Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Are you guys sure you dont want me to move up to engage the assault? I did a little noodling around and I can have my guys up to were they have eyes on all along that hedge within about 30 seconds.

I just feel hosing down their desperate assault is a better use for my men than plinking away at a largely broken foe whose destruction may not even matter if things go well.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Well, if you think you can get up there without dying I'm not opposed to the idea. My only concern would be stray infantry in the center getting a bazooka shot on INinja.

But ya, why not. Maybe split into teams and have the HQ/rifle team face the center to take potshots while the machine gun goes to work?

INinja I think I would go the other way, I would do an Area Fire now and then go off area fire later. It's more likely they'll send something nasty at you after they notice you there, and if you don't do Area Fire I'd make a fairly large bet you won't shoot at all. If your crew notices something bigger/scarier they'll go off-script to turn and shoot at it instead.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Sounds good. They should be fine, they just need to move a few yards to the south to get them in there sights and will be fairly safe short of that sherman poping up over that rise.

I will have my orders in soon.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

1 Platoon 1st Squad

Continue buddy aid on wounded, Target Briefly 30 seconds F17

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

AREA TARGET the spot where the bazooka team appeared at the hedge. If there is no line of sight please TARGET the closest spot east of the bazooka team along the hedge that I have LOS on.

Company HQ

HUNT the inside of the treeline at EE10, face south.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Split squad
B sect Quick move to top right corner of V9 and Face the burning stuart.
A sect Qucik move to left edge of U7 and Area fire on border line of O13/14

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 11, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'd specify which one you mean there - do you want the machine gun to be area firing, I assume?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

3/3/A

Cancel all move orders then move quick to the square indicated (yellow line) then fire area the position shown in red. If that position is not targetable pick another spot along the wall/hedge with a recent allied inf contact and shoot at that.

3/3/B

Cancel any move orders, fire area at the targets highlighted in the center. Red has priority but if not visible target one of the blue zones with recent allied contacts. If none of those are targetable pick a visible spot on the hedge with a recent allied infantry contact and fire area at it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I edited my commands post that is linked in the spreadsheet to reflect the orders to area fire in the interest of suppression. I hope noon today is our deadline and not earlier!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay emergency order for 3 Plat as CHF and Gwehr 43 are awol.

3/1 A and B teams

Fire area at the locations below or if not possible pick another spot along the hedge/wall with recent US infantry contacts.

3 Plat command and rifle grenade squad

Fire area at the locations below or if not possible pick another spot along the hedge/wall in the center with recent US infantry contacts are fire area.

3 Plat panzershreck team

Hide

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Turn 14

https://youtu.be/IT38ANSWgiU

Next turn due Tues 12 pm EST

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Scratch one armored car and 5-6 confirmed infantry kills. If we can catch them in the open running away we can probably obliterate the best part of that platoon.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Good job on repelling that assault everyone. It looks like that 76 May have doubled back so we should definitely pull that Panther back.

Oh and the panther has smoke launchers doesn't it? I say use em.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I agree we should press the enemy as they try to flee. My command squad should be fresh.

My hot take is that we should send Popete forward to the hedgerow and let him start doing his thing while we move up infantry. I don't really want to move the WW up that far, for fear of being AT gun'd.

INinja and Xenolia - good shooting. The Wespe landed a good shot right in the middle of that cluster, and the WW continues to be a buzzsaw.

Pulling Klaus back is probably a good idea. He's done the immediate task of eliminating the armored car before it could use its .50 to attack our infantry.

They're still in the center... probably need to advance 3rd platoon up in sections to get a better angle of fire.

Overall, I can't complain about anything that happened this turn. The trees even worked out in our favor - I think their bazooka shot was going to miss anyway, but I saw a bazooka hit a tree around the WW.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

I agree we should press the enemy as they try to flee. My command squad should be fresh.

My hot take is that we should send Popete forward to the hedgerow and let him start doing his thing while we move up infantry. I don't really want to move the WW up that far, for fear of being AT gun'd.

INinja and Xenolia - good shooting. The Wespe landed a good shot right in the middle of that cluster, and the WW continues to be a buzzsaw.

Pulling Klaus back is probably a good idea. He's done the immediate task of eliminating the armored car before it could use its .50 to attack our infantry.

They're still in the center... probably need to advance 3rd platoon up in sections to get a better angle of fire.

Overall, I can't complain about anything that happened this turn. The trees even worked out in our favor - I think their bazooka shot was going to miss anyway, but I saw a bazooka hit a tree around the WW.

My initial reaction is that we need to approach this methodically. We've repelled their assault. We want to press our advantage, but we're lacking in fresh troops.

As far as the west goes, Klaus needs to unbutton and reverse. There's still an MG team that is forcing him to button. Maybe it's from the Sherman... hard for me to tell from the video. Wonder where it might be.

Mortar fire is bad news for open top vehicles. INinja should probably shift his position a bit, then resume firing on the middle.

I'll post orders at some point tomorrow.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Is the MG in the middle still alive or did we get that?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

loving hell it looks like Klauss took three hits from the 76 Sherman, he's extremely lucky to be alive.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Saros posted:

loving hell it looks like Klauss took three hits from the 76 Sherman, he's extremely lucky to be alive.

It also could be the fieldgun tho.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's coming from the last position the Sherman was spotted so unless they've really hauled rear end with an AT gun its almost certainly the tank. It may have used all its high velocity rounds killing other stuff though so it looks like its struggling with the Panther front plate. The turret and shot trap is likely vulnerable though.

Also how much of a rad dude is my Hetzer commander, how many guys did he get this turn, 2-3?

Also the Wespe needs to get out of there ASAP, at 3:00 in the video you can see the mortar firing on it.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 13, 2016

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Oh, I totally forgot how few high velocity rounds they carry, you're right.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Two options.

1. Klaus pops smoke and reverses to try and break sight with the Sherman.
-The safer option, will probably work.

2. Klaus unbuttons and faces that clump of trees and tries to spot the Sherman.
-Risky, depends on the Panther's armor holding, no guarantee he'll get a spot.
-If it works, we win.

76mm Gun won't do anything to the glacis plate. Either way, we're counting on that.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Xenolalia posted:

It also could be the fieldgun tho.

Don't think we've seen a field gun. Only two 57mm ATGs.

Saros posted:

It's coming from the last position the Sherman was spotted so unless they've really hauled rear end with an AT gun its almost certainly the tank. It may have used all its high velocity rounds killing other stuff though so it looks like its struggling with the Panther front plate. The turret and shot trap is likely vulnerable though.

Also how much of a rad dude is my Hetzer commander, how many guys did he get this turn, 2-3?

Also the Wespe needs to get out of there ASAP, at 3:00 in the video you can see the mortar firing on it.

Nice job on the angle for that Sherman. Agreed that INinja needs to relocate. You can see the fall of that shot- it comes straight down from the sky; definitely not only rifle grenades being fired.

professor_curly posted:

Two options.

1. Klaus pops smoke and reverses to try and break sight with the Sherman.
-The safer option, will probably work.

2. Klaus unbuttons and faces that clump of trees and tries to spot the Sherman.
-Risky, depends on the Panther's armor holding, no guarantee he'll get a spot.
-If it works, we win.

76mm Gun won't do anything to the glacis plate. Either way, we're counting on that.

Popping smoke takes a long time to take effect. 20 seconds at least. Either way he needs to unbutton. The range is only about 300 meters, definitely enough to be vulnerable to a 76. One advantage of reversing is that it puts more trees between him and possible ATG flanking shot positions.

Ikasuhito posted:

Is the MG in the middle still alive or did we get that?

The one back in Some loving Orchard? We shelled it pretty heavily, but I don't think we got a confirmed kill. The one guarding the entrance to junction city? I think that we see infantry in that area, but they've been firing garands. Something forced Klaus to button... probably hosed down by the Sherman.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
dtkozl are we getting two armour contacts on the American side? While watching the last turn I kept seeing the icon for enemy armour appear for a second on the main road at the back of the American side before fully disappearing and a new contact appearing in the woods behind the American infantry. Are these correct or is the game glitching? Its just the contacts keep jumping and disappearing and never appear at the same time so wanting to know if it is two contacts or one contact that is glitching. Thanks.

The above is a map to help you locate the contacts I am talking about.

Edit: Okay so those contacts are not armour my bad however, anyone able to tell me what they do represent and why they seem to be jumping and disappearing?

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 14, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
It looks like those are suspected armor contacts. One of the markers seems to disappear as the other appears.

Contact "A" is probably from when the Sherman was moving back behind those woods.

Contact "B" is closer to where it was this turn.

That map kinda shows the aggregate of where all your troops think there might be enemies.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Xenolalia and 2nd platoon have shattered their assault, which leaves us in good shape for our overall plan. Specific things for this turn...

Infantry Make sure to spread out and get fires on the center area. We need to keep those guys pinned down.

Klaus Stay alive and kill the Sherman, priority in that order. Probably your best bet is to reverse behind the trees. Smoke if you want to but tbh it's probably not going to have much effect. Whatever you do, make sure to unbutton.

Popete Longer term, I want you to push forward where Saros died and smash their ATG. For now, it might be best to stay where you are and see if you can get a spot on Klaus. Make sure that you're unbuttoned.

Wespe There is mortars and possibly rifle grenades firing at you. Reverse behind the treeline and find a new spot to engage from.

Wirbelwind You can hit their fleeing infantry, but don't stay too long (maybe pause for a good chunk of time, then reverse back into the trees). You're our ace card at this point, and I want to minimize any risk to you.

Questions/concerns?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Is it worth me trying to run a team from 1/2 across the road to scout the Big D?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

:siren: All Infantry Commanders :siren:

1st Platoon
If you have troops rested and out of sight of the Sherman, a scouting force into The Big D is definitely something that would be useful. However, there seems to be fire coming from Junction City that would interfere with any scouting force across the road. If you do go, go very light and try to hug the map edge directly. Maybe send the last Panzershrek guy there first?

2nd Platoon
Honestly, I think now is the time. We've got about a minute of time with Xenolia putting their attack to flight, I want you to start sending troops up along the map edge to the Hedgerow. Let's try to take advantage of our decisive fire superiority here.

3rd Platoon
Start moving up to the edge of lederhosen wood, so you can more effectively fire into the center.

The following are just my thoughts, not orders

Popete - I think you should roll forward to the far edge of the trees, unbutton and face to the south-east corner of The Big D where it looks like the Sherman is. If nothing else, that should face you at the enemy infantry and AT guns. Bazookas can't do anything to you from the front, and Xenolia+you have put them to flight.

Klaus - I'm personally in support of aggressively trying to take out the Sherman, Unbutton and Face to look at it. However that's the riskier, but potentially decisive option. Your armor has saved you so far, right?

Xenolia - stick around for a while at least and shoot at the retreating troops and try to cause as much damage as you can and keep them running so 2nd platoon can do some movement. Don't move up though. You should be safe from the AT gun that far back, but don't risk edging forward until Popete has taken point up there.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Honestly I think turning to face the Sherman might actually ensure we lose our Panther. Those 76's should be more effective than they seem to be and I think what's saving him is that the shots look like there hitting him at a steep enough angle they can't get a hold. Even still we may not remain lucky forever and he would likely take several more shots before he got eyes on.(assuming Los doesn't decide to gently caress us)

While it is true he could end this match next turn I don't think it's worth the risk. Time and numbers is on our side for our armor and I think we should use it to get a surer chance.

Of course that is just me and I have always advocated caution.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 15, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Can the rest of 3 plat commanders check in, there haven't been orders for some turns.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Ikasuhito posted:

While it is true he could end this match next turn I don't think it's worth the risk. Time and numbers is on our side for our armor and I think we should use it to get a surer chance.

Of course that is just me and I have always advocated caution.

The angle thing is a good point I hadn't considered actually.

Actually that makes me think, didn't Klaus have to do a winding sort of path through the trees? How quickly could he actually reverse and what angles would he end up going.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Saros posted:

Can the rest of 3 plat commanders check in, there haven't been orders for some turns.

I'm here. There hasn't been much for 3rd to do, so I've been kinda silent. I think moving up any sooner than now would have had us start taking unnecessary casualties. I think prof_curly is on point. It's time for 3rd platoon to move up, lay on more fire into the center objective in preparation for an assault on same. That said...

CoyHQ/BattHQ, would it be possible to have the Wespe and/or Wirbelwind lay some area fire on the center objective for a turn or two in order to soften it up some?

3rd Platoon:
HQ and Rifle Grenade team: QUICK to the southeastern edge of the treeline in M9
Panzerschreck team: Sit tight
1st and 3rd Squads: Get to the middle or southeastern edge of the treeline we're currently sitting in so that we can provide more fire on the center objective.
2nd Squad: Do whatever you have to do to fire on the center objective. I want you in a good place to provide suppressing fire for 1st and 3rd squads' eventual assault. Split your teams as necessary in order to cover as much ground with fire as possible. Use area target orders at your discretion if you feel them appropriate.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

professor_curly posted:

The angle thing is a good point I hadn't considered actually.

Actually that makes me think, didn't Klaus have to do a winding sort of path through the trees? How quickly could he actually reverse and what angles would he end up going.

I believe the trees are of the "speedbump" variety. If he backs up he should just go through them.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Ikasuhito posted:

I believe the trees are of the "speedbump" variety. If he backs up he should just go through them.

Should be, but you never know with the TacAI.

The decision for what Klaus wants to do is his. I look a bit more favorably on the side of caution, but as long as he unbuttons, either option works for me.

I think just about any hit from a 76 (excluding HVAP) against the glacis is unlikely to penetrate. A hit against the mantlet is likely to do some damange, but probably won't achieve and outright kill.

As far as Popete, I'd give about a 50% chance of him having LoS on the current Sherman position, based on loving around with the LoS tool. If that Sherman moves, I think those odds go up a bit. He can move forward a bit, but he needs to be very careful about exposing side armor to potential ATG positions.

Gewehr 43 posted:

CoyHQ/BattHQ, would it be possible to have the Wespe and/or Wirbelwind lay some area fire on the center objective for a turn or two in order to soften it up some?

In the short term, the Wespe is under fire and needs to move a bit, so he won't be able to this turn. In the medium term, we'll task him with putting fire on the objective from somewhere in the north. Once the Eastern flank is secured, we can lay serious grazing fire down their long axis from the Wirbelwind.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

For the Wespe: BACK UP! Reverse until I'm behind the North Farm buildings and then wait.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

2/1

QUICK to BB14. Take cover on that hedgerow line!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Unbutton
Quick from AA-12 to AA-13

Popete fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

3/3/A

Hold position. Fire upon any infantry contacts in the middle and if not possible fire area at previous target.

3/3/B

Move quick SE to the edge of the forest (maintaing spacing with any other units if possible) and fire upon any infantry targets visible. If none are visible fire area at probable infantry locations behind the wall in the middle.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 15, 2016

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Open up
Pause for 45 seconds
Reverse to CC11

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 16, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Xeno - be sure to unbutton, since you aren't taking incoming fire anymore that we can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Might I suggest to that you throw a quick target over the squad close to the stuart while your at it. They are still clustered together so you can really give them a good trashing.

Team A actually went in the opposite direction I wanted them to so I need them Quick move to the top left corner of U7

Team B should Target the one guy around O14. (or whatever the best you can do.)

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 16, 2016

• Locked thread