Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The longest ive stayed in one job is 30 months. I usually change once a year. Just wondering about other goons (unemployed /human wreckage with phat steam accounts pls dont bother replying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

4 years at my current employer in 2 positions. I work for a "promote to incompetence then fire" corporation so I'll be here for a while

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yearish.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I lasted 15 minutes at my last job.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You stay at a job for life and you love it, you lazy millennials.

(About two years before I get bored and bounce to a competitor.)

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
2 years for my first job after college.
2.5 years into my current job and will probably start looking for a new one in 6 months.

If you change jobs yearly, your resume must look like butt.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
as long as your mom pays me

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Until I get fired. One day I'll make it past the 90 day probation period, I know it!!

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

uguu posted:

I lasted 15 minutes at my last job.

Did you use numbing lube?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
been at my current job for 1 3/4 years, the longest i've ever stayed anywhere

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
9 months but this is my first job out of college

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I usually stick with a job for longer than I should. 6 years is the longest (left because the company folded). I was at my previous job for about 3 years before telling them to shove it, and I'm close to two years into my current one.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

About as long as my longest relationship with a girl, which is to say I've never had a job

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in my first real career track job, 2 years in although I'm feeling the itch.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
2-3 years is about as much as I can handle. Stayed with the same employer for 8 years last go-around though.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Until I find something that pays more and requires less work.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I've been in my current job for 16 years now.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
7 years in my first job; almost 11 (and counting) in the second. Both in different branches of the Norwegian civil service, so "getting fired" isn't exactly a thing.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Sell drugs you'll make a lot more money

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I worked in a call center for about a year and a half until I couldn't loving take it anymore. This current job I've been at for 3 and 1/2 years, but there's really no room for advancement and I should really start looking, but I also need more training and both of these things require effort.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

I worked in a call center for about a year and a half until I couldn't loving take it anymore. This current job I've been at for 3 and 1/2 years, but there's really no room for advancement and I should really start looking, but I also need more training and both of these things require effort.
You will never get training in a job with no chance of advancement. Cut + run.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lt. Chips posted:

2 years for my first job after college.
2.5 years into my current job and will probably start looking for a new one in 6 months.

If you change jobs yearly, your resume must look like butt.

Its super common with my coworkers and all my bosses; often its the only way to get a decent payrise. The reason i asked was cos i wondered if its the same everywhere!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

jBrereton posted:

You will never get training in a job with no chance of advancement. Cut + run.

Yeah, I need to train myself and get like a CCNA and so on but I can't motivate myself to do it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I need to train myself and get like a CCNA and so on but I can't motivate myself to do it.
You need to find a job where they'll pay for you to do it because they have any trust in their employees at all.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
5.25 years.

When you're there long enough that the leadership thinks that they can do anything to you and you'll still work for them, it felt good to see their faces in shock when I suddenly flipped them the bird and left for a job that paid 50% more.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Until my alcoholism becomes unable to be ignored. Typically this takes about 7-8 months. My reasoning that if I can safely drive drunk to the warehouse then I can be trusted to drive the forklift drunk always seems to fall on deaf ears.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
8 years at last job; just coming up on 15 on my current

I like what I do and am well compensated, so vOv

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
been sucking the poo poo out of my own rear end in a top hat for about 32 years now

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I've been at my current job for six years and am just getting to the point where I can't be fired without a major and expensive shitstorm, so I'm trying to do less and less until they forget I work there but keep paying me

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

7 minutes and i can make you see heaven

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I been here like two and a quarter years. Before that it was a year. Before that it was a season.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
8 hours a day OP

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Until I find something that pays more and requires less work.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Dont lie op, you didn't even last a minute the last time you got a job.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
2 years at my last job, then I got promoted for some reason. I'm guessing its the bleeding edge humor I bring to the table; I steal all of your guys' jokes and they think I'm some kind of comedy genius. My organization really appreciates dank memes.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

like eight hours before I go home for the day, OP

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've been at my current job for 13 years. Though this would terrify most people, I personally like knowing I'll have the same job at the same place my entire life. I am sure the fact that this is a private union position has a lot to do with it but having a house and family with not knowing where I'll be in five years is unnerving to me, so this is perfect for me and my pessimism. Also retirement is 30 years so I will be able to retire before 55 which is pretty cool. Not as great as public union retirement but still pretty good.

Before that I worked as a stockboy from 14 to 18 then at a computer store from 18 to 21.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've been at my current job for 13 years. Though this would terrify most people, I personally like knowing I'll have the same job at the same place my entire life. I am sure the fact that this is a private union position has a lot to do with it but having a house and family with not knowing where I'll be in five years is unnerving to me, so this is perfect for me and my pessimism. Also retirement is 30 years so I will be able to retire before 55 which is pretty cool. Not as great as public union retirement but still pretty good.

Before that I worked as a stockboy from 14 to 18 then at a computer store from 18 to 21.

honestly, assuming the job's not poo poo and the pay's decent, i think a lot of people would appreciate that kind of consistency

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Stay in a good union forever.

i'm in sales so basically no one stays at a job for more than 2 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

2.5 years for my first job after college. About to be 2 years at my current job and I'm looking to find work on the other side of the country sooner rather than later.

• Locked thread