Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It'll be interesting to see fresh reactions to the game, esp since I'd say the story if Bloodborne is much better than other Souls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The e in Gascoigne is silent, btw.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sad trombone sounds.

What in the world could have caused that?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

One thing I like is, now that the Cathedral dweller mentions it, houses with those little insence-burners have people who are sane, because it acts as a beast-repellent.

Edit: Also, because the hammer has a little hollow on it that fits one half of the haft, I wonder if it was originally designed to transform between a normal hammer and a 'blunt axe'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Don't worry. THAT joke has a much more appropriate at another spot in the game!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Aw, yer commentators didn't notice the oddity of the blood coming from the blood-starved beast.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's interesting how the co-commentators think the woman npc is a werewolf, considering how she comments on how you smell. If you guys had been paying attention, EVERYONE detects you by smell. Gascoigne rants about blood smelling. The Church warden, he talks about how he missed you because the incense masks your scent, the mistrustful man talks about how he can't stand the smell of your breath. The people of Yarnham, for some reason, are either naturally, or ritually, blind. Smell is their primary sense.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 13, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, at least vampires can take a bath.

Even if it is in the blood of virgins.

Edit: Can I also say, the music for Amelia is probably one of my favorite pieces in the game?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 18, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My favorite Tim Burton movie is Big Fish, because it is his least Tim-Burton film.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It may not be how you make bacon, but it sure is how you get chitlins!

Edit: Those faux-witches weren't trying to re-enact Marathon Man, thet're trying to re-enact Un Chien Andalou.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 27, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, the guy who goes on about confederacy and purity. He's not suspect at all!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I have to admit, the snake-enemies are the worse enemy design in this game.

Edit: Are you planning to use any other weapon besides from the hammer?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Somewhere, David Icke starts sweating and doesn't know why.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh Dvac. So distrustful!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah, it should be pointed out that killing Rom did not trigger the changes, per say. Rom more... hid the effects of what Yarnham REALLY looks like.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Aw, poor Eileen.

Edit: Also, a sky-burial refers to the unusual, but interesting, funerary rite of systematically butchering the corpse of the dead so as to feed it to carrion birds.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The sound design of this game is top-notch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ooh! Are you gonna use that key in the next episode? Because if so, it won't be too long before I can go into what I am most impressed with in this game!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, the transporting baths are the weakest thing, I thin, design-wise. There's no... build-up for it, and it is only at that place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Are they? They're nowhere near as tall or pale.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know, I always thought it was supposed to be pronounced 'Ah-mig-dallah', not 'Ah-mig-dahlah'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh! You're so close to the point where I want to discuss the best part about Bloodborne mythos!

Also, that was the ballsiest take on those four werewolves in the big hall.

Also, 'Make Contact' is the theoretical way people are supposed to communicate with aliens, because it is supposed to demonstrate a basic right-angled triangle, and thus communicate that we can understand geometry, and are thus intelligent.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah. Now we can talk about what I really like about this game; it manages to make a subject of body horror based off of... well, at the risk of sounding totally nuts... but feminine mystique but specifically pregnancy.

Now, the latter is pretty darn clear, what with the references to the Old Ones mourning for a child they can never have; the One Reborn being birthed from the moon, the nightmare newborn etc. etc. But the former is also present; the School of Mensis is probably the most blatant allusion, but the whole premise of healing blood in the game; all the blood comes from women. All the blood saints are women, and the healing blood vials you use for general health come from the daughter of the cosmos. And, to ram the point home even more unsubtley, what type of blood is associated with women and with the moon?

So yeah, the body horror of this game does rely a lot on birth and pregnancy and menstruation and yet... I can't say I've ever noted it being misogynistic. The women characters aren't patronized, demonized or demeaned specifically because of their gender. Like the male characters they are... well, characters, distinct and with their own drives. And THAT, in conjunction with the earlier stuff on the body horror of this game, surprised me and impressed me.

Oh yeah, the music used for the death montage? Here.

Edit: Respect will be 'shewn'? Bad job, transcribers.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 22, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah, you're about to fight the best set boss (please note, not the best boss fight) in the game. Looking forward to it!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

As a lore boss, I love Micolash, because the whole level is a literal nightmare. The one where you are lost and running late, you can't find where you are supposed to go, you're being way-laid by malefactors... my mind was blown when I realised that.

Also, I can't hate on Micolash too much. Guy just wants to get as high as gently caress with aliens. Who doesn't?

Edit: We need to talk about Kevin.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Those are some grody pigs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Huh, I just realised that when Gherman dies he makes the contact gesture.

Also, Gherman's music is probably the best in the whole game.

Edit: I do agree that the ending is a bit... vague and a bit out of left-field.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 14, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, the Hunter's nightmare, if I remembering the key item correctly, is where Hunters who are blood-drunk, but not actually beasts, get sent to when they die.

By that, I mean that those who are sent there to hunt continually are not really sent there for eternal struggle to be their 'punishment', as it were - at least as I interpret it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That was one rude mansquito at 09:42.

Edit: Actually, the sun really reminds me of a... particular type of eye disfigurement? Damned if I can remember what it is called, though.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's interesting, the design of Ludwig; his 'human' head is essentially a mockery of the Bergymwerth scholar's original goals - he has only eyes on the inside of his head, but is most certainly NOT enlightened. Kinda... a cruel irony, as it were.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Certainly a Call from Beyond is the best of boy beams.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wow that Living Failure fight was... horribly long. Are they resistant to whatever damage the wheel gives out?

Edit: Hah! Does Maria hold her gun to the side when she shoots?!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 13, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Damnit, what's the music that's played during the Maria montage?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man the wheel kinda sucks.

Edit: I think this link may be of interest considering the last thing talked about.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 15, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

They're not fish-dogs, they're obviously dogfish!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

One thing I do like about the Hamlet is that you can see how flooded the place usually gets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I can't help but feel pity for the poor creature; even if he is a bastard to fight.

Also, I think the reason that Kos is so named is because Hippocrates - the first healer - actually comes from the island of the same name.

Edit: Last scene - I didn't know you could cosplay as OctoDad!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 1, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

No, no. The currency has a different name, so the video should be titled 'A Story of Steel and Blood Echo's told through Time'.

Edit: I just realised Gehrman dying looks like he's trying to make contact one last time.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

C'mon. Obviously Bad Cop and Badder Cop are on the hunt for bad blood.

• Locked thread