Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I can't believe that worked quite as well as it did. You are right about hitting the dirt now too. Spread out your frontline troops as much as possible, split the full squads and try get at least 5m clear space between them to avoid all the overspill casualties that 3rd pl suffered. Use slow along the hedge or the germans will be able to see where your units stop.

Cathode, it would be good if you could move your men to fire at one of the germans groups still occupying the hedgeline, check the video to find a target. I can do more detailed orders for you later if you need them.

Up to Gnoman about the AT guns, perhaps the west one could push forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
As a squad without a bazooka, is there much I can do AT-wise? Does our standard load out include AT grenades, for example?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Here's your loadout from last turn.

That funny thing next to the binoculars is a single (!) AT rifle grenade. You also have 10 normal grenades which aren't particularly good against tanks but probably have a chance of damaging tracks or extenal equipment from real close up, and might hurt the crew of the mobile AA gun, which has an open top. So not ideal, the best thing is to keep your heads in the dirt when the tanks are around but you have some emergency supplies if they try to get up real close.

1-3 just down hedge from you has a bazooka, which is our best chance unless the Sherman has a decent line of sight.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1st Company "Vera Lynn Appreciation Society Of Missoula"

Company HQ Orders:
No Change

Company HQ 30Cal team:
Continue last move.

2-3 Squad
MOVE to N24

Link your orders in the spreadsheet!

1 Platoon: Looks like Decoy Badger is de facto leader of 1 Platoon, at least for the moment. Take care of your subordinate commanders, try and answer their questions, make sure they know what they should be doing and try stop them from making mistakes.

You probably have about 30 seconds before the tanks come into sight. First priority is to get everyone into combat positions that are spread out enough to limit the damage from heavy weapons fire. A secondary opportunity is to get rid of these two infantry contacts:

We want to shoot them if we can so that they can't send spotting info to the German players.

2 Platoon:
Do as you see fit. If you decide to move, let us know what your intentions are.

3 Platoon:
Rest in place, let your men catch their breath and recover their morale. Now might be a good time to recover that bazooka, just don't make yourself a target doing it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can my guys, who never had a bazooka, recover one from the bodies of their brother squad?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yep. Although your squad is furtherest away from where Sandman's guys dropped it, so it wouldn't be ideal for you to be the one to retrieve it.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Updated Map:

1st squad:
SPLIT into three elements. Space out along the hedge so they're ~5m apart from each other and 3rd squad A team. Then HIDE. Punch the remaining Hetzer crew member in the face.

2nd squad:
Continue previous orders.

3rd squad:
A Team: HIDE.
B Team: MOVE SLOW to the other side of the Stuart while remaining behind the hedge, then HIDE.
C Team: HIDE.

Either the enemy armour got spooked by something or is planning to shoot up the hedgeline. I'm trying to preserve the sole bazooka. Hopefully the AT guns get a shot at the Panther or it gets a lot closer for the bazooka to hit.

HQ:
If the HQ can see any enemy armour, fire the rest of the mortar rounds at it. Medium duration and intensity. If not, then continue previous orders.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Since I don't think I can set up the fire mission before I'm in place to see it, continue prior orders.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

2/1

Scouts make your way quickly to J21!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Should we move the Sherman forward a bit? I don't think it can see anything from where it is, and Gamer won't be giving orders anytime soon. Any idea from where it can engage the enemy armour?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Decoy Badger posted:

Should we move the Sherman forward a bit? I don't think it can see anything from where it is, and Gamer won't be giving orders anytime soon. Any idea from where it can engage the enemy armour?

I like this idea, because we really need to give some support to 1st platoon, but, yeah, LOS is borky. I don't know where I would move it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Unfortunately, you'll have to figure it out because I'm getting busied and can't really hash out order stuff anymore.

Moving was fine! Post-moving got involved. Alas.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Unfortunately, you'll have to figure it out because I'm getting busied and can't really hash out order stuff anymore.

Moving was fine! Post-moving got involved. Alas.

Alas, indeed. I hope you enjoy your new place in the end, though.

Decoy, looking at the contour map, I'm not sure if there's any viable way of prosecuting the Eastern panther with the Easy 8. Do you think there's any possibility of prosecuting the Western one?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I was thinking about trying to crawl my (2nd plat, 2nd squad) bazooka North a bit to the hedge, but I think I am too far from any of the tanks to have a good shot. Let me know if anyone disagrees.

Otherwise I will probably just stay where I am and cover the left side of 1st platoon.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It depends how stealthy their approach is. One time in a head2head I had a schreck team hide as a platoon went by them higher up some hill and then crawl approximately 200m to get a rear shot on a Sherman. Catastrophic failure. Then the next Sherman in line blew them up, but still!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

pthighs posted:

I was thinking about trying to crawl my (2nd plat, 2nd squad) bazooka North a bit to the hedge, but I think I am too far from any of the tanks to have a good shot. Let me know if anyone disagrees.

Otherwise I will probably just stay where I am and cover the left side of 1st platoon.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It depends how stealthy their approach is. One time in a head2head I had a schreck team hide as a platoon went by them higher up some hill and then crawl approximately 200m to get a rear shot on a Sherman. Catastrophic failure. Then the next Sherman in line blew them up, but still!

If your judgement says you can try to sneak 2-2AT northeast a bit, you have my permission to do so.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Hold tight.

The sightlines aren't very good from the corner, and I'm just a bit too far away from their tanks.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I put in provisional orders for the Sherman to open up and inch forward a bit. Putting them on HUNT should help out, especially now that we can't use target armour arcs.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That was not a suggestion. Attempting to cross that open field, even low and slow, is a bad idea. It's a huge distance and it's directly towards a platoon minimum with a two man team. If they get caught not only are they out in the open but they'll very likely have a far way to run backwards while under intense fire.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Decoy Badger's orders are better than I could have given, which puts me in a bit of an awkward position here.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Just relax and make sure your guys aren't doing anything you don't want them to. The strict chain of command has kind of gone out the window in the last while, doesn't really matter as long as units get orders when they need them.

I've put a provisional order for Sandman's team to recover it's bazooka, The rest of 3 doesn't really need specific orders at this moment AFAIC.

Decoy Badger posted:

I've been unsuccessfully scouring videos trying to find it's point of view, but I think it might be best to leave it where it is and see if one of those vehicles moving east lumbers into view. We don't want to move it to anywhere where both panthers can see it at once.

pthighs posted:

You could send a scout team forward and that way your bazooka doesn't run the risk of getting stuck in the wrong part of the front line. You have the whole center area to play in by the way.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Time is on our side here, we have the objective and eventually they will have to make a move for it.

I'll deploy my scout team next turn.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Decoy Badger posted:

Updated Map:

1st squad:
SPLIT into three elements. Space out along the hedge so they're ~5m apart from each other and 3rd squad A team. Then HIDE. Punch the remaining Hetzer crew member in the face.

2nd squad:
Continue previous orders.

3rd squad:
A Team: HIDE.
B Team: MOVE SLOW to the other side of the Stuart while remaining behind the hedge, then HIDE.
C Team: HIDE.

Either the enemy armour got spooked by something or is planning to shoot up the hedgeline. I'm trying to preserve the sole bazooka. Hopefully the AT guns get a shot at the Panther or it gets a lot closer for the bazooka to hit.

HQ:
If the HQ can see any enemy armour, fire the rest of the mortar rounds at it. Medium duration and intensity. If not, then continue previous orders.

Just FYI by "punch hetzer crew in the face" I take it you want to kill them? If so that order is incompatible with the hide order. Hide means you hunker down, you don't look around, you don't move, and you don't fire. It is only useful when the enemy doesn't know where you are. Area fire means if they know where you are the enemy can kill you even if they can't see you and obviously they know where you are since they just shot at you. Anyway, I won't bother with hide and just have them shoot at the hetzer crew.

3rd platoon I'll hide but hiding doesn't actually confer extra protection nor does it guarantee breaking los, just fyi.

Mortar rounds do not hurt tanks. That said, the HQ doesn't see anything but the mortar itself can area fire at a couple enemy armor positions including the open-topped wespe, so I did that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm waiting on MowhawkSatana before doing anything those orders were from two turns ago.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm going to be off the grid until Sunday afternoon PST, so feel free to post orders for me or anything else you need to do.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Turn 14

https://youtu.be/gB-Oh58ez3A

Next turn Tues 12pm EST

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I have to confess, there's a small part of me that wants to say something about Wehraboos right now. Does 76mm just straight up not kill Panthers from the front, or have they just gotten really lucky on that end? It's only an 800m by 800m map, so that distance can't be longer than about 500 meters...

I'll figure out where to drop my mortars in a bit. 1st Platoon, just hold as long as you can. AT guns, it might be too late now, but for god's sake, do something besides sit there and wait for your comrades to get killed. Ask about man-handling them further up the slope to see if you can't get a shot off while their vehicles are busy killing 1st platoon.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Davin Valkri posted:

Does 76mm just straight up not kill Panthers from the front, or have they just gotten really lucky on that end?

Without HVAP, and discounting large elevation differences, I believe you're looking at part of the turret face and of course the shot trap as vulnerable spots from US 76mm frontally.

Blah blah mission kill, etc etc crew bailout, but yeah, they're not exactly squishy.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Well, it doesn't look like they're going to bail out any time soon. I don't think they even hesitated in prosecuting my armored car from the ricochets.

Alright, if we don't see a Panther or vehicle dead by the end of the coming turn, I'll tender a surrender.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
BANGALORES TO THE SEA WALL!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Jesus christ.

That easy 8 put 3 rounds on that panther and none penetrated? poo poo. Also that whirlbelwind is really mincing those infantry, but that is to be expected.

I agree that we should run one more turn just to see if we can eek out a panther kill (research for future games basically) but I think it's safe to say we lost this one.

I learned a lot during the course of this game.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So do you guys just want me to run one more turn and then surrender or do you want to try for the kill on the panther and then continue?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

dtkozl posted:

So do you guys just want me to run one more turn and then surrender or do you want to try for the kill on the panther and then continue?

Run one more turn. If the Panther isn't dead or bailed out, we'll surrender. I'd still like to see the cease fire scores though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Use some clever wordplay to make it sound like we're surrendering but when they agree it's actually their surrender!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Use some clever wordplay to make it sound like we're surrendering but when they agree it's actually their surrender!

Yeah, write up the Instrument of Surrender as a meandering ~40 page document with the "German Surrender" clause buried somewhere around page 31.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

uh, yeah, I think we are done here.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

uh, yeah, I think we are done here.

Yeah, I just want to resolve the next turn. I don't think we actually have any specific orders to give--maybe 1st Platoon can actually land a hit with their bazooka, maybe the Easy 8 can pen that Panther, maybe those mortar rounds disabled the Wespe. It's all more or less out of our hands.

Seriously, though, 75mm fire was enough to cause Armor Spalling. How come 76mm didn't even do that?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Davin Valkri posted:

Seriously, though, 75mm fire was enough to cause Armor Spalling. How come 76mm didn't even do that?

Occult Nazi rituals.

That was really disturbing when all three pinged off. I dunno about everyone else but I had sort of assumed that a clean shot from a 76 would have a better-than-average chance to pen a Panther from the front. In fact I based many of my recommendations on that assumption.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

Occult Nazi rituals.

That was really disturbing when all three pinged off. I dunno about everyone else but I had sort of assumed that a clean shot from a 76 would have a better-than-average chance to pen a Panther from the front. In fact I based many of my recommendations on that assumption.

Yeah, same here. I guess we'll just have to hope that the next round they hit the shot trap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i think we already learned that it's a magic panther

• Locked thread