Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

the 6 pound line on my ugly stick

Ayyyyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

extra stout posted:

Which rod and reel did you get? What line did you put on it? What are you planning to catch? I'll be finally renewing my license tomorrow, just tied a barrel knot on a jig to the 6 pound line on my ugly stick

I just got some cheap Lews open reel with the understanding that I'll probably replace it within the year. Crappy 8 lb test line.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ayyyyyyyyyyyy

lmao somehow i've been using it for about one year now without ever thinking of the name outside of the old adage

Ryoshi posted:

I just got some cheap Lews open reel with the understanding that I'll probably replace it within the year. Crappy 8 lb test line.

sounds like it should work, are you just looking for sunfish to eat? or bass to take pictures of?

sometimes i wish i had run 8 pound instead of 6 on this, the only time the 6 snaps is when i (used to happen a lot now im 2 pro) hit a tough weed bed, or the one time i tried to swing in a bullhead (still landed him)

but in general i think feeling less nervous when i catch big fish would probably be worth losing 20 percent of the excitement of the fight that a black crappie gives on 6 pound test

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 19, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes I wanna switch to 8lb because I feel like then I could really gently caress a fish up

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Sheep-Goats posted:

Sometimes I wanna switch to 8lb because I feel like then I could really gently caress a fish up

I have to run 20 test because these fish are friggen big.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

The best was fishing trout in streams withb1 pound test

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

King of Bees posted:

a lot of the youtube guys who do a sunfish video do this and then the idiots in the comments all spam 'lol this guy is a pro fishrman and he thinks BLUEGILL put up a big fights?? xd my baby brother catches these!!!!'

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

I feel bad catching the trouts because of their silveryness and quikswimmin fights

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

a lot of the youtube guys who do a sunfish video do this and then the idiots in the comments all spam 'lol this guy is a pro fishrman and he thinks BLUEGILL put up a big fights?? xd my baby brother catches these!!!!'

Bluegill got the retard strength imo

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I caught a 95 lb yellowfin tuna off chub cay a few years back, it was pretty nice :smug: so uh oh yeah tell me more about that 9 lb bass or whatever op

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Seriously like a fishing line that's basically a horse hair. poo poo is challenging

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

extra stout posted:

lmao somehow i've been using it for about one year now without ever thinking of the name outside of the old adage

sounds like it should work, are you just looking for sunfish to eat? or bass to take pictures of?

Yeah pretty much. Just fishing some smaller lakes around the Midwest for now.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

U catching them logfish ones, them that just turn logwise against the water and don't bother swimmin, just layin there, minmaxin the effort on your part to effort on their part ratio, once in a while loopin your line around a lovely weed

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

i caught a kingfish once. he was fat but didn't wear a crown

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

I caught a 95 lb yellowfin tuna off chub cay a few years back, it was pretty nice :smug: so uh oh yeah tell me more about that 9 lb bass or whatever op

Leave the cool tuna alone imo

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah pretty much. Just fishing some smaller lakes around the Midwest for now.

the midwest is a big generalization but from all the youtube videos i watch of other people fishing when im not fishing, you should have some strangely big bluegill compared to ours on the east coast here.

if anyone here knows Neil of Grass Tyson i'd be interested in knowing why this is true

Fat Jesus posted:

i caught a kingfish once. he was fat but didn't wear a crown

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Shut up nerd. Catch a two pound brown trout on a fly rod with a #20 hook and an 8 foot leader and tthen we'll talk. Oh I did a tuna on a huge line and the deck hands did all the work! Me amazing!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

the midwest is a big generalization but from all the youtube videos i watch of other people fishing when im not fishing, you should have some strangely big bluegill compared to ours on the east coast here.

if anyone here knows Neil of Grass Tyson i'd be interested in knowing why this is true

It's because you got a lot of Chinamen and hillbillies that take home every single thing they can pull out of the water

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

Shut up nerd. Catch a two pound brown trout on a fly rod with a #20 hook and an 8 foot leader and tthen we'll talk. Oh I did a tuna on a huge line and the deck hands did all the work! Me amazing!

Sorry that was rude

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Saltwater fishing is way more fun than freshwater.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

crabcakes66 posted:

It depends

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

King of Bees posted:

i was actually about to post 'so how much did you pay the captain of the tourist boat for permission to hold his steel framed fish catcher?' so please don't take back your post or apologize

while saltwater fishing obviously offers insane, impressing, even deadly opportunities, 90 percent of saltwater fisherman are facebook picture takers with 3000 dollars invested to catch about 3 fish a year before the robo-reeler takes over and pulls it in for them.

much like woodworking or nearly any craft, those who now define it in the eyes of the general public are entirely removed from the nature of a once great ancient craft.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

crabcakes66 posted:

If you lack subtlety or taste, yeah

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

i was actually about to post 'so how much did you pay the captain of the tourist boat for permission to hold his steel framed fish catcher?' so please don't take back your post or apologize

while saltwater fishing obviously offers insane, impressing, even deadly opportunities, 90 percent of saltwater fisherman are facebook picture takers with 3000 dollars invested to catch about 3 fish a year before the robo-reeler takes over and pulls it in for them.

much like woodworking or nearly any craft, those who now define it in the eyes of the general public are entirely removed from the nature of a once great ancient craft.

I Agree

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I may not be a big trout fan but can we all agree that US fishing rules and lol at those loving idiots in England who sit next to a poo poo filled canal with balls of bread and a net that's like 30 feet long just so they can catch one of 15 variations of "carp-like fish with silver scales"

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
LoL if you think all saltwater fishing is deep sea fishing on charter boats.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saltwater fishing's one advantage is that it's much more conducive to body disposal.

naem
May 29, 2011

I caught an 18 pound salmon when I was twelve thanks dad :)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

crabcakes66 posted:

LoL if you think all saltwater fishing is deep sea fishing on charter boats.

guys trying to catch 80 pound fish in an ocean kayak are cool, we're all just addressing a known stereotype where a ton of loving people in america pay money while on vacation to be driven to a spot and then to be helped with reeling in a fish after the captain puts a freshly gutted goldfish with meth mixed in it's gut on the hook or whatever

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Surf fishing is the poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
All fishing rules, it is like the only thing that I care about anymore. It is all consuming to me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bongwizzard posted:

All fishing rules, it is like the only thing that I care about anymore. It is all consuming to me.

Dad?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Salmon are coming I can feel it in the air. The dead ones from last year are almost all rotted away, time for some fresh ones.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I saw an uglystik with a nice matte finish in dark gray. What is the point of that, it was not ugly in the slightest it was actually pretty nice lookin.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hustlin Floh posted:

I really wish fishing involved me battling a giant bluegillfish in an MMA style match. No fish can triumph over me in The Octagon.

ftfy

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I saw an uglystik with a nice matte finish in dark gray. What is the point of that, it was not ugly in the slightest it was actually pretty nice lookin.

The early versions of the rod had a clear tip, which was unlike other rods of the time, to highlight how resilient the top section was.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LowPartz posted:

The early versions of the rod had a clear tip, which was unlike other rods of the time, to highlight how resilient the top section was.

they still look the same, i think it's just where the carbon fiber hollow part becomes some weird super-bendy plastic which supposedly helps you feel the action on the hook more quickly without costing you any strength

in defense of a 40 dollar rods marketing: i've never actually heard of or seen any break at that part, mine works exactly as well as it did a year ago despite not having oiled the ball bearings or anything

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

extra stout posted:

they still look the same, i think it's just where the carbon fiber hollow part becomes some weird super-bendy plastic which supposedly helps you feel the action on the hook more quickly without costing you any strength

in defense of a 40 dollar rods marketing: i've never actually heard of or seen any break at that part, mine works exactly as well as it did a year ago despite not having oiled the ball bearings or anything

I'm using one that's 30 years old. My dad paid 25 bucks for it and it has yet to lose even a single eyelet.
Ugly stick + Shimano quick fire reel + 8 lb test Fireline= Indestructible Rig

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Plus, that setup costs less than 100 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extra stout posted:

That's a pretty fancy rod if it's got ball bearings.

• Locked thread