Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

naem I think you have a Squirralalo Bill on your hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

naem posted:

Somebody was hunting squirrels in the park near my house and leaving them like tiny bearskin rugs, I saw 4 or five I've the course of a year. One was draped over a bus stop handrail

squirrel tastes good you should have taken the offering of your squirrel god

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Gardening is dope as hell

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Gardening is terrible. It makes you need to go outside at the absolute worst part of the year when it is 110 degrees outside. You get dirty. Bugs touch you while you garden. It's bad for your smooth, pliant, princly/princessly hands. It's boring and very autismal. You end up using shitloads of water and fertilizer to make lovely fruits and vegetables that look half as good as what you could go buy at the store for almost no money.

Though I do admit that anything you grow at home will taste at least 5x better than supermarket produce tho. Who cares though if you want flavor you can eat doritos whachu dooin with fruits or veggies, lol

Gardening verdict: dumb and bad.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Besides fruit, it is nice to see something grow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Wendigee posted:

can I ask for plant advice? :blush:

I stole a twig of honey suckle, my favorite plant ever from childhood and used growth hormone to make it sprout. Its been in a ...very large pot for about 3 years now, and it just flowered for the first time this spring.

I want to plant it in my yard so it can get bigger. Its reached max size in the pot at about 3 feet.

What's the best way to plant it and let it expand without it going apeshit and just taking over everything?

I'm in 6b... I was considering putting a sheet of the hatched wood stuff on my second level deck but I was afraid the honeysuckle would make the wasps even worse there.

Maybe a trestle resting against the side of my house? the back is just that plastic siding stuff so I don't think the vines would destroy it?

I also considered a gazebo or pergola but again, worried about wasps incoming and also maybe the vines destroying the wood.

[edit] when i grew p poor we had chain link fence and it was perfect for honey suckle. That poo poo would just grow all over everything and own. Im not allowed to have a fence right now because it might block the view to my lake for the people that didn't get as good a lot as me. Makes no sense its my lot I should be able to block everyone elses views with my amazing honeysuckle but alas I would get in trouble with the home owners association.

I could, in the future, put up wrought iron fence but my neighbors probably don't want the honeysuckle on their fences because they bitches.

Start running for positions on that loving HOA right now and get your friends on it too the get rid of all the things you don't like. Bonus is you can put in dumb poo poo like for ing your neighbors to put up gigantic trump walls on their property which will piss them off and make everyone want the HOA to be gone. Then you can pretend to be the hero and destroy the dastardly HOA.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Zeluth posted:

Besides fruit, it is nice to see something grow.

wat dis?

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Gardening is rad and good. I'm in zone 7b (Arkansas), growing lots of tomatoes, okra, squash, cucumbers, banana peppers. All of my bell peppers drowned this year :rip: but everything else is doing great!!

This is only my second year gardening, so I'm learning a lot as I go, but lesson definitely learned with the okra getting so tall last year that everything around it was hells of sun-deprived, and learning to run the cucumbers a lot better.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

tawal posted:

Gardening is rad and good. I'm in zone 7b (Arkansas), growing lots of tomatoes, okra, squash, cucumbers, banana peppers. All of my bell peppers drowned this year :rip: but everything else is doing great!!

This is only my second year gardening, so I'm learning a lot as I go, but lesson definitely learned with the okra getting so tall last year that everything around it was hells of sun-deprived, and learning to run the cucumbers a lot better.

I love learning the lessons with gardening. This year I learned about the cilantro/coriander process. And also about the monster parsley JFC.

You gonna pickle that okra? I don't really care for okra. It's ok fried, though.

Yesterday, my husband came home from work with 2 pepper plants. One seems to be jalapeno and the other looks like banana pepper? Gotta find a place for them in the plot now.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Some will be pickled, the rest will get fried, roasted or stewed for tomatoes and okra.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

tawal posted:

Some will be pickled, the rest will get fried, roasted or stewed for tomatoes and okra.

according to my mama, that's pronounced, "okra 'n namatas"

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
I love my garden! Its always full of surprises.

This year i decided to insert some manure and sand to help with my concrete hard clay that was the year before. 1 yard of sand and 2 yards of composted chicken poo poo busted out the roto tiller and gave 'er tits. it stank like hell but now i got super soft easy to work with highly nutritious soil.

It was glorious the rhubarb loved it and the rest of the veggies i planted took to it like weeds.

But it seems that i did not clean up last year very well at all and i now have a cherry tomato infestation. I estimate that i have over 300 tomato plants currently growing and choking out all other life.

But very few actual weeds
Anyone want some tomaters?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

12gaugelobotomy posted:

I love my garden! Its always full of surprises.

This year i decided to insert some manure and sand to help with my concrete hard clay that was the year before. 1 yard of sand and 2 yards of composted chicken poo poo busted out the roto tiller and gave 'er tits. it stank like hell but now i got super soft easy to work with highly nutritious soil.

It was glorious the rhubarb loved it and the rest of the veggies i planted took to it like weeds.

But it seems that i did not clean up last year very well at all and i now have a cherry tomato infestation. I estimate that i have over 300 tomato plants currently growing and choking out all other life.

But very few actual weeds
Anyone want some tomaters?

FFS I didn't realise cherry tomatoes would pull that kind of poo poo.

Nice soil work there. I got super lucky with mine, as I live in a clay area too, but the soil in my plot is very healthy (plus tons of big fat juicy worms mmmmm).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that's the best part about gardening, all those tasty worms you can snack on while you're weeding or planting

Woodglue
May 8, 2008

Wendigee posted:

Here is my honeysuckle potted plant. I watered it a couple times this week, its been 100+ degrees for 3 weeks and its still putting out flowers! its about to sprout!

http://imgur.com/hIyq4BL

This, I think, is the american version because there is no fruit?

That is definitely the invasive species known as honey suckle. It will turn your yard into a poo poo show. Mature plants will produce tiny red berries that birds will eat and spread like plague. It also spreads by sending shallow roots outward radially forming new root balls which make new sprouts ad infinitum.

I live in the midwest and just murdered around 100 individual interconnected honey suckle plants the previous owner left alone to take over the rear of my yard. Its a trick get a brush axe and hack that poo poo to bits.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I live in 10a.

A few times a year I plant some seeds or seedlings hoping I'll get cheap and awesome veges but they mostly just die when I let nature takes its course.

Winners so far are chillies, saw tooth coriander, lemon grass, rosemary, citrus, pineapple, chives/spring onion, capscium and the watercress which I actually bother to water.

Failures include normal coriander which always dies or goes to seed before it gets going, mulberry/mango/guava trees which get their fruit destroyed by animals before they're even ripe, basil and sage which for some reason turned into the local cat shithouse. :rip:

* Kaffir lime is on life support, planted in clay and bugs are smashing it. If it dies it dies.

Only recommendation I have is you really need to grab some of those prime fence spots early, no one wants to "steal" your fruit and it's prime real estate for certain plants. I moved in mid way through the expansion stage and didn't notice the war, so there's poo poo from before I moved in that I have no idea if the neighbours like or not, newer poo poo that I just have to accept and no room for me to get in on the action without delicately asking.

Woden fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 24, 2016

Woodglue
May 8, 2008
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-18-in-Steel-Blade-Clearing-Hatchet-385071-1001/206398469

I got this one. Good for woody stemmed brush and splitting the skulls of your enemies.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Woden posted:

I live in 10a.

A few times a year I plant some seeds or seedlings hoping I'll get cheap and awesome veges but they mostly just die when I let nature takes its course.

Winners so far are chillies, saw tooth coriander, lemon grass, rosemary, citrus, pineapple, chives/spring onion, capscium and the watercress which I actually bother to water.

Failures include normal coriander which always dies or goes to seed before it gets going, mulberry/mango/guava trees which get their fruit destroyed by animals before they're even ripe, basil and sage which for some reason turned into the local cat shithouse. :rip:

* Kaffir lime is on life support, planted in clay and bugs are smashing it. If it dies it dies.

Only recommendation I have is you really need to grab some of those prime fence spots early, no one wants to "steal" your fruit and it's prime real estate for certain plants. I moved in mid way through the expansion stage and didn't notice the war, so there's poo poo from before I moved in that I have no idea if the neighbours like or not, newer poo poo that I just have to accept and no room for me to get in on the action without delicately asking.

Dudebro if I could grow citrus and pineapples I would be dancing all day and all night. Have you tried bananas?

As far as veggies... considering stuff that people in hot climates eat... but like it's mostly fruit hahahah

Where do you live?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

naem posted:

Somebody was hunting squirrels in the park near my house and leaving them like tiny bearskin rugs, I saw 4 or five I've the course of a year. One was draped over a bus stop handrail

You gonna get serial killed.

Woden
May 6, 2006

psychokitty posted:

Dudebro if I could grow citrus and pineapples I would be dancing all day and all night. Have you tried bananas?

As far as veggies... considering stuff that people in hot climates eat... but like it's mostly fruit hahahah

Where do you live?

East coast and in the pink:

Bananas are cheap as gently caress so never even thought of growing them, if the bats/possums/etc. wont eat them that could be a winner though, hmmm.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Woden posted:

East coast and in the pink:

Bananas are cheap as gently caress so never even thought of growing them, if the bats/possums/etc. wont eat them that could be a winner though, hmmm.

AHAHAHA IN THE PINK

sorry

Didn't consider Australia. Bats do like bananas, or so I hear.

The thing about coriander/cilantro is you let it go to seed, then the seeds are supposed to drop and make new plants. I would think they would do well in a hot climate since all those Thai and Viet ppl are eating it???

I wonder if like Chinese longbeans or other types of legumes might work. Also some variety of corn should work there I mean poo poo corn should grow anywhere thanks to its genetic mutability.

Woden
May 6, 2006

psychokitty posted:

AHAHAHA IN THE PINK

sorry

Didn't consider Australia. Bats do like bananas, or so I hear.

The thing about coriander/cilantro is you let it go to seed, then the seeds are supposed to drop and make new plants. I would think they would do well in a hot climate since all those Thai and Viet ppl are eating it???

I wonder if like Chinese longbeans or other types of legumes might work. Also some variety of corn should work there I mean poo poo corn should grow anywhere thanks to its genetic mutability.

The jerks living with me threw out the coriander/cilantro seeds I had stored to plant later along with some nice chilli seeds. Arseholes didn't even put them in the coriander seed herb jar/pot/vial. Total dick move.

Fresh beans are awesome though and they can sometimes be expensive for what they are. Never heard of chinese longbeans but I will now hunt them down and plant those fuckers since they look tasty as hell.

Woden fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 24, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
also anyone else in zone 8a that can help me with other newb questions

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

thathonkey posted:

also anyone else in zone 8a that can help me with other newb questions

No fool. You are the last surviving member of zone 8a. 😔

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I spent the past few weeks clearing some space out back and building a deck with a class loving pergola, just look at this poo poo:

I'm gonna plant climbing roses on the corners, anyone have a good idea as to which cultivar? I want pretty flowers but also good fragrance which is tricky sometimes. I'm in zone 5, I believe.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Get one of these
http://i.imgur.com/c2wRFnh.mp4

I got one of these for my dad because he loves feeding birds and the squirrels are always wrecking his poo poo
sending squirrels flying in all directions is fun for the whole family

Its me. I'm the terrible neighbor that feeds squirrels because they're cute and I like them and I want a squirrel army of my own someday and maybe a squirrel airforce of sugar gliders with little helmets and goggles.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is the most effective way to water my southern california drought land? Should I just become a cactus farmer?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FogHelmut posted:

What is the most effective way to water my southern california drought land? Should I just become a cactus farmer?

start an alfalfa farm sell it all to china gently caress everyone else

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

King of Bees posted:

No fool. You are the last surviving member of zone 8a. 😔

it was weird that nobody else came to work today

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Actually I planted a couple of rose bushes two weeks ago. They have mulch and drip irrigation, and I planted them with the fancy rose soil, and its all good. But we got a heat wave last weekend, and all of the flowers died and dropped off. Leaves look healthy and fine though. There are a lot of roses in the neighborhood and mine are the only ones that dropped the flowers. Shock from being planted combined with the heat?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FogHelmut posted:

Actually I planted a couple of rose bushes two weeks ago. They have mulch and drip irrigation, and I planted them with the fancy rose soil, and its all good. But we got a heat wave last weekend, and all of the flowers died and dropped off. Leaves look healthy and fine though. There are a lot of roses in the neighborhood and mine are the only ones that dropped the flowers. Shock from being planted combined with the heat?

That would be my guess. Roses are assholes.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I planted a rose bush next to a couple others that somebody who lived here previously had planted and didn't do any of that fancy poo poo and it's doing great. just got a couple new blooms today and it has been hot as poo poo here past week or two :shrug:

edit: but i planted them like a month before the heat so that might have made a big difference cmpared to yours if it is env shock

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I got a bunch of houseplants and poo poo. What's your opinion on that op?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

various cheeses posted:

I got a bunch of houseplants and poo poo. What's your opinion on that op?

Houseplants are cool. Beware of cats though. Our dwarf orange tree is sort of a houseplant - it's in the sunroom bc booger (the evil horible demon cat) isnt allowed out there to destroy it.

I got a book on growing tropical houseplants by almost winning a contest in cunts with spoons. Let me know if you need advice on growing one of these indoors

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I got me a red mater!

My first one! It's a San Manzano. :woop:

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm NY, my sunflowers are about 4 feet tall or so and I'd guess they have at least a month and a half unitl they bloom. Super pumped.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

psychokitty posted:

I got me a red mater!

My first one! It's a San Manzano. :woop:

Baller

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Not being able to own a garden is the worst part of being a New Zealander :(.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Bushmaori posted:

Not being able to own a garden is the worst part of being a New Zealander :(.

what? like it's not allowed???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Never fear op, if I discover an infestation of cats in my home they will be culled like the invasive species they are.

• Locked thread