Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
This is the non-spoiler thread for the weekly episode discussion!

Big Brother US airs three-times weekly, on Sundays, Wednesdays and Thursdays on CBS.

Thursday Show - Live Show where a player is evicted, Head of Household competition held or begins
Sunday Show - Post-HOH Competition events, Roadkill competition where winner can secretly nominate third person, HOH Nominations + Roadkill Nomination
Wednesday Show - Veto Competition, Re-nominations if needed

The season starts June 22nd! The theme for this season is currently unknown, but it will feature a mix of new players, siblings of former players and apparently returning players.

What is Big Brother?

Depending upon your level of appreciation for gross filth, reality TV shenanigans and sometimes excellent strategic gameplay, Big Brother is either the bottom of the TV barrel or an entertaining way to waste the summer. The American version of the Dutch original, Big Brother crams around 16 people in a soundstage house for approximately 97 days. Each week the players or "Houseguests" will compete in competitions to determine who has power in the house. The one who wins this power, the "Head of Household" (HOH) has the ability to nominate two people for eviction. These two players, the HOH and three other randomly drawn guests will compete in the Power of Veto competition. The winner of this power will have the ability to veto one of the nominations. If one of the nominations is vetoed, the HOH will have to replace the player who was removed. Once the final two nominees are set, the rest of the house will vote to evict one person from the game. The HOH no longer plays a part unless this vote becomes a tie, in which case they will cast a vote to break it. Once the player is evicted, all the guests save for the previous HOH will compete in a new HOH competition and the process will repeat itself. This year an additional single competition called Roadkill will allow the winner to secretly nominate a third nominee who will also play for veto and be up for eviction.

Each week will follow this model with some minor variations. All through this process viewers are treated to "Diary Room" (DR) sessions, as the producers will privately speak with each player about their gameplay, their thoughts on other players and the game itself. This interview process also gives the DR the ability to affect the players in subtle or not so subtle ways. (Ex: So you won HOH, who will you nominate? Do you trust player X? Why? Do you believe what they say? Do you think you should make a big move? Is nominating player X really a big move?) The best part of this is that their usually comes across on the live feeds, allowing viewers to see from where plans and moves really come.

Strategy will come into play as alliances are made and broken to ensure ones safety. Unlike some shows like Survivor, this gives the chance for those low on the totem pole to gain power and strike back against majority alliances. Approximately 4-5 weeks into the game, all future evicted players will become members of the jury. Once the house reaches the final three, all three Houseguests will compete in three rounds of competition for the final HOH. Once the final HOH is selected, they'll evict the final player. These final two will then go before the jury, who will then select a winner. The various competitions within the house means there are often several opportunities for people to obtain power and exploit it or fake sucking at competitions to fly under the radar. Both strategies often prove successful to various degrees. The strategy sessions among players often prove to be one of the best aspects of the show, as you get a daily running idea of who they are targeting, who they can manipulate to do certain things and ways to ensure they achieve their goals. There is also a generally reliable amount of schadenfreude, as those on the top often hit lows through luck or DR meddling.

Why should I watch?

Perhaps you're a fan or Survivor or Amazing Race or perhaps you've seen one of the other flavors of Big Brother from around the world like the U.K., Canadian or Australian edition. Big Brother U.S. takes many of the same concepts seen in reality competition while also giving one a semi-behind the scenes view of what's really going on. Because the online "live feeds" gives viewers a window into the house for 90% of the week, we can get a good idea of what's really happening with alliances and schemes, what the players are actually like, and what meddling is possibly happening by Big Brother to get certain things to happen. One can then compare that version of reality against what they see on their screens three nights a week on CBS. In past experience, this means that viewers are sometimes treated to racist, homophobic or sexist talk which never makes air. Sometimes this happens to such a degree as to force CBS to acknowledge these actions officially and on air, as was the case with Big Brother 15.

Unlike the original Dutch version and several other international versions, the viewing public generally has no part to play in removing players from the game. However they can affect certain punishments or rewards through online or phone voting. This can include the gross food choices for the Have Not competition losers, or possibly secret tasks assigned to the House Guests.

What should I watch?

If you're interested in looking into past seasons, I personally recommend checking out a couple of seasons to various degrees. They'll all available through CBS All Access on the cbs.com website:

Big Brother 1: Most closely followed the original Dutch premise, as viewers voted on who got evicted. The only U.S. season to follow this model.
Big Brother 2: Switched up the format to have the HOH nominate two for eviction and features one of the most highly regarded players in show history.
Big Brother 3: Introduced the Power of Veto, which gave the nominated a better chance to save themselves. BB US took on its present form with this season.
Big Brother 7: The first and only true All Stars season. Featured players from all the previous seasons, and includes one of the fan favorite alliances in show history.
Big Brother 10: General Goon consensus as one of the best seasons, featuring a memorable cast and another contestant in the running for the best in show history.
Big Brother 12: Worthy winner, with some solid gameplay. Features subsequent Survivor player Hayden Moss and unleashed Brenchel, the now married couple of Brendon and Rachel who you might have seen on The Amazing Race.
Big Brother 14: Return of four previous players who act as "Coaches" to newbies. One of the returnees being a fan favorite who displays some of the best gameplay in show history. Also features the brother of Survivor player Russell Hantz, who lives up to the family reputation.
Big Brother 16: Solid gameplay from the eventual winner, who ran a clinic on how not to get targeted.

Seasons to avoid:

Big Brother 9: Slap dash writers strike spring season. The winner later went to jail for illegal oxycodone sales, the rest of the cast was all generally horrible. Possibly worthwhile as a train wreck.
Big Brother 15: The misogynist and racist season. The winner played a decent game, but they and most of the players were generally derogatory and deluded people.

Okay, I'm down to watch

If you're interested, you can tune in several ways:

The CBS Show: Airs three nights a week: Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday. Is a compilation version of what has happened in the house with a live Thursday show.
Big Brother After Dark: Airs every night for three hours from around 11-2 on POP. Rotates between live feeds, censors language and has commercial breaks.
Live Feeds Online through CBS All Access: "24/7" access to the feeds barring ceremonies, competitions and the Thursday live show taping. Also blanks out feeds when some legal issue may arise. i.e. copyrighted song singing or players speaking about someone by name who didn't sign off and allow that.
CBS also provides clips of various memorable events through their Live Streaming Player.

So what do the Live Feeds get you? Four camera feeds from inside the house. Generally two cameras focusing on an area each. Meaning two cameras will cover the same conversation from different angles, while two other cameras cover another conversation. Which room is being covered will be at the mercy of the guys and gals in the control room. They are generally good about switching to conversations/events most at interest strategically or those the most entertaining. It should be noted that live feeds are not required to get a feel for the show or keep up, but it might be of interest to check out one of the previous seasons, then look for live feed clips online to see how it works. If you do find you enjoy a certain player, the feeds give you the ability to see them a lot more, get a better sense of their game and personality.

If you don't get the feeds, you can also still get a daily/hourly/minute by minute run down of what's happening. As several websites post updates on everything that happens on the live feeds within the house. These include:

http://www.bigbrothernetwork.com
http://www.hamsterwatch.com
http://www.jokersupdates.com
http://www.onlinebigbrother.com

If you wish to jump in the live feeds and talk spoilers, head over to the live feeds spoiler thread here.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Season 18 Cast:

Paul Abrahamiam - Tarzana, CA - 23
Victor Arroyo - Slidell, LA - 25
Corey Brooks - Dallas, TX - 25
Paulie Calafiore - Howell, NJ - 27 [Brother of Big Brother 16 Cody Calafiore]
Bronte D'Acquisto - San Diego, CA - 26
Bridgette Dunning - Ventura, CA - 24
Frank Eudy - Marion, AR - 32 [Big Brother 14]
Zakiyah Everette - Charlotte, NC - 24
Jozea Flores - Los Angeles, CA - 25
Nicole Franzel - Ubly, MI - 23 [Big Brother 16]
Glenn Garcia - Bronx, NY - 50
James Huling - Wichita Falls, TX - 32 [Big Brother 17]
Michelle Meyer - Washington Township, MI - 23
Natalie Negrotti - Franklin Park, NJ - 26
Da'Vonne Rogers - Inglewood, CA - 28 [Big Brother 17]
Tiffany Rousso - West Palm Beach, FL - 32 [Sister of Big Brother 17 Vanessa Rousso]

In the season premiere, the cast was divided into four teams by schoolyard pick. With each Houseguest picking an opposite sex Houseguest to join their team.
Each group then came up with a team name.

Frank1 -> Michelle5 -> Paulie12 -> Bridgette13 [Category 4]
Da'Vonne2 -> Paul6 -> Zakiyah11 -> Josea14 [Big Sister]
James3 -> Natalie7 -> Victor10 -> Bronte15 [Team Unicorn]
Nicole4 -> Corey8 -> TIffany9 -> Glenn16 [Freakazoids]

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 22, 2016

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My predictions for this season:

Julie Chen announces this is going to be the craziest big brother season ever, due to the many wacky twists awaiting the houseguests. Stay tuned to find out what they are! But first-

There will be one highly effeminate gay man, and one redneck, who has never seen a gay before, and is surprised to find they become friends.

There will be a bitchy woman with terrible social skills who no one likes, who will be voted out early. In her exit interview, she will say she wouldn't have done a single thing differently.

90% of the houseguests will be pretty. 10%, not so much.

At least one evicted houseguest will reenter the house. This won't end up changing anything.

Julie Chen will use the word "showmance", which will make you cringe and wonder why you're watching such a cheesy show. But you'll keep watching.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I want a gay showmance this season so Trump talks about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to this season is what kind of conflicts Trump causes in that house. Casting better have made sure this happens. I know BB15 scared you but I doubt even you could find 18 people without opinions on this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

One of the things I'm most looking forward to this season is what kind of conflicts Trump causes in that house. Casting better have made sure this happens. I know BB15 scared you but I doubt even you could find 18 people without opinions on this.

They should tell the contestants that Hillary Clinton has dropped out and that Trump is expected to win easily

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Two hour premiere starts in just under an hour! (screw the west coast)

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

STAC Goat posted:

I've seen a couple of tweets from Glenn that indicate his preference.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Away we go!

edit: But first!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OH my god, Bronte.

Feeds hell.

Ok... First impressions are that Tiffany is SO much Vanessa and Paulie is SO much Cody that I'm convinced it must be put on.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 23, 2016

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

STAC Goat posted:

OH my god, Bronte.

Feeds hell.

We appreciate your sacrifices, STAC Goat.

I kinda hate Michelle more than Bronte right now, though.

STAC Goat posted:

Ok... First impressions are that Tiffany is SO much Vanessa and Paulie is SO much Cody that I'm convinced it must be put on.

It's kind of ridiculous.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Jesus, Frank is drat near unrecognizable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm calling Tiffany not outing herself after Paulie the first mistake of the game. Now that they know about Paulie they're going to be speculating and two people have already sniffed Tiffany out just based on what they've shown us. It would make sense for the vets to ally with Paulie and Tiffany but this isn't the most strategic group of vets.

Wee Bairns posted:

Jesus, Frank is drat near unrecognizable.

I'm not entirely convinced that is Frank.

Well, Da's already pissed off about something. New season.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 23, 2016

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I'm calling Tiffany not outing herself after Paulie the first mistake of the game. Now that they know about Paulie they're going to be speculating and two people have already sniffed Tiffany out just based on what they've shown us. It would make sense for the vets to ally with Paulie and Tiffany but this isn't the most strategic group of vets.

Yeah she even knows that her mannerisms are similar and there are two houseguests who literally played with Vanessa so I have no idea what she's thinking.

I really like Bronte so far, Paul seems like he's gonna flame out really quick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, in any regular season Bronte and Paul seem like the type to annoy people and get early boots, but there's so many variables here with teams, vets, and blood. So who knows? And an early eviction?

And really, it's BB. Everyone's kind of obnoxious in their own way.

Also, as someone who is going to type a lot of words about BB this summer I'm annoyed they cast a Paul and a Paulie.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Nicole status: Still adorable

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I HATE PAULIE.

I'm not entirely sure that isn't residual Cody hate but I'm not sure it makes a difference.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

STAC Goat posted:

I'm calling Tiffany not outing herself after Paulie the first mistake of the game.

Yeah, she's like Vanessa with dyed hair. Her face looks like her. She has the exact same voice. Welp.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, in any regular season Bronte and Paul seem like the type to annoy people and get early boots, but there's so many variables here with teams, vets, and blood. So who knows?

Bronte is kind of obnoxious-cute not obnoxious-get out.

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 23, 2016

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Corey looks like the most boring man alive, but I have a feeling he's going to be really good at this game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This team was made to be coached by James.

Oh, Tiffany.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
I don't like anyone on Team Unicorn except for Bronte but I love them together.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

rafington posted:

I don't like anyone on Team Unicorn except for Bronte but I love them together.

I really wanted them to name their team The Calvary.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

pospysyl posted:

Corey looks like the most boring man alive, but I have a feeling he's going to be really good at this game.

He'll be good the way Caleb was good.

Edit: Do they vet these people at all? http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/06/big-brother-corey-brooks-gay-slurs/

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 23, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

violetdragon posted:

That's a pretty bold prediction. I mean, you don't just stumble on insane stalker pathological lying narcissists every season.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This is a rather Survivor-ish challenge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wee Bairns posted:

This is a rather Survivor-ish challenge.

It's kind of the problem with an individual game vs a team one. Only chance to do fun team challenges in BB are Have Not comps that no one cares about.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

violetdragon posted:

Edit: Do they vet these people at all? http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/06/big-brother-corey-brooks-gay-slurs/

Well, unless this is BB15 redux, I'm wrong.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I can't be the only one ready to see Da'Vonne evicted first can I?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

STAC Goat posted:

That's a pretty bold prediction. I mean, you don't just stumble on insane stalker pathological lying narcissists every season.

I meant like Caleb in the sense he's strong physically but not strategically and thinks he's great. Not in the creepy stalker sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

fallin1 posted:

Its tough to rally behind her when she's immediately falling into the same traps that did her in last time. I know it's a lot to ask someone to grow more patience and control of their emotions in one year... but what do you think cost you last time?

violetdragon posted:

I meant like Caleb in the sense he's strong physically but not strategically and thinks he's great. Not in the creepy stalker sense.

I'm expecting more of a boring Clay/Cody/Shane in that mold, but who knows?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

fallin1 posted:

Nope, I'm there with ya.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Who are the other three stowaways besides nicole? Bad weather coverage took over here just after she showed up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bagrada posted:

Who are the other three stowaways besides nicole? Bad weather coverage took over here just after she showed up.

James and Da'vonne from last season and big Frank from BB14.

To be fair to Da', Paul is loving intolerable.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 23, 2016

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

STAC Goat posted:

I'm good with either of them going first.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

fallin1 posted:

For someone that was out second she's impressively playing even worse.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

STAC Goat posted:

James and Da'vonne from last season and big Frank from BB14.

Yeah, old Da'vonne would have told him off almost immediately.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I won't lie. If Nicole goes home in Ep2 I'll be a little heartbroken. And I kinda want to see if the Vanessa/Tiffany similarities continue to a nervous breakdown.

Although mostly I think this is a reaction to knowing Day and Paul are safe. That's unfortunate.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I came into this season knowing that I would hate Bronte the most.

I'm here to admit I was wrong. gently caress Paul in every way imaginable. He's Frankie Grande levels of intolerable. The fact that in his first talking head he already had a sore voice let me know that he's going to just scream and yell to be heard constantly and will make me want to cancel my feeds.

So glad BB is back though :3::hf::3:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
To be fair, most of the cast is kinda terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

STAC Goat posted:

I won't lie. If Nicole goes home in Ep2 I'll be a little heartbroken. And I kinda want to see if the Vanessa/Tiffany similarities continue to a nervous breakdown.

Although mostly I think this is a reaction to knowing Day and Paul are safe. That's unfortunate.

I will also be super sad if Nicole goes. Depending on the type of competition they get, I see Glenn as probably having a big disadvantage due to age. Also, use one of those rockets to shoot Paul into the sun.

• Locked thread