Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'd like them a hell of a lot if they went with Vegas Knights because of the play on words.
Vegas Black Knights is way harder to market.

The team mascot should be Martin Lawrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Manny Legace's legacy is not hanging himself from the Rexall rafters in 2006

Good thing too, or he'd still be up there since nobody's had much reason to go up there since.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Levitate posted:

is that like an old arena being converted to NHL hockey or did they really build a new arena with lovely facilities (I haven't paid attention nor give a poo poo about Vegas)

It opened this year so I'm guessing it was built with an NHL team in mind.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

It's impressive that in such a short time Vegas had managed to outdo Philly for dumbest team reporting.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Duke Chin posted:

If LV doesn't get one of those fancy rear end light projection deals for their ice that makes the whole thing look like a giant slot machine then just contract the whole loving thing cause they're doing it all wrong. :colbert:

Any one of us on this thread could market this team better than how they actually will.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Cabbit posted:

I look forward to referring to my new team as the Knights into perpetuity, praying everyone drops the Golden part for expediency's sake.

Most people tend to call Columbus the Jackets, so I'm guessing this will probably be likely to happen.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

hifi posted:

hfboards is ripping on the 24.4MM figure but I think what they're showing is that the coyotes pay the most into their arena? Like the preds figure doesn't make any sense if you're expecting it to be the cost of the ice and janitors or whatever, and not what nashville agreed to to get hockey in their city.

The Preds have a super favourable lease agreement that lets them earn up to an $8.4 million subsidy based on financial incentives (the city pays the team $1m/yr to manage the arena for them).

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are there any players likely to be available where it actually would be a good idea for them to draft them? Like, surely somebody has to be their Brian Bellows or whatever.

Also what's the latest on their name?

Namestikov from Tampa, Jarnkrok from Nashville, and Dumba from Minnesota are good long term options that will likely be exposed.

Oh, and Matt Murray. :getin:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

iospace posted:

Delayed, but three things. 1. The main school in Wisconsin with hockey is UW-Madison, commonly shortened to UW. UW-M is UW-Milwaukee, which doesn't have hockey :eng101:.

Secondly, Hockey is the one big four (five if you count soccer) sport where Chicago does NOT have a Wisconsin rival. Any expansion team will likely have a lot of resistance from the 'Hawks if Milwaukee is the primary city for consideration.

Thirdly, they built the Bradley Center in the 80s with the intention of drawing an NHL franchise and to give the Bucks a bigger arena (seriously, the Bucks' home was only 10k large at the time, so I don't blame them on that one). The NHL team never happened. The new Bucks arena is capable of hosting hockey games, but only on an "as needed" basis (read: NHL preseason and NCAA Frozen Four), meaning that the basketball court (or any other floor they use) will not have the insulation needed to have it on top of a permanent ice sheet.

As much as I'd love a Milwaukee franchise, the chance died when the NHL didn't bother with the Bradley Center.

As much as I wanted a team in Milwaukee before, I've reached the point where I'm happy to be an AHL town now. My half-season tickets only cost $320/year and I still get very high quality hockey, plus the team is way more accessable than you'd ever see in the NHL.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Emetic Hustler posted:

Hawks have never had the Chicago Wolves as an AHL affiliate. Rockford since 2007 and before that it was the Norfolk Admirals from 2000. Blackhawks might have soured on the Wolves when they pulled more spectators than the Hawks during the dark years and actually won games.

The Wolves were founded in 1994 as an IHL expansion team as part of the league's effort to expand into larger markets. Most of the other cities the IHL expanded to though (Denver, Twin Cities, and Houston) didn't have a nearby NHL team. While normally this would hurt, the Blackhawks we such a garbage organisation that the Wolves were able to successfully market themselves as a cheaper alternative for families that normally couldn't afford to go to a Hawks game. Needless to say, the Wolves and Hawks didn't exactly have a great relationship.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

DJExile posted:

lol, i get the annoyance to a certain degree but loving every minor league team in every sport markets itself as the less-expensive alternative to the big leagues, that's not new

I should add, the Wolves also broadcast all their games on TV, so for a while they were the highest level hockey on Chicago TV.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Although I think I would rather they take Bellemare

Dollars to donuts it will be Weal though

Weal is a UFA. I'm betting it's Raffl.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

fits posted:

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/876498394172334084

gmgm gonna go full mob boss for this draft, its great

GMGM took the Vegas job solely to have revenge on Poile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I want GMGM to pull off a mask at the roster reveal like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

except instead of McMahon it's Jay Feaster.

• Locked thread