Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw, yer commentators didn't notice the oddity of the blood coming from the blood-starved beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You can still actually talk to Gatling Guy at this point. Seeing Paarl resets Djura's aggro the first time, and then as long as you don't come from the front you can be friends, which includes warping in to the Church of the Good Chalice bonfire and doing the second half of the level backwards.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

You can still actually talk to Gatling Guy at this point. Seeing Paarl resets Djura's aggro the first time, and then as long as you don't come from the front you can be friends, which includes warping in to the Church of the Good Chalice bonfire and doing the second half of the level backwards.

I actually didn't know that about Paarl. I'm a bit too late for Bleaksol, but I'm planning on trying my hardest to talk to him as Kevin.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE!:

Episode 6: The One in Which I Get Owned

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I love how, according to the co-commentators, Sir Bleaksol is now a Vampire Werewolf Cthulhu hybrid.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's interesting how the co-commentators think the woman npc is a werewolf, considering how she comments on how you smell. If you guys had been paying attention, EVERYONE detects you by smell. Gascoigne rants about blood smelling. The Church warden, he talks about how he missed you because the incense masks your scent, the mistrustful man talks about how he can't stand the smell of your breath. The people of Yarnham, for some reason, are either naturally, or ritually, blind. Smell is their primary sense.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 13, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
That's not music you are hearing in Yahar'gul but chanting of a very ominous sort.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's a pretty easy way to tell if a piece of clothing will work for the Nun or not, it's based on the healing shawl. Any article of clothing from a set in which the chest-piece has the holy shawl will work, which is why Gascoigne's work but most other hunter based sets don't. It also might just be chest pieces but I cannot remember, although seeing as you're wearing Gascoigne's hat it probably is just chest pieces.

Also you might want to bring up that you don't drink blood at all, the vials are pressure injectors you slam against your leg and the idea behind rally regain is you bathe in the blood and it seeps in through your wounds. It's all kind of medical to be honest. I hope you revisit Yahar'Gul soon as there's stuff you can do there to make a later section far less stupid.

On Kidnappers my preferred method of fighting them is get them down to the transformation point and then back-stab visceral, as that will usually kill them. With your build that might not be the case and eventually you'll probably want to just charged heavy attack staggered foes, as visceral attacks scale off skill not strength.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Samovar posted:

It's interesting how the co-commentators think the woman npc is a werewolf, considering how she comments on how you smell. If you guys had been paying attention, EVERYONE detects you by smell. Gascoigne rants about blood smelling. The Church warden, he talks about how he missed you because the incense masks your scent, the mistrustful man talks about how he can't stand the smell of your breath. The people of Yarnham, for some reason, are either naturally, or ritually, blind. Smell is their primary sense.

I mean, that's a theory that's out there, but I wouldn't state it as fact like that. There are plenty of hints otherwise like written messages, the existence of torches, our friend with the gatling gun who fires from long range based on line of sight... The prevalence of blindfolds does suggest some relevance of blindness, but it's not just that all Yharnamites are blind.

EDIT: Oh, actually. The mistrustful guy literally says "beware the blind man" in this very video, referring to the Cathedral Guy. That pretty much wipes the theory out entirely, since it suggests that blindness is not only not the norm, it's out of the ordinary enough to be a somewhat unique descriptor.

Jalathas fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 14, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Hunters probably have a unique scent compared to the typical person, if someone comes along who reeks of blood then its probably a hunter.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Judge Tesla posted:

Hunters probably have a unique scent compared to the typical person, if someone comes along who reeks of blood then its probably a hunter.
She says your scent is better than those of "blood and beasts". Implying that it's different.

Sweet and Awful
Oct 26, 2013
Is Kevin going to show off the "correct" NPC storylines? Also don't think you've ever showed your co-commentators the Insight description. Which especially has relevance now that they've seen the first umbilical cord. I don't think you particularly used much either. Wondering when the "reveal" is going to come.

I always assumed the smelling comes from the healing blood heightening senses, and the hunters smell strange because of either not being fully beast yet or something having to do with the Dream.

Regardless, I've been enjoying this so far, Kobuddy!

Sweet and Awful fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 14, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Kevin is already sending everyone to Oedon, and things are all fine and dandy. I want to show off the whole Adella murdering Arianna thing too, but I'm not sure how yet. As for the reveal, well, let's just say I'm pretty drat close to it.

Just so this post isn't completely in spoilers, I'm gonna take a suggestion from Shlapintogan and putting together a bestiary based on what Dvac and Compufreak think the enemies are.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 7: Reindeer and Cthulhus

Apologies for the slight delay. I got a bit distracted by EVO over the weekend.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, at least vampires can take a bath.

Even if it is in the blood of virgins.

Edit: Can I also say, the music for Amelia is probably one of my favorite pieces in the game?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 18, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
With all the oldschool horror monsters in this game, I'm honestly surprised there isn't a homage to Scooby-Doo in here.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Specifically the Church Giant's knee pops out of his skin and he has to shove it back in. Interestingly Henryk might be Gascoigne's father in law as well as Hunting Partner, as the young girl makes mention of a mother, a father and a grandfather, so he's either literally related or a very close family friend and the literal relationship makes more sense to me. Would certainly explain how Gascoigne met Viola, if she's the daughter of his Hunting Partner/Trainer.

Vicar Amelia is absolutely one of the road-block fights, and particularly interesting is she's very much shaped like a Cleric Beast. I'm of the opinion that like the female/male beast patients are the same sort of transformation Vicar Amelia and the Cleric Beast are the same thing but different genders of it.

Now we learn that Laurence had one goddamn job and failed, nobody fears the Old Blood in Yharnam. They revel in it. Time-line wise that memory is probably about 100-200 years ago, at least in my opinion. Based on how many generations of Hunters there's been in Yharnam. We've met members of about 3 so far; Djura, Eileen and Henryk are from one, Gascoigne and Alfred are from the next and you're from the latest. We've heard of another generation, Ludwig.

I hope you do the DLC at least before the Workshop burns because there's some dialogue you can't get at that time, and it gives some very interesting information about some of the bosses.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 19, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I hope you do the DLC at least before the Workshop burns because there's some dialogue you can't get at that time, and it gives some very interesting information about some of the bosses.

I'm still debating how I want to handle the DLC, to be honest. There's an idea I have that I'm kicking around, that I'm not going to spoil, but the DLC won't come up for a while anyway.

Additionally, Compufreak and Dvac's Bestiary is now up on the second post, so, if you ever wonder what their conclusions on certain Bloodborne enemies are, there you go.

Sweet and Awful
Oct 26, 2013
It's of my opinion that Vicar Amelia is more of a feral jackalope mummy lord.

Do you plan on showing off any of the other weapons?

Also, some interesting facts about the Bloodstarved Beast: In the church where you clear out the room by setting something on fire with a chandelier, there is a Bloodstarved Beast flayed and hanging from the ceiling (I think it was the thing you set on fire?) Next is that if you throw a pungent blood cocktail at it, the beast will start attacking in that direction. IIRC, that causes the next poison stage to happen sooner.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Sweet and Awful posted:

Do you plan on showing off any of the other weapons?

Some, yeah. I don't plan on showing off EVERY weapon in the game, (partially because with some of them, neither Kevin nor Bleaksol would have the stats to wield them, so unless I grind for a while to bump my stats up, it wouldn't be possible.) but I have plans for both Bleaksol and Kevin for where their builds are going, and they don't involve sticking with the weapons they're currently using. The DLC in particular has some weapons that I plan on sticking on the both of them, because goddamn they're fun.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 8: Thread, What's Your Favorite X?

Also I was entirely wrong and the hiccups were totally on the raw recording.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kobuddy posted:

UPDATE:

Episode 8: Thread, What's Your Favorite X?

Also I was entirely wrong and the hiccups were totally on the raw recording.
My favorite X is X1999.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My favorite Tim Burton movie is Big Fish, because it is his least Tim-Burton film.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So here's my thoughts on Djura, as you can learn from specific dialogue he once dreamt of the Hunter's Dream. So I reckon he did your job on the night of the Burning, by leading the Powder Kegs into Old Yharnam for a reason revealed in the DLC.

However that night was a horror show from start to end, and afterwards Djura can't bring himself to hunt any more beasts after putting Old Yharnam and it's people to the Torch. Thus he watches over something he believes to have been his fault, he protects the beasts of Old Yharnam along-side his ally so that no one else will hurt those he's already traumatised.

On that note you should buy Djura's clothing and show it off, it's pretty good looking. Also at the end there you sadly missed some dialogue, as the woman there talks about the Witches Abode if you go during sunset. Also the name is amusing, because much like Hypogean Gaol is literally underground jail, I'm pretty sure Charnel Lane is literally "place where bones are stored" Street.

Finally my favourite horror game is specific parts of Bloodborne, and my favourite Tim Burton movie is Nightmare before Christmas.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 25, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I do gotta say, I love the bestiary. DVac and Compufreak make the best backstories.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

New scientific measurement in the Yharnam Medical Manual.

Someone gets stabbed a little over a thousand times. They are said to have received a dogful of knives.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 9: The Highschool AU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

vwoop

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It may not be how you make bacon, but it sure is how you get chitlins!

Edit: Those faux-witches weren't trying to re-enact Marathon Man, thet're trying to re-enact Un Chien Andalou.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 27, 2016

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.

Cross-count- oh. Oh dear.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure that the paper stuff is that it's special oil paper. The Fire Paper is probably oil paper that's designed to spark when you rub it on a weapon, so that the weapon is lit up. The Bolt Paper was made by Archibald, much like the Tonitrus and Spark Hunter Badge, so I'm thinking it's covered in Oil retrieved from Darkbeast Paarl's zombie corpse, and instead of lighting on fire when the paper sparks it produces the Blue Lightning.

Also Paarl's lightning goes away when you break any of his limbs, which is a mechanic for most of the larger monsters in the game. If you manage to break his head you can also Visceral his skull, but that's harder than just smashing a leg and then swapping sides so he's permanently stuck on the ground. Finally there is another thing the Spark Hunter Badge does, it unlocks Bolt Paper in the store, which is kind of important for later as some of the nastiest bosses in the game are weak to Bolt.

The fact that you're using the Kirkhammer shows off limb breaking quite nicely, as I'm pretty sure Blunt Weapons count as more damaging for this purpose, in return for less health return on hit.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Witches of Hemwick? More like Dentists of Hemwick

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 10: The Long Con

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So one of the dudes 14 minutes in had a katana and I'm not gonna lie that looks really bizarre in this victorian era slasher flick.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, the guy who goes on about confederacy and purity. He's not suspect at all!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

So one of the dudes 14 minutes in had a katana and I'm not gonna lie that looks really bizarre in this victorian era slasher flick.

I'm sure weebs existed even during the Victorian era.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure that's a cutlass. Also the way you get to befriend Djura is just seeing Paarl. If you've already killed the Blood-Starved Beast you can warp to that lantern and come up from behind too. You just can't come through the front because when neutral that makes Djura mad. When friendly it doesn't but you have to go befriend him, and if you kill any of the Beast Patients he gets mad again.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 11: Understand the Concept of Snake

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

tag urself i'm snorb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Its interesting that they call it ant-clockwise rather than counter-clockwise in the game. Not sure if that was due to general theme-ing or was counter-clockwise not a term during the victorian era?

• Locked thread