Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Are you gonna do Bloodborne friend?

Not sure if I'll do it. But I might eventually. Depends on whether or not I can finally finish a second playthrough without being distracted by other games that come out.

If you have archives you can check out Genocybers excellent LP here in the meantime, in case you haven't seen it. But there's also a Youtube playlist if you don't.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Well done! Informative and entertaining. And most importantly, completed!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

After ascending the staircase and entering her tower we find Filianore sitting there asleep, resting on what looks like an egg (some Loresters (tm) speculate that it's a Transposing Kiln for whatever reason). As mentioned in a previous post, Filia is latin for daughter while Anor is elvish for sun. Daughter of the Sun. Alternatively it could be viewed as philia, brotherly love in greek and noir, black in french. Friend to the Dark.
I don't have much to say beyond what I've already said, but oh wow is this grasping at linguistic straws*. Though I assume you're just referencing Souls lore junkies here and don't actually have a dog in this fight, as apparently these theories have been around since March. :v:

:eng101: Anyway, the first comparison is...really silly because Elvish is a set of conlangs wholly unrelated to Latin, and in general morphemes (word parts, so to speak) from significantly different languages don't get combined as-is without a lot of linguistic pressure. Instead you'd usually have a "foreign" morpheme incorporated as a loanword beforehand so as to maintain proper phonology and whatnot. (Tolkien's Elvish is documented to be heavily based on Finnish, which unlike Latin is not even an Indo-European language.) The second comparison could work superficially, but the French "noir" doesn't come from such a source but instead derives from the Latin niger/nigra/nigrum for a sort of shining black. (This part I'm transcribing from Wiktionary, but given the documented origins of French I have no reason to believe it far off the mark.)

A more likely source of the name is in a comparison with the French Eleanor(e), which may apparently be medieval French for "[the] other Aenor" and first appears recorded as from Eleanor of Aquitaine. As for Aenor itself (which was a recorded medieval French name), it happens to be of Germanic origin but of unknown meaning. Even "Anor's/Aenor's daughter" would be an odd way to construct a name, since Eleanor = "other Aenor" was already in use to distinguish the mother Aénor de Châtellerault and her daughter. :shrug: But my best guess is that all the lore theories trying to connect Filianore's name to some mythological connection are bunk, because all the other members of Gwyn's family have distinctly Welsh names. ("Gwyn" itself can mean "blessed" or "white", though there's a separate feminine form of "Gwen".) "Gwynevere" is thus something of an aberration (and an English/Welsh mashup between Guinevere/Gwenhwyfar), but beyond one acceptable vowel shift still fits the Welsh pattern. Similarly, "Gwyndolin" is a vowel-shift variant on Gwendolyn/Gwendolen. So with that information my belief is that "Filianore" is just a name that fits what you'd expect from fantasy, and nothing more. If FromSoft had really wanted to draw upon more Welsh names, they could probably have just looked at the Mabinogion**. I suppose there's the possibility that she took the name "Filianore" only after arriving at the Ringed City, but there's scant little evidence on that front because FromSoft isn't about to hire a linguist without significant consideration, and besides the name of Gwyn didn't get any sort of linguistic makeover***.

So while I'd disagree with you on various things in the LP, we can let that discussion rest rather than clogging up the thread more. Thanks for the LP, and great work!

*I am by no means a trained linguist, just an amateur with a good memory who can spot the more obvious goofs.
**Memorably, the Greatest English MonarchTM is found instead in Welsh mythology as Bendigeidfran, or "Blessed Crow". He was depicted as a giant so tall, that when the English went to war with the Irish he just waded across the Irish Sea. There's a line about some Irish swineherds first noticing his presence when they saw his manhood swinging in the air between his towering legs.
***Compare the Persian "Kurosh" with its Greek/Latin translations of "Kyros"/"Cyrus", respectively.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 7, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Or she could be "filia noire", since she married one of the people of the Dark.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

As noted above, "noir" and "-anor(e)" are both French, but come from different roots. And it's not as if FromSoft couldn't have explicitly written such a name if they wanted to, given the secondary protagonists of the (excessively :japan:) Hyperdimension Neptunia series.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

NGDBSS posted:

Some interesting stuff.
That's quite interesting. I'm personally not so sure whether matters much if it makes a lot of sense linguistically but what the intended meaning was. Which right now no one knows.
It also really doesn't matter because even if someone were to insist on Philia - Noir, for instance, it doesn't really add much of anything that you can't already gather from other (more obvious) hints the game gives you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

darksouls3.txt: You can draw a lot of connections, and derive different meanings, but it ultimately doesn't mean anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Awesome LP, I watched your 1 and 2 LPs and I've enjoyed each one of them :)

McGwee posted:

That was a fun ride and I enjoyed you playing with different styles just to show off how you could change up the gameplay.

As for the show you Humanity hint thing, I think the random rear end young white birch tree was suppose to be the hint... but if it is then it's a lovely one.

Isn't it that the appearance the player takes when using one of those branches resembles a Humanity sprite? So it'd be showing "Humanity" at that spot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The real issue with the puzzle behind Humanity is that you aren't guaranteed to become a Humanity Sprite and there's no clue you can unless you just use Chameleon/Branches a bit in the swamp.

I think they should've had an NPC invader who would use branches in the swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I like that Gael's sword is explicitly an executioner's one. I've nothing but circumstantial evidence, but I'm straight up convinced that Book of the New Sun was a gigantic influence on Dark Souls.

e: to elaborate, Miyazaki apparently based the largely hint-based lore of Dark Souls on the feeling he got reading Western fantasy novels and not quite understanding them. Book of the New Sun is an infamously obtuse book which deals with a dying sun, the forces of godlike creatures on the edge of human understanding, and someone who is wandering around with a vague sense of his purpose (which is to restore the sun)who ends up fighting a giant. I also know that the series has something of a following in Japan so it's not impossible.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 24, 2017

• Locked thread