Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

There is a kick rear end fishing barge within a mile or so of me, and I would always be there if it were not for one thing. The state banned alcohol on the lake a couple years ago, so no drinking and fishing :(

That is loving unAmerican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Who wouldn't want to go out onto Lake Death with a sixer of Lone Star, bake in the sun and fish?

I think you all should secede from your state.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Moving to Florida will be an upgrade. Sit on the beach, drink rum drinks, and fish.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy.

Let's not say anything we can't take back.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

jeff smisek posted:

Fishing is extremely my poo poo, op. Leaving tomorrow for a 2-day pike trip at a big rear end reservoir. Rented a kayak, gonna load up my stuff, set to up camp somewhere remote and spend 2 days on the water only taking breaks for cooking trout and eggs on the fire and maybe taking a poop or two

jeff smisek posted:

Life owns right now

I believe it. Sounds cool to me.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Also, I was not kidding about fishing being all consuming, it has literally pushed every other hobby out of my life. Plus side I am outside constantly and usually walk like 20-50 miles a week now so that kinda rules, but I literally get antsy if I go more than a few days without fishing. The other week work was awful and I had to drive to a Bass Pro and buy some rubber worms to calm myself down.

You may have other problems.

Edit:

bongwizzard posted:

Also Also my posting is what it must be like for my girlfriend, who gets big ups for not leaving me, as I often get lit and talk at her about the relative merits of tubes vs. craws for like 90 minutes.

You definitively have other problems.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Just lol if you can't debate tubs vc. craws for 90 minutes.

While I may not partake in the ancient art of fishery, I can respect it. I would simply listen to your regalia and see if you would do the same to which I am inclined to.

Thereby we could both learn something and grow from it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

stealie72 posted:

A wise person told me a while ago that better gear won't necessarily catch more fish, but it will make the experience more pleasant.

Only a bad workman blames his tools.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I don't think your interpretation is accurate. The $200 dollar rod is a joy to use, but a bamboo rod, line, hook, and worm can produce.

let me attempt to translate.

Only a poor angler blames his lures.

An experienced angler can adjust, to whatever variants, given he has the proper equipment. It is only a poor angler that would say he/she is either ill prepared, or not experienced enough to adapt to his surroundings.

:) better?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

Not quite.
The advice simply said that the tools of higher quality were more comfort, not more effective. Also, we're not discussing lures, but rods and reels. In the parlance, lures are referred to as Terminal Tackle. Any experienced angler, since we're using that antiquated term, knows that there are variables introduced by each piece of equipment that affects all the others, so blaming the lure is, prima face, an argument that only reveals the inexperience of the plaintiff.

You mentioned earlier that you were not well versed in the habits of anglers, but it appears you're doing some research.

What's your particular hobby?

You're telling me that an experienced angular would not first research where he/she is going and compensate for their tackle box, in regards to the environment they are going to be fishing in?

You're saying a master of their craft would not understand that there would be a difference between fishing in the pacific northwest and the Galveston harbor?

As for your question, Photography, amongst other hobbies.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I think we're arguing to different points. You're discussing lures, while we were discussing the equipment used to present the lure (rod, reel, etc.). Your points on lure selection are correct: geography is absolutely a factor to consider. What works where i fish might be useless, from a terminal tackle perspective, than what works somewhere else, but the delivery system (rod, reel. Etc. ) relies more on technique preferred, rather than fish species sought.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion for you in regards to lures versus rods et. al. I can elaborate further if you'd like, but the finer points might prove boring for someone who has no interest in actually fishing.

What draws you to photography?

I think we are arguing different points. You're discussing different cameras, while I am discussing different lens, used to capture the pictures. The Camera is responsible for the actual picture, but the lens is used for the different factors in capturing the picture. From a Lens perspective you could say that a 16 mm vs a 50 mm is used for entirely different subjects and angels, and then from a 50mm to a 200mm is completely different. All depending on the type of picture you wish to capture.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion for you in regards to lens versus cameras, off camera flashes and the like. I can eleborate further if you'd like, but the finer points might prove to be boring for someone who has no interest in actual photography.

What draws you to angling?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I enjoy it.

You are loving drat skippy. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I hope the same holds true for you and photography.

:respek:

LowPartz posted:

Ask your friends to show you the right way to do it. No one learns without guidance. If they still call you names, your friends might be dicks.

:respek:X2

• Locked thread