Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i need some more help yall. so i have three types of pepper plants:

cowhorn hots
jalapeno
poblano

they're both in pots in the same spot and ive been caring for them roughly the same. the leaves are all wilted (but still nice shade of green) on the cowhorns. this happened once before and it came back but not it has happened again and they're not growing anything since. just wondering why it happened so I can try to make adjustments accordingly? the jalapenos and poblano are doing great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Maybe a calcium/magnesium deficiency or ph balance fuckery

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Bushmaori posted:

Not being able to own a garden is the worst part of being a New Zealander :(.

Its okay just plant a few sheep. I hear they take to middle earth nicely.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fart Puzzle posted:

Maybe a calcium/magnesium deficiency or ph balance fuckery

how would i go about confirming / remedying those problems i'm a new here

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
whenever i try to google for gardening questions i am overwhelmed with information and sources so i'm not just being completely lazy i have no idae how to navigate that world (YET !). i will snap some pics of the plants later once the sun goes down. the heat and humidity ahve been intense so everything is taking a hit right now during the height of the day.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psychokitty posted:

I got me a red mater!

My first one! It's a San Manzano. :woop:

Mmmm.

If you like San Marzano tomatoes, get yourself some of these seeds: http://www.growitalian.com/tomato-san-marzano-redorta-106-94/

That's a pretty normal one from my garden a few years ago. drat those are tasty maters.

Oh and to the guy with all of those reseeded tomatoes, they'll only be any good if they came from an open pollinated/heirloom variety. Otherwise you'll get all sorts of mutant freak tomatoes that probably won't taste very good.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Sorry honkey I don't know much about fertilizing. :( Do you have a garden store or place like that you could go to and ask for advice?

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
I honeysuckled your mom last night op

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

psychokitty posted:

Sorry honkey I don't know much about fertilizing. :( Do you have a garden store or place like that you could go to and ask for advice?

Farm stores are extremely awesome places to chew the fat. One time I got a 5lb bag of potatoes for free

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

What is the most effective way to water my southern california drought land? Should I just become a cactus farmer?

Start an almond farm and buy time on NPR to tell everyone that the water requirements of almond trees are not unique so it's okay that it takes a whole gallon of water to make one lovely almond.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Also: pronounce it ammond or al(like the name)-mond, instead of how a human being would pronounce it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zeno-25 posted:

Mmmm.

If you like San Marzano tomatoes, get yourself some of these seeds: http://www.growitalian.com/tomato-san-marzano-redorta-106-94/

That's a pretty normal one from my garden a few years ago. drat those are tasty maters.

Oh and to the guy with all of those reseeded tomatoes, they'll only be any good if they came from an open pollinated/heirloom variety. Otherwise you'll get all sorts of mutant freak tomatoes that probably won't taste very good.

I didn't even know what San Marzanos looked like but now the tiny dog dick shaped fruits in my garden make more sense. I thought they were just going through an awkward puberty.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

What is the most effective way to water my southern california drought land? Should I just become a cactus farmer?

Instead of lawn grass, you can use a drought resistant groundcover like

Dimondia

and then native trees like bay laurel and Ray Hartman ceanothus and olive and lemon

and like California poppies and mock orange and lavender and grape-soda lupine and aureus aureus and manzanita and sticky monkeyflower and Guadalupe Island rock daisy

mmmmmmmmmm.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

thathonkey posted:

how would i go about confirming / remedying those problems i'm a new here

try to find a hydroponics store or gardening shop, they will have nutrients and testing kits and stuff. A soil test kit is like 8 bux or you could get regular ph strips and add a bit of water to a sample of soil and test the ph of that. i would suggest getting some calmag for your peppers since heavy fruiting plants like that tend to use a whole bunch of the stuff and you end up with pale green wrinkly looking plants

e: usually you will want your soil and nutrient solution in the 5.8-6.5 range in my experience but of course it varies

Fart Puzzle fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 26, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
So my real takeaway from this thread is buy a 50 lb bag of mint seeds and throw a cupful at every garden I happen to wander by. Thanks GBS yet again for enriching my life

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

So my real takeaway from this thread is buy a 50 lb bag of mint seeds and throw a cupful at every garden I happen to wander by. Thanks GBS yet again for enriching my life

Lol awesome. Cheaper to do sunflowers though. If those suckers don't grow they'll attract all sorts of varmints (also good lures for your squirrel blind).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

psychokitty posted:

i usually just go to home depot but i bet someone there could help me. anyway, they're looking better today though after cooling over night or whatever

Fart Puzzle posted:

try to find a hydroponics store or gardening shop, they will have nutrients and testing kits and stuff. A soil test kit is like 8 bux or you could get regular ph strips and add a bit of water to a sample of soil and test the ph of that. i would suggest getting some calmag for your peppers since heavy fruiting plants like that tend to use a whole bunch of the stuff and you end up with pale green wrinkly looking plants

e: usually you will want your soil and nutrient solution in the 5.8-6.5 range in my experience but of course it varies

thanks for the info and i am going to try the calmag if nothing else maybe it'll get some of these other plants to finally start yielding peppers :shrug: or they'll just die in my care and i will buy more and try again next year

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Maoist Pussy posted:

Instead of lawn grass, you can use a drought resistant groundcover like

Dimondia

and then native trees like bay laurel and Ray Hartman ceanothus and olive and lemon

and like California poppies and mock orange and lavender and grape-soda lupine and aureus aureus and manzanita and sticky monkeyflower and Guadalupe Island rock daisy

mmmmmmmmmm.

Can I walk on this stuff? Will it prevent the neighbors from letting their dogs poo poo on my yard?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

i need some more help yall. so i have three types of pepper plants:

cowhorn hots
jalapeno
poblano

they're both in pots in the same spot and ive been caring for them roughly the same. the leaves are all wilted (but still nice shade of green) on the cowhorns. this happened once before and it came back but not it has happened again and they're not growing anything since. just wondering why it happened so I can try to make adjustments accordingly? the jalapenos and poblano are doing great though.

hi pepper expert here i grow fuckin shitloads of peppers both hot and not what is ur zone bra what kinda soil why are they in pots how often and how much do you water them what macronutrients and fertilizer do you give HOW MUCH loving NITROGEN ARE YOU GIVING THEM ITS TOO MUCH NITROGSFGL;JHSDLKJS;FHNL;FGJ;LFKGHFDG

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

hi pepper expert here i grow fuckin shitloads of peppers both hot and not what is ur zone bra what kinda soil why are they in pots how often and how much do you water them what macronutrients and fertilizer do you give HOW MUCH loving NITROGEN ARE YOU GIVING THEM ITS TOO MUCH NITROGSFGL;JHSDLKJS;FHNL;FGJ;LFKGHFDG

he's in 8a as he said before. and yeah honkey, why ARE they in pots??? hmm???

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Woodglue posted:

That is definitely the invasive species known as honey suckle. It will turn your yard into a poo poo show. Mature plants will produce tiny red berries that birds will eat and spread like plague. It also spreads by sending shallow roots outward radially forming new root balls which make new sprouts ad infinitum.

I live in the midwest and just murdered around 100 individual interconnected honey suckle plants the previous owner left alone to take over the rear of my yard. Its a trick get a brush axe and hack that poo poo to bits.

fffffff

is this one safe? It says its native... and its purrty.... I really just love that jasmine smell I associate with japanese honey suckle and I think thats why I like jasmine tea... its just a scent of childhood.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/perennial-plants/lonicera-sempervirens-major-wheeler

Looks like its happy in a pot so it shouldn't be able to go insane on me.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 26, 2016

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Start running for positions on that loving HOA right now and get your friends on it too the get rid of all the things you don't like. Bonus is you can put in dumb poo poo like for ing your neighbors to put up gigantic trump walls on their property which will piss them off and make everyone want the HOA to be gone. Then you can pretend to be the hero and destroy the dastardly HOA.

This isn't a horrible idea. The assbags even outsourced the collection to a private company last year and surprise the yearly fees went up.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Wendigee posted:

fffffff

is this one safe? It says its native... and its purrty.... I really just love that jasmine smell I associate with japanese honey suckle and I think thats why I like jasmine tea... its just a scent of childhood.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/perennial-plants/lonicera-sempervirens-major-wheeler

Looks like its happy in a pot so it shouldn't be able to go insane on me.

y not just plant jasmine?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

psychokitty posted:

y not just plant jasmine?

well I used to like eating the honey from the blossoms as a kid too, also I didn't know it would grow here... but it looks like carolina jasmine is in zone 6 and I'm 6a and its only going to get hotter.

[edit] ewww its poisonous and will spread to ground cover...not good for the neighbor's cat or my lawn.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Wendigee posted:

well I used to like eating the honey from the blossoms as a kid too, also I didn't know it would grow here... but it looks like carolina jasmine is in zone 6 and I'm 6a and its only going to get hotter.

[edit] ewww its poisonous and will spread to ground cover...not good for the neighbor's cat or my lawn.

gently caress lawns

and cats

i thought we had covered that

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

psychokitty posted:

gently caress lawns

and cats

i thought we had covered that

Trumpet honeysuckle may be idea. Had those as a kid too and its suggested by the feds as a good replacement for japanese suckle

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/InvasivesAlternatives.html

[yes gently caress them but also i don't want to kill anyones cat or dog or pay HOA fines. Once I take over the HOA I'll require carolina jasmine in all yards and no animals outside the house okay? also i love my kitty but hes not allowed outside because he's a retard and he would try to go hug the coyotes that live around here]

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna make a pasta sauce using some garden stuff. Got some good Marconi peps and banana peps. But no drat tomatoes! Oh I suddenly have a poo poo ton of arugula now. So salad tonight too i guess.!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

Can I walk on this stuff? Will it prevent the neighbors from letting their dogs poo poo on my yard?

You can walk on dimondia, poo poo is indestructible.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

You can walk on dimondia, poo poo is indestructible.

my internet skills says its swell as long as you weed it until it takes hold. Also some alternatives: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/23/news/la-lh-dymondia-and-three-other-lawn-alternatives-20130123

[edit] omg I want this one.. Tops out at 6-8 inches so you don't need to mow unless you give a poo poo.
arex glauca. With fluffy, beautiful blades — a little narrower than Carex pansa and similar in color to dymondia — Carex glauca is another good choice. It spreads rapidly, and, if you accept blades that are 6 to 8 inches tall, it never needs mowing. The effect is akin to a meadow, with blades that are exceptionally soft to the touch. If you want Carex glauca to lie flat underfoot, simply mow it once per month. It produces seed heads, not flowers, so it attracts few bees. As a spreader, it does need edging or mulch to hold it to its territory.

[bonus] it will eat all your neighbors grass over time and then the grass-mowing industrial complex will fail :clint:

[negative] your hoa won't allow it because its cheap and doesn't need watering.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 26, 2016

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress cats and gently caress any rear end in a top hat shithead who lets their cat out

FYI: acetaminophen will kill cats much quicker and much more humanely than antifreeze! Kill any and all stray/feral cats you encounter, you will be doing a service to your local environment! :science:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

psychokitty posted:

he's in 8a as he said before. and yeah honkey, why ARE they in pots??? hmm???

theyre in very large pots but uhh ... cause that is what my wife planted them in :shrug: we are planning to move next year so i figure that was her rationale but would it be better to just de-pot them anyway?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

gently caress cats and gently caress any rear end in a top hat shithead who lets their cat out

FYI: acetaminophen will kill cats much quicker and much more humanely than antifreeze! Kill any and all stray/feral cats you encounter, you will be doing a service to your local environment! :science:

:eyepop:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
will have to get info on the fert, soil but how do you check nitrogen? also we water them pretty infrequently maybe once or twice a week based on how the soil feels ? it is hard to tell if they are wilting due to too water issues or not but it has been in the 90 degree temps so that is affecting them too. could be a combo of both

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

King of Bees posted:

Gonna make a pasta sauce using some garden stuff. Got some good Marconi peps and banana peps. But no drat tomatoes! Oh I suddenly have a poo poo ton of arugula now. So salad tonight too i guess.!

Unbelievable. What are you going to grill? If you're set on a veggie dinner, get some shishkabobs with cherry maters, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Then grill some zukes (zucchini)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Like I eye popped you ironically but what the gently caress? I live in a small surburb. All pets belong to the neighbors there are not stray or feral cat packs here. If you kill a cat its gonna have a collar a name and a phone number on it.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't mind feral cats when talking about gardens because they eat rear end in a top hat birds and chipmunks and leave my veggies alone

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just don't leave it overnight in your room because you'll wake up unable to breathe with lungs full or spores or some junk. :v: It's not a good way to wake up in the middle of the night.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Please don't be cruel to the cats.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wendigee posted:

Like I eye popped you ironically but what the gently caress? I live in a small surburb. All pets belong to the neighbors there are not stray or feral cat packs here. If you kill a cat its gonna have a collar a name and a phone number on it.

lol look at this idiot who thinks feral cats just aren't a thing where he lives

E: even if it did, so what? other people's animals destroying your garden is their own loving liability, not yours. Protecting your property is your own right. I live in a small suburb too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

reignofevil posted:

Please don't be cruel to the cats.

Yeah I agree. Earlier I was just being a suck my balls kind of goon.

• Locked thread