Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Australia has or had a reality TV series called "The World's Strictest Parents", wherein lovely parents send their delinquent children abroad to get some tough love. Because apparently aussies and kiwis feel like the US south has its poo poo together when it comes to families and education for some reason or other.

It features lovely things like a young gay teen getting forcibly baptized by Southern Baptists, and those boot camp programs which do jack and poo poo. So if you like the novelty of trading lovely incompetent parents for passive aggressive hovering adults who are differently bad, this might be the show for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ1SPpKyVd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Can you link that episode? That sounds crazy and totally goes against actual southern baptist doctrine. I'd like to see it.

I'll try to find it. I haven't watched the show in years. It may not have been southern baptists, but they were definitely a protestant denomination. I just assumed since it had a southern baptist vibe. I'll link it when I find it.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

My Q-Face posted:

"For some reason" is there are plenty of fundies in Australia. In fact, we make it a point to import them from the other former colonies, like Australia and South Africa to the US.

Creationist Ken Ham, the guy who built that Museum with Jesus riding a Dinosaur, for example.

Dr. Ben Carson enjoys traveling to NZ and Australia to peddle his snake oil, too. The reason I stumbled on the "World's Strictest Parents" videos is because I was looking for links between the AFA (US) and New Zealand's Family First organization. That group has been waging a decade long battle against NZ's anti-smacking legislation. Which sounds adorable in a kiwi accent, but actually they want to remove barriers to parents and other adults beating the hell out of kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRdhGhj0q8

• Locked thread