Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Versum
Versum is angry, and their first thought is to curse the sniper to a slow and painful death. But they restrain themselves. The sniper might be possessed, or their hand may be forced in other ways. Fast as they can they fly to the room where the sniper is packing up his weapon. Perhaps one of don Marconi's goons? They would find out. They let their voice be heard.
"Murderer! Assassin! You have taken the life of s holy man and thus your life is forfeit! And so your life falls to me, and I stand in judgement over you! Tell me who sent you, and why, and my judgement may be mild!"

Persuade an npc: 2d6 9 i have no clue if this is the correct roll or what the options are. Don't have books and am phone posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Maxine Wei

Charlie chuckles, "Oh, I got plans m'lady, I got plans. You're looking for Miss Zhang. She hangs in that Chinese buffet by the Mcdonalds, by the market. She's been here a long time, knows the ins and outs of all the politics in the city. She lives in White King territory, but I got it on good authority that she's not a fan. I'm not coming if you want to talk in person, now way am I being seen past Denny. But I can share her skype contact and write you up an intro. She... might ask some strange things in exchange, not hard, but strange."

What do you do?

Jack Chase

Jack slides along the wall. The woman is silvery, with her face covered. Now, you know a thing or two about ghosts, and you know for a fact that this is some kind of siren. She's gonna turn around any second now, give you the old fashioned demon face, and then a shrill, disorienting scream that will alert the other ghosts and give you a headache.

What do you do?

Versum

The man grins, he's pale skinned and empty eyed, "man, the boss is one smart cookie. Said you'd rush right in here, making demands. But you're in no position to make them." You head closer to him, but something stops you. You float back, but something stops you. He points up, and down. Circles, rune, arcane trickery! "That bang was just the bait, godling. The Don has a gift for you: oblivion!" he starts reciting something aloud. Spoken word poetry, of a sort. A ritual to tear away the consciousness of a little god, wipe its memory and personality and reset it to its most basic ideals.

What do you do?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jack Chase
Without a second to lose, Jack quicky tries to wrap his chain around the siren's throat before she can scream.

Let It Out
!roll 2d6-1
RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 9:56 PM
@IShallRise -Jack Chase you rolled 4, 3-1 for a total of 6.
Unless Cassie tries to assist him, Jack is going to fail.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Blood +0 Heart -1 Mind +1 Spirit +2
Mortal 1 Night -1 Wild 1 Power 1
Harm: 0/5 Corruption: 2/5 Armor: 0 Foretelling: 0

I glare down at the tarot cards. gently caress Tarot. Like the world is supposed to fit in all these compartmentalized vague categories. That's the type of thing my father believed. Categories and hierarchies. He spent his whole life building little pyramids of power with himself at the top. gently caress that.

I drum my fingers down, one on each card. I'm just about to pick the Devil and make a pithy little speech about Lucifer and free will and better to serve in hell and blah blah blah when my hand spasms and flicks the Death card. It skitters across the table, moving on its own, like it suddenly turned into a cockroach. It runs around the table, seeking an exit. Looking down at it in revulsion, I slam my palm down, pinning it to the table. Then I look Madame Petit straight in the eye.

"Death it is, then. Someone in this room is going to die in the next ten minutes. This I foretell." I look her in the eye. I didn't intend to say it, but now that I've said it, I know it's true. And she knows its true; she's got enough power to recognize a true prophecy whens he hears one.

"So," I say conversationally. "I guess we're about to see how much you really trust in Fate. Are you willing to die for the sake of your faith? Or do you want to live? Thirty three percent chance. Not amazing odds."

I'm going to burn my Foretelling hold to escalate the situation by declaring that something terrible is going to happen. Also burning my other Figure Out Hold to see "Who is pulling her strings?"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Maxine Wei
Harm / 00 00

"Skype? If I'm doing this online, you're going to be sitting there next to me until the introductions are over. Skype.. My sire is spinning in his ash-pile." Not like he burned up or anything, but he was around long enough that his body basically fell apart. Mixed in with everything that keeps us together, we tend to look like ash when all but the youngest of us die. "Fine, fine. Skype it is. I'd like to meet her in person, but you're right. With this giant-rear end target on my back, I don't think even a friendly visit to the local store will be all that safe. Just gotta find a place to settle down.. She's not going to just use text, is she?"

I take a deep breath, looking over at Charlie while I get my game face on. Joking about things is easy when nothing's on the line. But this might be the only way I can get a decent rundown of my more-obvious options, maybe get some names to look up. Skype's loaded up on my phone, so I hand it over to Charlie while they're both in the car. "Do your magic introduction, then I'll take over. Is she one of us?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ashley Winston

She smiles gently, "A good choice, but if you do not follow through, it's the swords again." She places the gun on the table and slides it until it falls in your lap. "Kill me, stop me from breaking the seal. Know that you are a murderer, who struck down a woman whose only desire is to help you. Suffer. Kill him. Know that you took the life of a man who never wronged you, who is no risk to the world. Suffer. Or, kill you. No more suffering. Or, clever girl, walk away. But then I will break the seal. Suffer. Choose Death now, or Ten Thousand Cuts."

She might be reading tarot, but there was a special tenor to how she said God. God, not Fate. She was touched by an angel. Probably Azrael. Azrael is itching for a fight, looking to end the world in a glorious bang in the name of God.

---
Maxine

"Kind of?" Charlie shrugs, "she's from one of the other lines, you know Chinese vampires? It's like, Americans and Australians. Mostly American but with a funny accent. Sometimes they switch, not every Chinese vampire is Chinese, not like I'm being racist. This one's Chinese though. Anyway, she eats, like, good vibes or something. Also limps all the time."

She calls up and makes the introduction, boring stuff but you notice that her speech is suddenly quite formal and polite.

Miss Zhang is using video skype. She's in some kind of parlor room/office. Decorated like a Chinese restaurant, but with more weird knick knacks. "Charlie says you are someone worth knowing, but you have questions about the city. I will answer three questions for every task you do me. I will answer the three first to prove my value. Then you will do the task to prove yours."

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

One missed phone call. Why did his life always go to poo poo in the underground? When Jack was here. When Jack couldn't answer the phone. Everything seems to go into slow motion as whatever counts of a brain in this demons body snaps at a hair trigger. Didn't this guy work for the mob? Didn't he know there were rules?! For all he knew this guy was royalty. He'd already called himself Count or something. Well that didn't matter now. All he knew was that he had to contain this raging beast.

He empties the focus he'd been carrying earlier onto Druford, magical runes appearing all over him, protecting him better than any steal or Kevlar. Then reaching into his pocket he draws the key again and plunges it into an invisible lock. Turning it suddenly portals open all around Marky and dark chains fly out and start tangling around him.

"Marky! What would the Don say!

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 11:49 AM
@Apocron - Martin Beck you rolled 6, 3+1 for a total of 10.

Spend 3 hold give Druford 3 armor.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Marky Marx, The Tainted

Blood +2 Heart +1 Mind -1 Spirit +0
Mortal* 1 Night* -1 Power 0 Wild 2
Corruption: 4/5 Armor: 2 (-1 if the source is holy or blessed)
Harm: 0 Faint, 00 Grievous, 00 Critical

As those stupid chains bound my hands, I was confused. I thought this fucker was a vampire, not a wizards. Wizards don't call themselves counts. Oh poo poo, it was Martin wasn't it? That backstabbing oval office.

His little shout did little to calm me down. "The Don would say the same thing he said when he gave me these powers: never let anyone gently caress with you and always remember your loyalties!" I pause before continuing. "You expecting me to sing kumbaya now or some poo poo? This undead son of a bitch started poo poo with me and was getting the horns. And, hell, he was starting poo poo with you too!"

These binds won't hold me, they weren't meant to. Not for long, at least. Little lawyer pants is just a small time magister, not a commando. But they did their job: they made me mostly miss and made me realize that Martin wants me to chill. Now, Martin can get into the fetal position and suck his own dick till he drowns in his own cum for all I care, but I do need a lawyer if poo poo goes sideways tomorrow.

I'll play along for now. Easier that way.

"Balls in your court now, Martin."

Heh, poor fucker is probably shocked. Only saw my public face till now. People don't get it: all celebrities are soulless. For me, that's just literal. Add that to all the mafia jobs I'm expected to do everyday and the world lining up to gently caress me in my rear end for the last sixty years and you can't expect me to give a gently caress about someone's life.

Covok fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 24, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Martin and Marky

"You think I'm a bitch huh! YOU THINK I"M A BITCH! I AM COUNT DRUFORD! I TAKE poo poo FROM NO ONE! NOT VAMPIRE, NOT DEMON, NOT WEREWOLF!"

Druford is wounded from the shot, but mostly it was softened by Martin's armor, and he's quick to take advantage of the opening, he draws a cane sword from beneath the bar, lightning quick, and cuts Marky. (3-harm from the exchange)

Druford doesn't seem to realize how close he came to dying and is continuing hostilities, worse, you can hear movement outside, those shots roused someone.

Marky, Druford is supernaturally armored and you are hampered by magical chains. Martin, this is not a cool situation at all.

What do you do?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cassie the Wolf
Stats: Blood 2, Heart -1, Mind 0, Spirit 1
Factions: Mortality 1, Night 1x, Power -1, Wild 1
Harm: 0/5 Corruption: 2/5 Armor: 0

Before we go in, I send two last texts:

To Ashley posted:

looks like he was tellin the truth so were going on a ghost hunt.
call ya when were done.

To Maxine posted:

we got it handled here.
thanks though.

Once inside, I roll my eyes at Jack doing his SWAT moves. Doesn't matter where you are in the room. They're ghosts. They can walk through walls. If anything, you wanna be in the middle of the room so they can't get the jump on you. So, I walk straight over to the door he motions towards. Then, he slings the silver chain through it. I see that he just missed his target, and normally, I'd be telling him to give talking a chance with these ghosts. But I can feel the energy building up in the room. She's about to do something nasty. So, I lunge forward and throw the chain back the other way, making it swing around the ghost's neck.

Once she's on the leash, I step forward and whisper, "Look, we don't want trouble. We just wanna talk without getting the whole place breathing down our necks, ok? Now why don't you calm down and tell us what the problem is?"

Helping
!roll 2d6+1
@Capfalcon - Cassie you rolled 6, 2+1 for a total of 9.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Maxine Wei
Harm / 00 00

As soon as the phone comes back to pointing at me, I try to give a formal tone as well. Anything to keep these things as smooth as possible. "Charlie may not have mentioned it, but due to some actions outside of my control, I have..inherited the land around the Woodland Park Zoo as my own. I have the documents to prove it. I am only giving context to the following questions, so that you understand my current situation. Who are all the players that far north?" Well, that's one question. I'm tempted to ask what territory they hold, but I don't doubt that would count as another question.

"Are there any places or things that are important that far north? And, finally, who's my best bet on getting the area under control from all the crime that's happening around there? Not that I don't trust the police to do their jobs, but they looked outmatched really badly up there. Now, to hold up my end of the bargain, what do you need done?" It's hard to keep this calm with this woman, so I try to think back to, of all things, my grandma. She's dead now, of course, but the two seem to have some similarities. Mainly, completely ignoring the text message that I just received, no matter how interesting it may be.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 24, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Chase
While she is good at fighting, Jack decides he needs to stop taking Cassie on ghost hunting jobs. "Uh Cassie, she's a siren. They aren't exactly the talkative type. Now help me take her out before she attracts the other ghosts." Jack tightens the chains on the siren's neck.

Unleash an attack
!roll 2d6+1
RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 11:41 PM
@IShallRise -Jack Chase you rolled 6, 2+1 for a total of 9.
I'm going to take her voice. The chain is silvered, enchanted, and inflicts +2 damage with the deadly skill.
She is going to inflict harm

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 24, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Jack Chase and Cassie

You slowly strangle the unlife out of her. She stares at you, stricken, hurt. A scene flashes into your mind of her sprawled on a bed and strangled in a very similar way. Choking, struggling, trying so desperately to scream, all she wants is to scream, scream without breath, forever.

You both take 1 harm ap (psychic)

What do you do?

Maxine Wei

She ponders a moment, "So many better questions you could ask. But asking what you should ask is yet another question I suppose. The university is in your area. A center for mortal power, mostly, but you can find a man of significance there: a rogue warlock who uses both magic and science to create the most fascinating things. Also, do not forget that you are still near the sea, and the sea bears powerful allies, and enemies. The Naga Queen is yet unaligned. There are 'players' from across the sea, though they remain well hidden. The Don is there, his fingers are everywhere. Same for the Dragon's children. There is a thing that has the appearance of a little girl, who hides close, though I do not know her exact location. The entire world hates and fears her. Finally, the Knights of Seattle are growing in numbers, equipment, knowledge, organization, and thus power. They are based North of you. And Cassie, but you know her.

As for things and places, that is so very broad. One of the bears in your zoo is not what it appears. A wild leyline has recently been released on your land. Now it is a nexus for negative energies. Ghosts will gather and drink deeply of it. A wizard may come to tap into it. Finally there is the Blue Moon Cafe. A gathering place for shifters, hedge wizards, freaks of various sorts.

Finally we have crime. A curious thing for you to combat, I thought your kind enjoyed the chaos. Regardless, the true cure for crime lies not in police oppression or heroic antics. It lies in prosperity. They need jobs, purpose, and the discipline that comes with that. You may think that is beyond you, but it is not. This is your land, my dear. And you could do with agents, retainers, and funding partners.

Now, my task is simple. There is a man, bound and gagged at the following address. There will be a note on him with words. Read the words and kill the man."

What do you do?

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 24, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

Before Druford can strike again Martin jumps between him and Marky. Stretching his arms out before the chained demon he looks his client straight in the eye.

"Mr Druford, my apologies for what happened before. As you know the underground is a dangerous place. Especially for one so mortal as myself. I brought this demon with me as I knew that I would need defense but I had hoped our dealings would be throroughly businesslike in nature. If you wish do strike me down but know that your dealings with the surface world will end there, not only will the full force of the mortal machinery reject you but you will also have struck at Giger, Giger and Smith itself. I do not need to elucidate the full scope of their power, for I do not understand it myself, but I know that they will not take their loss of revenue at my expiration with grace. Please Mr Druford, let us sit and discuss the IRS and deeds and ink instead of blood and hate. It is my wish to see your estates restored within the rule of law."

Rolling Persuasion

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 2:19 PM
@Apocron - Martin Beck you rolled 3, 2 for a total of 5.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Martin and Marky

Martin jumps between you, and as inhuman thugs break in, things with long arms and strong muscles that reek of blood, Druford pauses. "You are a respectful man, and I have never had bad dealings with the Firm. I don't know what you mean about the IRS, but if you mean to restore my lands, then swear it. Swear it on your Name and Power, that you will return every bit of land stolen from me."

This oath is binding for a wizard as few oaths are. If you break it, your own magic will turn against you, a scar on your very spirit

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

"Mr Druford my oath is to my firm and my firm alone. If you want to compel me to assist you in this matter I urge you to please use the proper channels! Mr Giger would be most displeased if I were to take an oath to you and by some chance it ran contrary to the interests of the firm!

You yourself have reminded us of your tenure within these lands of Seattle and the very matter that brings me to your home this evening is to do with that same tenure! Your IRS documentation has been flagged since they have been held by you in continuity for 145 years. Now I have already taken action to delay a summons of the court that was made of you, but now we need to talk about ensuring that your assets in the mortal realm remain your assets, let alone any question of property disputes. If it pleases you now that your guards are here Mr Marx can make his way back to his own realm and thus no blood is spilled to further complicate what I'm sure must be a very complex situation that you facing vis-a-vis Draconically mandated deeds of possession?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Marky and Martin

Druford frowns at the two of you, "I should have expected such cowardice from a lawyer. The hobo attacked an agent of the Sewer Baron on his own land. He can go, but not here. My guards will show this demon to the Baron, as he asked, but as a prisoner. He will judge. We will discuss business, sir, but I will let GG&S know that you brought someone who must NOT be a preferred security provider, an infernal agent, to a consultation, wherin he assaulted me, unprovoked."

What do you do?

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 24, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

Bows his head in a mea culpa gesture.

"My sincerest apologies. Please know that any sort of insult or assault on your person was the farthest from my thoughts."

He turns to Marky.

"Marky, if you will agree to the baron's justice maybe we can get you off on misdemeanor charges or the Don can arrange some kind of bail. But you don't want to try and fight your way out of here."

Apocron fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 24, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Marky Marx, The Tainted

Mortal* 1 Night* -1 Power 0 Wild 2
Harm: X Faint, 00 Grievous, 00 Critical

Like all vampires, he hits like a little bitch. A big sword and it felt like a punch at best. Didn't even breach my stoneflesh. If he didn't have Martin, I would have killed him and ate him. I'm not even a cannibal, but I would eat this bitch just to piss him off.

They want me to be judged.

I don't like judges. Judges put me in jail for poo poo I never did because of who I was. "He's homeless, he must have done it." Judges never did me good ever.

The sewer baron, however, hates the world above. He's like me. He gets it. This world is meaningless and worthless; all of it, even God, deserve destruction. He will get me.

Or, gently caress, I can just trade his soul for an army of hell for his plans or some poo poo. Not like I can't set it up.

gently caress Martin for getting me into this poo poo. Fucker.

"Like I said, balls in your court. Either this works or I go to hell and wait for you. I have a friend in there, I'm sure I can get alone time to show my graditude." I turn my head to the vampire, "Get this poo poo over with."

Covok fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 24, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

Assuming Druford's goons are in place Martin will release the hold the chains have over Marky's legs and allow Druford's goons to handle bringing him to the Sewer King. Whenever Marky has been led out he turns to Druford. He walks over to his battered briefcase which is lying in the corner and open the locks produces copies of the file detailing Mr Druford's current IRS financial situation.

"If you have somewhere we can sit down then I would love to explain the details of the situation above ground to you. As mentioned previously I have already undertaken on your behalf to pacify the IRS by starting a popular movement under the name of the Church of Versum. They are currently swamping the IRS in busywork which gives us plenty of time to work on whichever option you find most agreeable. In rough outline, the first option is to establish a shell corporation which will hold your assets. You can even claim some property above ground and nominate someone to delegate executive responsibilities. The next option would be that we renew your current paperwork but claim you are your own son. In such an instance we would need to file some paperwork and find or fabricate a suitable corpse for Druford senior. Finally, if you wish we could pay the necessary fines and move the assets on to a third party of your choice."

"When you settle on a course of action I will draft up the necessary documentation for you to fill out. Then we can then draft up the proper paperwork for you to request my firm to aggressively pursue the return of this property that seems to be causing you so much trouble. I'll need to see what evidence you have for the claim and understand exactly how the land came under your ownership, how this was codified, how you lost it, where the codified documents are and any other pertinent information. If you have any kind of archives I would appreciate access and if the firm will be working for you in the meantime it would be good if we could establish a reliable line of communication and ideally some kind of procedure for how I can come here and see you without relying on third parties."

"Finally, if you wish to draft a letter in complaint of the conduct seen this evening then you may dictate it to me. I will write it for you, you may double check it and then seal it as you feel comfortable or I may enchant the envelope for you to guarantee that I or anyone else will not tamper with it. Of course if you wish to visit the offices then I will escort you at whatever time is suitable to you. Once again you have my sincerest apologies and I am indebted to you."

In the backgrounds it says a screwed up operation is worth two debts. I am personally taking blame for Marky's bad temper and believe I saved his life. But of course whatever the MC rules I accept.

I assume I have a debt to Druford now. All I can do is pray this isn't the end of my career at GGS.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Versum

A circle? A Damned containment circle? Who did this hell-bound assassain think he was? The poem worried Versum, but they were not truly afraid. They had been trapped in circles before. Overcoming them was no easy task, but neither was it impossible. With more time, they could've called for help, perhaps, or tricked their captor to give them a chance out. Calling for help might not get here before the poem destroyed their mind, however, and they did not have time for the banter and wit nessecary to trick their opponent. No. Power would have to be the answer. Pure, overpowering force of divine will. They strained their will and their power against the circle itself, against the wall of will and power. They. would. Break. it.

Let it out and beat the circle: 2d6+3 12

As the circle buckled against their will, they stepped out, and, showing themselves and their voice, they raised the arm. "I would have been lenient, given you chance to repent and wash away the blood of your crime, had you helped me. Now, my judgement is harser. If you are so keen on poetry, KEEP SPEAKING THEN! Let no second pass in silence, and let nothing but poetry pass your lips!" As they spoke, they imbued their will with divine wrath and authority. They would regret this later, this perversion of poetry into a tool of murder, but for now, their wrath controlled them. As all gods, they were made of emotion and of stories, and those carried with them dark impulses they, in this moment, did little to resist.
With that, they turned to leave, but before they did so, they spoke again. "If the families and friends of the grieving priest forgives you, I may do so too. I would not rely on your Don for aid or mercy. What he gives you, he will take tenfold once your soul is his - and before."

Let it out and curse a motherfucker: 2d6+3 7

Marking corruption for the second roll.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 24, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cassie the Wolf
Harm: 1/5 Corruption: 2/5 Armor: 0

I ignore him, wincing as I get struck with a psychic sledgehammer. Ok, no, I'm not going to sit here and watch her suffer anymore. Best to put her out of her misery.

Fishing around in my pocket for a moment, I flick open my knife and slash right through her.

unleash attack
!roll 2d6+2
@Capfalcon - Cassie you rolled 6, 3+2 for a total of 11.
Deal an extra harm for three

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Cassie & Jack Chase

The spirit disperses. So far you have not alerted any ghosts. There's still the kitchen, upstairs, and the basement.

What do you do?

---
Martin Beck

Mr. Druford is surprisingly accommodating, he obviously holds the expertise of GGS in high regard. After the paperwork is finished he toys with his letter. "I have been distracted and remiss in my duties. I am not far from the offices, I will give you a bell to call for my guards and I will call on the offices within a fortnight, to be certain these mundane affairs are in order and to make sure my complaint was properly handled. Nevertheless, you owe me a debt, sir, and GGS has also been lax by allowing the unlawful sale of my property. I expect it returned. For all that uncouth fellow offended me, he did remind me of who I am, and I am a gracious gentleman first and foremost," he begins writing a second letter. The first was in a white envelope, this one is in yellow. "The white letter tells the truth of this matter. The yellow claims that I foolishly hired a demon to resolve my legal issues, fearing I had been forsaken by GGS, and when you arrived he turned on me, but you saved my life. If you take the yellow letter, you will owe me a much more substantial debt and I will ask that you give your fullest effort, even beyond the professionalism of your firm, to returning my land to me."

What do you do?

---
Versum

I've been a bit lenient on Let it Out rolls, but you should pick one from the list and flavor it appropriately.
»» Take +1 forward on your next roll
»» Extend your senses, supernatural or otherwise
»» Frighten, intimidate, or impress your opposition
»» Take definite hold of something vulnerable or exposed

I'm going to say you intimidate your opponent. The nature of spoken word poetry is fleeting, without the advanced move and a 12+, or the corruption move from the Oracle, it cannot be permanent. That doesn't mean he knows that or you know that, and he's terrified.

"You say the Don won't help me
But he's always been my Pal
He'll come for you
He'll come for you
He'll break everything you love
The Man wants you out of town"

What do you do?

---
Marky
They replace you magical chains with ones emblazoned with holy symbols. They obviously hate the stuff and handle it with think gloves. But it seems they're prepared for infernal problems. The cover your head and lead you deeper into the underground. You hear skittering, like things are fleeing in their wake. Finally, someone removes your hood. Your standing in something that was once a ballroom. It smells, overwhelmingly, of blood. It's filled with corpses. Some animal, some human. Some are clean picked skeletons, there's a pile in one corner, rotting. In front of you there's great basin of blood. The same creatures that dragged you here are hard at working, butchering them, eating them, and tossing slabs of meat into a pile. A blood soaked man in a leather jacket, he does not look so extraordinary, drags some kind of ornate chair, stained with viscera behind him. He deposits it right in front of you and then crouches on top of it. He twists his head sideways, first one way and then the other, idly gnawing on a human arm. Finally he speaks. His voice is quick, a little high pitched, but also somewhat raspy, like it's coming out of speakers that have seen better days.

"I hear you made a fuss at my bar. Pissed the geezer off. Almost killed 'em. I enjoy violence. I love breaking things. I love broken things. I think you're broken. But... forsaken folk come here looking for protection. I like that. Keeps me company. They only come if that protection means something. Cause they're forsaken. Only works if the people topside, all of them, even Don Marconi, they gotta be absolutely certain that if they start problems with me I will ruin their lives." He cracks open a finger bone and scoops out the marrow, licks it contemplatively, "those are my thoughts at this moment. What are yours?"

What do you do?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Feeling a little bit drained from the attack Jack says,"Sorry lady, but I couldn't let you alert all the other ghosts." Jack brushes himself off and turns to Cassie.

"I'm fine with trying to talk to the ghosts. I was going to try that myself before I saw what she was. I couldn't risk her screaming." He looks around, "so where do you want to go next. I'm sure the ghost in the kitchen will turn out to be a nice grandma preparing borscht, and not a psychopath with a butcher knife. Or we can find out what is going on upstairs."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Versum

Versum saw the man before them. Half of their soul raged with wrath at the audacity of him but they calmed themselves. Their wrath had turned beautiful poetry into a weapon of potentially lethal proportions, but they would not make themselves a perversion of what they were and stood for. Their cooler mind prevailed, and they spoke.

"So you say. But I've seen other demons come and go. The don may be a powerful demon, but seattle has dealt with those before. But i have seen many like you, too, willing to sell soul and life and service for power and money. I have seen what happens to them. The Don cares *nothing* for you, or for any of his disposable tools. in this life, he will use you up and spit you out with the lure of gaudy luxuries, untill nothing remains but a husk addicted to luxury and service, and in the next, he and his superiors will enjoy the screams of your soul for all eternity, drinking your pain and suffering as one does a fine wine." They sighed. This poor man knew already - most like him do - but that would not be enough. "but you will not believe me, not yet. But seek out proof, seek out Ashley Winston or some other oracle, and ask them what happens to men like you. Once you do" and here their divine power entered their voice again The curse will be broken"

With that, the floated towards the wall to leave. They had a church to heal.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cassie the Wolf

I whisper, "Yeah, my friend say you have a bit more of a shoot first, ask questions never sort of approach. But, whatever. Let's go to the kitchen. With any luck, it's our 'Ghost King' and we can wrap this up." Cassie adjusts the knife in her hand so she can actually make the air quotes, then edges over to the door leading to the kitchen and peeks inside.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Cassie & Jack

The ghost butcher is really very stereotypical.

Only strange part is he appears to be continually butchering his own left hand, methodically chopping it into parts and organizing them into bins while the arm grows back. He's got a rather large pile of his own arms built up at this point.

What do you do?

Versum

How do you heal you church?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm: 1/5 Corruption: 2/5 Armor: 0 Foretelling: 0

Holy poo poo, she gave me her gun! I did not see that one coming.

I stare down at the piece in my lap and pick it up with trembling fingers. it's not like I'm unfamiliar with them - - I was raised by religious wackos in a compound and then I joined the army -- but it's been a while since I actually used one. And I've never killed anyone who (probably) didn't have it coming. I stare at Madame Petit as she stares back at me with the familiar glaze of religious zealotry.

gently caress.

I raise the gun, then lower it. "I'm not going to kill you," I say. "Or T-Bone. I'm just not that much of a oval office."

Then I shoot her in the loving knee-cap. "But Let's see you get to the seal with one good leg." Then I turn and rabbit, bouncing briefly off of a stunned T-Bone.

Unleash an attacK: @OKShark (Ashley) you rolled 5, 1+1 for a total of 7. I choose to take one harm in exchange for taking my opponent's ability to ever dance again.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Versum

Leaving the cursed assassin, Versum flew to where his congregation was still gathered in a crowd while EMTs and policemen were handling the body. One among them, Taylor Rawlings, was a skilled poet, and one Versum had inspired before. In her, there was an artist's soul, and she was well liked. She would be their healer and their steward for now. They whispered in her ear, though only her soul heard it.

"Do not let it end. Do not let their sacrifice be in vain. The church of Versum, and all it stands for, it means something. Take up the mantle and conduct the rituals. Gather the others. Let it not be in vain. Say my name in prayer when you need help, and you shall have it."
It would not be all, but it would be enough, for now, to ensure the church would not cumble. Versum would use more time in the coming days to heal and strengthen it. But other things needed doing now.

Doing another persuade the NPC.

With this, they found a phone left carelessly unattended in a bag, as they usually did when they needed to use one. they called Ashley, but got no reply. Typical. Flying to her house revealed she wasn't there, and so Versum began asking every oracle, sorcerer and deadbeat wizard that they knew to find out who knew where she was.

Hitting the streets

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ashley

Escape: @OKShark (Ashley) you rolled 6, 2+1 for a total of 9. Choosing to run into another dangerous situation and owe Cassie a debt.

The reason Versum's call goes to voicemail in this particular case is because Ashley is busy hammering at her phone to try and get ahold of Cassie as she sprints for her bike.

Texting Cassie posted:

Cassie! Need help! I may have committed hate crime! Cops are on their way!

Need a place to lay low, urgent! From pigs and from spooks. I will owe you one. Please?

Then I hop on my bike and begin driving down streets at random as I leave the scene of the crime. The nice thing about being psychic is, my random isn't always random.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Chase
1/5 Harm 0/5 Corruption
Oh great, its one of those ghosts. Mindlessly repeating a task, ignoring the world until you say something. Then they mumble something cryptic so quiet you can barely hear them until you get closer. That's when they turn around and instantly start attacking you. Well, might as well get things started.

He calls out to the ghost, "Uh hello there."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Maxine Wei
Harm / 00 00

"Of course. I'll get it taken care of. Not a problem. Will I need to call you when I finish?" I continue the conversation until there is an appropriate goodbye or any follow-up instructions. I notice about the same time that I've got a message from someone else. Finally getting caught up with the message, I'll return a little text while waiting for my GPS to give me exact directions to my next meal.

Text to Ashley posted:

don't have time for games. people die all the time. what does this have to do with me?

"Who's been passing around my phone number? Someone's warning me not to open anything, like a bomb or some poo poo?" I shrug towards Charlie, who I fully expect to shrug back. "But yeah, you were definitely right about that whole thing. She's pretty weird. I know she knows I've killed before, what do you think's on the note?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Marky Marx, The Tainted

Mortal* 1 Night* -1 Power 0 Wild* 2
Harm: X Faint, 00 Grievous, 00 Critical

This guy is my kind of guy. gently caress, the cannibal thought I had before would probably be beloved by this guy. He's like the Don, hates the establishment and has an air of chaos to him. Why didn't I find this guy on those nights I hide out in the Underground? Would have made a good talking buddy, if he didn't eat me first.

"My thoughts are simple: that guy hosed with me and started poo poo with the guy I was supposed to protect. I used to be bum urchin on the streets and dealt with fuckers like that all the time: rich -- or former rich, in his case -- who they were better than you because they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Assholes who I always wanted to just shoot in the face. Watch them bleed. Look deep in their eyes as they died and see them realize how worthless money is in the grand scheme of things. Laugh about it." I take a moment to rustle in my chains, not violently. "You seem the same way. You're just like the Don and I: you want to watch this whole place burn down. You want to see these pillars and walls shake as all the little cry for help that isn't coming. To topple the pillars of heaven itself." I take a moment to laugh. "Maybe you just like the bloodshed. Maybe you want to see the world through of broken things. Maybe anarchy and chaos would just make it easier to eat people. Or, maybe..." I pause. "You see how important it is to topple this bullshit capitalist slavery we all live under and let the world return to the natural state, as Hobb's intended."

I let my words hang in the air for a bit.

"Why protect some rich vampire prick who'd be loving you over if he wasn't allergic to the sun? Broken? Probably, but also a bitch. Fucker hit me with a sword and it didn't hurt. Bitch is more concerned with money, land, and pride than anything meaningful. You're better than that, man. You're like me: an eat the rich type of guy. Don't be their lapdog, their slave, their servant. That's how they get us, they make us fight each other for their amusement. Stand tall and shake the world till it spills blood. gently caress the rich, gently caress the powerful, gently caress everything: let it all burn."

Kind of lost myself there at the end, but I feel my intention got across.

Persuade An NPC
@Marky Marx you rolled 5, 1+1 for a total of 7.
On a hit, they do what you ask. On a 7-9, they modify the terms or demand a Debt.

Also, I was supposed to mark Wild when I completed a job for my Patron. Doing that belatedly.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cassie the Wolf

I almost jump out of my skin as the phone silently vibrates in my baggy pockets.

Fuckin hell, this better be an emergency.

...And it looks like it might be. gently caress, Ashley, what did you do?

quote:

go 2 43th n cole.
apt 214, ask 4 lee.
tel hm u no me n u nd hlp.
call u l8t.

After responding as fast as I could, I close the phone silently and take up a position behind Jack, ready to spring to help him if this ghost tries anything funny.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

Martin feels exhausted. Ever since he had been in Giger's office he had been working non-stop. Hitting the books, drafting documents, on the streets, in a brawl in these very sewers. And so now he stares at the yellow envelope. It promised safety. A white lie in yellow dressing. What had happened here hadn't really been his fault! How could he possibly explain to his boss that he had brought such an unstable person to one of their clients home? If he brought this letter home with him he would be vindicated. All his hard work would be seen without any sort of tarnish and he would surely be guaranteed the recognition he so desperately wanted.

I'm gonna roll "Keep your cool" because as much as personally I value honesty I know how desperately my character wants to be promoted. So it would be a huge thing for him to turn down the yellow envelope and potentially jeopardise that.

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 7:06 AM
@Apocron - Martin Beck you rolled 6, 4+1 for a total of 11.

No! This was two years in the basements talking! He was already involved in a Faustian deal with the firm. If he were to accept this envelope then where did it end? He would be indebted to each of his clients just so that they would call him a good dog and GGS might throw him a bone. Visibly the struggle is written on Martin's features for a moment before he manages to regain his composure. He begins collecting all the necessary paperwork off the table and sliding it into the briefcase with the bell. He leaves the two envelopes to sit there until last. He pauses before them then looks up into Mr Druford's eyes.

"Mr Druford. You are a man of honour. I know this night started with your character being called into question and in a place like the underground violence often speaks louder than words. But I am surprised and heartened by how we have managed to move from that nightmarish start to the position we stand in now. I think that is because the nature of the man of honour is to overcome the temptation to settle things easily and to resolve to settle things rightly."

Saying this he puts his hand on the white envelope and picks it up holding it to his heart.

"I have made my own mistakes this evening. I wouldn't need violence to settle them, but I would have to take the easier road which would be for me to be dishonest with my employer. Believe me when I say in the same way that Giger, Giger and Smith works with all its might to satisfy it's clients, Giger, Giger and Smith's employees work with all their might to satisfy the company. I will take this letter and bring it to my superior. You need not fear what happens to me because whatever my fate, greater than any debt, Giger, Giger and Smith will pursue its clients best interests so you are in safe hands. But if I am still employed by the time you visit again and I am assigned to your case, then know that I will not deceive you and I will bring the same dedication to your cause as I do with all my work."

Having said his piece, having made his decision, he lets out a breath.

Well time to face the music.

If everything goes smoothly with Druford I will head back to the offices. Hand over the white letter and report my actions delaying the IRS by assisting in starting the Church of Versum, my plan to incorporate the religious body under GGS's stewardship if they will allow me to approach the current leader, how I needed a bodyguard to visit the underground but that the sanctioned Jack Chase wasn't available so I relied on muscle from the Don. how I had offered to file paperwork for Marky for his missing car, how Marky took me to Druford but was unable to control his temper and how Druford and I managed to work out that situation, the necessary action needed to be taken for the IRS motion to be dismissed and Mr Druford's new business regarding property. So the whole truth

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm: 1/5 Corruption: 2/5 Armor: 0 Foretelling: 0

I gasp in relief when i read Cassie's text and burn my way towards the safehouse.

text posted:

Cassie: You are lifesaver! Thank you {heart emoji}!

Then I read Maxine's message. hnnnh. This is going to be more difficult. The problem with being on a mission from God is, when you say it like that, people don't take you seriously.

text posted:

Maxine: I can foresee the future. Don't laugh. I see you, shrouded in blood and darkness, a Naga Queen, and some dumb bitch breaking a seal and unleashing the apocalypse. Again, don't laugh. if you value your life or your business opportunities, don't break, kill, or shatter anything valuable looking until we get a chance to speak.

Here's hoping.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Maxine Wei
Harm / 00 00

I laugh. That's absolutely ridiculous. Even worse when my car reads it in an unnatural tone. I can return the text, now that I'm here.

quote:

go away crazy bitch

"Charlie, you want to wait out here? I won't need the help, but I'm not sure if you'd want my scraps anyways."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ashley Winston
As you dash out of the tent you can hear Petit calling after you through the pain, “The Swords again. Again and again!” T-Bone is startled and slower than you, but he’s following and yelling at the top of his lungs. Other men around the closed-down market quickly respond, jumping on their own motorcycles. You ride ahead of them, making whiplash turns and texting at the same time. When you have an address you rush North, over the freeway. Regardless of any assault charges, high speed motorcycle chases through downtown attract cops. Thankfully, they’re too busy with the disturbance in the Woodland Park area to get the chopper on you right away. As you get in the area they become distracted by the tail end of the chaos. Melinda jumps in to cover you and you’re clear long enough to blast into Lee’s house and drag the motorcycle indoors. Cops and gangsters are both searching for Ashley Winston, who was kind enough to introduce herself to T-Bone and Madame Petit before shooting the fortune teller in the leg during a reading.

You owe Cassie a debt for sheltering you, and you dangerous situation is that you’re now a wanted woman.

End of Session

Cassie and Jack

After a remarkably successful ghost hunting expedition (see discord for details) Jack and Cassie madly flee a collapsing house, an army of angry, triumphant, free ghosts rising up into the sky behind them, glowing with purple energy. Several nastier ghosts swoop down upon them, but Melinda intercepts, batting them aside in a ghostly brawl. Jack hears a whisper in his ear, "unless... I was not the Heir of Spirit after all. Congratulations... my liege."

Jack takes one point of corruption, Cassie owes Melinda a debt.

End of Session

Martin Beck

Mr. Giger the younger accepts your report. He has only one question: “did you have Mr. Anderson killed?” He notes the honest confusion on your face, “I suppose not. The Partners will discuss your performance and we will meet with you, together, in two days. Until then, we suggest you study the unseelie accords.”

You finish the last bit of paperwork with a deep feeling of satisfaction. Even the bodyguard incident wasn’t so bad, right? You handled it with composure, wit, and integrity. And this will more than make up for one small slip up. You are now the representing attorney for the Church of Versum. You, personally. Sure, you belong to the Firm, but this means if they want to use the church they have to use you. That’s ambition. That’s making yourself indisposible. You file the paperwork properly and for the first time in a long time sit down in your tastefully furnished downtown apartment (provided by the Firm) and turn on the TV:

Lori Matsukawa on K5 reports: “Mr. Jamie Anderson is still missing after his home collapsed yesterday. We have confirmation that his wife and son are dead. Police are still investigating possible causes, and are not ruling out foul play. They are not disclosing suspects at this time but do state that there were persons of interest near the scene at the time of the incident… Members of the new “Church of Versum” claim that they will not be intimidated, and have completed their ‘rites’ during an occupation protest. Their church is not officially recognized by the government. This ceremony takes place after the shocking death of their former leader, the suspect of the killing is still at large.”

They cut to an interview, where a young woman with dreadlocks screams in spoken word poetry:

"They
break us
Beat us
Kill us
We stand
We stand
We stand for
VERSUM"

“The protesters believe that anyone representing or protecting the church is a potential target for this deranged killer.”

End of Session

---
Versum
You convince your cult and some of the braver protesters. The gathering is not what it once was, but now there are news cameras. Matyrdom means attention, this is becoming a state wide story. Soon it may hit the national broadcasts.

You look for Ashley, and eventually find her, but she is laying low after a bunch of trouble and pretty distracted.

You can chat it out or save it for next time.

---
Marky Marx

The Sewer Duke listens patiently to your speech, his head tilting further and further until it’s upside down at an impossible angle. With a crack it rights itself, “you are a man of wisdom and eloquence. I like that one part. ‘Eat the rich.’ A good sentiment.” He takes one last bite out of his arm and tosses it away, “What was your net worth now? Oh! Better question! Which limb do you like the least?”

The thugs toss you in the gutter, bleeding. Missing your least favorite limb, or one at random if you didn’t say. The Sewer Baron’s sword, a razor thin bloody thing, cut you well enough. “Baron says you square,” the thing grunts, “you can come back, no trouble. If you think you not square that you fault.”

The Don has a debt to you, if you call on him you can be healed. If not, you have a critical wound and a missing limb and you bleed in this gutter. The rain washes away the blood. No one cares.

End of Session

---
Maxine Wei

Charlie comes: “Much as I enjoy being chauffeured I might as well stretch my legs.” It’s a warehouse, down by the docks. Empty at this time at night, though in a couple of hours the early morning shipments will come in. The door is unlocked, and inside sits a man, gagged and blindfolded, securely strapped to a chair. Next to him there is a knife and a note. The note first gives a series of lines in a language you don’t know. They are handily written out with phonetic markers. Below that there are two lines in English:

I am the Heir of Darkness

With this Sacrifice, I take the Veil from your Eyes

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Maxine Wei
Harm 0 00 00

I told Zhang I'd do whatever it is. Magic or whatever is what it is, but I doubt this would do much anyways. So I read along with the pronunciation guide version of what I'm supposed to say. Some sort of ancient gibberish, definitely nothing close to English or Mandarin. I force the sounds out, just how they look. Then those last two lines.. Well, what is this, some sort of magical clearing spell.

"I am the Heir of Darkness. With this Sacrifice, I take the Veil from your Eyes."

And then, I kill him just like any vampire would a helpless victim. I whisper in his ear for a moment. "Not your lucky day." And then I let out my fangs, diving them quickly into his neck, draining him as dry as I can get him. Not like I have to worry about keeping him alive or anything.

Eternal Hunger:
@TLB - Maxine you rolled 4, 2+2 for a total of 8.
Take heal 1-harm and learn a secret about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Maxine Wei

You learn that he was an exceptionally good man, innocent of drat near any crime. Empty of secrets, and that's near a secret on its own. And then... As you drain him, you start to feel a strange taste in your mouth. You try to pull away, but you can't. An inky foulness floods into you. So much blood. More than should be in a person. It gushes into you. You feel the world shake apart. You see a figure, human but neither man nor woman. Floating in endless dark void. It has marks, where there used to be chains. You feel, now, that his influence can reach into the world, but she is blind, grasping, unable to sense what she is doing. And then you come, bound by your words, and steal the veil from his eyes. Suddenly, the world opens up to her. She can reach, with knowledge and precision, into the world. He is so hungry. So terribly hungry. He reaches to devour, devour the city, devour the world, devour the countless stars of the universe. But she can't. Not yet. His mouth is sewn shut, her form trapped. And then the veil goes unto your eyes. You see nothing anymore. Darkness, darkness is your new world.

You wake up in an old hideout, a run-down apartment building at the south end of Seattle.. Charlie is there, reading a book. You know she's there, but you can't see her. You "know" there's a junky fiending a block away, know a mother is bundling her son for school in the ratty apartment below you. You can't see. But the knowledge of what you could see, and beyond, worms its way into your mind. It could be a blessing, you can apparently see through walls and in total darkness now. But it feels like a curse, bathed in eternal darkness. It feels like when you first turned, like something human inside of you died and a monster crawled inside in its place.

You get +5 corruption

End of session!

• Locked thread