I remember seeing a large, wafting, blue / green glow coming from a mountain top relatively early in the game. I think I tagged it and then accidentally deleted it at some point. Does this sound familiar? Does anyone happen to know what this may be?

Iwata lives there

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I'm like 1/4 of the way through the game or less so I don't even know what a hinox is.

You can't miss it when you find one, the name appears in giant letters onscreen while ominous Cuban jazz begins to play.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering OOT is set more than 10,000 years before BotW (I think construction of the beasts started after TP?). That ranch apparently held up a long time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

What happened to all those guardians all over the place that are destroyed and half-destroyed that aren't outside Hateno Fort? Who killed them, especially in areas where there's dozens of them? If people had the ability to kill individual guardians (Robbie does, so unless he's been sitting on that egg then at the very least the Shekiah should), how did 100 years go by with a bunch of them still just wandering all over Hyrule Field a couple hundred yards away from currently-populated stables? For that matter, why did said guardians destroy everything from Hyrule Castle straight south to the Temple of Time but for some unknown reason just stop destroying everything/killing everyone who isn't Link at some point in the last 100 years?

Honestly, the "100 years" thing seems like an arbitrary grandiose number, but the lack of visual distinction between eras, the survival of characters who remember pre-stasis Link, and the not-insane mental states of Zelda & pals (who have been conscious and trapped/fighting the entire time) all add up to make it feel like less than a decade has passed.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I'm not going to play an entire Zelda map randomly in a hypothetical Zelda Maker and then find out that the guy making it was a fuckhead 20 minutes in.

But enough about Binding of Isaac, am I right folks?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think one issue is that high-level enemies often end up being weapon-durability sinks rather than real challenges. Wailing on a silver bokoblin isn't more interesting than killing a red one, it just takes longer and is more likely to break your weapon in the process. It's why I hope hard mode does something different than just crank up the HP/damage numbers.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lodin posted:

I have a weird bug. Yesterday I took out the two shrines on top of Dueling Peaks and the one higher up is still orange. It's marked blue on the map and the monk inside is gone so it's clearly finished. Not a big deal, just strange.

There's a third shrine directly below at river-level, so all three get clustered together on the map. Maybe that's the one showing up orange?

EDIT: or I think I misunderstood, I thought you meant marked orange/unvisited on the map, not physically glowing orange in-game.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 29, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think they should go all the way with making the dungeons/shrines less formal and more thoroughly integrated into the world. That feels like the clear next step for the series. Most of the map in BotW is natural territory and that works well as a motif for the game, but I'd happily trade away some of that sprawling map size if it meant denser, more complex and puzzle-laden places to explore. A cave that leads into a massive subterranean fire temple, a labyrinth that's the only passable route to one part of the map, etc.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spending a large portion of the game not knowing for sure whether you're strong enough to take on Guardians yet, and then finally discovering you are, very much seems to be an intended part of the game experience.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Compendium is easy, you just pay the man and he'll fill up your photos.

Korok routing takes work, but one blessing is that since this isn't the kind of game that really has equipment requirements for puzzles, you can work tons of them into the rest of your route around the world.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The dragons are more flexible/accomodating in their spawn times than people seem to think. There are certain places you can just show up any time of day and you'll probably see one (I've rarely ever gone into Tanagar Canyon without Dinraal stopping by), and places where resting at a fire basically guarantees a spawn when you wake-- Riola Spring (top of waterfall in Faron) for Farosh, West Deplian Badlands (across from North Lomei Labyrinth) for Dinraal.

Naydra's way more finicky than the other two for whatever reason, though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's in the Twilight Princess timeline, as indicated by Zelda's ceremonial speech with Link and the champions.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the replies everybody.

So are zones typically separated by difficulty? In other words yeah I know it is possible to just go and do whatever you want, but is it Dark Souls 1 style where you can go "wherever you want" but will be greeted by a skeleton graveyard if you make the wrong move? Or does the game really make an attempt to accommodate everybody going any direction from the start, with a few gated exceptions?

Despite what some of the hype has suggested, it's not like Dark Souls. Each area in Dark Souls is designed to fit a particular level scale, creating an unforced-but-still-implied progression through the map. That's not how BotW works at all. In BotW, the tough stuff is kind of sprinkled wherever, but you'll never really find an insurmountable task. You can head to any destination and deal with whatever obstacle or opponent you find there, pretty much right from the start-- you may need to cook something up in order to do it, but this is a game deliberately designed so that preparation can more than compensate for being underlevelled.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's no follow-through after the first few similar notes, and there's no thematic reason for that song to be in there as a leitmotif, so I'd chalk it up as definitely a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dimo ArKacho posted:

One of the loading screen hints mentions a'vendor at the far reaches of the continent that trades in heart and stamina vessels.'

The "far reaches" bit should definitely have been rewritten, since Hateno is literally the second place the story sends you after leaving the plateau.