Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Pablo Bluth posted:

:britain: :britain: :britain: Britstreaming :britain: :britain: :britain:

All of the below are free to watch but will need geoblocking bypass for the rest of the world. Those that requiring you to sign up for a free account will require a valid postcode.

Is 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps streaming on any of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu is ending it's free streaming. They are teaming up with Yahoo to put out the last five episodes of ABC, NBC and Fox shows 8 days after they air.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo, what?

e: put that poo poo in the OP, wow

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 8, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Where am I going to stream Alfred Hitchcock Presents now? :negative:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazon Pilots are up!

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=9940930011

The Tick
In a world where superheroes have been real for decades, an accountant with mental health issues and zero powers comes to realize his city is owned by a global super villain long-thought dead. As he struggles to uncover this conspiracy, he falls in league with a strange blue superhero, who may or may not be a figment of his own imagination…
Starring: Peter Serafinowicz, Griffin Newman, Valorie Curry

I Love Dick
Adapted from the lauded feminist novel, I LOVE DICK is set in a colorful academic community in Marfa, Texas. It tells the story of a struggling married couple, Chris and Sylvere, and their obsession with a charismatic professor named Dick. Told in Rashomon-style shifts of POV, I LOVE DICK charts the unraveling of a marriage, the awakening of an artist and the deification of a reluctant messiah.
Starring: Kevin Bacon, Kathryn Hahn, Griffin Dunne

Jean Claude Van Johnson
JEAN-CLAUDE VAN JOHNSON stars global martial arts & film sensation Jean-Claude Van Damme playing "Jean-Claude Van Damme", a global martial arts & film sensation, also operating under the simple alias of "Johnson" as the world's best undercover private contractor. Retired for years, a chance encounter with a lost love brings him back to the game. This time, he'll be deadlier than ever. Probably.
Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Kat Foster, Phylicia Rashad

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am completely in for the new Tick series. I love this version and the Edlund dialogue is just as insane as ever,

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Hulu is ending it's free streaming. They are teaming up with Yahoo to put out the last five episodes of ABC, NBC and Fox shows 8 days after they air.

CW and CBS stuff is gonna be on Seed and All Access, I assume?

Pablo Bluth posted:

:britain: :britain: :britain: Britstreaming :britain: :britain: :britain:

All of the below are free to watch but will need geoblocking bypass for the rest of the world. Those that requiring you to sign up for a free account will require a valid postcode.

There's the The Great British programme discussion thread for discussing whats to watch.

- - - - - - - - - -

BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer.

The British broadcaster that most people will be familiar with, and they produce a bit of everything. By far the slickest interface although they do budget on the bandwidth slightly so it's not up to the quality of Netflix. Channel live streaming plus 30 day catch-up.

Do watch: Rigth now, 'New Zealand: Earth's Mythical Islands' otherwise random documentaries on BBC4
Don't watch: Eastenders. It'll show up on Most Popular but the masses have a taste for crap soaps.

- - - - - - - - - -

ITV Hub http://www.itv.com/hub/itv

The UK's second oldest, and first commerical, TV network. Once the source of some decent content, it's now too often a cesspit of moronic TV – so mostly soaps and reality shows. They take the blame for giving the world Simon Cowel and Downton Abbey. They have recently attempted to get back to respected dramas and documentaries but it's not gone well –the drama has been underwritten and poorly produced while their reputation keeps away those that might watch the docs, Channels live stream plus 30 day catch-up (plus a small amount of long-term Boxsets). Will need to register for a free account.

Do watch: anything with Ray Mears in the title..
Don't watch: anything with Jeremy Kyle in the title.

- - - - - - - - - -

STV Player http://www.stv.tv/

ITV started off as a larger number of geographical franchises who shared making content between themselves. They've merged down in to the dominant ITV while the Scottish parts have become STV. Most of their content is from ITV, with just a small amount of regional opt-out. So there isn't much unique content on STV Player.

Do Watch: anything featuring Tom Weir. What's the point of subjecting yourself to lower budget regional TV if it's not to enjoy their eccentrics?
Don't watch: Take the High Road - 80's provincial soap opera...

- - - - - - - - - -

Channel4 . http://www.channel4.com

State-owned but commercially operated. Tries to sell itself as the boundary-pushing network at the forefront of social change. That used to mean being the first to show a lesbian kiss on UK TV, now it means a blind date show in which everyone gets naked and the best penis is discussed. Gennerally they show a mix of original content and imports. Navigation of their website can be downright confusing, and it has a habit of breaking after showing the adverts so you have to rewatch the adverts. 30 day catchup plus a lot of indefinite boxsets. Some content needs a free account signup.

Do watch: Skins, Shameless, Utopia, Black Mirror, This is England 86/88/90, Queer as Folk, Peep Show, Fresh Meat, The It Crowd, Father Ted, Spaced, Toast of London, Nathan Barley, Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, Brass Eye, Humans, Black Books, ....
Don't watch: Made in Chelsea. One of those "structured-reality television" shows, faking the lives of toffs.

- - - - - - - - - -

Channel 5 http://www.channel5.com/

Almost exclusively imports and some cheap home-brew reality shows.

Do watch: I'm struggling. Police Interceptors for a taste of real Britain.
Don't watch: Most of it.

- - - - - - - - - -

UKTV Play http://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk

Originally a collection of satellite channels that just broadcast the back catalogue of the BBC/ITV/C4, but these days they do some of their own content.

Do watch: Taskmaster - comedians set tricky tasks
Don't watch: most Haunted - Ghosts aren't real...

- - - - - - - - - -

S4C http://www.s4c.cymru/en/.
Niche broadcaster of welsh language content made on a low budget

Do Watch: Probably best to start with the children's programmes....
Don't watch: Anything that shows up under the Drama category.

- - - - - - - - - -

Others:
FilmOn, and TVCatchup - two services which restream broadcast channels and so far have avoided legal banhammers...
You forgot Now TV, Curzon and Wuaki, the latter 2 of which I have never heard of anyone using, to be fair, but the former is actually competitive with Netflix and Amazon.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

X-O posted:

Amazon Pilots are up!

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=9940930011

The Tick
In a world where superheroes have been real for decades, an accountant with mental health issues and zero powers comes to realize his city is owned by a global super villain long-thought dead. As he struggles to uncover this conspiracy, he falls in league with a strange blue superhero, who may or may not be a figment of his own imagination…
Starring: Peter Serafinowicz, Griffin Newman, Valorie Curry

I Love Dick
Adapted from the lauded feminist novel, I LOVE DICK is set in a colorful academic community in Marfa, Texas. It tells the story of a struggling married couple, Chris and Sylvere, and their obsession with a charismatic professor named Dick. Told in Rashomon-style shifts of POV, I LOVE DICK charts the unraveling of a marriage, the awakening of an artist and the deification of a reluctant messiah.
Starring: Kevin Bacon, Kathryn Hahn, Griffin Dunne

Jean Claude Van Johnson
JEAN-CLAUDE VAN JOHNSON stars global martial arts & film sensation Jean-Claude Van Damme playing "Jean-Claude Van Damme", a global martial arts & film sensation, also operating under the simple alias of "Johnson" as the world's best undercover private contractor. Retired for years, a chance encounter with a lost love brings him back to the game. This time, he'll be deadlier than ever. Probably.
Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Kat Foster, Phylicia Rashad

"I love you Tom Sawyer."
"Oh, Huck..."
----
"He spinning-back-wheel-kicked his way into my heart"
----
"Noooo! One at a time, or you could run into each other. It could get confusing!"

JCVJ is kinda funny, but I think they spent too much time making it quotable, rather than good. I do like how he doesn't take himself seriously.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 20, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Tick pilot was fun. Jackie Earl Haley as The Terror was suitably creepy. Also from the credits it was kind of interesting to see that Patrick Warburton and Jackson Publick (under his real name of Christopher McCulloch) were both producers.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
30 for 30's O.J.: Made in America is now on Hulu, not Netflix, which 30 for 30s usually go on.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
loving CBS.

quote:

“We’re toying with the idea of a commercial free option and how we might roll that out to consumers,” Marc DeBevoise, president of CBS Interactive said Wednesday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

DeBevoise spoke about CBS’ plans for its streaming service, which was introduced in 2014 and charges $6 a month for access to current CBS series, live streaming of local CBS stations and access to CBS library content. Current series viewing includes advertisements. CBS executives have spoken previously in public about the possibility of an ad-free version of All Access.

The first All Access original series, a new version of longtime CBS reality series “Big Brother,” will premiere on the service this fall, with more originals — including “Star Trek: Discovery” and a spinoff of “The Good Wife” — following next year.

Those original series will feature advertisements, DeBevoise said, but “the commercial load is a limited commercial load.” It will be roughly 25% lighter than the ad load for broadcast, or around 12 minutes per hour.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jesus Christ

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the live streaming thing isn't for everywhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Netflix should be sending these people thank-you notes.

EDIT: Oh God loving 12 MINUTES PER HOUR. Has anyone counted Hulu's ad load, because I'm almost certain it's less than that.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 25, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Netflix should be sending these people thank-you notes.

EDIT: Oh God loving 12 MINUTES PER HOUR. Has anyone counted Hulu's ad load, because I'm almost certain it's less than that.

No, but i've watched plenty of 44-47minute long "hours" of TV. That's 12 vs 13 - 16, not a notable difference from broadcast. Unless you're comparing to local news, i guess.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

No, but i've watched plenty of 44-47minute long "hours" of TV. That's 12 vs 13 - 16, not a notable difference from broadcast. Unless you're comparing to local news, i guess.

Hour long shows these days are 40 minutes. 12 minutes an hour is 8 minutes an hour less that TV, i'd call that a noticeable difference.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wandle Cax posted:

Hour long shows these days are 40 minutes. 12 minutes an hour is 8 minutes an hour less that TV, i'd call that a noticeable difference.

I guess I watch different shows, then, because looking over the episodes of things I do watch paints a picture of 42-45 minutes with most being 43 and some change. So, my numbers were a bit off, but still not 40. Most of what I watch isn't broadcast, but Person of Interest was.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, hour long standards are 42 minutes. I think that usually includes credits.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
As someone who didn't grow up with a tv I don't understand why people find the >5 minutes of ads on Hulu/other services intolerable compared to the 18-20 freaking minutes on tv.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kraps posted:

As someone who didn't grow up with a tv I don't understand why people find the >5 minutes of ads on Hulu/other services intolerable compared to the 18-20 freaking minutes on tv.

I kinda like those, it reminds me to pause and take a break.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Kraps posted:

I'm not paying $8/month to watch commercials.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kraps posted:

People want their thing and they want it now. Add to this taking something that is traditionally free (OTA TV) and adding a charge sours them. Some people are just angry that it's the same ad on repeat (often a 3 minute break of two 15 second ads on some services). Others aren't going to be happy until they've got the audio file in flac served alongside .srts for every language because that's what technology is for right? The ad industry will always have opponents, but I'll take the ads from hulu, youtube, and crackle over the ads served by websites and (other than hulu/crackle/et al) mobile software. A video you can't skip is still better than a popup you're forced to dismiss, if you're youtube and the video can be dismissed after 5 seconds all the better.

Edit:

raditts posted:

I don't know if this is intentional on your part, but this is awfully condescending toward the totally valid stance that you shouldn't have to sit through a shitload of ads when you're already paying a premium.

I wrote this with way too much haste, and I agree with raditts that it came off condescending.

There is a wide melange of reasons and validities thereof, that was the only intent to that. To elaborate, there's nothing wrong with wanting a thing, there's nothing wrong with wanting it now. There's nothing wrong with wanting more accessibility features, which is what things like .flac and .srts would facilitate (or really, plenty of other standards.) There is nothing wrong with hating the same message on repeat--it's the exact same reason I don't listen to Top 40 radio. We all watch TV differently with different expectations of the experience--but we do all watch it for primarily entertainment purposes. There's no right-or-wrong way to be entertained, and if those stated issues are shared by you it's a totally valid complaint. You expect entertainment, and there's something negatively affecting your ability to attain it. Now you're being asked to 'pay for the privilege,' when it was barely tolerable to you free. It's just as much your entertainment as it is any other viewers, and none of these stances are ill-informed or indefensible.

Iron Crowned posted:

I kinda like those, it reminds me to pause and take a break.

I think a lot of people must not watch tv with others anymore, because it is so much nicer to have sensible commercial breaks for group watching as opposed to asking everyone to pause while you use the restroom/grab a beverage/do whatever you gotta do, first because the content is formatted for the pause, and second because it offers opportunity to converse. I'm more impressed by the ability to pause live TV, using it at the end of commercial breaks for a good conversation than anything else. (That, by the way, has been a failing of some online content portals--let me pause your ads. There's no good reason to be opposed to this.)

Edit: I watch TV socially because there aren't a ton of social activities that can fit into my schedule that don't raise health concerns, not because TV is meant to be shared or not a worthwhile solitary endeavor. I don't think this part was condescending on its own, but paired with the other I figured it probably best to explain a bit more.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 30, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kaizoku posted:

People want their thing and they want it now. Add to this taking something that is traditionally free (OTA TV) and adding a charge sours them. Some people are just angry that it's the same ad on repeat (often a 3 minute break of two 15 second ads on some services). Others aren't going to be happy until they've got the audio file in flac served alongside .srts for every language because that's what technology is for right? The ad industry will always have opponents, but I'll take the ads from hulu, youtube, and crackle over the ads served by websites and (other than hulu/crackle/et al) mobile software. A video you can't skip is still better than a popup you're forced to dismiss, if you're youtube and the video can be dismissed after 5 seconds all the better.

I don't know if this is intentional on your part, but this is awfully condescending toward the totally valid stance that you shouldn't have to sit through a shitload of ads when you're already paying a premium.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have discovered that Yahoo! View is tethered to your Hulu account, so I can still keep track of the episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents I've watched.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CW has announced that in America they're going to be putting all new episodes of their shows on their app. Which is nice seeing as they don't have a during air streaming partner anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And now they've actually updated their Android app with actual Chromecast support. The only downside I've noticed is that it's pretty bad about actually ending a stream. I had to start a different program to get it to stop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm not paying $8/month to watch commercials.

If you've ever had cable you paid more than that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really weird thing about the CW app is their commercial breaks don't quite line up all along. I've noticed on this week's Flash and Arrow that when it comes back from a break the very end of the sting plays.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

X-O posted:

If you've ever had cable you paid more than that.

If you have cable you don't have to wait a day or more after a show airs to watch it.

spooky like this! posted:

A really weird thing about the CW app is their commercial breaks don't quite line up all along. I've noticed on this week's Flash and Arrow that when it comes back from a break the very end of the sting plays.

It does that sometimes on the web version too. I think they just cut shows a second or two off sometimes.

What does "all new episodes" mean though? They've always put new episodes up the next day, at least as long as I've been watching shows on it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 23, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
All the 30 for 30s left Netflix. Is there another place I can stream it?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/30-for-30

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Curse them, that's lame.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

I had hoped the answer wasn't 'no'.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Turns out I couldn't stand it anymore and am spoiled so I bought the no-ads for Hulu. Good deal.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
BritBox, an American streaming service co-owned by the BBC and ITV, has launched. I'm on my phone, so I can't see if it has Doctor Who on it, the first reason I'd get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

all-Rush mixtape posted:

BritBox, an American streaming service co-owned by the BBC and ITV, has launched.

So that's why they suddenly became very concerned with stopping VPNs on iPlayer and Netflix about a year ago.

• Locked thread