Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The day everyone is looking forward to is here! Right now! Crackle has new video content! Before you get too excited, NewsRadio is gone :smith:

New series:
Happy Endings motherfucker (Season 1)
Frankin and god damned Bash (Season 1)
Charlie's Angels (no, not that one. Not that one either. Yeah, no one cares.) (Season the only one)
Huff (RIP Anton Yelchin) (Season 1)
That's My Mama (Season 1)

New episodes:
Seinfeld (This is a sad-as-gently caress month with only The Letter, The Couch, The Invitations, The Package, and The Voice. Don't be concerned about Seinfeld leaving though, they tried that one month and followed it up by having like 13 eps the next two.)
The Shield (Season 6) Wait wait wait wait wait wait what the gently caress happened to Season 5? God Damnit, Crackle. I'm trying to make you look good here

Categories I don't pay attention to and may have new content:
Anime, Childrens

Movies: I don't always look at this category, so this is more what I'm noticing than what is necessarily new
Undercover Brother
Sheena
The Professional (NOT the Leon cut if you care)
Parker Definitely new, marketed as exclusive
Mystery Men Okay, absolutely cheating here, not new, I watched it twice last month but seriously it's a great movie
Money Train Deffo new
Jack Hunter: And the Lost Treasure of Ugarit
Jack Hunter: The Question for Akhenaten's Tomb
Hulk (Erik Bana) How the hell did that get here?
Double Team (JCVD, Dennis Rodman)
Marvel: Avengers Confidential: Black Widow: Punisher
I'm So Excited Pedro Almodovar, people. I'm telling you there's good stuff here.
Mallrats Okay, so it's not all good
Josie and the Pussycats (Rachel Leigh Cook) But a lot of it is! Don't hate
Orgazmo I don't know if this title is going to be edited or not, I've never really concerned myself with whether or not nudity is kosher on Crackle
Rudo y Cursi
Donnie Brasco This one is not new, it's here all the time, alongside the next one
The Devil's Own
Echoes Cross The Tracks Morgan Freeman-narrated documentary about blues
Meeting Evil This movie sucks
Rumble Fish There's a deep Papa Coppola cut for ya
Oldboy US version don't watch this garbage

There's also some horror and Thriller content, but it's all garbage unless you find nonsense like Insidious entertaining in some way. Oh, I lied, there's Wild Things, so you might see like a boob or Kevin Bacon's schlong. Again, I'm unsure of the nudity situation here.

Crackle: For when you miss the days of the broadcast Saturday-afternoon matinee double-feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Netflix released a new trailer for Stranger Things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9EkMc79ZSU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kaizoku posted:

The day everyone is looking forward to is here! Right now! Crackle has new video content! Before you get too excited, NewsRadio is gone :smith:

New series:

Frankin and god damned Bash (Season 1)

Lol quoting myself because Franklin and Bash is janked the gently caress up on Crackle. Episode 4 "Pro Bono" is the second episode listed, but that's okay because it links to the pilot again instead of the intended episode. I'm really trying to help you out Crackle, you've even got this on the landing page as a featured new addition.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PS Vue updated so it is now available for Android, which may make sense for Android tablets but on phones it is kind of weird because as far as I can tell there's no way to kick it to a Chromecast.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend just hit Netflix.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this? posted:

PS Vue updated so it is now available for Android, which may make sense for Android tablets but on phones it is kind of weird because as far as I can tell there's no way to kick it to a Chromecast.

Android TV is a thing that exists and is really good, despite Google doing its damnedest to pretend it isn't.

Also, you can kick literally anything to a Chromecast from your phone / tablet using the Cast Screen function.

edit: Despite being advertised as "available for Android" and marked as compatible with Android TV, the PSVue app on Android TV refuses to appear in the home screen app listing (you have to go into the Apps listing in the Settings menu to find / open it), and on top of that apparently Sony doesn't consider it a "TV connected device" so I can't use it anyway because despite being able to create a PSN account and sign up for the PSVue trial through their website, apparently I have to create a secondary "profile" using a "TV connected device" such as a PS3/PS4, Roku, or Amazon Fire TV, and the irony that the latter system runs on Android is not lost on me. gently caress you, Sony.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

raditts posted:

Android TV is a thing that exists and is really good, despite Google doing its damnedest to pretend it isn't.

Also, you can kick literally anything to a Chromecast from your phone / tablet using the Cast Screen function.

edit: Despite being advertised as "available for Android" and marked as compatible with Android TV, the PSVue app on Android TV refuses to appear in the home screen app listing (you have to go into the Apps listing in the Settings menu to find / open it), and on top of that apparently Sony doesn't consider it a "TV connected device" so I can't use it anyway because despite being able to create a PSN account and sign up for the PSVue trial through their website, apparently I have to create a secondary "profile" using a "TV connected device" such as a PS3/PS4, Roku, or Amazon Fire TV, and the irony that the latter system runs on Android is not lost on me. gently caress you, Sony.

Yeah the requiring a PS3/4, Roku, or AFTv was really weird. It was the first time I had turned on my PS3 in about a year when I had to finish signing up. Works great on the Amazon Fire TV though!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That CW/Netflix deal closed, Netflix is gonna have CW shows much faster now: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netflix-cw-streaming-licensing-deal-1201808624/

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So... cw shows only get uploaded after the season is done? get hosed :sigh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's cwtv.com! If it works, that is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Limitless both got added to Netflix this week, get on that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I liked the end of Limitless well enough, but it seemed a bit deus ex machina. The resolution seemed too "easy", like it almost feels like they were going for a possible "the ending was just a hallucination / dream" but if they did that I have no idea where the show could have gone for a second season.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

raditts posted:

I liked the end of Limitless well enough, but it seemed a bit deus ex machina. The resolution seemed too "easy", like it almost feels like they were going for a possible "the ending was just a hallucination / dream" but if they did that I have no idea where the show could have gone for a second season.

Anywhere. No one worried about what the next season of Psych had in store for the greater plot, it was just fun. I felt the exact same way about Limitless.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The plot of Psych didn't hinge on Shawn requiring a magic pill to continue being a fake psychic, or a magic shot to keep the magic pill from rotting his brain.
That's what I'm talking about, it seemed like the ending where they catch Sands' operation totally unawares and handily defeat him, followed by Piper suddenly showing up with a needle full of deus ex machina was a bit tacked on and convenient for happy ending purposes, and it felt like that either only happened because the show was ending or was intended to be Brian's Swiss cheesed brain fantasizing about how he wanted things to go.
I'm wondering if / how the plot would have continued if Brian had to muddle on without that, although presumably they'd have to reset the status quo eventually.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 7, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

raditts posted:

The plot of Psych didn't hinge on Shawn requiring a magic pill to continue being a fake psychic, or a magic shot to keep the magic pill from rotting his brain.
That's what I'm talking about, it seemed like the ending where they catch Sands' operation totally unawares and handily defeat him, followed by Piper suddenly showing up with a needle full of deus ex machina was a bit tacked on and convenient for happy ending purposes, and it felt like that either only happened because the show was ending or was intended to be Brian's Swiss cheesed brain fantasizing about how he wanted things to go.
I'm wondering if / how the plot would have continued if Brian had to muddle on without that, although presumably they'd have to reset the status quo eventually.

I didn't see it as anything more than Shaun's needing to be a 'psychic,' or videos of Mary from beyond the grave. I guess I just wasn't as concerned with the overarcing plot, and really just liked watching the bruntouchables fighting crime from their hq (not really a spoiler, but it could take some of the fun away from people just starting the series)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Back before it got canceled and looked like it was still going to be renewed the showrunner basically said that he was going to try and make it so that each season would have its own story arc. So in season 2 they would be introducing a whole new thing for Brian to deal with that didn't necessarily involve Eddie Morra.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hulu has gotten rid of the queue, and I'm angry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aren't they replacing it with something else?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Aren't they replacing it with something else?

Watchlist, but it didn't carry over all of my shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still have my Hulu queue on the computer. I ditched Plus because I didn't like the tablet interface.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the most annoying thing about PS Vue service is how it serves up reruns on the DVR. Instead of listing things by recent airdate it instead lists everything by original airdate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

God drat. The Hulu Queue disappeared now. There goes any idea I had of stuff I wanted to watch and episodes I'm not caught up on. God drat. Why did Hulu get rid of the best part of its service?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stranger Things seems alright so far, it's basically just Every 80s Movie from the first episode and hasn't quite grabbed me yet.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

wow episode 3 was pretty amazing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Penny Dreadful has been added to Netflix.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Question for any int'l Netflix users. I'm moving from the states to Finland next month, and am wondering if the Netflix I have there will have all the Netflix owned content (their TV shows and movies). I know a lot of other content won't be available, but I figured Netflix series stuff would be available for any region?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not global. Netflix doesn't have the streaming rights to House of Cards in many other countries like Germany and Switzerland. I think House of Cards just aired on regular TV in Germany.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Interesting. I guess I'll wait and see what we have access to before deciding to cancel or not.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Do any of the non-Amazon streaming services have TV shows permanently?

I have Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping since I buy just about everything but groceries from them, and ended up trying the streaming out to watch NYPD Blue.

Literally half-way into this 14 season show, suddenly there was a notice - "Oh hey, this is leaving Prime soon"

I lucked out that I have DirecTV and stumbled across the fact that they've been redoing NYPD in HD and showing them on Audience, and they were only 1 season behind me so I only had to wait a month or 2 after Amazon removed the show to get right back into it, although now I have to wait for a new episode once a day during the weekdays.

I don't get the point of paying for a streaming service if they're just going to pull the rug out from underneath you in the middle of a show.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Boosted_C5 posted:

Do any of the non-Amazon streaming services have TV shows permanently?

I have Amazon Prime for the free 2-day shipping since I buy just about everything but groceries from them, and ended up trying the streaming out to watch NYPD Blue.

Literally half-way into this 14 season show, suddenly there was a notice - "Oh hey, this is leaving Prime soon"

I lucked out that I have DirecTV and stumbled across the fact that they've been redoing NYPD in HD and showing them on Audience, and they were only 1 season behind me so I only had to wait a month or 2 after Amazon removed the show to get right back into it, although now I have to wait for a new episode once a day during the weekdays.

I don't get the point of paying for a streaming service if they're just going to pull the rug out from underneath you in the middle of a show.

Contracts are contracts, and it isn't Amazon's fault you didn't start watching till now. That said its all highly variable; I use https://www.justwatch.com/us for hulu/netflix and to see what new movies are on HBO for the month. You can also search for a show to see if/where it is streaming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

With the nature of streaming services pretty much the only time when they will have a show forever is when the service produces the program itself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Streaming rights are kinda stupid. The best example I can think of was Community on Yahoo! Screen, where Hulu still had the rights to the first five seasons so they had to put up this message essentially advertising Hulu for people that wanted to watch those seasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey, Netflix is going to have the new Star Trek one day after release for international audiences, which I can only assume means we dirty pathetic cretins in the US will still be forced to use CBS All Access like animals.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone got a list of the 188 markets? It'd be neat to know we'll get it on Netflix in the UK. :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't have a list but looking through UK news sources they're saying the UK is included.

Also, apparently Canada gets to suffer through CBS All Access along with the US, joy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Actually, Canada will be using Crave to watch the new Star Trek, which is run by one of the cable companies up there.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Star Trek may boldly go where no man has gone before but I sure as gently caress won't go to CBS.

(lIMITLESS forever)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there anything that says where you get your Hulu feed from? When I watch shows from ABC we get our local station but Fox is one I don't recognize or Chicago.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Is there anything that says where you get your Hulu feed from? When I watch shows from ABC we get our local station but Fox is one I don't recognize or Chicago.

It's probably geosynced to location based on contracts, for a while there I thought KOMO might have been the ABC flagship but no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
:britain: :britain: :britain: Britstreaming :britain: :britain: :britain:

All of the below are free to watch but will need geoblocking bypass for the rest of the world. Those that requiring you to sign up for a free account will require a valid postcode.

There's the The Great British programme discussion thread for discussing whats to watch.

- - - - - - - - - -

BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer.

The British broadcaster that most people will be familiar with, and they produce a bit of everything. By far the slickest interface although they do budget on the bandwidth slightly so it's not up to the quality of Netflix. Channel live streaming plus 30 day catch-up.

Do watch: Rigth now, 'New Zealand: Earth's Mythical Islands' otherwise random documentaries on BBC4
Don't watch: Eastenders. It'll show up on Most Popular but the masses have a taste for crap soaps.

- - - - - - - - - -

ITV Hub http://www.itv.com/hub/itv

The UK's second oldest, and first commerical, TV network. Once the source of some decent content, it's now too often a cesspit of moronic TV – so mostly soaps and reality shows. They take the blame for giving the world Simon Cowel and Downton Abbey. They have recently attempted to get back to respected dramas and documentaries but it's not gone well –the drama has been underwritten and poorly produced while their reputation keeps away those that might watch the docs, Channels live stream plus 30 day catch-up (plus a small amount of long-term Boxsets). Will need to register for a free account.

Do watch: anything with Ray Mears in the title..
Don't watch: anything with Jeremy Kyle in the title.

- - - - - - - - - -

STV Player http://www.stv.tv/

ITV started off as a larger number of geographical franchises who shared making content between themselves. They've merged down in to the dominant ITV while the Scottish parts have become STV. Most of their content is from ITV, with just a small amount of regional opt-out. So there isn't much unique content on STV Player.

Do Watch: anything featuring Tom Weir. What's the point of subjecting yourself to lower budget regional TV if it's not to enjoy their eccentrics?
Don't watch: Take the High Road - 80's provincial soap opera...

- - - - - - - - - -

Channel4 . http://www.channel4.com

State-owned but commercially operated. Tries to sell itself as the boundary-pushing network at the forefront of social change. That used to mean being the first to show a lesbian kiss on UK TV, now it means a blind date show in which everyone gets naked and the best penis is discussed. Gennerally they show a mix of original content and imports. Navigation of their website can be downright confusing, and it has a habit of breaking after showing the adverts so you have to rewatch the adverts. 30 day catchup plus a lot of indefinite boxsets. Some content needs a free account signup.

Do watch: Skins, Shameless, Utopia, Black Mirror, This is England 86/88/90, Queer as Folk, Peep Show, Fresh Meat, The It Crowd, Father Ted, Spaced, Toast of London, Nathan Barley, Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, Brass Eye, Humans, Black Books, ....
Don't watch: Made in Chelsea. One of those "structured-reality television" shows, faking the lives of toffs.

- - - - - - - - - -

Channel 5 http://www.channel5.com/

Almost exclusively imports and some cheap home-brew reality shows.

Do watch: I'm struggling. Police Interceptors for a taste of real Britain.
Don't watch: Most of it.

- - - - - - - - - -

UKTV Play http://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk

Originally a collection of satellite channels that just broadcast the back catalogue of the BBC/ITV/C4, but these days they do some of their own content.

Do watch: Taskmaster - comedians set tricky tasks
Don't watch: most Haunted - Ghosts aren't real...

- - - - - - - - - -

S4C http://www.s4c.cymru/en/.
Niche broadcaster of welsh language content made on a low budget

Do Watch: Probably best to start with the children's programmes....
Don't watch: Anything that shows up under the Drama category.

- - - - - - - - - -

Others:
FilmOn, and TVCatchup - two services which restream broadcast channels and so far have avoided legal banhammers...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 6, 2016

• Locked thread