Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Life owns right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

jeff smisek posted:

Fishing is extremely my poo poo, op. Leaving tomorrow for a 2-day pike trip at a big rear end reservoir. Rented a kayak, gonna load up my stuff, set to up camp somewhere remote and spend 2 days on the water only taking breaks for cooking trout and eggs on the fire and maybe taking a poop or two

jeff smisek posted:

Life owns right now

I believe it. Sounds cool to me.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

bongwizzard posted:

Well, my view is that spending more on a rod is always worth it

To me it's like audio equipment where I can't tell the difference between a decent $3000 stereo and a $30,000 stereo. Or PC parts where you can pay twice as much and get 5 more FPS.

I have owned a some expensive poles and they were nice as far as fit and finish but not really worth the money. There are diminishing returns beyond a few hundred bucks where you are just doing it because it makes you feel good. Which is fine.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bongwizzard posted:

Agreed, I can't stand bait fishing and even senkos are too loving slow for me. Casting and working lures is a huge part of the fun, as is sight fishing rivers and such. Even in my kayak I keep moving pretty often unless I am on a really great spot.

Also guys, it is 2016, all the cool kids leave the beer and home and smoke dope while fishing.

yeah buddy, i can remember my first week of fishing as an adult who just got his fishing license, it went from 19 degree weather and rain on opening day in a small stream with no trout to moving to a dam full of everything, but catching nothing for the rest of the week on my boring rear end idiot bobber set up

i learned to jig and figured out which sizes and weights can get low in the water without scraping the bottom or collecting weeds at the speed i typically reel in at, and in terms of eating fish i've had no need to learn any other reeling technique since

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

Cool, I have never found one in the store to mess with but none of the cheaper UL rods I have owned really cast light rear end lures very well at all.

It took a bit of experimentation to find something that could effectively cast 1/32 or 1/16 oz. stuff, some of the cheaper stuff just won't do it, I've had cheap shakespeares and pfluegers that couldn't. St.croix has a bunch in the 5'-5'6" range that are rated well for ultra-lite lures but many are two-piece setups, which for whatever reason I just don't like using. You're absolutely right that it's worth it spend a moderate amount on quality gear rather than grab the first thing you see (if you're fishing consistently, anyway), most of the better companies shoot for customer satisfaction and are usually happy to help you out if something goes wrong with one of their products

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

crabcakes66 posted:

To me it's like audio equipment where I can't tell the difference between a decent $3000 stereo and a $30,000 stereo. Or PC parts where you can pay twice as much and get 5 more FPS.

I have owned a some expensive poles and they were nice as far as fit and finish but not really worth the money. There are diminishing returns beyond a few hundred bucks where you are just doing it because it makes you feel good. Which is fine.

Oh god, a "few hundred bucks" is way more then I was really talking about, I mean stuff firmly in the "St Croix/Midrange customs" stuff, like $200 at the high end. I mean, dude's $500 blank was sweet as hell, but in no way was it close to like 150% better than the $170 rod he made me. But, I will say that my custom is easily that much better than the low end Shakespeare I replaced with it.

extra stout posted:

i learned to jig and figured out which sizes and weights can get low in the water without scraping the bottom or collecting weeds at the speed i typically reel in at, and in terms of eating fish i've had no need to learn any other reeling technique since

I am not even messing with jigs, crankbaits, or even spinnerbaits much yet, the world of soft plastics is going to keep me entertained for years now I suspect. This summer I am concentrating on weighless fluke type baits and finesse plastics and even with four rods on my kayak I have too many thing I want to try out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also, I was not kidding about fishing being all consuming, it has literally pushed every other hobby out of my life. Plus side I am outside constantly and usually walk like 20-50 miles a week now so that kinda rules, but I literally get antsy if I go more than a few days without fishing. The other week work was awful and I had to drive to a Bass Pro and buy some rubber worms to calm myself down.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also Also my posting is what it must be like for my girlfriend, who gets big ups for not leaving me, as I often get lit and talk at her about the relative merits of tubes vs. craws for like 90 minutes.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Also, I was not kidding about fishing being all consuming, it has literally pushed every other hobby out of my life. Plus side I am outside constantly and usually walk like 20-50 miles a week now so that kinda rules, but I literally get antsy if I go more than a few days without fishing. The other week work was awful and I had to drive to a Bass Pro and buy some rubber worms to calm myself down.

You may have other problems.

Edit:

bongwizzard posted:

Also Also my posting is what it must be like for my girlfriend, who gets big ups for not leaving me, as I often get lit and talk at her about the relative merits of tubes vs. craws for like 90 minutes.

You definitively have other problems.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I used to fish a ton as a kid, but never cleaned them, my grandpa or his brother always would.
I took it back up again in my early 20's and when it came time to clean them I found I just had a hard time killing the animal, and so I stopped.
I still would LIKE to fish, but I hate hurting/killing them, so I gave it up. Oh well.

edit: yea I could just do catch and release, but sometimes when you gut-hook them, it's just too gross/painful for me to watch. And the crazy thing is that I'm not some huge anti-animal cruelty guy or whatever, it just bothers me to do that personally.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 21, 2016

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Nature is good, fishing is good. The city life is good but to experience the not city life sometimes is good too

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

You may have other problems.

Some hyperbole there, but I really did go walk around a Bass Pro and it was really nice to be distracted from worrying about work for a moment.

VendaGoat posted:

Edit:

You definitively have other problems.

Just lol if you can't debate tubs vc. craws for 90 minutes.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

ArtIsResistance posted:

Nature is good, fishing is good. The city life is good but to experience the not city life sometimes is good too

Truefacts.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

i was actually about to post 'so how much did you pay the captain of the tourist boat for permission to hold his steel framed fish catcher?' so please don't take back your post or apologize

while saltwater fishing obviously offers insane, impressing, even deadly opportunities, 90 percent of saltwater fisherman are facebook picture takers with 3000 dollars invested to catch about 3 fish a year before the robo-reeler takes over and pulls it in for them.

much like woodworking or nearly any craft, those who now define it in the eyes of the general public are entirely removed from the nature of a once great ancient craft.

"captain" of the "tourist boat" aka the 46' family sportfisher. My folks are pretty insanely into fishing.

Also roboreelers are acceptable when you are deep sea fishing and it's kinda impractical to reel dead weight for an hour for a fish that the pressure differential killed already, otherwise no one I know does this, it's kinda killing the point.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Just lol if you can't debate tubs vc. craws for 90 minutes.

While I may not partake in the ancient art of fishery, I can respect it. I would simply listen to your regalia and see if you would do the same to which I am inclined to.

Thereby we could both learn something and grow from it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

"captain" of the "tourist boat" aka the 46' family sportfisher. My folks are pretty insanely into fishing.

Also roboreelers are acceptable when you are deep sea fishing and it's kinda impractical to reel dead weight for an hour for a fish that the pressure differential killed already, otherwise no one I know does this, it's kinda killing the point.

roboreelers are never acceptable santiago reeled in a line with his bare hands until the nerve went out in his left hand, but i am now curious about your fishing adventures plz post pictures of your catches here, wednesday is looking like a good day to fish i will hopefully go finally do my first fishing of the season and post a picture of my stringer here

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

jeff smisek posted:

Life owns right now

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php#/forumsite/20518/topics/36104?page=1

Scroll down a little, pike is good solo, but better with a little effort

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

LowPartz posted:

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php#/forumsite/20518/topics/36104?page=1

Scroll down a little, pike is good solo, but better with a little effort

:eyepop: holy moly.. too bad I'm not bringing a cooler with me

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

jeff smisek posted:

:eyepop: holy moly.. too bad I'm not bringing a cooler with me

Shore lunch my dude. Sub olive oil for butter, Lil plastic thing of lemon juice, Walla!

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Youre right. You're always right

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I like to fish out on the ocean but fishing on a lake or river is boring

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Carmant posted:

:frogout:

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Carmant posted:

Dude, harsh

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Now that i think about it, i saw another pike recipe that skipped the boiling all together. Pan fry cubed pike with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, browning on each side. gently caress butter

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Makes bass edible too

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
like most hobbies, any time someone who has been doing it for a while tells you any particular piece of gear, or quality of gear is "necessary" or "minimum" or whatever, take it with more than a few grains of salt. what they actually mean is "you don't need this at all, but it's nice and I've been using it for a while and I'd miss it if it were gone"

most of the time their recommendations are a huge waste of money if you just want to dabble and see if you have an interest in the hobby.

if possible, go somewhere that rents gear or find someone with the gear willing to let you politely mooch and do that. don't buy a $150 pole just to try a day of fishing

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I go fishing for kokanee with my parents off the back of their pontoon/party boat. It has a proper fishing deck in the back, and easily holds four lines at once.

The kokanee are smaller at this time of year, at 9 - 11 inches; but the daily limit is 15 per person, so it can be a lot of fish/fishing.

On a good weather day we can get our limit of 45 in about 4-6 hours. Its totally good times.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yeah it'd be like telling someone to buy a set of Callaways and a couple boxes of ProV1s for someone who's never golfed before.
It's appreciated equipment, but if you're just out there to gently caress around, it's not worth it or needed. It isn't even needed by the people who actually use it, mostly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
A wise person told me a while ago that better gear won't necessarily catch more fish, but it will make the experience more pleasant.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you are new to fishing you should look on a map to find what pieces of water are near you then type "Fishing Fat Greek Lake" into google and read some old fogeys chatting about what fish are there in the forum. They will also say what kind of stuff they use and how they do it.

You then look up a "how to fillet a fish" video on Youtube and go to the lake with probably a) 60 dollar Walmart rod/reel with line on it, b) some Mr Twister lures, c) small stryofoam thing of worms

Stream fishing is harder and ocean fishing sometimes need more expensive stuff but whatever do whatever

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

stealie72 posted:

A wise person told me a while ago that better gear won't necessarily catch more fish, but it will make the experience more pleasant.

Totally agree. Go cheap initially, and once you have a feel for it, decide where to invest, if at all. Presentation (what lure, and how you retrieve it) will catch fish regardless of price.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Only a bad workman blames his tools.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

Only a bad workman blames his tools.

I don't think your interpretation is accurate. The $200 dollar rod is a joy to use, but a bamboo rod, line, hook, and worm can produce.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

King of Bees posted:

I did fly fishing guiding for a few years if that's something anyone is interested in

When you're off probe, I need to upgrade my fly rod and need recommendations, pref under $300. 4 or 5wt, maybe 9ft? Maybe shorter. For small colorado mtn streams (trout obv)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I don't think your interpretation is accurate. The $200 dollar rod is a joy to use, but a bamboo rod, line, hook, and worm can produce.

let me attempt to translate.

Only a poor angler blames his lures.

An experienced angler can adjust, to whatever variants, given he has the proper equipment. It is only a poor angler that would say he/she is either ill prepared, or not experienced enough to adapt to his surroundings.

:) better?

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

let me attempt to translate.

Only a poor angler blames his lures.

An experienced angler can adjust, to whatever variants, given he has the proper equipment. It is only a poor angler that would say he/she is either ill prepared, or not experienced enough to adapt to his surroundings.

:) better?
Not quite.
The advice simply said that the tools of higher quality were more comfort, not more effective. Also, we're not discussing lures, but rods and reels. In the parlance, lures are referred to as Terminal Tackle. Any experienced angler, since we're using that antiquated term, knows that there are variables introduced by each piece of equipment that affects all the others, so blaming the lure is, prima face, an argument that only reveals the inexperience of the plaintiff.

You mentioned earlier that you were not well versed in the habits of anglers, but it appears you're doing some research.

What's your particular hobby?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I love the waves and the salty breeze, and there's an element of danger. Hell, your boat could sink.. maybe there are sharks in the water. Anything could happen. You also catch bigger fish.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

Not quite.
The advice simply said that the tools of higher quality were more comfort, not more effective. Also, we're not discussing lures, but rods and reels. In the parlance, lures are referred to as Terminal Tackle. Any experienced angler, since we're using that antiquated term, knows that there are variables introduced by each piece of equipment that affects all the others, so blaming the lure is, prima face, an argument that only reveals the inexperience of the plaintiff.

You mentioned earlier that you were not well versed in the habits of anglers, but it appears you're doing some research.

What's your particular hobby?

You're telling me that an experienced angular would not first research where he/she is going and compensate for their tackle box, in regards to the environment they are going to be fishing in?

You're saying a master of their craft would not understand that there would be a difference between fishing in the pacific northwest and the Galveston harbor?

As for your question, Photography, amongst other hobbies.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

You're telling me that an experienced angular would not first research where he/she is going and compensate for their tackle box, in regards to the environment they are going to be fishing in?

You're saying a master of their craft would not understand that there would be a difference between fishing in the pacific northwest and the Galveston harbor?

As for your question, Photography, amongst other hobbies.

I think we're arguing to different points. You're discussing lures, while we were discussing the equipment used to present the lure (rod, reel, etc.). Your points on lure selection are correct: geography is absolutely a factor to consider. What works where i fish might be useless, from a terminal tackle perspective, than what works somewhere else, but the delivery system (rod, reel. Etc. ) relies more on technique preferred, rather than fish species sought.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion for you in regards to lures versus rods et. al. I can elaborate further if you'd like, but the finer points might prove boring for someone who has no interest in actually fishing.

What draws you to photography?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't usually catch and release or fly fish, but yesterday I took a 2 weight fly rod and some dry flies and played with grayling for a couple hours below a waterfall. It was pretty great.

• Locked thread