Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LowPartz posted:

I'm using one that's 30 years old. My dad paid 25 bucks for it and it has yet to lose even a single eyelet.
Ugly stick + Shimano quick fire reel + 8 lb test Fireline= Indestructible Rig

man that owns big time, shakespeare pretty much negates all of my usual opinions about americans buying stuff from china

isn't fireline still mono but just red?

my dream rig ( im very poor and my dreams involve regularthings most people just buy) would be putting an abu garcia round reel on my ugly rod and then maybe some of that line that is like rope and trying to get into catching and eating giant rear end steelhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Fireline is a braid. I generally only have to respool every 3 years or so. And catches pike, muskie, steelhead with no leader.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I had a fishing rod once called THE SCIMITAR that I bought specifically to string with forty pound line and a giant treble hook to snag some loving salmon, but now I'm a park ranger so i can't do those things any more. I bought it specifically because it was called THE SCIMITAR.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm here for the pictures and dines

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LowPartz posted:

Fireline is a braid. I generally only have to respool every 3 years or so. And catches pike, muskie, steelhead with no leader.

drat i'll check it out, i eventually need to switch to a braided line as i become an ultimate fisherman, though i really find it hard to believe fishing can get much better than hitting the right location for a school of black crappie as the sun sets

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I really like fishing but I hate the taste of fish so basically I guess I like being drunk on a boat and getting sunburned real bad

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I also make a look that basically means 'ew gross' when I have to bait my hooks so tbh whenever I get access to a boat I usually just putter around and throw out crab pots because for some reason gross bottom dwelling sea bugs are less disgusting than fish and they taste way better

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I also make a look that basically means 'ew gross' when I have to bait my hooks so tbh whenever I get access to a boat I usually just putter around and throw out crab pots because for some reason gross bottom dwelling sea bugs are less disgusting than fish and they taste way better

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
the old man and the sea is some hardcore poo poo, even by hemingway standards

dude just has a loving rope with a hook on it and is all "welp i hope i can outsmart and outmuscle one of natures beasts so i can eat today" and rows his rear end out into the carribean, metal as all hell

then you realize thats how vast swaths of humanity made their living throughout human history, just rope and/or nets maybe a few pieces of hardware, and you feel pretty stupid in your weird wooden box with lights everywhere and bills and stuff

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
As someone who has never fished, how do I start fishing? What do I read? Do I get lessons? What gear should I buy? Approximately how much will it cost? How's the learning curve?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

cheerfullydrab posted:

As someone who has never fished, how do I start fishing? What do I read? Do I get lessons? What gear should I buy? Approximately how much will it cost? How's the learning curve?

Like someone above said, you can get set up with some decent starter hardware for < $100. You definitely don't need lessons but you will (most likely) need a license. If you don't know anyone experienced to go with for your first time then I don't know, read some wikihow articles or something. The learning curve is shallow, I mean children fish on their own without issue.

Fishing is good.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I grew up with fly fishing but now I do it all. I would not recommend beginning wirh fly fishing because it's extremely expensive and has a steep learning curve. Luckily for me my grandfather already had the stuff and tons of patience.

95 percent of what I do now is shore based salt water and the occasional splurge on a charter. None of my salt gear is expensive. Just keep it clean with some fresh water when you're done. For bait I mostly cast net and catch live.

Here's two flounder I caught yesterday. I posted in ENT thread but that thread is like lightning

That's about $25 worth of fillets

Grilled them last night with some steaks for Father's day. :)

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

The best was fishing trout in streams withb1 pound test

Using ultra-lite gear is incredibly fun and challenging, definitely. I've trout fished the Farmington for going on 20 years with a 4'6" st. Croix using either 2 or 4 lb test if I'm not using fly gear. Love the ultra-lites for stream/river stuff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Son when are you going to move out of this brush pile and spawn? Your mother and I are very worried about you.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Learning curve is huge, but you can catch a fish by accident. My advice is to buy as high quality of a rod as you can afford, something in the 6-7' medium action fast tip range and a Okuma Avenger 3000 spinning reel. Have it filled with 20lb highviz braid and learn how to tie a good leader knot, for which you want like 8lb fluorocarbon line. This will be an acceptable rig for like 90% of freshwater/inshore fishing.

To actually catch fish, you need to pick a species to target and read up on their habits and habitat. Finding where the fish are holding is the most important step in catching them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

utterlycorrupt posted:

a 4'6" st. Croix using either 2 or 4 lb test if I'm not using fly gear. Love the ultra-lites for stream/river stuff.

Do You have the PS46ULM? I have been eyeing that one for a while to throw small inline spinners for white perch and tiny jigs for panfish/ tiny smallmouth. How well does it cast lures at the low end of it's range?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The best part aobut fishing isn't even the fish. It's just sitting there, relaxing, drinking a beer. As far as I'm concerned, actually trying to catch something is wholly optional.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Haha yeah let me just go and trick fish out of the water because I'm an easily entertained simpleton.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I agree op!

Also

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Do You have the PS46ULM? I have been eyeing that one for a while to throw small inline spinners for white perch and tiny jigs for panfish/ tiny smallmouth. How well does it cast lures at the low end of it's range?

That's exactly the one I'm currently using, yes. It's a bit pricey but totally worth the initial investment, their stuff lasts practically forever. As long as you have a decent lightweight reel you'll have no problems with either distance or accuracy with jigs or ultra-lite spinners, rooster tails, phoebes, etc. I have a relatively cheap shimano on there at the moment and it works fine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tenspott posted:

The best part aobut fishing isn't even the fish. It's just sitting there, relaxing, drinking a beer. As far as I'm concerned, actually trying to catch something is wholly optional.

There is a kick rear end fishing barge within a mile or so of me, and I would always be there if it were not for one thing. The state banned alcohol on the lake a couple years ago, so no drinking and fishing :(

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

There is a kick rear end fishing barge within a mile or so of me, and I would always be there if it were not for one thing. The state banned alcohol on the lake a couple years ago, so no drinking and fishing :(

That is loving unAmerican

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

VendaGoat posted:

That is loving unAmerican

It's bizarre because this is Texas. You can buy road beers from drive up windows in some places, but the state banned drinking just because the lake had earned the nickname Lake Death.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Who wouldn't want to go out onto Lake Death with a sixer of Lone Star, bake in the sun and fish?

I think you all should secede from your state.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

VendaGoat posted:

Who wouldn't want to go out onto Lake Death with a sixer of Lone Star, bake in the sun and fish?

I think you all should secede from your state.

Moving to Florida will be an upgrade. Sit on the beach, drink rum drinks, and fish.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
fish is good

especially raw fish

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Chinatown posted:

fish is good

especially raw fish

this is correct

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Moving to Florida will be an upgrade. Sit on the beach, drink rum drinks, and fish.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy.

Let's not say anything we can't take back.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

RFC2324 posted:

You've heard about Florida, right?

Like that it's a meth-infested shithole?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

psychokitty posted:

The runoff makes the fish friskier.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psychokitty posted:

Not as many crazy rednecks as TX, and from people who live there I understand that you stay out of northern FL, and stay away from Miami, and its pretty chill.

My fiancee is insisting on it since she has elderly family there, so I gotta find silver linings until they die. :negative:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

tenspott posted:

for me this is the exact opposite of what is true and good about fishing

drink a beer if you can do it while rapidly casting from an isolated corner of a lake or dam that you are mastering for the sake of dinner getting

but sitting? sitting while fishing? better be in a dugout canoe you carved with an adze or i'm about to beat you up

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

bongwizzard posted:

Son when are you going to move out of this brush pile and spawn? Your mother and I are very worried about you.

Learning curve is huge, but you can catch a fish by accident. My advice is to buy as high quality of a rod as you can afford, something in the 6-7' medium action fast tip range and a Okuma Avenger 3000 spinning reel. Have it filled with 20lb highviz braid and learn how to tie a good leader knot, for which you want like 8lb fluorocarbon line. This will be an acceptable rig for like 90% of freshwater/inshore fishing.

To actually catch fish, you need to pick a species to target and read up on their habits and habitat. Finding where the fish are holding is the most important step in catching them.

The only caveat I would have is with 'buy as much as you can afford'. You really really really do not need a $600 rod and $500 reel(or whatever) to enjoy yourself. Stick with equipment roughly in the $50-$250 range for a complete setup and you will have access to some very nice stuff that will last many years if properly cared for. With the bonus of not kicking yourself in the rear end too hard when it gets broken/lost/stolen.

If you can only afford the most inexpensive stuff you can still catch fish. Just go into it with the knowledge that your gear is probably going to cause you some headaches and don't let it detract from the overall experience too much. I have caught many fish on a cheap as poo poo $20 rod and reel combo I got at a fishing show.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

extra stout posted:

drink a beer if you can do it while rapidly casting from an isolated corner of a lake or dam that you are mastering for the sake of dinner getting

but sitting? sitting while fishing? better be in a dugout canoe you carved with an adze or i'm about to beat you up

This guy gets it. If i haven't torn my legs up in briar or gotten poison ivy getting to a hole i feel like I've wasted my time

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Surf fishing is actually a lot of sitting around. Jetty fishing too. But yeah, wading a stream is my jam.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

LowPartz posted:

This guy gets it. If i haven't torn my legs up in briar or gotten poison ivy getting to a hole i feel like I've wasted my time

Crawling down slippery rocks to get below a dam or sneaking through private property to get to your favorite spot hoping you don't get shot or arrested is good times.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I just looked. I have six fly rods including a '68 orvis battenkill and a hardy princess

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
I've got some info on a disused golf course (eat the rich) across the river from a state park. The water hazards were stocked to keep mosquitos in check. I'll be breaking the law later this week...

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dz8UTXm_k

Take me fisting

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

utterlycorrupt posted:

That's exactly the one I'm currently using, yes. It's a bit pricey but totally worth the initial investment, their stuff lasts practically forever. As long as you have a decent lightweight reel you'll have no problems with either distance or accuracy with jigs or ultra-lite spinners, rooster tails, phoebes, etc. I have a relatively cheap shimano on there at the moment and it works fine.

Cool, I have never found one in the store to mess with but none of the cheaper UL rods I have owned really cast light rear end lures very well at all.

crabcakes66 posted:

The only caveat I would have is with 'buy as much as you can afford'. You really really really do not need a $600 rod and $500 reel(or whatever) to enjoy yourself. Stick with equipment roughly in the $50-$250 range for a complete setup and you will have access to some very nice stuff that will last many years if properly cared for. With the bonus of not kicking yourself in the rear end too hard when it gets broken/lost/stolen.

If you can only afford the most inexpensive stuff you can still catch fish. Just go into it with the knowledge that your gear is probably going to cause you some headaches and don't let it detract from the overall experience too much. I have caught many fish on a cheap as poo poo $20 rod and reel combo I got at a fishing show.

Well, my view is that spending more on a rod is always worth it as the "St Croix and up" brands usually have very very generous replacement policies when you break your rod. I would rather have a single $150 rod from a place that will work with me then three $50 rods where I am SOL if I break anything. I say this as a dude with a $75 L/ex-ex-ex-Fast 5'2" spinning rod that I can't really do much with as as it is broken too low to be very usable. I will also say that I have never regretted spending money on a rod while I have a few reels where I suspect I over paid vs a cheaper competing brand/line. I also had a guy let me use his "$500 just for the blank" custom rod and man I could feel every loving pebble my lure bounced over.

But yea, if you want to fish just buy a cheap spinning combo, replace the line with some decent mono or braid and go loving nuts until you figure out what you like. I def bought a ton of crap I will never use during the initial Fishing, gently caress Yea! moments.

extra stout posted:

Agreed, I can't stand bait fishing and even senkos are too loving slow for me. Casting and working lures is a huge part of the fun, as is sight fishing rivers and such. Even in my kayak I keep moving pretty often unless I am on a really great spot.

Also guys, it is 2016, all the cool kids leave the beer and home and smoke dope while fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Fishing is extremely my poo poo, op. Leaving tomorrow for a 2-day pike trip at a big rear end reservoir. Rented a kayak, gonna load up my stuff, set to up camp somewhere remote and spend 2 days on the water only taking breaks for cooking trout and eggs on the fire and maybe taking a poop or two

• Locked thread